“DO NOT PAY ALOT FOR THIS HOTEL” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of BelleVue Palma Real

BelleVue Palma Real
Ranked #41 of 62 Hotels in Varadero
Montreal, Canada
“DO NOT PAY ALOT FOR THIS HOTEL”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

BELLEVUE PALMA REAL 3STAR ONLY.WERE do i start if you pay 600.00 or less per person a week.this is not bad if you like to walk,alot shopping till you dropyou came to the right place.But for comfort and good eating DO NOT COME HERE.The food will never change in cuba.Ive been in cuba 4 times now it was the frist time in a 3star hotel.So i knew for the food.but when they say in the book a real jewel for the price.this is a joke?FRISTwhat i hate about this hotel my frist room1423 bed not great very noisey frige that 2 days later works and needed a paint job i was change to a second room4405 the walls were dirty plus you have to pay for bottle water.And also a lot of cubian people go to this hotel with there whole family they take everything so when you get to the buffet there is nothing left to eat.YOU ARE BETTER TO PAY MORE TO GET 4TO 5STAR HOTEL IN CUBA.TO EAT WELL AND HAVE WHAT YOU NEED.VACATION 16 APRIL A WEEK NEVER AGAIN.

4 Thank huskey
BlueBayBelleVue, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at BelleVue Palma Real, responded to this review, 18 May 2012
Dear client,
We feel we provide good value, but it seems you had different expectations. I appreciate the feedback and feel sorry for any inconvenience.
KInd regards
Palma Real team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Barrie, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

I read through a number of reviews for this resort. I wasn't expecting anything huge but thought it would be good for a first mother/daughter vacation. Overall, the resort is not bad but it is definitely not somewhere I would go again. I always make the best of wherever I go and this was no different.

Let's start off with the check in process. Like many other reviewers have said in the past, it is just one long wait. We had a full bus of people and there was only one person working the desk at 11:00 at night. Making for a very long wait to get checked in and keys for our room.

Let's move onto the rooms. Nothing special, clean and comfortable but very dated. I don't spend much time in the room so it did not play a huge part in my overall opinion of the resort. They do have a mini fridge in the room so you can keep drinks cool but they do not stock the fridge at all, not even with one bottle of water. My advice to anyone going here would be to bring an empty water bottle with you otherwise you will have to purchase water at the gift shop to have in your room. Then you can re-fill the bottle anytime at the bar.

I know quite a few people complained about the food here. I also realize that this is cuba. I did not have a problem with the food at all. In fact, I found the food here to be nicely seasoned and they had a number of different bottles of seasoning (plum sauce, mustard, ketchup, hot sauce, salad dressings etc) for your use as well. I did take my own salt, pepper, ketchup and mustard as I have needed these items in the past when visiting Cuba but I did not require them on this trip as they had more than I needed at the buffet and a la cartes. Some of the food was very repetative but I always found something to eat and never went hungry. That being said, I do have to say that not all the food was hot. They would bring out fresh french fries from the kitchen only to find that they were stone cold, not even luke warm. We did try the snack bar and had no complaints there and the food was cooked to order so it was always hot!! We also tried the italian restaurant (which you do not need reseravations for) but service was so slow that we did not go back there. We took advantage of the a la carte restaurants and had no complaints about the food to start with. The Cuban a la carte was fabulous. The Chinese a la carte was the best meal we had the entire week (or so we thought when we were eating it) until my 21 year old daughter ended up with food poisoning at 11:30 that night. Needless to say, we ended up at the hospital at 4:30 in the morning because she was completely dehydrated by then. I went down to the front desk to ask about a doctor but there is only a doctor on duty from 9-6. So they told me to take her to the clinic 2 blocks away. Unfortunately, that was not an option for us as she could not move and I could not carry her out of the room on my own. So they suggested I go to the clinic on my own and bring the doctor back. I am still unsure as to why they couldn't just call the doctor to come from the clinic but that was my only option. I left my daughter in the room alone suffering and ran to the clinic. The doctor and a male nurse ordered a car and came back to the resort with me. The doctor looked over my daughter and said we had to get her to the clinic right away. Between the male nurse and myself we were able to carry her down to the lobby into the waiting car and off to the clinic we went. We spent 5 hours there so they could get IV fluids into her along with IV pain medication. The doctor and nurse were fabulous!! They took wonderful care of my daughter and we were on our way back to the resort by 9:30. This definitely put a little damper on our vacation but it was our last day at the resort so it didn't necessarily ruin it for us either. We were able to catch our flight home at 10:40 that night with a bag full of medication for my daughter.

