“Great Stay at Gran Ventana!”

VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Ottawa, Canada
“Great Stay at Gran Ventana!”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Had a great week at the Gran April 5-12. Staff, hotel, , food, room everything was amazing. The only thing I would add to this is that it would be nice to have a coffee maker and an iron in the rooms. I always like to sit on the balcony in the morning while my husband is still sleeping and have a coffee. And one day while getting ready for dinner, I was looking to iron my dress and my husband shirt could not find one, had to call guest services and they only lend them for an hour, it was not the best but it did the trick! We had the best service ever at the a la carte "El Caracol" We had mentioned that we wanted " arroz con habichuelas" and was told to come by two days later and that is what we had.... we were in heaven!! Thank you very much Franklyn!

Room Tip: I sent an email about 2 weeks prior to our flight and requested the Saona Building and that is what...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank FamilyTrip201067

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,102)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
CT
Reviewed 22 April 2012

We stayed here for 8 days and it was an excellent value for the money. I would reccommend this hotel to couples, friends, and families!! The grounds of the hotel are very well maintained. There are many pools that were always very clean and plenty of chairs to lay/ sit on. The property also has tennis courts, a basketball hoop, a kids club, a sauna, and a fitness center. The beach is right next to the hotel and there are chairs and palm umbrellas available for guests to use. The staff of the hotel was extremely friendly!!! There was games, dance lesson, spanish lessons, and volleyball every hour that anyone could participate in! There was also a show each night and music playing that you could dance to. The rooms were very clean and each room had a balcony with chairs.

The all inclusive package included a stocked mini bar (beer, soda, and water) that was filled each day, unlimited drinks at the many bars, access to the buffet (amazing food and tons of selection), and the chance to eat at the many restaurants on site (just make sure you make reservations early on).

The tour desk at the hotel was very helpful and we booked many excursions with them. They went above and beyond to find the perfect trip that you were looking for!

1 Thank LaurenCt
Brough
Reviewed 21 April 2012

We stayed here April 5th-19th, and were delighted with our holiday. I (like many others no doubt) had gone on Tripadvisor to see what was what and the reviews looked fine for the most part.

The hotel is nice and clean and bathrooms have good showers. We stayed in Room 1101 which was excellent as we were right by the pool. The Food (I am a foodie!) was well presented and varied, my two sons (age 11 & 14) had no problem finding something they liked.
We particularly enjoyed the fresh fruit smoothies and Omlettes in the morning and the coffee
they served was fantastic. I enjoyed the Snack Bar on the beach for lunch, which served delicious BBQ chicken and grilled sandwiches amongst oher things. The al la Carte restaurants were all excellent, in particular the Octopus Restaurant...Grilled chicken in a Mango Sauce, Fresh prawns Thai style and delicious steaks ....lots of choice with excellent service! (Make sure you reserve your table on Friday mornings as this is when they book for each week to be sure of plenty of choice re nights...we didn't have to go early infact I went to book them after 9am and was sorted out imediately).

The Entertainment team were lovey and I really recommend the Water Aerobics at 11.30am everyday as I have come back nice and toned and "Jose" the instructor is hillarious!
The children easily found other children to hang out with and enjoyed the Pool tables and water
Volleyball. Having good manners and always saying "Please and Thank you" to the staff go a long way and taking the time to speak some Spanish was appreciated.

Excursions: We booked with Silvia our Thomson Rep, she was fantastic and could not do enough for us. We went on the Outback Safari (Billiant 10/10), Paradise Island, which was also
good, coach ride was 1-2 hours each way BUT worth it as the speedboat ride was great fun.
Also recommended the "Dominican Night" where we had a tour of Puerto Plata and a fantastic
fiesta style dinner afterwards (DMC)..Dominican fried chicken..much to my boys delight ..and it was very tasty.

Tips: Brugal Rum, we bought a few bottles on various excursions and payed $9 each (Outback Safari), however when we got to the Airport it was $13 for TWO bottles, obviously Duty Free makes more sense so wait until then if you can!!!
Try the "Coco Loco" drink which is a Pina Colada with grenadine and "Banana Mama" mixed, I really enjoyed those!!..but only have one or two a day or you will be rushing to the loo as Coconut Milk is also a laxative!!
I am of Olive Complexion and usually use a Factor 15..however it was so hot that I had to upgrade to Factor 30, anything less and I was burning!!

All in all, I felt that we had excellent value for money and the children didn't want to leave.
There were a few roudy "Canadians" there during our stay but never offensive and only
having a good time, it certainly didn't cause us any issues.

The night time entertainment: Michael Jackson Show and the Magic Show were excellent, some nights did fall a bit flat but we were pretty tired by 10pm and were happy to go to bed or drink by the Pool Bar.

