7,757 results
All reviews piano bar fish international restaurant plenty of sunbeds string quartet pizza ocean view main bar great holiday a la carte restaurants lunch buffet sun loungers towel art per week open top bus thomas cook the grill
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

About 2.5 hours from airport and set on a lovely beach. Quite a big hotel but never felt busy. The lobby is spectacular and lots of WiFi areas in the bars.

Amazing pool, great drinks and staff are very friendly. Multiple bars so if you want entertainment it’s on, if you want music there is a piano bar and a 24 hour beach bar!

Rooms are clean, nice balconies and spacious.

You can walk straight onto the beach and it’s beautiful! Beach bar, sun beds and some limited water sports - scuba, kayaks etc

Food is good but it’s nothing special and not a lot going on outside of the hotel. Marina is pretty and nice walk but not lots of choice + it’s expensive.

Biggest thing this hotel has to change...so much plastic! Plastic cups, plates and straws! Be so easy to change and so good for the environment. Beautiful sea they have is becoming ruined because of all the plastic! It’s crazy and biggest thing that would put me off on returning.

Overall fantastic but need to sort the plastic. No good changing towels only once every few days if you use 1 ton of plastic every day!

Date of stay: November 2018
2  Thank neil r
David N, Director General at Blau Varadero Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear neil r,

We are very grateful for your comments on the hotel but more so for your comments on the staff and service, I’ll make sure they receive them. We want to thank you as well for recommending us with other travelers.

We also appreciate your constructive opinion about some of our services. We will be looking forward to your next visit.

Check in
Fast – no bellboy which made life easier meaning we didn’t have to wait for the cases to come up.

Lifts
Always breaking down and not enough for the hotel size so slow going.

Room
802 overlooking the courts, pool and sea. Big room, great views, beds like sleeping on brick though. We were in agony the whole holiday from the beds. There is an iron and ironing board in the room, hairdryer and safe.

The cleaners
Very clean hotel and rooms. Can’t fault the cleanliness at all and ours was lovely.

Theatre
Quiz every night my highlight. A really good laugh although I don’t think the main quiz guy liked me very much. He made it abundantly clear he didn’t want me answering the questions. Shows very good.

Animation team
If not for the theatre, I wouldn’t have known who they were. At the beach they were rarely seen.

The beach
Awesome beach. Great windsurfing, pedalows, kayaks etc all-inclusive use. Sand is white powder and there are plenty of beds on the beach. There are canopy beds with curtains for use for 10CUCs a day and with that comes waiter service and they even get you food from the beach bar. We never did that because the normal beds were fine with plenty of shade if you wanted it, and we wanted to choose our own food by going to the beach bar if we wanted any and got our own drinks.

The pool / Pool restaurant.
I can’t say too much here. We only ate a the restaurants a couple of times and like all foody all-inclusive places nothing is hot and all recycled so we didn’t go too often. Plus we’re fussy eaters so I wouldn’t want to sway any readers. They also had live music on a lunchtime. The pool has plenty of beds at the side and in the grass and the pool was never overly busy and colder than the sea.

The bars
Piano bar – nice music, sedate and good service and waitress/waiter service.
Lobby Bar - Very friendly, plenty of seating. Fast service and waitress/waiter service.
Chill out bar – chilled out. Able to play own music in each pod using the Bluetooth facility offered. Just connect your phone. You can sit inside as well but there is also waitress/waiter service.
The beach bar - What can I say about the beach bar. The staff were amazing, Raidel and Dunia are the best. Super friendly and helpful. Like to have a laugh with you. The pizzas and toasties were the best. We stopped going to breakfast and just went straight to the beach on a morning getting toasties for breakfast then pizzas and salad for lunch. They mixed your cocktails and knew when your times when you were ready for a beer which was for us about lunchtime when we were ready for alcohol. Raidel and Dunia have a smile for everyone and make you feel really special. They both deserve a mention and credit for all they do. There is entertainment in the beach bar with musicians at lunch and at night, a DJ twice a week on a Saturday and Wednesday, and just music the other nights. It’s a really good night but I suppose that depends on who you’re with and make friends with. You can make it what you want it to be.

Al-a-Carte
Italian – Avoid, avoid, AVOID. The “Italian Buffet” is recycled bread sticks and salad from lunch. Nothing italian about it and tastes as old as it is. We both got the chicken in marinara. We ate what we could hack and it was awful, rock hard and un-chewable. There was little or no marinara. There was something breaded on the plate that I’m assuming was a breaded shrimp but I can’t actually tell you because we couldn’t hack into it. It would be better used as a weapon. We didn’t stay for dessert and asked for our second al a carte for the Italian to be changed to the international restaurant and explained why. The concierge wasn’t interested why, just changed it. This isn’t just because we’re fussy, it was genuinely inedible food and everyone was complaining about it. It’s the first time we have ever left an al a carte and not left a tip.
International – very professional, great service and great food. On one of the visits there was an incident but it was handled in an exceptionally professional way. On mums 70th. The violin player played her happy birthday and they brought her a cake. Thoroughly recommended.

Check out – should have been a quick hand over of the towel card and room card but they told me to join the huge “to pay for services” queue. When I asked why I was told laundry. I refused to go to the back of the queue because I had nothing to pay and ended up having to stand there for 20 minutes while they checked if I was telling the truth……when it turned out I was I was just told “it is our error you can check out”. No apology, quite rude.

WIFI – 1 CUC / 1 HR. Patchy. Better in a morning around 7-9 am. On a night it’s really hard work.

All Staff – all are friendly, smiley and lovely. Can’t fault any of them except front desk who are cold and rude.