I do have to mention that the hotel was not very accomodating when it came to my daughter's illness. The doctor wrote us a note to the hotel telling them the patient had been given very strong medication and it would be impossible for us to check out at the normal 12:00 check out time. She required a full day of sleep in order to be able to make our flight without incident later that night. The hotel was fully booked and said they could not help us. I spoke with our AirTransat Rep and explained the situation while I had my daughter laying on the couch in the lobby until we could get all of this cleared up. Eventually after quie a bit of persuassion from our rep the hotel agreed to let us keep our room until 4:00. It gave my daugher enough time to rest and then I brought her down to the lobby to lay on their sofa until our bus picked us up for the airport. I was quite dissappointed with the fact that the resort was not even willing to work with us when my daugher was just released from the clinic. It wasn't until the AirTransat Rep talked to the manager that we got the 4 hour extension!!

Enough about all of that, let's talk about the bar. Yes, they have a pool bar at the activities pool whcih we did not go to as we preferred the quiet pool. That left us with the choice of one bar, in the lobby. My daughter and I are not drinkers at all so we only ordered soft drinks or lemonade. I had read all the reviews about the waits but thought people must be exaggerating. Trust me when I say, they were not exaggerating!! We waited in line for water or soft drinks for anywhere from 5-15 minutes. By mid-week it became very frustrating. The resort needs to install a self serve station for soft drinks and water for those of us not interested in alcohol. They would always have 3-4 staff behind the bar at all times but only one was allowed to serve drinks. The second one was for coffee service. The third one was on dishes (or glasses in this case) duty, she empties the glasses and placed them in the dishwasher all day. And the fourth person was walking around the lobby collecting dirty glasses. One bartender is definitely not enough to handle the number of people constantly at the bar. On average, you would be in a line up of 10-15 people anytime of the day. That being said, because the service was so slow people would order 8-10 drinks at a time so they didn't have to line up again so soon after!!

We did not participate in any of the daily activities put on by the entertainment staff but did enjoy the nightly shows. The staff do appear to enjoy their jobs and do a good job at it. The shows were a nice way to wind down our day and prepare us for bed each night.

The beach was beautiful!!! The white sand and blue waters were breath taking!! It is a little bit of a walk but nothing really to complain about. Keep in mind if you want shade at the beach you will have to arrive before 9:00 am in order to get a shaded spot. They only have about 20 cabana's where you could escape from the sun and heat and they were always gone before we got there. We did go out on the catamaran to go snorkling which was very enjoyable. It cost us $15.00 each for the snorkling and we were gone for about 1.5 hours so it was worth it in our opinion.

We also took advantage of the $5.00 double decker bus tour. You could ride this bus all day for $5.00 each and it was a great way to see all of Varadero. We got wonderful pictures riding on the top of the bus but you have to be careful of the trees flying by hitting you in the head!!

We went to this resort strictly because of the price. We paid $430.00 each (taxes included) and I would certainly not pay much more than that for this resort. If you get a good deal and plan on taking the plunge my advice to you is bring an empty bottle for water, bring your own towels (they want a $20.00 deposit for pool towels, they also want another $20.00 deposit for the safe in your room) and enjoy what is outside of the resort. Walking down the main street of Varadero is beautiful and there is plenty to see and enjoy!!