Do not pay attention to any negative reviews on here, believe me...I have high standards and was very satisfied. Some of the comments on here are so trivial! If you are travelling to a tropical climate then of course you get the odd bug!! BUT the staff are so helpful so no one has to suffer!!..and that's what they are there for ..to help!!
I am thinking of booking again for next year and I don't generally go back to the same place.
Enjoy your stay : )

Room Tip: Definitely stay by the main pool area, we had room 1101 which was perfect for a family.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank Rebecca R
Wakefield
Reviewed 21 April 2012

i recently returned from the Dominican Republic (April 4th-18th) after a fantastic stay at the Gran Ventana, as a group of 6 mixed aged adults (21 - 44) we found that there was something to keep everybody entertained which resulted in us all having an equally fantastic time.

On arrival check in was prompt and staff were friendly and ensured us that if we needed anything then we only needed to ask (theres nothing better than a warm welcome after a 9 hour flight!) we were given our room keys and wristbands as well as a fruit juice to keep us nice and refreshed as we waited which i thought was a nice touch :).

The grounds of the hotel are immaculate with staff cleaning and mopping around the clock to ensure standards of cleanliness are kept up with.Even after the heavy rain we experienced one night, the staff were cleaning the debris from the storm off the beach. The room we stayed in was cleaned everyday without fail (even on the day my partner was ill, the maid still kept us stocked with fresh towels, water for the fridge etc).

The main pool was clean and there were a sufficient amount of sunbeds for the guests of the hotel. My only fault with the main pool is that the aqua aerobics music is the same everyday, and gets a little tedious when youre staying for 2 weeks, however it is not unbearable and definitely didnt ruin my trip as the entertainment staff made it bearable and deserve credit for the levels of enthusiasm they have considering the amount of hours they work day and night!

The pool area did become quite busy as there were a lot of locals that came to stay for the weekend (easter), however they werent as terrible as some reviewers make out. They werent overly loud and were just having a good time the same as everyone else. In fact their presence gave the area a very fun atmosphere. (Tip: to avoid having to always have to return to the bar for water, soft drinks etc take a flask with you for around the pool to fill as it saves a constant journey to the bar. You can buy them in the shop onsite or in the shopping plaza for a little cheaper)

The food was fantastic! there was always a vast choice at breakfast, lunch and teatime. this meant that eating in the main restaurant didnt become repetitive and unbearable which is sometimes the case with all inclusive hotels. The A La Carte restaurants were also fantastic and are definitely worth a visit.

All in all a fantastic holiday was had by all, and i couldnt fault the hotel or the staff at all. I definitely hope to return to the Gran Ventana in the future.

Keep up the good work!!! :)

Room Tip: ask for an ocean view room 2 weeks before you are due to arrive try to get a room in the main bu...
7 Thank PandaTime
New York City, New York
Reviewed 21 April 2012

We didn't have water for the first three hours of our stay,none of the hotel staff mentioned this to us,when we asked,they stated "we have a problem in that building with the water, and it should be on with in an hour". The hotel was aware of this problem before they assigned us the room. I asked for another room, and they stated " we don't have another room at this time". No one at the front desk, could do anything to help us. there was no hotel manager to assist. When the water finally came back on,only a few drops at a time was coming out of the shower,called again, and they stated"some one will come by to take a look at it,they never showed up at all. With the WiFi, they offer it with a very high price for a short time. The room was also far from everything, had to take a Golf Cart to get around. Tennis was included, but you had to pay for the rental of the equipment. Making reservation for dinner, was not easy, had to wait in line for hours.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Steve B
UTAH
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Just returned from the VH Gran Ventana yesterday with my boyfriend (, April 13th-19th) and was amazed how much I enjoyed it! I've only been to Mexico (Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, and Playa del Carmen) so we decided to try somewhere different. We couldn't decided on Puerto Plata or Punta Cana. But glad we went to Puerto Plata. Just from talking to some of the people that have been to PC, it is very coupley, romantic, white beaches and is beautiful, but so was PP, just not as expensive and brown sand! We read all the reviews before and so kind of new what to expect. The food at the buffets was the best that I've had from any all-inclusive hotel I've been too. I looked forward to breakfast every day, fresh fruit and an egg made from the omelet station. The daily soups were typically very good, I tried them all every day. The snack bar by the ocean was okay, their burgers weren't the best, but they had also had BBQ chicken or grilled cheese sandwhiches. I usually got a bowl of chili, and chips and it was a nice snack! The hot sauce they have at the buffet was so good I kept asking where they got it. Some of the cooks couldn't understand me and told me they got it from the plaza. So i went and looked and couldn't find it anywhere.. On our last morning there I asked someone again that spoke a little better English and he said they made it in their kitchen. He went and put some in a big bottle for me, and I got to bring it home. That alone made my trip! The a la carte resturants were good also. The Ocean Grill had the best service, very on top of it. The Octopus was my favorite as far as the food, the service was a kind of slow though but I could have eaten their sea bass ceviche every day. The Italian was my least favorite and very slow as far as the food coming out, but they were always on top of the drinks and wine! Oh, and the coffee... I'm not a huge coffee drinker but i drank the coffee all day long there! it was so delicious! I drank the water everyday and was perfectly fine. They have bottled water stations everywhere.
The drinks there were good also,I tried something different every day, and I don't know how some people say they couldn't get drunk! I would have 2 or 3 drinks and would be very buzzed. if you want to get wasted than take shots!!!

