New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Adam Suites

Adam Suites
Ranked #3 of 61 Santo Domingo B&B and Inns
Bristol, Rhode Island
“The Best place to relax”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

My personal experience at this hotel the few times I was there was just excellent. No complaint, the owner and the staff is great, they lookout for me when I left the hotel with my friends who lives in DR, they made sure I was going out with the right people. the security at the hotel is on point. Bugarrones at the hotel during the day or night is a false statement, I didn't see any at any time. The owner is a smart business man. Well trained staff to meet such high standards and to make customers happy at their stay. Dominican Republic is a nice place to relax and Adam suites hotel offers relaxation. The price for the hotel and the amenities are just great. I thought it was a bargain. The club at the hotel is great, something l can barely find back home. There is no discrimination agains't any feminine or gay people in general (that's an irrelevant statement) I recommend this place to anyone. I come here very often and I will be coming to the hotel again.

Room Tip: All rooms are great, I like the biggest one.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
10 Thank Josco26

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

I stayed at the Adam Suites hotel in September for two weeks and came back in December/2011, I was really impress with the service, staff was very very friendly. The Rooms are comfortable, very clean and very afordable.The location is great, I was close to everything, the Beach, El conde, the bars, the Gym, etc. I had a good time at the club they have at the Hotel, Saturday is a big night, you can actually meet nice and very sexy Dominicans. In front of the hotel you can find the best Dominican Food, very cheap and the staff very friendly.You can find Los Colmados. I loved the 24 hour Security, They have a little pool upstairs where you can get some sun and chill. I am going back in April and I am looking forward to staying at the Adam Suites Hotel.

Room Tip: If you are Single and you are in a budget you can get room number 3, small but very comfortable.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank HappyTourist13
davidhaf1
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

I have travelled to Santo Domigo about 5 times each year for the past 5 years and have stayed in both high end and low end hotels,I am also a hotel Director in New Yok for the past 20 years.I contacted The Adam Suite hotel last November and was keen for me and my friends to try it out(Nov 10-14/2011)I was bowled over by the following,my airport pickup was punctual and professional,the check in staff was pleasant,friendly and not overbearing,my room was very spacious with well appointed amenites and very clean(an absolute must for me)hot running water,working AC,all electrical outlets in top working order(thanks to their own generator)..the Owner Gilbert treated us as if we were visiting family members coming home,the price was affordable,the location as central as you can be..I plan on making this hotel my home while in the Zona Colonial and will recommend it highly to my discerning friends..also please stop by their world renowned club on Saturdays,the best In Santo Domingo..please be considerate and save me a room..David F(New York)

Room Tip: Ask for the Deco rooms or the Deco plus..the price is graet so splurge a little
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank dferdinand
Red Bank, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

I was suprised by the Adamsuitehotel,yes it is easy to pass if you did not know its location,but it is very discreetly located and the staff is unreal,they go all out to make sure you have a great stay,the rooms are very clean and the hot water was hot,not like the other pricier hotel I have stayed at nearby,I did not mind paying for my room with cash,this is not unusual in a third world country,I love the inhouse Disco on Friday and Saturday night's.Even when I went to my room to sleep while the Disco was still open.I was able to sleep without a problem,i have just rebooked with them for another stay and will be a patron for many stay's as I visit Santo Domingo at least 4 times a Year

Room Tip: al the rooms are great
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank duane w
Arlington, Texas, USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2011

I recently stayed at this hotel and was highly dissapointed for the following reasons:
It is a cash only hotel (meaning that you pay for the room rate and applicable taxes in cash), I have never stayed in a hotel where they demand cash only.
Second, there is night club within the premises, inside of the hotel. Try to sleep at night and it is impossible, even though the night club is open twice a week from 11 PM till 5 AM, no refund was offered for the inconvenience that I was put through.
Third, I had to chase for a guy to open the door for me whenever I wanted to go out.
Fourth, the hotel caters to a particular clientele, looking for bugarrones, the hotel is full of them during the day. Bugarrones is a word that they use in Santo Domingo for male sex servers
Fifth, discriminate agaist gays who are femenine and flamboyant.
Sixth, I was overcharged for an airport pick up, they charge 40 dollars when a lot of the times you can get it for 25
Seventh, the cleaning lady forgot the towels and toilet paper.
These are some of the reasons, I could go on an on, but I am sure that you all travelers out there will get the idea.

Room Tip: If you are planning to go to Santo Domingo, look for another hotel, there are several hotels in the...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
18 Thank Sergio R
adamsuiteshotel, Owner at Adam Suites, responded to this review, 16 March 2012
Dear Reviewer:

I have to disagree with you in regards to the following statements.

1-) You expressed in your review that " The hotel caters to a particular clientele, looking for bugarrones, the hotel is full of them during the day".

My reply to you:

Such broad statement is not accurate and is misleading. We are open for all gay people around the world that come to visit Santo Domingo for whatever reason- either business or pleasure. Gay people is our clientele and not a segment within.

It is also a false statement that the hotel is full of "bugarrones" during the day. Not true.
We have a very strong door policy and local guests can only enter the building if accompanied by a guest staying at the hotel. If not, they are not allowed. Period.

2-) You wrote: " I was overcharged for an airport pick up, they charge 40 dollars"

My reply to you:

You were not over charge at all on the contrary. Taxi fares from the airport to the colonial zone is around $40 dollars (as of march 2012) depending on the arrival time. During the day the fare may be around $35 dollars because more taxis are available but it goes up late in the afternoon and in the evening. When you take into consideration that we send a driver to personally pick you and he awaits for you till you clear customs (either 30-40 minutes) or even waits outside if the plane is late (an hour or two) the fare of $40 dollars is a very reasonable and inexpensive one. That's also a safety investment that every guest is encourage to make- You know that you are getting into a car that is taking you to the right hotel without a hassle and no issues at all.

