“Really enjoyed our stay. ”

Van der Valk Kontiki Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We had booked the "full service package". That included a bag with snacks, robes and slippers, turndown service and a fridge stocked with some beverages. It also included the upgraded beach chairs. Upon arrival we had a hand written welcome note which was a nice touch.

Upon arrival we were driven by a golf cart to our room and shown around. Our room was a nice size, cathedral ceilings and a huge balcony. The walls and ceiling are a dark wood. We were up front , closer to the beach and had a peek a boo view of the water. I wouldn't call this ocean front. Its a few minutes walk to the beach. I thought the bed was very comfortable. The shower was great.

The grounds are lovely, the landscaping is to die for !! There are a few small pools with lovely, quiet places to lay out. The chairs in this area were really quality. I agree that some of the pools seemed a little stagnant. However, We did not swim in the pools. The beach is so lovely. I did see them drain a pool one day and scrub out the bottom.

Its an easy stroll to the beach. There is so much going on down there. There is a restaurant ( not a fan, see review) and tons of places lay out, sit in the shade or have a drink. There was drink service at the beach.

The beach is very nice, it appeared to have good snorkeling. There was some good music playing ( not too loud) .

You really do not need a car at this hotel. If you continue walking left there is a beach club/bar , a shopping center with about 12 restaurants, some really cute shops, a sundry store, a car rental, starbucks etc. Then keep walking, you will come to Chill bar and a little further Hemingways. Fantastic bands on Fri and sun nights.

All workers at this hotel were very nice and friendly.

The only negative things I could say are :
1. You have to get the beach towels at the front desk. This is the completely opposite direction than the beach.
2. They take a $100 security deposit which I thought was strange.
3. Fri night the music at the night club next store is REALLY loud and does not end until very late. I fell asleep around 2 am and they were going strong. It did keep me up for about 2 hours. This is really not the fault of the resort but I feel that it should be pointed out.
4. We never got the "turndown" service and house cleaning came quite late. Not a big deal for us, but felt like it should be mentioned.

All in all, I was really pleased with this hotel and would gladly return.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sidney7474
TerencevdValk, General Manager at Van der Valk Kontiki Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Sidney,

Thank you for your review and your stay at Kontiki Beach Resort.

I am happy to read that you have enjoyed your stay at our resort. Thank you for your kind words about your arrival, room, tropical garden and location. Thank you for your feedback, your comments will be shared with the rest of the team.

Terence vd Valk

Write a ReviewReviews (1,418)

Reviewed 7 January 2018

Loved our time at Kontiki Beach Resort from the moment we stepped into the reception area and were greeted with smiles and coconuts! The resort is absolutely beautiful from the pretty tiki-like hut accomodations to the lovely beach with huts and beach chairs on pretty white sand. The staff is helpful and friendly and made our stay extra special. A note was left on my pillow wishing me a Happy Birthday and I could not have asked for a more perfect setting to spend the most special, memorable Birthday ever! The grounds are lush and lovely with flowers, birds, pools and beautifully landscaped pathways. It was festive to see many firework displays with celebrations galore for New Years. All in all, this was a really special trip in the most beautiful resort! Would recommend to all and would love to return! Thank you all at Kontiki Beach Resort for the most glorious birthday week!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Martha B
TerencevdValk, General Manager at Van der Valk Kontiki Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2018

Dear Martha,

Thank you so much for your review and your stay at Kontiki Beach Resort.
I am happy to read that you have enjoyed your stay at our resort. Thank you so much for your kind words about the accommodation, beach, tropical garden and Kontiki team. It makes me happy that you would recommend our resort to other travelers.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future!

Reviewed 3 January 2018

The landscaping of this hotel is really lovely - just like you see in the pictures, which is a nice change from the anonymous corridors of most tourist places. It's also fun to swim in the pools, and the beach is quite good. The restaurant is over-priced for food that is not bad but not extraordinary, but it has great music and entertainment sometimes.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank ShomerShabbatFamily

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your review and your stay at Kontiki Beach Resort.

I am very pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay in our resort. Thank you so much for your kind words about the landscaping, swimming pools and beach. Thank you for your feedback, we share this with the rest of the team.

Reviewed 3 January 2018

Very nice and beautiful surroundings; you feel like you're in a tropical forest. Each cabin/room virtually has it's own pool. The cabins/rooms are very nice; spacious and nice decorated, cosy. Friendly staff. Clean. Nice beach.
The only down side is noise.. First of all there's a beach party twice a week until 2AM. Our cabin was next to the parking lot of Cabana/Mood Beach. The noice was reflecting from the neighbouring building. In fact, the music felt more loud in the resort than on the beach itself. Sencondly, due to the wooden construction, people upstairs should be aware of the noise they make when walking, moving chairs, throwing shoes on the floor etc. If you're able to block out the noise, it's a great place to stay.

1  Thank Marcel V

Dear Marcel,

Thank you very much for your review and your stay at Kontiki Beach Resort.
I am very pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay at our resort. Thank you so much for your kind words about the location, topical garden, room and swimming pool. Thank you for your feedback and comments. Your comments will be shared with the rest of the team.

Reviewed 31 December 2017

the rooms are cosy with a large bathroom and a very nice porch, with views of lush tropical gardens and winding swimming pools between the low buildings. the surroundings give a peaceful feeling! the sandy beach is large with lots of shade possibilities, and drinks and food can be ordered from you sun bed.
Lots of bars, restaurants and shops in walking distance, and also the sea aquarium.
Great hospitality! We will return!

