“Great hotel - SUNWING SUCKS - YOU WILL GET RIPPED OFF” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Iberostar Varadero

Iberostar Varadero
Ranked #3 of 62 Hotels in Varadero
Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
“Great hotel - SUNWING SUCKS - YOU WILL GET RIPPED OFF”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

My wife and I had our wedding there, it was awsome! the staff were great, the rooms ver always well maintained, and the food was pretty good ( seafood - amazing - steak - fail ) - I'm not a picky eater - so it was not a problem.

<<<<<BUT>>>>>

We booked WITH SUNWING as a wedding (which includes extra baggage weight) when we checked in at the airport we where charged $500 in baggage fees bc they said we didn't have a wedding package booked that is 20$ per kilo over. We should have only been charged $100. My travel agent has been trying to get our money back for 4 months!!!! It looks like we are not getting our money back!!! Don't book with sunwing I regret ever giving them our money!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JefedeAlojamiento, Room Division Manager at Iberostar Varadero, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Dear Ian S, Thank you for choosing Iberostar Varadero for your vacation, we are glad to know that you have enjoyed this time with us and that you were not disappointed with our services. We hope that we have the pleasure to welcome you back some day. Our best regards on behalf of all our staff. P.Perciavalle. Room Division Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (891)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Cuba
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

I stayed there for three nigths and i have to say that the hotel sorprused me, the excellent food, nice enviroment, beatiful beach and the most important i have got the good treatment. It really deserves its 5 stars.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank luisitocuba90
Dear luisitocuba90, Thank you for choosing Iberostar Varadero for your vacation, we are glad to know that you have enjoyed this time with us and that you were not disappointed with our services. We hope that we have the pleasure to welcome you back some day. Our best regards on behalf of all our staff. P.Perciavalle. Room Division Manager.
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

We just got back from IV having stayed for 14 nights and we loved every minute of it. Ultimate relaxation which was needed after a busy year. I worried we would get bored on a beach holiday but everything was so amazing we didn't want it to end. The staff were wonderful people and the service faultless, everything was so efficient and they are genuinely happy, kind and helpful. Within seconds empty glasses would be topped up and finished plates taken away.

The food was a lot better than we were expecting, lots of choice and only one night where I couldn't eat my meal and that was at the Med restaurant. If you go expecting the food you might get at a 5 star hotel in Europe for example then of course you'll be disappointed but for Cuban food this was good. It certainly is good enough on the whole to not go hungry. The Japanese restaurant was fantastic. The lobby bar was great especially the non-alcholic cocktails!

I struggle to think of any criticisms, flies were everywhere and endlessly annoying - I did wonder whether the hotel could do anything to prevent them getting in to the restaurants but in the end we just accepted that this is what happens in hot countries. Other than that, everything was spotlessly clean.

The rooms are huge and comfortable and the maids cleaned the rooms and filled the mini bar daily. We were in block 16 which seemed to be beautifully light and sunny all day long and was right next to the beach. Location - The beach is just paradise, we always got sun loungers on the beach as the pool loungers were full from early morning. There wasn't much to see in Varadero itself, it was fairly expensive to get to in a taxi and we got ripped off in the market so we returned to the hotel and decided to stick to excursions. Of course not the fault of the hotel, just the location.

And finally our wedding - we got married in the gazebo right on the beach and it was just perfect. Belkis the wedding coordinator is one of the nicest people I've ever met and did all of the organising so it was completely stress free and we just enjoyed the day. Dream wedding, would definitely recommend it.

Could not recommend this hotel enough. Deserves every one of its five stars!

Room Tip: Block 16 was light, sunny, peaceful and right next to the beach compared with block 13 where our fam...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Han0406
Dear Han0406, On behalf of Iberostar Varadero we appreciate your feedback regarding your stay. We are glad to hear you have enjoyed your vacation. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Best regards, P.Perciavalle, Room Division Manager
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2013

I had stayed at this hotel previously and rebooked due to my totally positive experience. The hotel is clean, quiet and has a staff that are totally dedicated to taking care of their guests.
The beach is totally amazing, and the food is overall excellent. This Iberostar also has (according to guests and staff) the best activities programme of all the Cuban Iberostars.
On my arrival for 2 weeks commencing Jan 25 2013, I was given a very nice room, but it was dark and never saw direct sunshine. Between the "bell" staff and the front desk I was relocated to a lovely room full of sunlight (recovering from an accident I wanted to sit in the sun without anyone seeing my injuries.) They worked out which were the sunniest rooms and gave me one.
Learning Spanish I ran out of notepaper in the room for my notes made from the TV - surprise! On my return one day I had a notebook and pen provided - evidently the maid had noted my pile of paper and lack of any further resources. The observations of staff are amazing, not just here but elsewhere on the grounds - your needs are often anticipated.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank orped
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013 via mobile