Your personal safety should always take priority over money (in this case few dollars).

Thanks for allowing me to express myself and my opinion.
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2011

I recently stayed at the Adam Suites Hotel and Nightclub, a new addition to the Zona Colonial in Santo Domingo. The rooms range from $39-$59 per night plus taxes. If you didn't know exactly where the hotel is and what the building looks like, you would pass right by it. There's no sign, or anything else to tell you that this is a hotel. From the outside, it looks like a private residence.

The common areas inside the hotel are beautiful. In the rooms, everything is brand new, sparkling clean, and very well equipped, especially at this price point. The rooms have A/C, fan, very comfortable beds, safe, refrigerator, dresser, cable TV, and free Wifi. Casual visitors are allowed for no additional charge. There is allegedly a patio and pool on the roof, but the whole time I was there in the daytime, the door to the roof was bolted shut so I never got to see what's up there. On the surface, this place seems like a great find for the gay tourist to Santo Domingo. But there are serious flaws in this business model.

Upon confirming my reservation, then reconfirming my arrival date and approximate time with the owner, I continued to receive multiple phone messages from him asking me if I was still planning to come, even leaving messages for me on Facebook (This is still before the arrival time that I had already given him when I reconfirmed) This just seemed creepy to me. When I finally did arrive, I simply paid, was shown to my room, and didn't seem to pay me any mind for the rest of my stay. In fact, that was pretty much the attitude of the other guests and the other people working there. They didn't so much as speak to you. You were simply ignored.

As clearly stated on the website, this place is also a nightclub. It is open on Fridays and Saturdays and costs 150 pesos to get in, and it is LOUD and pounding all night long, like until 5 in the morning! I was here with my boyfriend who is Dominican and we found it very difficult to sleep at night. There is a sign posted as you go upstairs to the club that has the "rules" in Spanish such as "No shorts, No men who act like women, No people who are not buying drinks.Yes to the dancers of Bachata and Salsa. Masculine Papis only. You are welcome. As for the rest, stay at home and save yourself the trip!" Hmmm.. really welcoming place! Outside at night seemed dangerous, and coming back to the hotel from going out to eat, my boyfriend noted that there were known delinquents hanging out on the corner across from the hotel.

The doors to the hotel are locked 24 hours a day, and there may or may not be someone at the entrance to let you in or out. Often it was a hassle searching the building to find someone to let you out, or waiting outside to be let into the building. It's good that they have this security, but at least have someone to open the door for you.

It is quite a shame, because the accommodations in this hotel were actually very nice. And I'm sure the nightclub is nice too for those who are interested. But to put two very different businesses in the same location?! It just can't work. Not everyone in the world goes out clubbing every night until dawn. Some nights you just want to relax. That and the general attitude of everyone in the place was a BIG turnoff. They are clearly looking for one particular demographic of clientele and if you don't fit that type, then too bad. It was a big letdown, as there is a real shortage of good quality accommodations in the Colonial Zone of Santo Domingo in this price range.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
12 Thank Eric M
adamsuiteshotel, Owner at Adam Suites, responded to this review, 14 April 2013
I want to start by thanking the reviewer for giving us such high marks (excellent and very good) on cleanliness, rooms, value and location. Those ratings are much appreciated because they were given by the same person that also rated us as an overall “poor” hotel. Amazing contradictions! 

I decided to update my owner’s response to this review written back in 2011 because I know that future guests may read it as part of their overall decision making process while also reading my dozens of great reviews on this site.

In this review was said that “the doors to the hotel are locked 24 hours a day’. It was a false statement back them and still is. A security guard sits 24/7 (two shifts) at the entrance door and does not leave, Period. From the moment we opened our doors all my guests have praised my staff and the hotel in regards to safety and security.

I also would like to update, refute and/or clarify some other points made and personally address the reviewer.

Let’s start with our roof area. You mentioned that it was “bolted shut” and that “never got to see what's up there”. Well, you may have perceived it to be “closed” but it was designed to slide to the side. I wonder why you never asked- You just had to slide it to the side and it will open automatically. But, you never did!

Then, you went on and say “there are serious flaws in this business model”- you are kidding me! Are we going into the MBA field now too?!

You also wrote that “Upon confirming my reservation, then reconfirming my arrival date and approximate time with the owner, I continued to receive multiple phone messages from him” “This just seemed creepy to me”. Hah, creepy? You are kidding me again! You just forgot to mention on your review that originally you wanted us to pick you up but the time given was incorrect. I personally called you 2-3 times to get the right info but you never bothered to answer me; finally you arrived on your own.

Allow me now to focus on the most unfair part of the whole review when you wrote: “I simply paid. was shown to my room, and didn't seem to pay me any mind for the rest of my stay…. “You were simply ignored. The whole sentence is JUST A FLAT LIE! Period. We pride ourselves for our great customer service, hospitality and friendliness and I still wonder why you wrote such statement.

In regards to the club area… I don’t even want to go there because the club was closed on Feb 2012, but the whole paragraph of us discriminating against gays is just a joke- we are the only all gay hotel in the country, you get it, right?

Finally, and once again. I appreciate your excellent and very good rating for our hotel on cleanliness, value, rooms and location.