Room Tip: not too close to the beach if you don't like loud music in the evenings, second storey has a bet...

Dear Elly,

Thank you so much for your review and your stay at Kontiki Beach Resort.

I am happy to read that you have enjoyed your stay at Kontiki Beach Resort. Thank you for your kind words about the rooms, tropical gardens, swimming pools, beach and restaurants. We would like to offer our guests a unique experience and I am glad you have fully enjoyed yours.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future!

Reviewed 30 December 2017 via mobile

We arrived at around midnight on 26/27th December. The taxi service organised by the hotel was excellent. We went on to use that firm’s excellent taxi service throughout our stay.

We were greeted by security staff who were expecting us but didn’t really know what they were doing. Check in took around 45 minutes despite our room being prepaid and despite there being no other guests around. An example of the inefficiencies: “can I have one passport”. He went away to copy it and returned “now I want your other passport” and then he went off again to copy the second one. Everything that one would expect to take one minute, took 15!

We were driven part way to our room in a buggy but when we were told to get off, the staff couldn’t find our room. They began shining torches on room numbers to check where they were and then told us to walk to the next block, then the next, and then the next. They were apologetic and carried our luggage, but after flying all day we were tired.

Eventually we got to our room. The room itself is beautiful, but there is a very strong unpleasant odour. When they clean the room it goes away for a few hours but then comes back. I suspect it could be the drains as when we flush the toilet, water comes up through the shower drain!!!

We were not checked in properly because of the time of arrival so no one explained how the beach clubs work, nor how to charge things to our room. We had to find everything out for ourselves. So, to charge to your room you have to set up an account. That’s fine, to be expected really, but, did anyone help us do that? No. We had to find out by trying to charge something to our room, only to be told we had to go back to reception to set up an account.

Prior to arrival we had asked if the resort could change money and we were simply told “yes”. On arrival we were told “we’ve never been asked to change English pounds before, we will have to check with finance and next time you come to reception we will tell you”. 4 days later and still no answer. The staff tell you they will do something, but then never do.

We asked at reception 3 times for an iron and ironing board to be left in our room and only on the 4th time/day did it appear!!! This is despite room information saying there is an iron in each room.

The hotel appears to be associated with two beach clubs: Canaba and Mood. However, the staff at Kontiki told us nothing about either of them. It transpired that during our stay they were pretty much booked up! The staff at the beach clubs make themselves look busy but in reality they do little and service is very poor. The hotel have now managed to book us into Mood for NYE but we had to complain to get that. I have left a separate review of “Mood” as service was very poor.

We paid extra for a full service room to get guaranteed sun beds reserved at Cabana, but on arrival on two days (before 11am as stated due to high season) we were told they were full. The hotel have offered to arrange a meeting with the manager of Cabana, but as we pay the hotel for this service they should really sort this themselves.

It feels to us that those who speak Dutch get vastly superior service. Several staff at the clubs have commented that they do not normally have English guests and we do not really feel welcome at the resort. We are used to good and friendly service, no matter what language we speak.

We have spent a lot of money, not only on the hotel but also so far at the beach clubs, but loyalist is not rewarded by good service at all.

We have had some great friendly service at other beach clubs and restaurants during our stay so this is not indicative of the Island (which is beautiful) but more this resort and associated beach clubs.

Sadly, we would not be able to recommend staying here despite how absolutely stunning the resort itself is. The pools and vegetation are amazing.

The hotel pretends it is environmentally friendly, saying they will only change towels every four days and to hang them up. We do so, but, they leave fresh towels not once, but twice daily!!! Personally I don’t object to fresh towels, but, don’t pretend you are environmentally friendly when you are not.

We have another 5 nights to go so hopefully things will improve!

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jared M
TerencevdValk, General Manager at Van der Valk Kontiki Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2017

Dear Jared,

Thank you so much for your review and your stay at Kontiki Beach Resort.

On behalf of the Kontiki team, I would like to thank you for your kind words about the taxi service, the room, the pools and vegetation.

I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced during your stay. I really take care of your valuable feedback and your experience. And your comments will be shared with the rest of the team.

Despite your comments, we hope to be able to welcome you back on a return visit to Curacao.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 25 December 2017 via mobile

Like many others warn on Trip Advisor, the loud noise from the beach parties is a significant issue here. Knowing about this beforehand, I did my best to avoid the beach party bass by calling ahead as well as reminding the staff at check in. I was located in the middle of the resort (building 15) and could hear thumping bass in my room (3am on Sunday and until midnight Monday and Tuesday). Thankfully I wasn't there for the big Wednesday party. I thought before my stay that people exaggerated about this problem, plus I'm not so sensitive and live downtown in a very noisy city. I still was bothered by the noise.
Aside from this, the hotel was quite lovely and a nice first stop in my trip exploring Curaçao. I also found the staff to be very friendly and helpful, the food was good, and I enjoyed lounging around Mood beach and swimming in the pools near my room. Mambo beach area is very touristy, however it made my first few days in a new country an easy start.
If I were mid 20's party guy, I would love to come back here. But the bass heavy music in my room late at night when I'm trying to relax- I couldn't stay here again.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank permatraveler
TerencevdValk, General Manager at Van der Valk Kontiki Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2017

Dear Perma,

Thank you for your review and your stay at Kontiki Beach Resort.

I am happy to read that you have enjoyed your stay at Kontiki Beach Resort. Thank you so much for your kind words about the resort, the Kontiki team, Mood Beach and our salt water pools. I really take care of your valuable feedback and your experience.

Hopefully we may welcome you again in the near future to Kontiki Beach Resort.