The rooms- We got a room next to the entertainment, but on the back side. We had no issues with the noise. The entertainment ended around 1130 or midnight so it wasn't a big deal. Our room was cleaned everyday and had no issues with towels or stocked beers. The only thing was they gave us double beds... which actually ended up being quite nice as I am a light sleeper and move around a lot, I think my boyfriend liked having seperate beds. HA! Everything worked great the AC was awesome. We also got a LCD TV so I guess I couldn't tell which rooms were updated or not. The walls are thin but we didn't have any other people around us, we could only hear people walking by. Make sure to bring a travel iron though! We contemplated on buying a lock for the safe, but we had NO problems with anything we left in the rooms. We left our laptop,cell phones in a drawer and they were not touched. I even left money out for the maid on the dresser and she did not take it till I left it by the glasses in the tray. The grounds were beautiful, very clean. When it would rain, the maids were cleaning the halls every morning. The pool was super clean! And always found a lounge chair and umbrella to sit.

TOURS-We did the 7 waterfalls and city tour with the cable car, and had a blast. We only got to do 5 out of the 7 waterfalls as the water was really fast.. but just doing those was great for me, i had a little panic attack with just the 5 we did! We heard the 12 waterfalls is a MUST if you don't do all 27!
The City tour was a good time also, we went to the Brugal rum factory where they bottle the rum, and the take you a cigar factory, amber factory, and tour the city. The cable car which costs $10 dollars is worth it, and you get great photos! Our van broke down on the way home which was kind of exciting, but another taxi driver was there in 15 minutes and we were on our way again. We booked both tours for $90 each person from Nellis down at the beach. We didn't even try bartering, but the more you book, obviously the better deals you get!

The beach- We walked up and down the beach and ours was probably the best we saw. The ones in front of the other resorts had a lot of tree branches and seaweed, and we even saw a tractor crew going up and down one of the resorts cleaning up all the debri, which was really odd! The ocean was so different everyday. Somedays the water would be high,and other days really low. I don't get in the water anyways, but it was very pretty! A couple that went on the city tour with us stayed at the Iberostar (really nice hotel) and she even said our beach was so much better than theirs, that she would pack her beach bag, and come down to ours! We didn't get hasseled too much, just say No thanks! The only time we got asked about a timeshare was when we walked down to the other hotels to check out their beach.

As far as the weather, we are from Utah so we get 4 seasons.. ish. The weather there was PERFECT for ME.. Some people would just want SUN SUN SUN all day long. But when we first arrived it was overcast for most the day and it downpoured at about 11pm. We were so tired from traveling that we just went to sleep. When we woke up in the morning, it would be cloudy, but by noon all the clouds dissappeared and it would be hot, 10 minutes later it would be overcast, which was a nice break from the hot sun, sprinkle for a minute, sunny, cloudy.. etc.. that was basically how the weather was every day we were there!

The night entertainment was good. They try hard, and I think its the vactioners that make it worth it. If you have a fun crowd when they try to interact with you than it makes it fun. My favorite night was the magic show! I was suprised how many people hung around and watched them. I am guessing we just missed spring break, cause there were not a long of young people, but enough that we had some good conversations and met some great people. The staff are hard workers, most speak Spanish, English, French.
I've only been home for one day and I am already planning on going back!!!

4 Thank SANUTAH80
barnsley
Reviewed 20 April 2012

This is one of the best hotels ive ever been to!! Brilliant staff&so so so friendly! We travelled with a family 2 kids&adults, the animation team is so funny! Before we went we was worrying about what the hotel would be like, i actually thought it wouldnt be nice but i would return either this year or next!!! And for the beach venders, they are friendly and really chatty, if you say no then they leave you, the cleaners clean your room everyday and put clean bedding on everyday! They fill your fridge up if its empty and the hotel altogether is clean, not very up to date but when we was ready for leaving 16th november, they was updating things, pool table new tv's etc.. the rooms are brill, donkey was very funny& mickey:-) i would deffo return, i could go on and on about this hotel! Alfred at the beach restraunt is very nice:-) and funny, DONT LISTEN TO BAD REPORTS!!!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family