See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed April 5, 2018

I had a great time at Casa Mayan. The house was super clean and had AC. There was a TV in the room but I never turned it on, I was too busy talking and laughing with Ms. Nancy. Nearby Casa Mayan: A great restaurant Pequeno Suarez, local artisan market, stores, and less tan a 10 minute coco taxi ride to any restaurant or night club in Varadero. The beach which is about 200 meters away from the house is by far the best place to lay out and access the water. The beach was clean, no sea weed, and not too populated by beachgoers.

Room tip: Super Clean
Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed January 3, 2018

We stayed recently in Varadero in this casa. The casa is approximately 200 m away from the beach, but a little remote from Varadero center, you need half an hour by food. Since the Autopista Sur is just a few meters away, you have also always a certain background noise.

We felt safe in the area, but if we wouldn't have reserved a room in this casa we wouldn't have chosen this. The area in which this house is located looked not too friendly to us.

The room we stayed was very clean and big, and the hosts were also friendly and helpful, so nothing really to complain. It was the only one in which we do not get dinner cooked, which is not truly right since they offered that a neighbor would prepare and will then deliver the meal in this house. So a kind of pizza service. We have not used this service so we could not say anything about this.

But we had breakfast. This was an interesting experience, so were asked when we want to have breakfast, and we said a time. We assumed at least the first day that at this time the breakfast would be ready, but it means that they just started at this time. So 1/2 hour later we were able to start eating. The breakfast was standardized so we got what I call sweetened water - juice, coffee, eggs, fruits, and bread with jam and cheese each day.

In other casas we got juice made from fresh fruits which were tasteful, here we got this the last day. I am not sure because of the tip we gave them or because the juice was out. But overall the breakfast was ok, only here they put a little less passion in this.

Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank taucherS
Reviewed June 25, 2017

I cannot praise more this place, I was very sceptical at first about going to Varadero as I do not like touristic place however as this place is at the beginning of Varadero is only surrounded by local Cuban family , really quiet at night and not full of so many hotels however you can find anything you need within 5 minutes.
We spent 4 nights in Casa Mayan, we felt very welcome, just like home and really felt the warmth and love of Nancy and Geidys. As I speak Spanish it was so interesting interacting with both of them and discovered a little more about the Cuban life . Geidys prepared us every day after waking up at our own pace stunning breakfast with local products , delicious. She is such lovable girl and extremely kind.

If you want to experience the real Cuban life , this is the place to be. Place is not a fancy place, but super clean, with moderate comfort and you will have a unique experience that you can never pay for.

Nancy y Geidys muchas gracias por todo .La nuestra experiencia en Cuba has sido increible gracias a vosotras

in abrazo muy fuerte

Michela

Room tip: the last room at the back
Date of stay: March 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed April 20, 2017

My friend and I spent 8 days in Cuba in various cities, and this was the only real sour note in our trip. We were happy with most of the casas particulates--except this one.
We booked this casa through Greta of Cuban Booking Room months in advance. We had a voucher to indicate that we were confirmed. We confirmed that morning with the owner of Casa Mayan and she confirmed. BUT WHEN WE GOT THERE, SHE TOLD US THAT SHE HAD GIVEN OUR ROOM TO SOMEONE ELSE. She took us a few doors down and tried to tell us that this other place was Casa Mayan, but it was obvious that it wasn't. For one thing, the house said "Ory" and the young woman there gave us her card which indicated that this was Casa de Ory.
WHAT A NIGHTMARE! I've never seen anything like this. My room had such a stench in it. It smelled like mold and mildew. There was one window and it was up by the ceiling, so it wasn't reachable. The air conditioner, which was connected to that window and rich over the bed, was leaking water on the pillow, so I couldn't use it. This made the smell in the room even worse. The sheets were filthy and when I looked underneath the top sheet, the bottom sheet had menstrual blood on it. We asked Ory for clean sheets and she said she didn't have any. There were flying black insects and ants that were coming from the outside. They were probably attracted by the rotting wood in the door frame. The bathroom smelled the worse. It smelled like a combination of urine, mold and mildew and it was filthy. And THERE WAS NO HOT WATER! Ory had no response to these issues either. I took pictures of all the problems in the room so I could have documentation.
We tried to find another casa in the area, but it was already evening. If the owner of Casa Mayan had not confirmed that morning or if she had told us that she rented to someone else, we could have looked for something else earlier in the day. Instead, she allowed us to think that we had our rooms and then took us to this other hell hole.
Needless to say, I didn't sleep a wink that night because I was afraid of what might crawl on me. By daylight, we got out and told Ory that we weren't staying. We paid for the rooms, which asked her for a receipt. Then, she told us that it wasn't her house and she called an older woman who came over and said nothing to us. It was only after we were leaving that we noticed that this house didn't have the required plaque to indicate that it was a licensed casa particular that is inspected by the Cuban govt. We finally got a receipt and asked Ory to arrange for a cab for us to go back to Havana. Instead of getting a cab, she called a friend, who didn't know his way around Havana.
We felt very manipulated and that we were scammed. But when we contacted Cuba Booking Room to advise Greta of what happened, SHE BLAMED US, EVEN THOUGH THE OWNER OF CASA MAYAN had confirmed. She is completely unprofessional and she has a lot to learn about customer service.
I strongly recommend that if you're thinking of renting a casa particular in Varadero, DON'T GO TO CASA MAYAN.

Date of stay: April 2017
1  Thank Josephine F
Reviewed February 3, 2016

The place is very large and comfortable. Clean and cozy. Very good location close to the sea. Nancy is a very nice, friendly and helpful person.The breakfasts were delicious. We spent a very nice holiday. Thank you;-)

Date of stay: January 2016