“Great 4.5 star for Cuba. Would go back.”

Blau Marina Varadero Resort
Ranked #39 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed 24 December 2012

Fellow wondering travellers, if you are looking for a single occupancy nice looking chill resort with a great beach and incredible staff, look no further. This resort was unbeatable price wise and i did not regret booking my trip. This country is absolutely safe and great for single travellers, men or women. The resort is quiet as it is currently changing names and I simply love the quiet and personal feel. I would definitely go back, but ask for building 11, 12 or 16, close to the beach and pool. The food was edible, nothing to go nuts about, Cuba food. The buffet gets redundant and do not expect too much seafood on the menus, for this you need to book 5 star. The staff is attentive everywhere, helpful and friendly. Trying to lean some spanish before you go will go a long way. The rooms are roomy and nice and well cleaned every day. They are complete with safe, fridge, coffee maker and sitting area. I always ask my maid for more water and leave a tip since i find that one bottle is never enough for one person a day...The ocean view is worth the $, nothing beats hearing the ocean from your room while napping. it is too bad the resort is the very last on the peninsula, making it far to get to, but it also makes it quiet so a bonus. I have stayed at 3 other resorts closer to Varadero (2 x5 star adults only and one 4 star) and found more traffic on the beach and busier resorts in general. Stay away from the beer they serve from plastic bottles, flat and gross. Found the beach to be clean and quiet, the pool to be a good spot for late afternoon drinks and salsa lessons , do not miss the quiet pool by the light house, gorgeous. If you can avoid using the internet, do so, quite slow and expensive, NO WIFI at this resort. The disco was quite lame, but i really didnt care to stay up and listen to horrible dance music all night anyways. The lobby bar is a great place to see some live cuban music at night and meet fellow travellers from all over the world. Go with a relaxed mind and you will enjoy this country, resort and all it has to offer. do not forget where you are, this isnt home and life on the island is quite far from what we know of life. Que tenga un buen viaje...

Room Tip: block 11 12 or 16, ocean view!!!
18  Thank ilovefromage

Reviewed 22 December 2012

This was my first vacation, I stayed there the week of Dec 13-20, 2012.
Before I went on my trip I read a lot of not so good reviews about this place and I had a uneasy feeling when I was going, but when I got to the resort and was greeted by the friendly staff at the hotel and saw how nice the lobby was and how clean, that uneasy feeling quickly left me.

There are renovations going on and there is a new resort being built just across the street, but there was nothing that bothered us, it was very quiet there.

The staff went above and beyond to make us feel at home, ALWAYS greeted us with a smile, the Hotel Manager even took us for a ride around the resort and went out of his way to ensure we were happy to be staying there, the waitresses, the ladies at the internet room, the waitress and waiter at the pool bar became friends and would always stop us for a chat everyday we were there. It's really amazing how nice they were to us there.

The internet however was a little disappointing, trying to write home to family was a little struggle, but REALIZE that internet is mostly just on the resorts and it's not wireless.

The food, was A LOT better than I was expecting, again I read a lot of reviews prior to going and I was very suprised when I discovered that it was nothing like I read about. The buffet always had lots to choose from, I'm a very picky eater and I was never hungry there.

The Room, we stayed at Building 12, right next to the pool and facing the marina side, I LOVED the room, had a top floor room, nice little balcony next to the pool, there is a new resort being built across the street but this didn't affect my stay at all. There was little noise from the construction. The rooms were very very clean and the maid would always do something nice to the bed everyday like make a big heart shape with the bed sheets, make little elephants with the towels, our maid was very nice to us and came to say goodbye to us when we were leaving.

There are renovations going on, but again, this did not affect us, It's actually nice to see that they are looking after this place.

The pool and pool bar, this was very very nice. The pool is very clean and the waitress and waiter there are so so so nice and friendly and would be laughing and joking with us all the time, I'm quite saddened I didn't get back to say goodbye to them.

The beach was not even a 5 minute walk from our room. Lots of chairs to relax, lots of guides there to take you out in the wind surfing boat things they have there that will gladly take you to the reef to snorkel and feed the fish, or just take you on a half hour ride to the end of the beach and back. Very very nice and relaxing.

Lots of tour and activities to do, I didn't take in much of the tours but did head into Varadero once and this was nice, double decker bus.

There is a disco bar next to the lighthouse, I enjoyed this, there was not a lot of people at the resort for the first few days but there would be a bunch of people there at night enjoying themselves.

There is a entertainment show every night at the theatre, this is very nice, lots of singing and dancing, there is also entertainment in the lobby bar every night, people playing spanish music and singing and occasionally there would be entertainment at the dining room.

I will definitely be going back here, I enjoyed this vacation very much and the staff at this hotel made me feel right at home.

I recommend this place to everyone,

15  Thank Howie709
Reviewed 21 December 2012

We stayed 4 nights at the Blau Marina Varadero Resort in early December and found it to be a very nice and clean location. We were on the edge of the high season, so the facilities were never crowded and the beach was extremely quiet. Our only complaint was that the food was just OK. We don't travel for the food so it wasn't a huge issue, but we were glad that we only had 4 days of the buffet. We did get into one of the specialty restaurants, but even there the food was only marginally better. The good thing is that we didn't overeat at dinner which is usually a problem at an all inclusive resort. The other thing was that our room was a bit musty smelling, but again, not awful. We kept the air conditioning running all the time to get the smell out and by the time we left, it was much better. We suspect we were the first renters of the season. It was on the ground floor; maybe a room on a higher floor would have been better.