Varadero – The buses at the end are super regular and cost CUC 5 each all day.
There is a tractor / train that comes to the hotel once an hour at quarter to the hour and costs CUC 2 each or CUC 4 for return or hop on and off as often as you like in a day. Let it drop you at the last flea market at Calle 15 and walk back. There is a Beatles bar with live bands on an evening on Calle 60 and the start of Varadero as you first come in and a steak house at the end of Calle 60 down the street from the main road. Once you’ve seen one flea market you’ve seen them all because they all sell the same. Change money in Varadero. Exchange rate is better than the hotel.

Room tip: 802 over the courts with sea view and pool view.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
6  Thank venusbell

Dear venusbell,

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Two week break in Oct/Nov 2018. We had a select room on the 12th floor with a great view over the swimming pool and garden then onto the beach. The check in was quick and friendly porters/bellhops were on hand to take your bags to your room. The room was very clean, the bed was large and comfortable, air con was very effective and quiet. There was a coffee maker, fridge, flat screen tv, iron and board, safe and a docking station for iPod or mp3 player. The barstaff were efficient and very friendly service was quick. If you were seated in the main bar there were floor servers who came and took your order and brought it to your table.The pool bar staff were also excellent very hard working. Service in the 3 onsite restaurants was again excellent and friendly nothing was too much trouble. The animation team,the workers on the beach and the staff in the beach bar were constantly on the go to make sure everything was ok though they were not as is the case in some hotels disturbing you if you chose to just relax on a sunlounger. The maids that cleaned the rooms did an excellent job. As you can see from my comments so far the staff really make this hotel even down the well-tended grounds and gardens which the management should really thank the gardeners for. The only reason I don't give this hotel a 5-star review is the overall quality of food available in the hotel. There are 3 restaurants for evening meals 1 is a buffet style affair with a wide range of dishes you will not go hungry but it is much the same every night. The Palma a la carte restaurant is the best option, in my opinion, the food here was very good and worth a visit. The 3rd option is the Italian a la carte, unfortunately, this was a real let down for me and for many other guests I spoke to held the same opinion. This final comment is not to be regarded as a poor reflection of the staff in this restaurant but as a reflection of the poor food served there, this would be my only negative experience at this otherwise very good hotel. I would recommend this place in a heartbeat and stay here again if I visit Cuba in the future. The highlight for me is the staff friendly, courteous, diligent and hardworking one and all. They make this hotel what it is. I would like to make a special mention with regards to Lisy who worked the floor service in the main lobby bar. This young lady worked her socks off everyday and is a credit to the hotel.

Date of stay: November 2018
3  Thank manofsteel610

Dear manofsteel610,

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My fiance and I stayed at Blau Varadero from October 12th to October 19th. This was the first time we decided to try an all inclusive, and also our first time to Cuba. After A LOT of research and even more review reading, we felt like Blau would be a good fit for us. We were not disappointed! I loved pretty much everything about it.
The food, although repetitive at times, was good and much better than I was expecting. Both of the a la carte restaurants were wonderful and offered a break from the buffet (although I found the food there good as well).
The drinks were delicious, and there were many different kinds of cocktails to choose from. I am already missing those Havana Especials!
The facilities and grounds were always clean and well maintained. Props to the gardeners who work hard everyday to keep everything in top shape and looking beautiful!
Our room was always kept very clean and provided us with an excellent pool/ocean view. We spent many nights sitting on our balcony looking at the stars and listening to the sound of the waves. So peaceful!
The beach was absolutely stunning and where we spent the majority of our time. Always plenty of loungers and shade available, along with fun activities (beach volleyball, pedal boats, games) that you could take part in if you wished. The ocean was calm and crystal clear nearly everyday that we were there. Perfect for swimming!
We didn't spend a ton of time at the pool, but we did take a few quick dips and found it to be very refreshing and clean. The animation staff at the pool were outstanding. Always full of energy and leading activities to get the guests involved. They made sure everyone was enjoying themselves without being overly pushy about it, which I liked. If you preferred not to participate then that was just fine with them!
The staff at this resort impressed us the most. They really are wonderful people who work their butts off everyday, and do so with a smile on their face. I am always surprised when I read reviews about the staff being rude or unfriendly. We didn't encounter this whatsoever. Shoutouts to a few of the staff that made our trip extra special!
*Kenia (our maid) who always made sure our room was spotless and that we had everything we needed to be comfortable. We hope you enjoyed the treats we left for you!
*Oxmara and the rest of the crew at the piano bar. We loved spending our evenings here, and the service was always excellent. We never found ourselves waiting long for a drink.
*Yesmila and Agdiel in the breakfast/lunch buffet. These two were the best. Always smiling, and always making time to chat no matter how busy they were. Agdiel is probably one of the nicest and friendliest people I have ever met, and we looked forward to seeing him everyday at lunch. Thank you for everything, my friend! : )
All in all, we can't imagine that our vacation could have gone any better. Thank you Blau for making our first visit to Cuba a memorable one. We will definitely be back!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
6  Thank Spilon85

Dear Spilon85,

Thank you for rating our resort Blau Varadero and for sharing your recommendations to our potential customers. We were very happy to welcome you back in your home away from home, and provide you with the kind of service we are well known for.

It is also a pleasure to learn you enjoyed our service and our staff. Your friends at Blau Varadero Hotel will be waiting for your return, we miss you already!.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

The resort was very all to be expected from a four star Cuban resort. The staff were excellent and the food was very good. This resort is an excellent value for the cost and well worth the visit. The lunch restaurant adjacent to the pool was extra good due to the fantastic live Cuban music provided every day. Special note to one of the servers, Loveu, who joins each band and sings. He is fantastic!

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Theodore L,