Room Tip: We were in buliding number 3 which is close to the quiet pool, buffet and lobby. This building is p...
5 Thank sixreeds
Guelph, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

I just came back from Varadero on Sat. Apr. 21. This was my 5th time to Cuba, 2nd to Varadero. I chose this resort because of the location and the extremely good price.

Good things:
Excellent location, 5 minutes to walk to the park, bars and restaurants.
Beautful resort with large swimming pools and clean most of the area.
Most of Staffs are friendly.
I have been to other 4-5 stars resorts in Cuba and this was the lowest stars but the best value.

Bad things:

There are too many flies at the restaurants and the fruit were sometimes rotten. I got very sick in 2006 because of the little rotten fruit in Varadero. I was very careful this time.
Not too many choices at buffet restaurant, but we are not picky, so we always found something to eat.
Elevator broken 5 times a week. It's no problem for me, but for the people who can not climb, better stay in the first floor.

I prefer to go to Cayo Coco, but will recommand this resort to a budget traveler.

Room Tip: Building 4 is quiter. We were at 4518 and you can see sun rise at the balcony.
1 Thank RRW668
Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

We just came back from a week in Cuba at the Palma Real. (Stayed April 13 - 20). This was our first time in Cuba, so we didn't know what to expect except from friends comments and reading reviews. The rooms were very basic but clean. Ours had a great view of the ocean on the forth floor, looking north (1530). Room was basic, clean, shower worked at various temperatures and pressures but was ok. We were only in the room to change and sleep, so did not care too much what we got, but loved our view. We were expecting the worst from the food but were pleasantly surprised at the variety available. We had something different from the grill each day and my wife loved the fruit selection. We stayed at the beach most of the time, but enjoyed the late afternoon at the pool bar with a DJ most days but entertainment on others. The resort had negatives if you were looking for them, but we wanted a good vacation for a reasonable price which is exactly what we got. We had heard that the service was not great or that you would have problems if you did not tip with each request. We did not find this to be the case and had no problems with the service. It was a little slow sometimes with the longest waits at the lobby bar in the evening and the beach bar around noon where they could have used extra people. We heard later that we were there the week of their school break, so they may have been understaffed. We loved the location near the centre of Varadero and walked into town almost everyday. Highly recommend the show at Calle 62. The nightly show at the resort was hit and miss. Some nights were good, others not so good. We will go back to the Palma Real next year if we can get the same price (~ $550 per person including taxes).

Room Tip: We had room 1530, overlooking the ocean. This was away from the highway and on the other side from t...
5 Thank dwilson_hotmail
Goderich, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

My wife and I, two 17 year olds and one 13 year old stayed here from April 12 to the 19th. I will break it down in things that are important for me.
Resort:
Fairly large resort. Very clean. I never saw one insect the entire time at the resort. The staff are very welcoming. The pools were large and clean. They vary from the active pool to the quiet pool. I stayed in the main party pool. Had a lot of fun. There is also a kiddy pool for the wee ones to enjoy. The rooms are large, clean and very dated. That being said, the beds were comfortable. Staying in building one is a good spot. try to stay on florr 3. Its not so bad to climb the stairs to the third fllor and you get a good view of the beach and the pool. You do have to walk a short distance to teh beach, but its very easy and the reward is a very beautiful beach.
Location:
This resort puts you right into the action. No need to take taxi's everywhere. Saying that, a quick word about taxi's...Make sure you discuss the price for the trip before getting in. They will say 10 peso's. When you arrive they tell you its 10 per person. That is alright if you are awre of the price, but a shock if you don't. Good restaurants in the area are Baracoda, La Fondue, Kiki's club and sangria.
Excursions:
We did the Jeep Safari. Great time had by all. A great way to see the back roads of Cuba. We paid through the travel agent at the resort. It was $93.00 per person. I would highly recommend this trip when in Cuba. Even my 17 year old, "this sucks" son loved this trip.
Food:
I have to be honest. Not good. Breakfest has an omlete bar. I pretty much ate there every morning. I am not a picky eater, but honestly...not good. We ate out after the first couple of days at the resort.
Cuban People:
Wonderful. The people we had interaction with all made us feel welcome to their home. I never once felt I was not safe. Even at night walking back roads. I wouldn't do that in Toronto, but never had any trouble at all in Varadero.
Beach:
One of the nicest beaches I have ever seen. I have been to some nice ones, but this one really takes the cake. You need to get to the beach early to secure a palapa. There are guys there that will help you. A tip is expected.
Tipping:
I usually tip for good service. I found that everywhere I went I recieved great service. I pretty much went tip poor by the end. Make sure you have lots of small bills to tip with.