The beach is right behind the hotel and it is beautiful. The hotel has nice chairs and staff is there to assist. It was fun to watch the kite boarders and it looked like there was a little snorkeling right from shore. The water was very shallow, so it would be good for small children.

The resort is currently the last resort on the peninsula, so the bus ride into town was fairly long, but it was a pleasant ride. There is construction going on, so I don't think it will be the last resort for very long.

If we return to Varadero, we would consider staying at Blau Marina again.

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room. First floor balconies don't have access, so the only advantage is t...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Wendy1949
Reviewed 16 December 2012

Just returned from this hotel. The food has improved from last years. , The place is clean. My friends and I had a great time and I would highly recommend this hotel. Relax place to stay. Beach always good. Second time at that place, two years in a row.

Blau take over recently and want to increase the customer care. NICE JOB GUYS... KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK !

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank gilles c
Reviewed 15 December 2012

We have just returned from a stay in this hotel and we had a wonderful time. The food has improved tremendously from previous years. The people are very freindly and helpful, The place is clean and they seem to have the mosquito problem under control. My friends and I had a great time and I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If you are looking for peace and quiet, I would suggest that you pick a room on the Cayo Libertad pa...
18  Thank Sergio M
Reviewed 13 December 2012

We stayed at this resort last year when it was under different management and although we enjoyed our stay last year (obviously we did because we returned) the hotel under the new management exceeded our expectations and was even better. Both the quality of the food and the service had improved and we were very pleased with our vacation!!

Room Tip: We stayed very close to the pool which made for a more enjoyable trip! We asked upon arrival and th...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Stanka123
Reviewed 7 December 2012

I know this is late coming in.. but a review is a review :) The options made me pick a date.

Me and my now fiance sayed here LAST year over christmas. This was our first trip together and first time in cuba. We went in expecting the worse after reading all the reviews (I was very nervous).
It took about 40 mins to get there because the bus ride was kind of a tour and we stopped at other resorts to drop people off. The tour guide was funny and tried his best to speak english for everyone, so I didn't mind the drive. When we got to our resort it was so beautiful! While waiting for check in we were greeted with a delicious drink and serves was fast and friendly.

The entertainment was at night was UNREAL. We had a funny Elvis impersonator one night, and he was actually pretty convincing. Another night we had these acrobats that did stunts that amazed both of us (that was my favorite and I still talk about it to this day!!!)

We did a lot of excursions during our stay and the ladies that help plan are lovely. They would tell us everything and give us options and ask questions. During one excursion we either lost or had our camera stolen (NOT THE RESORTS FAULT), and the ladies in charge of the outings tried everything for us to find it. (we did the dolphin/catamaran tour which I LOVED .. this is when the camera went missing. There were lots of people on the boat, so it's hard to say what exactly happened. Just be safe with your expensive belongings.) PS the pictures added were from the cheap underwater camera I brought, and cell phone pictures.

The beach was beautiful, the bar was close and I didn't mind making a trip here and there. Very relaxing, and fun. There's beach vollyball and other activities. We rented snorkles and goggles, but couldn't see through the water that well by the shore. (It's ALOT better if you snokle at the coral beach - its in one of the tours, or if you snorkle during the dolphin tour.)

The pools were clean and wonderful. We spent time at the pool with the waterslide because that was closest to our room. We walked around the resort and saw the other pools and they seemed just at nice. The bartender at the swim up bar was nice, she spent so much time trying to find a drink I would like. They put LOTS of alcohol in the drinks, so if you don't like your drinks strong just ask for less. My servers were more then happy to help.

The staff at this resort were very nice. The lobby bar tender would have a drink ready for my fiance right in the morning. He was funny and knew us by name. We had no issues with the cleaning staff. We are big tippers and the one day we forgot, the only thing the maid did different was not make a cute design out of towels.

We didn't mind the food at the resort, it was edible. We went to the a la carte restuarants and they weren't the greatest. My fiance ordered this "salmon bomb" thing and it was a round ball of potato with something that looked like canned salmon on the inside. He still ate it and we didn't complain. We did eat off the resort, (the Al Capone restaurant). We liked it so much we went twice. The day that he popped th question we went to another a la carte (can't remember which one) but the waitress was lovely and made me a napkin rose.

Going to cuba, you need to remember that this is not a wealthy country by any means.. A small tip can go a long way for these wonderful people. I met so many lovely staff, and even went out of my way to help the woman that did my nails. She told me about her life and her children, and it was touching. I put together a small bag of clothes and essential beuty products in a bag and brought it down to her. She was so thankful and started to cry.

My fiance and I are new to traveling, and going to cuba opened our eyes. We loved it here, and know we will be going back in the future!! We Loved it at this Resort and would recommend it to everyone. If your the type of person that wants to be waited on hand and foot and likes to complain about EVERYTHING don't go to cuba. Go to the states and pay for what you want.

Room Tip: Our room was overlooking the pool (the pink building) it had a big bed, smaller tv. But Still lovely...
Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple