“GOOD BUT NOT EXELENT,AND BECAREFULL WITH ROYAL HOLIDAY VACATION”

Grand Paradise Playa Dorada
Ranked #8 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Peterborough
“GOOD BUT NOT EXELENT,AND BECAREFULL WITH ROYAL HOLIDAY VACATION”
Reviewed 4 May 2012

We were there for easter weekend,ok,don't go when is a world holiday,is bad,you not going to have a good time.
Emplyeer very good ,very nice people,very clean.but managers they can be very rud.
And also and more important,carefull with this people said they have a gift for you so you have to go with them,well PLEASE DON'T GO no matter what they said DON'T GO they will take 4 or 5 hours of your time to sell you a membership wich is a fraud yes a FRAUD
They did to me and when I ask if <cuz I want it go to the beach I was tired to be there,I said Ok
but what happend if when I get to Canada and after a check I don't like it,well they said you have 30 days to said and we reverse everything,NO IS A LIE, now they want to charge me for fraud.and in a big trouble cuz they use my boyfriend credit card and they dont want to put his money back
so be aware DON'T LOOSE YOUR TIME WITH THIS LIERS CROKER PEOPLE, BE CAREFUULL you can buy whatever they offer for much much less

Room Tip: dont be close to the pool if you want to sleep at night...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
14 Thank Alejandra P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (515)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 30 April 2012

For those of you who haven't experienced 'all inclusives' in third world countries before, do not have high expectations for this resort. Find a 5 star in Punta Cana, if you want the Dominican. You are going to an old, poor, dirty town. The resort is a 3 star, at best. The air, climate, water, food, drinks, smells, tastes, are all going to be different than what you are used to at home. All inclusive vacations are meant for sun and relaxation, for most 'all inclusive' vacationers. That's it. That's all you go for. Don't expect 'paradise' at the Grand Paradise.
It's a small, quaint, resort, that's clean and basic. You won't starve and you won't go thirsty.
The rooms are nice, the service is good, it's noisy around the pool, the entertainment is tacky, bla, bla, bla. I went for heat and rest. The temperature was 30 degrees each day and I read 3 books. Leave your expectations at home and go to these places with an open mind. Stop complaining. What do you expect from these places? You're right beside Haiti, for petes sakes!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
23 Thank Paintedtoes_12

Travellers are raving about these Puerto Plata hotels

Toronto
Reviewed 23 April 2012

The beach is amazing. Great location just tell the beach sellers to go away and your good. The Rooms in the 4th building were very nice. We had a oceanview ground floor suite very nice and was clean everyday the maid was super friendly. The staff is amazing not too harassing and annoying. Excellent place to clear your head. The Food needs work but the a la carte resturant every night we went was amazing at dinner. we ate there 3 nites. its only 7 days and if you expect chef ramsey the stay home. We paid under $1400 for 7days all inclusive and it was worth the pennies

Room Tip: Oceanview and A la carte dinner
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank Chirysh D
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We were at this resort just before Easter. The rooms were great, comfy beds and clean. The food was okay, we had no problem finding something we liked to eat. At the snack bar at the beach they serve chicken wings, fries and pizza daily among other things, for the really picky this would satisfy them. People have to remember they are not at home so the food is different. Usually over cooked as it is better this way as it is hot their and you want to cook out the bacteria. The service at the buffet is slow but this is very common in other countries, didn't bother us as we expect this and are really not in a rush and we have legs to help ourselves. The booze was fine but the wine at the bars not so good, but this is common in other countries. You can order a bottle at dinner if you like to have a good wine.

The resort was very clean and the beach was great, clean but windy and no problem getting loungers. Hidden surprise was the snorkeling that we found right at the beach. If you are looking out at the ocean from the buffet it is located slightly to the right. Right at the point where there is a couple of rock statues. You don't need your flippers as it is really close to the shore. You can save the weight for the souvenirs you can bring back.

If you are wanting to buy souvenirs you should walk out to the beach and look to your left and you will see the orange market, it is about a 10 minute beautiful walk along the beach, best prices and you need to barter big time. There is also a little shopping village with restaurants behind the resort. Souvenirs are more expensive here and the tours are cheaper than at the resort. There is a pizza hut I believe as well.

The resort really doesn't deserve what some of the people are saying. The only bad thing I can say is alot of people including ourselves got diarrhea which last for many days no less than a week or two. For this reason we would not go back. I really think someone should investigate why this is happening. We didn't eat anywhere but the resort and did not drink the tap water or brush our teeth with it. They say the water at the bar and restaurants are safe and I am not sure about that. I think they should really test this. If you go to this resort as it is very cheap, maybe consider taking Dukoral before you go. I reasearched this on the internet and I think we may take this before we travel to these sort of countries in the future as this is the second time we have got this. 2 out of 10 trips to these type of countries. I think it would be worth it. We love travelling to different hot destinations and this really puts a damper on things.

I wish you happy travels!!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
12 Thank Honest025
Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 22 April 2012

My husband and I vacationed at Grand Paradise Playa Dorada in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic April 7th - April 14th 2012. We were extremely disappointed with the entire experience. I had secretly planned this trip for our 15th wedding anniversary and his 40th birthday. We could not have been more disappointed. We had stayed at Playa Dorada, but in a different resort, in 2001 and had a wonderful experience.

The good:
-Our room was nice, spartan, but nice. Which was great because, between the rain and being sick, we spent a lot of time in that room.
-The maid staff was nice and did a good job cleaning up after us, especially the bathroom after our bouts of diarrhea. We always had plenty of bottled water and our request for extra towels was not an issue.
-The service in Michaelangelo's restaurant was polite and attentive.
-At the beginning of the week there was yogurt at breakfast every morning, but there was never any yogurt at lunch or dinner. During the worst of my husband's sickness, we went to dinner and I asked the hostess if she could find us some yogurt. She brought me one container and a few minutes later a man came out of the kitchen and brought us several more containers. The same man brought us yogurt the following morning. This was greatly appreciated, as by the end of the week there was no longer any yogurt served at breakfast either.

The bad:
-Upon check-in we were told that as timeshare owners we were considered VIP's and would receive special treatment throughout our stay. We were each fitted with a holographic wrist band and told that it would afford us special treatment and amenities including the VIP lounge which had free Internet access. Neither my husband or I expected or desired VIP treatment, we simply wanted to enjoy our vacation together. As you will see in this review, our wish was left severely unsatisfied. Later in the week, we attempted to use the VIP lounge and were told by the woman there that we were not allowed because it was for owners only.
-When you check-in you are given pool towel cards. You exchange them for towels and you can exchange the towels for fresh ones at will. You are told that if you lose a towel or card the charge is $15 to replace it. On Sunday morning, our first full day there, we went down to the pool and set up beside an umbrella about 20 feet from the water. It was hot and after about 30 minutes we decided to cool off in the pool. We left our stuff on the chairs. 10 minutes later we exited the pool, walked back to our chairs, and found that our stuff had been tossed on the ground and my towel was gone. The couple beside us had their towels taken also. Thankfully, the hotel did not charge us for the stolen towel.
-On Sunday afternoon we went to the beach and while there overheard a younger couple talking to an older couple about how horrible their week had been. They complained about the bland food and said that they had been sick for much of the week. They also said that they had talked to a large group that had left that morning and that they were all sick. They all took puke bags onto the bus for the ride back to the airport.
- The nightly shows were uninspiring and held no interest for us. The only show that we had any interest in seeing was the magic show on Tuesday night, but we were both sick and therefore unable to attend.
-Our room was located overlooking the pool and outdoor bar/club area. Every night we had to endure the annoying techno-sounding music and atrocious live singer.

