“Nice and relaxing”

Screw's Sulphur Spa
Ranked #14 of 111 things to do in Dominica
Reviewed April 21, 2017

The amenities were a little rough, but the spa itself was really nicely designed and a very relaxing experience. No obnoxious surfer smell! We called it the Goldilocks spa as you could pick a pool that was the best temperature for you!

All reviews
"another couple"
"visiting dominica"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed April 5, 2017

Having visited Screw Sulpher Spa two years ago while in port for the day on a cruise I knew what to expect. My first experience was wonderful.....the only negative in my opinion is that it got crowded with the bus loads of people stopping in after their island tours from the cruise ship for a soak in the pools. My plan was to avoid the crowds and hire a local driver to take us directly there and drop us off to enjoy the pools before the crowds from the cruise tours arrived. The driver I hired tried to talk us out of stopping there and instead he wanted to take us to the spa next door. I declined his offer and arranged for him to pick us up two hours later. Much to our joy we had the place to ourselves when we arrived and NOBODY....NOT one other paying customer showed up!!!!! The first thing I noticed upon arrival was the entrance fee had doubled from $10 to $20 and that there was a huge tarp suspended in the trees hiding a beautiful waterfall that could be seen as you ascended the stairs into the pools. Near the end of our two hour stay I approached the only person I saw there to take our picture and it turned out to be the owner. I questioned him and asked him why we had this place all to ourselves and wondered if doubling the entrance price had anything to do with it? He told us that he wanted to keep it exclusive and more private experience and was discouraging the crowds and bus loads of people from coming.......when our driver showed up and asked us how our experience was and I told him we were the only ones there, he said he already knew that before he asked because the owner of "Screws" turned very nasty with the locals and with his "blood brother" who owns the spa next door and they are having issues and are trying to sabotage each others business. The local taxi and bus drivers do not support Screws anymore and are steering away his customers and the cruise companies no longer take tours there. The tarp was installed by the spa owner next door because the waterfall is on his property and he didn't want patrons of Screws "looking at it".......because of their "family feud", we ended up enjoying the sulpher pools to ourselves and the owner made us feel really special and served us a yummy fruit platter at the end of our soak.

The spa area and pools itself are not run down, rather rustic and natural, in a rain forest. I will admit the front entrance looks a bit shabby and is in need of a facelift and repair of signs and painting. The spa area itself has been worked on and the owner is finishing off a water slide that project had been started a few years ago and is nearing completion. The pools do vary in temperature and there is one pool where the water is very, very hot and I could not even stand in it for 10 seconds without burning my feet.....

1  Thank Debbie1012
Reviewed March 2, 2017

Screw's is a hot spring fed series of bathing pools in what looks like it might be trying for a jungle fantasy theme. Rather run down and in disrepair, but the pools were free of leaves and rubbish. The pools are large, and go from hottest to coolest as you go. I only thought the first one was hot enough to be worth it. Note that the water is sulfurous, so it has an odor and is very cloudy. Supposed to have beneficial effects for your skin, but you may want a freshwater rinse after.

Reviewed March 1, 2017

$20 US was over priced for the experience. I think this place has seen better days. Place was run down and the existing space could use some updating - especially the entrance. We went at night and it was dark; could hardly see where I was going. Used cell phone flashlight to see going down uneven steps. I think if I could see the place better, I would have left as it's looks on the sketchy gross side. The owner must be smoking too much herb to care. It's not clear where to pay but Screws "wife" appeared out of the dark to take money. Could not hear her because she thought it was smart to stand in front of a speaker blaring music and whisper the price. She had no sense to move away from the loud music or instead maybe stand at the entrance to greet the patrons respectfully. I never saw a restroom so the pools must be urine pools. No refreshments or beverages to buy. Not sure if you can bring your own. I'm really grossed out by the place.

See more reviews
Reviewed February 27, 2017

The owner has created a serious of hot sulphur pools of different temperatures that is a perfect venue to soak away stress in a verdant setting. We stopped here after a visit to Trafalgar Falls and lunch at Papillote and spent several hours cycling between hot and warm with a dip in the cold plunge pool.

Very rustic. No services available other than rudimentary changing area as bar was closed. But it didn't matter as we met and chatted with other visitors while enjoying the soak. Note, the water looks muddy but is the result of the sulphur however there was no oder