Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
im1
Sudbury, Canada

Second visit Feb 21 - March 6

3.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Mar 9, 2020
I sent an e-mail 10 days before I left and got the room I wanted . Building 33 second floor . Everything I did have in the room was new and clean . I think the frig had just been brought in and new . There was no closet and no shelves or drawers . No safe in the room . I was told they had them at reception , but they were all taken . A luggage stand and 6 hangers on a pole would have to do . Two night stands were delivered to the rooms the next day , as they are still doing reno's . Now , I had a shelf for tee shirts etc. New strong A.C. unit blowing directly on the bed ( bad designer ?) It was not needed much as the first week it was very cool . The tour buses line up right in front of the building at 4 am . The drivers talk very loud , so expect to be up early . The "party " people come back late so expect to be up late . Food was available if you lined up a half hour before opening and the line up inside for anything . I tried to hold a table , but people just pushed my stuff aside and sat in my chair anyway . I rarely ate there as I didn't see cheese and the hard boiled eggs ran out . As for drinks , there was no mix of any kind . Day 9 cola showed up and day 12 lemon-lime arrived . The same day they ran out of beer and had no ice . If the bar staff could think of ANYTHING else to do , rather then serve quests, they did it . My chambermaid did absolutely NOTHING for 14 days but pick up her tip (I stopped leaving cash on day 4 . ) I did get a new small towel on day 12 left on the bed . Maybe by accident ? Lots of hot water and a rain shower head . Beach was great ! I always had my chairs by 7.45 am and stayed all day when I was at that beach . I did go to 2 others . I did discover the A LA CARTE that the rep didn't know about . It was great for 4 meals as the allowed me in anytime ! Then it seemed word got out ,it got busy and I think the Chef changed .They also ran out of wine (the only place to get it ) on my third visit . I didn't return . I had 2 chairs on the balcony but none in the room . New T.V. with many channels 3 english . The hotel has potential , but the quests it attracts being a 2 star and the staff spoil it for me . I most likely will be elsewhere next time .
5.0 of 5 bubblesLocation
1.0 of 5 bubblesService
3.0 of 5 bubblesSleep Quality
Lázaro Alberto Rodriguez Santana, Director General at Mar Del Sur Varadero, responded to this review
Responded Aug 17, 2023
Thank you very much for your comment, it will help us improve and it will be of great help to customers who want to visit us. We are a group that we like our clients to leave satisfied during their stay in our facility. Thank you so much
C$81
2.6 km from Mar Del Sur Varadero
Free Wifi
1.1 km from Mar Del Sur Varadero
View more hotels in Varadero
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed March 4, 2020 via mobile

The hotel is in a good location near the beautifull beach. 2 stars hotel with much work and less workers. Room clean but sometimes not towels ... and very small too. Very old ppl make there holiday since years... not good for young generation. I was thinking im in a hospice. The reception make big different treatment between cuban guest and tourist
.. we are all the same if we pay a service. Animation was not always good... very boring. At the beach also i was thinking im not on caribbean land. Varadero is beautifull but better rent a room.

Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank Tarta37
Reviewed February 24, 2020

I`m a regular visitor to Varadero so my expectations where realistic. We were at the Mar Del Sur Feb 7 to 16th. On arrival, we were given a room in really bad shape needing major renovations (a classic isn`t it ?). So the following morning we asked to change room. At first we were told it was impossible the hotel been full. After some talking and visiting another room as bad as the first one, I spoke with a client that was leaving that day saying in has a really nice room in bloc 13 (renovated). So I went back to the front desk and after some talking, we were offered room 13214. It is actually an appartement, really nice, for an extra 10 pesos a day. Beleve me, it worth every single penny. Let me thank Amarilys at the front desk who did all she could to help us moving room. She is a very nice person. The site is clean an de pool, A1. The service ... it varies depend of the person behing the bar. But keep in mind those guys have to deal with all kind of customers, 12 hours a day. Some rude, some drunk, some making their way behind the bar and helping themselves ... etc. Special thanks to Reynel Gonzalez, Ida and Marina. You`ll meet them at the lobby bar or pool bar. They`ve been very, very nice to us. The food at the buffet was ok. As you know, you don`t go there for the food. BUT !!! THERE WAS NO WINE, NO BEER AND NO SOFT DRINKS AT THE BUFFET, neither at lunch time or dinner. I know that there was shortages of all kinds in Varadero but not for wine. Ask questions before ...

1  Thank andr_t978
Reviewed March 15, 2019 via mobile

There is no easy way to say that, if you already booked this hotel don't read the reviews.
Dirty, old and unbearable. We stayed there for 1 night and it was a nightmare. Inedible food, drinks with insects in it. Cockroaches everywhere. Broken doors. No elevators. The beach is really beautiful and worth knowing but you would be better sleeping in a car.

Date of stay: January 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank Nana L
Reviewed March 9, 2019

I had a nice room in building 33 on the second floor . 2 blocks from the main hotel , but near the buffet. Very high ceiling . Amazing A.C. unit , frig and flat screen T.V. Silent during the night except for one party night . The balcony door did not lock . It would be easy to hop the small wall from the rooms on each side . As the balcony was not clean or swept , with no chairs , I just interlocked the table and chair legs in front of the door . The safe key can be had a reception with a $15. refundable deposit . The staff for the most part were surly and slow ( even by Cuban standards ) The "mob" would arrive 30 minutes before meals to line up . A few would wait until the last second and run to the front of the queue . It turned me right off ! I would wait about 15 min. before going in . I ate on the patio with the cats for ALL my meals at the Hotel . I had to search for glasses , cutlery etc, as none were provided outside . It was a feeding frenzy !! We hear talk of how the Cubans can take over , but they could take lessons from Russians ! The food was o.k. , what I got of it . In the end I just ate like a Cuban , small bun , cheese and cold cuts . The plate stack , juice , coffee machine and egg station line up were all clustered in one corner . Got juice a few times and a omelet once out of 14 days !! I don't have time to wait that long . The toaster was at the other end of the room , someone always seemed to be behind , pushing the toast back and picking up each piece ! I passed on that. The pool looked nice at 6am . never spent any time at the resort . The Beach was amazing with lots of Palapes and chairs . It could get a little crowded , but fun . A mix of English French , Italian , Cuban and Russian . Drinks and sandwiches at the beach bar and a new one is being build ! . Bring a mug !! The lobby bar was very limited and under staffed . I didn't spend time there either. Had I not had many friends at other resorts and Casas it would have been a long boring stay ,as I saw few people I would be interested in talking with . Many long staying people kept to themselves and complained about everything . I was glad the 13 days had perfect weather .Worth a try if you have low expectations as I did . It was better then I thought it would be .

Date of stay: February 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
5  Thank im1
Reviewed January 23, 2019

with the exception of a few staff members the rest of them where rude and treated there own as pesants so imagine what ur getting when u turn around sad place!!!!!! on weekends Cubans come in and act like savages taking most of the food and walking out with it as if they haven't eaten in yrs. overall Cuba on downward spiral haven't seen it this bad in 20 yrs they don't have bread to buy they serve you the beer they choose so most of the time ur buying ur beer elsewhere and they in turn gouge on the prices ex. Cuban buys for $1 u buy for $2 or $3 they sell bottled water but go behind the bar and fill it from the tap????? Beachs and weather great but that's where it ends if mesiry is ur thing Cuba is ur place

Room tip: no good view u can view water across highway
Date of stay: January 2019