This hotel definitely deserves its 5 stars! It's the best all inclusive hotel we have ever stayed at. Me and my boyfriend stayed here for 2 weeks in June and the weather was fantastic.
The rooms, and rest of the hotel areas are immaculate, with special credit needing to be given to the gardeners who work all day in the heat but do an amazing job of keeping the grounds fantastic.
The food was good, with a great choice even for fussy eaters like myself. We tried all 3 al a carte restaurants and think the Japanese was the best.
The swimming pool is kept very clean and is a lovely temperature. The pool bar is open good hours and there is always someone to serve you. The waiters even came round our sun beds asking us if we wanted a drink bringing.
The wifi is quite expensive at about £5 an hour but works extremely well(better than many places in Europe I've been to).
We only went on one trip - to Havana for the day. Even though it was very hot and a long day, I think it's something that has to be done if you travel that far to cuba, you may as well go and see the capital.
The staff need a special mention as they are some of the most pleasant and kindest people you will ever meet. Nothing is too much trouble for them and they make sure you always have a drink/food.
The entertainment is A'grade, much better than European hotels we have been to. The games try organise throughout the day are fantastic, and without the entertainers being pushy, they make sure you can keep busy if you want to.
Like I said before, this is the best hotel we have ever been to and when we return to cuba, we will definitely be choosing the iberostar varadero again!!

• Stayed June 2013
4 Thank BLSAUk
Dear BLSAUk, Thank you for choosing Iberostar Varadero for your vacation, we are glad to know that you have enjoyed this time with us and that you were not disappointed with our services. We hope that we have the pleasure to welcome you back some day. Our best regards on behalf of all our staff. P.Perciavalle. Room Division Manager.
durham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

I will try to make this review as honest and inclusive as possible as my husband and and I checked trip advisor every few days on the run up to our holiday. Firstly I would like to state that we had a fantastic holiday and there were lots of positives to the hotel but also a few negatives. We have stayed in five star all inclusive resorts in the past and although the resort is beautifull, and very relaxing, it won't be five star to people who have experienced five star previously. Also please note that we are not a picky couple and are easily pleased, especially when it comes to food - we are not fussy eaters.

We arrived at the resort at 8pm Cuban time, check in was swift, fast and all the staff involved were very smiley and happy to help - great start. In the middle of the night by husband realised he left his camera on the bus - nothing to do with the hotel but would like to praise our virgin rep SIlvio for trying to track it down. We didn't get it back but he gave us all the relevant details so we can sort it out with our insurance company when we get back.

The beaches were perfect, typically Caribbean with white sands and turquoise seas. the beach was so relaxing (apart from the occasional loud family singing living ) and drinks were served regularly. On a morning and afternoon the entertainment team teach dance class and water aerobics which is good for the ladies and I took part quite regularly. They didn't hassle you to join in and some of the games they played resulted in a bottle of rum at the end which was a bonus to those taking part. First negative - at 4pm the entertainment team would gather 10 adults to play rather loud and embarrassing games in the pool. Call me a grump (I'm 26) but if I wanted drunken men and women screaming and shouting on then I would have booked a holiday to benidorm. If your like me and want a quiet holiday, stay by the beach at this time.

The pool was glorious, plenty of Sun beds, didn't need to reserve them but others did. The main pool with the swim up Barr is very shallow, if you want a swim, go to the deeper pool near the piano bar. Bar staff fantastic, always serving with a smile, but mirroring the previous review, be carefull with the amount of alcohol - they aren't as cautious as us Brits.

Our room was block 13 - with not a very nice view, facing a grit path and a wall but as we hadn't paid for a view we didn't mind. Room was lovely, large and masses of wardrobe space. The main blocks circle a gorgeous water feature with bridges and marquee,beautifull especially for photos and makes a lovely walk on an evening. On our second night we noticed a large leak in our shower which flooded the bathroom. We called reception three times,each time them telling us someone would be there straight away. It was an hour and a half but once they arrived, they handled it well, told reception the situation and the aassistant manager offered us a room change with a sea view in the junior suite. Our room was right on the top,in the middle of the block with one of the best views which was limited because of Palm trees. this room is an extra 40 p a night if you book it. I would suggest booking a presidents suite as the view is much better for the extra. the maid service was brilliant, changed towels twice a day if you wanted but we stook to one - better for economy.

Evening entertainment was good, they put on dancing acts, singing and theatrical. You might find they have the same three singers on, three days in a row, which can get a bit boring but we came to relax not for entertainment so that didn't really rank on the scale. The piano bar was lovely and relaxing and take note that there is no internet both WiFi and dial up were useless. That was a positive for us as it cut us of from work and family for two weeks :)

For us - food was the major downfall of this hotel. We are not fussy by any means and we always make a meal so we had something different every night BUT every lunch time and evening was the same. They very rarely changed the options other than put a different sauce over the chicken or beef, even the butter had no flavour to it. The lunch time bar by the pool has a massive issue with flies and BIRDS. The birds are fearless and walk into the restaurant and sit on the table trying to tree and your food. Very off putting and unhygenic. Breakfast and desserts were the best things to eat.