If anyone has any specific questions please feel free to ask.

Hasta pronto Cuba!!!
Scott

Room Tip: A la carte places to eat...Chinese and Cuban. Not soo bad. Building one from third floor and up ha...
7 Thank OPP9602
HRM
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

We just returned 3 days ago from vacation in Cuba and stayed at the BelleVue Palma Real. Overall, we had a wonderful vacation. I was unsure what to expect from a 3.5 star and had set my expectations low before travelling. I was pleasantly surprised! The Palma Real was a great resort. Yes, it is need of a few repairs but overall things went very smooth. The most in need of an update was our room. We had a standard room which is on the small side and in need of a paint job but this didn't bother us as it was clean and how much time do you actually spend in your room while in Cuba.

You did have to go off resort to go to the beach, which I knew, but it's not far at all and there is a beach bar and lunch (hotdogs, hamburgers, grilled ham and cheese sandwiches and potato chips), washrooms and massage ($25 cuc's) available on the beach. These are all part of the Palma Real.

Worth mentioning, the mini fridge in the rooms are not stocked so you may have to purchase bottled water. Also, you pay a $10cuc deposit and $2cuc's per day to use the safe.

Day passes are available at the resort for $35 cuc's per person. My father was also vacationing in Varadero and was able to purchase a day pass to our resort which allowed him access to the hotel's amenities, including food and drinks included. He had to leave the resort by 11 pm and you are supposed to return the bracelet to the front desk when you leave, which we didn't know. (not given a hard time over this)

The resort is within walking distance to a mini mart type place with many little shops and markets. There is a nice rum store and cigar store within a short walk as well. I last traveled to Cuba in 2008 and notice a huge change in the amount of little shops and stores that are opened up. It was nice to see.

There were people of all ages on this resort and everyone seemed to be having a good time. I traveled with my husband and also, my cousin and and friend of hers came along as well. As a couple, we had a great time and as 2 singles, they had a great time as well.

All in all, the price was good, the hotel was good and I would definitely go back.

1 Thank rogillis
pei
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

We stayed at Palma Real from April 8 to the 15 . We knew what to expect from reading the reviews and it was as expected. We got a last min deal at a great price so we were very happy to be going back to Varadero. We flew out of Halifax with air transat . Our flight was delayed about 1.5 hr . We arrived at the hotel at midnight to find the lobby bar closing and everyone having a awesome time dancing to the music. This went on every night in the lobby . AWESOME. We were first given room 2134 I think . It was on the ground floor next the road. We did not stay there as the patio door did not lock and the AC did not work. In just a few min were were in building 4 in room 4238 . It was a small dated room but it was fine , always clean , AC was great and lots of hot water. Beach is just a short walk and it is great . We always went early to have shade . Ate at the beach snack bar for lunch and it was fine . Pizza and pasta place was good. Buffet was ok . Ate breakfast some days at the 24 hr snack bar and it was good but be prepared to wait if it is busy as there is only 2 waiting on tables and they work hard to keep up when busy. Service was fine throughout the whole complex . This is a great budget hotel in a super location to walk into town . Don't sweat the small stuff , go and have a great time . Most of the staff work very hard . The beach bartender was by himself one day and worked for hours without a break and I never seen him complain or get upset at anyone. Peace out until next time.

Room Tip: building 1 and 4 have lobby bars , building 1 is by the main pool
8 Thank PeiSunguy