The ugly:
-The food was not good. It was repetitive, bland, and tasteless. The "hot" foods were warm at best, usually cold, and the “cold” foods (salad, vegetables, fruits, cheeses, etc) were warm. The breads were stale. The juices were watery reconstituted crap. The resort website claims “the best gastronomy of the area”. We disagree wholeheartedly.
-The service in the buffet restaurant was inattentive to us and our needs. During almost every meal we had to find a server to bring us drinking glasses, water, napkins, and silverware. We would wait for 10-20 minutes for beverage refills and often had to get up and either get them ourselves or chase someone down and ask them to come over and serve us. And as all of this was going on we would watch in amazement as others around us received what we were not.
-Upon our arrival, we were told about the a-la cart restaurants. Reservations were required as were appropriate attire, including long pants for men. Additionally, sandals, flip-flops, and tank-tops were not allowed. Unfortunately, my husband had not brought pants along on our trip, which was our fault. We made reservations for Michaelangelo's (the Italian restaurant) and decided to go into town to buy pants. Prior to buying pants we confirmed with several other staff members that pants were required attire for men. The night that we went to Michaelangelo's my husband wore his new, Dominican bought, pants. We had been in the restaurant mere minutes when two nicely dressed men, wearing shorts, were seated at a table near us. Needless to say this was aggravating. The next night we went to Eden's (the steakhouse restaurant) and witnessed the same thing, except this time a man came in wearing nothing more than gym clothes and shower sandals! This was beyond infuriating.
-The service at Eden's was atrocious. After being sat, our water glasses went unfilled for several minutes, and we were not asked what other beverages we might want to have. The server appeared from behind us without warning, didn't greet us, and tersely stated “OK” instead of asking us for our order. At that point, I wasn't even sure why he was there. After taking our order he did not let us know that we could get our own salads from the salad bar, which from our seating position was roped off from the public. I assumed that he was either not a friendly guy or that he was having a bad day. But then we witnessed him greet the next couple to arrive by shaking the man's hand, hugging him and kissing the woman on the cheek. We were both left wondering what we had done wrong to deserve such unsatisfactory treatment.
-The food at each of the a-la cart restaurants was not good. We both had the lasagna at Michaelangelo's, because nothing else sounded appealing. It was tasteless and uninspired. At Eden's we both ordered the meat kabob's. This entrée was bordering on inedible and we both left dinner hungry.
-Monday we went on an excursion into the city of Puerto Plata. We toured the rum factory, a cigar factory, a jewelry maker, the amber museum, and took a cable car ride to the top of the mountain. This is also when we bought the “required” pants. It was a nice outing. It was when we came back to the resort that things took a weird turn for the worse. The resort has 425 rooms, it's easy to imagine how many people could have been there. As we walked past the pool area there were exactly 4 people around the pool. I thought to myself, “Where is everybody?” Then a furious woman came stomping around the corner and started screaming at the four people who were poolside "Are you sick!?" They said no. And she said "you know, blah, throwing up." They said no again. She then screamed that she was there with a group of 20+ people and that they were all sick and up in their rooms throwing up. She then stomped off towards the lobby area screaming that “everybody in the whole damn place is sick!”
-Tuesday we got up and both of us were not feeling so great. We barely ate breakfast and shouldn't have gone on the excursion that we had scheduled. The trip was called The Safari, where you ride on an open air bus, stop at a village to see how Dominican's in the countryside live, visit a river-side shop where you watch the locals carve beautiful things out of limestone and such, another village where you watch a lady make coffee and coco from raw beans, and then a trip to a river where you climb waterfalls. We were both nauseous on and off, but I figured that was possibly due to the combination of the rough ride and the diesel exhaust from the bus. Due to all of the rain, the waterfalls were raging. After walking for 20 minutes we hit the river and the falls. It was less climbing and more getting pulled up by your arms and life jackets (yes, life jackets and helmets). Then after climbing up, you got to slide back down the waterfalls. On one waterfall you had the option of climbing down a ladder or jumping 10+ feet down into the water. Also, at the bottom of each waterfall the water sucks you down very hard. Even with the life jackets on it was almost impossible to swim back to the surface, and we're both strong swimmers. The guides pulled us up by the life jackets and helmets, which was good because without that it would have been easy to drown. After walking the 20 minutes back to the parking lot I got very sick with diarrhea. Luckily there was a nice bathroom available. Then it was time to ride the hour or so back to the resort. I got progressively worse and ended up vomiting out of the side of the bus. My husband got sick that night as well.
-Wednesday was wasted. I was a bit better, but my husband was sick all day. We mostly stayed in the room.
-Thursday our stomachs didn't hurt, but we both still had diarrhea. We did finally get a chance to go on to the beach, our first time since Sunday afternoon. As we walked down to the beach a staff member approached us and asked if we had just gotten there saying "you're so white, did you get here yesterday?" I answered “No, we've been here since Saturday, and we've been sick for 3 days now!” He told us that a lot of people there were unhappy and that many people had been sick there lately.
-My husband was sick again with diarrhea most of Thursday night. By Friday morning he had had enough and started taking anti-diarrheal medicine, which lessened his discomfort, but still didn't solve the problem. Friday afternoon we were finally able to get into the ocean, our 6th and final full day there.