The food in the a la cartes was amazing, I cannot praise it enough. The international was gorgeous, the Japanese was great and highly entertaining and the Mediterranean was nice however...... the night we ate there my husband got dioreah and I had sickness and dioreah. We have strong stomachs and travel all over the world and this is the first time either of us have been sick. We did speak to a few other couples who had been ill so take some tablets with you. My husband went to the doctor who gave me tablets which stopped me being sick but it did mean I had no appetite and couldn't face food for the last three days of the holiday. Still made it by the beach every day but one which was the first night of sickness.

All in all we had a great time and hotel is beautifull but for those people used to five star please be prepared. I do think that this hotel is the best in the area and that we wouldn't find a better on in this country - Cuba just don't do five star like other countries.

Massive tip - rum and cigars are cheaper in Havana. The rum only by a few pessos but the cigars quite considerably. Weather forecast stated thunder storms for the whole of our holiday but was glorious with the occasional overcast evening which is welcome.

Holiday was 17/6/2013 till 28/6/2013'

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank sophie_cade
"Dear sophie_cade, On behalf of Iberostar Varadero we appreciate your feedback regarding your stay. We are glad to hear you have enjoyed your vacation and we will consider your suggestions in order to improve our service. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Best regards, P.Perciavalle, Room Division Manager"
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

Our family of six stayed here between June 23 and 29. My kids' ages range from 12 to 5 and we felt very safe and relaxed. The crowd varied with young couples, families, older folks... good mix. Not too rowdy.

SERVICE: The employees are extremely friendly and always ready to help; Marietta at front desk welcomed us like old friends, our chamber maid Judy kept our rooms neat and clean, Michael was always quick and courteous at lunch time, Yovanny and Eli kept the drinks flowing at the beach (don't forget to bring your thermos!), and Lian and the girls were super with our kids! Fantastic team working hard to help you enjoy your vacation. Thank you to all!

VALUE: For your hard-earned dollars, no other destination offers this kind of service, setting, amazing beach, and proximity (I live in Montreal).

SLEEP: I have to admit, this is the first time we don't curse the mattress in the morning. We love our bed at home, but the beds here were rather new, very clean, and very comfortable.

CLEANLINESS: the grounds, public places, and rooms are very clean, also, the table settings (i.e. sparkling glasses, flatware, plates, linens, plates, etc...) My only comment to administration would be to invest in renovating the Japanese and buffet restaurants' floors as they appear worn down, dirty and in need of repair in some areas. Closed restaurants help you cool down, but still too many birds and flies bothered us at lunchtime (much fewer pests flying around at breakfast). We had very few mosquito bites, but bring your repellent to be sure.

LOCATION: A short bus ride from the airport (some resorts in Cuba are up to 90 minutes from the airport! Good luck with your kids on that one!) I took a walk on the beach and no other hotels had the perfect stretch of sand as our hotel did. Lots of umbrellas! Neighboring hotel guests were scrambling for shade under few trees, so I felt glad to get an umbrella each day.

ROOMS: We had connecting rooms and everything worked fine. Bring your electric outlet adapter.

FOOD: We do not all have the same tastes and with food this is even more evident. I appreciate nutritious meals as I only cook home made for my family. If you want a gastronomically based trip, take a Norwegian cruise. Come here for the sun and beach and smiles... however, the buffet fare here is pretty good compare to other places. You can tell with the turnover of platters that everything is fresh and made on-site. The omelette, doughnut, and smoothie stations in the morning (excellent double espressos con leche!), rotisserie chicken and oven-baked pizza at lunch, and different fish or meat for dinner. The red snapper was awesome. The abundant fresh local fruit was amazing, the yummy pastries and desserts varied and we had good ice cream every day. What I disliked the most was the bitter tomato sauce tasted like it was straight from a can and the pizza cheese was way too sharp. If you have picky eaters in your group, bring simple snacks to take to the beach between meals. My kids all survived ;)

SPA: The gym is very nice, so I was told by my husband. For my massage I wish I would have learned if my masseur had credentials as it was OK but felt nothing like the therapeutic stress relief we can get at home. I grade it 3/5.

This trip was the perfect end to a hectic school year and perfect start to our summer vacation. Gracias y Hasta Luego!

Room Tip: Unit 18 is between the beach and pool, and very close to restaurants, but facing North toward the oc...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank MammaBrava
"Dear MammaBrava, On behalf of Iberostar Varadero we appreciate your feedback regarding your stay. We are glad to hear you have enjoyed your vacation and we will consider your suggestions in order to improve our service. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Best regards, P.Perciavalle, Room Division Manager"