All in all, this was a very disappointing and frustrating vacation experience for both of us. I had planned and saved for this trip for over a year and I was so excited when I surprised my husband with the news of our trip. We were both looking forward to a week of paradise. What we were subjected to was a week of lost time, lost opportunity, and wasted money. Sadly, the best tasting, best prepared, and best presented food that we saw all week was in business class on the airplane flight home. When we have taken trips like this in the past we have cried when it was time to leave and go back home. At the end of this long week, we both cried, overjoyed to be leaving Grand Paradise.

Room Tip: Stay away from poolside rooms. Garden or beachfront rooms should be quieter.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
15 Thank Nicole C
Miramichi
Reviewed 19 April 2012

The beach was great, the pool needs a little work. The rooms were fine but are a little small. Was quite sick while i was here, a few people in our party were as well. I'm not sure if it was a bug or the food.

Room Tip: Request an upgraded room
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Stephanie L
waterdown
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We were at this resort for two weeks just before Easter. The resort is well layed out and easy access for most- very easy to meet people. The wait staff were very friendly once they got to know you and tipping didn't hurt. The rooms were clean. One key was an issue at times but we did manage-- had to keep the door open a crack when husband went for his siesta so I wouldn't wake him entering. Water bottles were always provided and we never had to ask for towels.
We did have an issue w/ our tummies on and off-- I always come prepared and travel w/ Cipro.
We both arrived home w a bad chest and head cold- we r in the south right!! 12 days home and still getting over it.
We did go on a few trips and do recommend the safari w/waterfall-- be prepared for a challenge.
Be very carefull booking the catarmaran off the vendors on the beach- it leaves from Barcelo. We had a hell of an experience-- 10 - 15 foot swails and the Captain had said we were safe and we would be ok. Most people got sick and the staff was emptying buckets. they must of made a good profit that day-- no one ate nor drank!!!
We demanded to get off the boat at Sosua- they brought a diving boat in and boarded more then half of us , no life jackets and high waves!!! The driver of the boat then pulled away from the catarmaran - stopped the boat and wanted money-you are kidding -the captain had said this guy would take us back to shore -no charge. People were really sick- not a good time to ask for money.My husband nearly threw him off the boat-- we did get to shore-- he drove the boat right onto the beach and one lady hit her head because he didn't slow down. We did survive-- always an adventure!!
The vendors on the beach are plentiful but ok- I like to bargain and have fun w/ them. THE market down the beach was good-- if they say 20 u better say 5.The STAFF and CARLOS are something else-- Never have I been to a resort and been bugged so much about timeshare--- Don't get sucked into this - do your math-- it is cheaper to travel on a all inclusive then this! All in all I put this resort at 3 -- the food was not up to par-- have seen much better. The beach was good- no sand fleas and very few bugs on resort. Probably not back to this resort- would go back to Bahia Principe in La Romana without question.
PEPE and Chiky and Honey were great and kept u entertained.
Met some great people and relaxed thats wha really matters!!

Room Tip: We were in 2020 right near pool on 2nd floor and enjoyed it!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple