“holiday feb 2012,fantastic!!”

Iberostar Costa Dorada
Ranked #2 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This hotel is worth trying the food is excellent,its very clean the staff are very friendly, especially the entertainment team, maria, santa,gigi, cappucinno,steven,shakira,paul,unfortunatly no longer works theres,what a loss to the hotel, the buffet staff, especially nelson was excellent.you never had to wait ,he was so lovely, i was so sad to say goodbye to him,what more can i say,except are holiday was excellent,the only thing that i would say is the beach was fine the water had a lot of weed, Transfer time from airport was only about 20 mins,thats a plus plus,in my books.I just cannot say enough about the friendliness off all the staff including the lobby bar,Nothing was to much trouble.both myself and my partner would stay here again. One thing i would say is stay away from the casino outside.its a complete scam.

Room Tip: All rooms are nice.we had 2001,it was close to pool resturants,beach.Plus this was a ground floor.It...
4  Thank tinamariamoon
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Costa Dorada, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2012

Dear Guest Tinamariamoon,
In the name of the Iberostar Costa Dorada Hotel Manager, Ms. María Berbel, we want to thank you for choosing our hotel to spend your holiday vacations. We also thank you for taking time to write a review about your experience.
It is a pleasure to read that you have enjoyed again our services and facilities. We are also thankful for your kind words about our staff members. In Iberostar we aim to ensure a memorable holiday to our beloved guests. I will send your greeting to Nelson, your waiter, and to all Star Friends members. They will be thankful for your lovely lines.
We are already willing to welcome you back, please contact us to assist you for your next visit.
With regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (7,441)

Reviewed 20 February 2012

WE had four people on our trip and two had leg and foot troubles. Staff was very helpful and hotel was reasonably accomodating. Beware ... The buildings have three floors and no elevators. Some times the staff was a little slow getting things done but was always polite and gracious. Jihana at the front desk was super at handling any problems. The waitstaff were all great and the dining facilities and food were as well. Bring an electrical converter with you and get to the pool early. The chairs really fill up fast and nobody leaves!

Room Tip: Take the time to check out room and sorroundings before getting settled. We had two rooms and change...
2  Thank SunchasersinHeaven
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Costa Dorada, responded to this reviewResponded 29 February 2012

Dear Guests,
On the behalf of Iberostar Costa Dorada Hotel Manager, Mrs. Maria Berbel and her team, I would like to thank you for having chosen our hotel as the destination for your vacations, also for taking the time to post a review about your stay among us. We are glad to hear that you had amazing holidays in spite of your motion problems. We are committed to ensure to all our guests a memorable experience. We are glad to read your positive comments about our staff members. They will be glad to hear about them.
On the other hand, we will work in the speed while pleasing a request. I have sent your concerns to all departments to avoid this situation in the future,
We wait for your mail telling us your next visit details,
With kindest regards,

Reviewed 20 February 2012

We spent Feb.11-Feb.18 at ICD and could not have been happier. My girlfriend was a first time traveller and I wanted this to be a vacation to remember so I chose this resort based on previous reviews on Tripadvisor. Needless to say I was not disappointed!

Check-in was seamless as we were given our room keys and registration cards at the airport. Our room faced the walkway on the second floor of Building 6 (6109) so we had it switched the next morning to a pool view on the third floor of Building 1 (1219) without any problem. Just a note: for best pool views, Buildings 2,3,6,7 and 8 with numbers between in the 16-22 range. Floors are 0=ground, 1=second and 2=third so 2219 would be building 2 on the second floor, room 19.

The grounds, food and staff were beyond compare. Always someone cleaning, smiling or encouraging you to join an activity. As hard as I tried I could not find anything negative to say about this property. If we had stayed another week I'm sure the influx of extremely loud and rude students who arrived on our second last day might have clouded our judgement slightly but it would not have been a reflection of the the staff or service here.

As everyone has commented on almost every aspect of ICD I will not duplicate all the previous reviews. What I will say is that as a somewhat experienced traveller I was a little concerned about getting sick but those fears were totally unfounded. My girlfriend who is very cautious about what she eats at home tried pretty much everything without once feeling ill. The food was fantastic without fail.

We were lucky enough to have met a wonderful group of people from England who truly made for some fun times during the week. Cheers to them!! BTW, I finally did win a t-shirt!!!

So, I can say without a doubt that we would return next week if we could. By far the best resort I've stayed at!

Martin

Room Tip: Rooms with numbers between 16-22 in buildings 2,3 and 6,7,8 face the pool.
5  Thank Mdp22

Dear Guest Mdp22,
I want to thank you for taking time to write a review in Tripadvisor about your stay in Iberostar Costa Dorada Hotel. In the name of Hotel Manager, Mrs. Maria Berbel, I also thank you for choosing Iberostar to spend Valentine’s Day.
We want to express how happy we are to read that you had a memorable Valentine’s Day with us, the exquisite quality of food provided during the whole stay, and the service provided by our staff members. We are really thankful for your lovely comments towards them. In Iberostar we are committed to provide the best service and an exquisite gastronomy. We are glad to have fulfilled your expectations.
We look forward to welcome you again in the future, and feel free to contact us to help you enjoy your next stay with us.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

My wife and I revisited this hotel during the first two weeks of February and found the standards still very high. The staff nearly all remembered us from last year and were at pains to make us feel welcome. On the second day we went back to our room to find a note thanking us for choosing this hotel again along with a half bottle of rum and a basket of fruit.
The food is still excellent and the drinks at the bar first class and the entertainment staff are brilliant.
One note of crticism however. Last year the dinner wine was nice but now the stuff served up is diabolical and they try to sell you overpriced wines from a wine list, presented to you by a wierd wine waiter. The way around this is to ask for Cava, which is free and much more acceptable than the wine.
Still a very good hotel though and well worth a visit.

Room Tip: There are no lifts so avoid the top floor (room numbers starting in 2) and ask for a pool view.
7  Thank AlanEd42

Dear guest AlanEd
In the name of the Hotel Iberostar Costa Dorada Manager, Maria Berbel, I want to thank you for taking time to write a review about your stay with us. We also thank you for your loyalty towards our hotel premises and facilities.
We want to express you how glad we are to read that your second visit has been as great as usual. We are happy to know that you valued positively the hard work of our staff members, the varied gastronomy and the quality of the drinks and beverages. In Iberostar we seek to treat our guests as “stars” during vacations. We are satisfied to know that we accomplished our goal with you again.
We look forward to welcoming you for the third time; feel free to contact us to help you enjoy your next stay with us.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

Stayed there the 10th-17th with some friends and even though we ended up in the hospital had a pretty great time. Our 4yr. old got bronchitis and after 48hrs. of non-stop coughing we decided to either go home or to the hospital. Definitely get travelers insurance just in case because even though it wasn't a bad experience it cost $800. Just so you know just walking into the resort clinic costs $97. Just wanted to write a review to others to let you know not to be nervous about the hospital experience there.

FORGOT ABOUT ALL THOSE NASTY SMOKERS ALLOWED TO SMOKE EVERYWHERE! EVEN AT THE KID POOL!

The food was great as long as you ate for your environment, we are quite the food snobs so once we started enjoying the rice, beans, veggies, fresh juice, etc. it was great. I think this is also due to the fact that there are many different cultures that visit here, that's what made it so great. You got to meet people from all around the world which made it even a better vacation since now my son has a new BFF in England.

It rained for a few days and the hotel was on point with transferring snacks and activities to the main lobby. This is where you can get the only good coffee, and stoli for that matter (they only serve local liquor at the other bars), and the bartenderess is much more attentive if you're high maintenance like me if you tip a few bucks every time you go up. It's worth the extra money for the smile and faster service.

I love scuba diving but decided not to go when I heard from other divers that there were leaks in the regulators, tanks, forced trips in rough waters not turning back then most the boat vomiting, etc. I went and spoke to the dive instructor there, Nate from Texas, and he was great. I almost wanted to dive just because he was so knowledgable but then the baby got sick so I gave up.

So overall pretty good, nice beach, nice staff (except for one cranky check out lady), ok drinks, hilarious night time entertainment people, great maids!, overall liked the manager jose the most and nate at the dive shop.

Room Tip: It really matters to what you want, we stayed in building 7 right by the pool and that was great for...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank livineasystill

Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting a review about your stay in Iberostar Costa Dorada Hotel, and for having chosen us to spend your holiday vacations. In the name of Mrs. María Berbel, Hotel Manager, we are deeply sorry that you had to stay some days in the hospital. We hope that everything is now perfect.
On the other hand, we appreciate your lovely words about the nice service you received during the raining days and the number of activities we offered those days. This motivates us to keep our hard work and attaches us strongly with our commitments. I have sent your concerns regarding smoking sections and the service provided in the check out. I assure that we are already working on it.
We kindly invite you to give us a new visit; please contact us before your arrival.

Reviewed 19 February 2012

We visiited Feb 6-13, 2012.
We cannot say enough about the friendliness of the staff. Everyone we passed had a smile and an "hola" for us. We felt welcome at all times. We were greeted evey meal by the warm smile and kindness of Santos who was also an excellent waiter, anticipating our needs. The lobby bar was great, William, Julian, and Eddy are kind, fast, and friendly. Everyone works incredibly long hours and still stays friendly. We would see Staff in the buffet at 7am til 8 pm and then they would be working the bar past midnight. I am not sure I could stay friendly working that long.

I agree completely with the review by "Jeff and "Barb" so i won!t repeat them, just a few things to add.

We were in room 3101 which was a standard room and had not been remodelled. It was adequate and Milady kept it very clean, except we had a leak above the bathroom sink. We reported it to the front desk but it was never looked at or repaired. We weren't in our rooms often so we didn't worry about it.

Stay away from the casino outside of the resort. They offer you free chips to play a game that is a complete scam. The game was run by an English speaking guy who claimed to be from Canada (likely because he knew that was where our group was from). The rules seem to change and you have to keep increasing your bet, but you will not win. if you try to go and watch someone play, security sends you away so you cant warn the player that it is a scam. Don't go to the casino.

We would definitely return and recommend this resort to anyone. If a fancy room is important, ask for a remodelled juniour suite. The food was delicious and there was a variety of drinks. They do not water down the drinks. The lack of vendors on the beach was a big plus!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank Fleetor

Dear guests,
Thank you for highlighting the good work of Santos, William, Julián and Eddy in our bars and restaurants, Milady your cleaning lady. In Iberostar is one of our commitments to provide the best service to our beloved guests.
On the other hand, we apologize for the inconvenience that you might have encountered in your room. I have sent your review to our Front Desk Manager and Maintenance staff so we can find a way to avoid these situations in the future,
We kindly invite you to visit us again, we will be glad to received an email in advance with your request,
Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 18 February 2012

Travelled Feb.10-17,2012. Second visit to this Iberostar property, 4th visit overall to Iberostar Resorts.
Travelled with Sunquest Vacations/Thomas Cook airline. Big note with this tour company and airline is that all travel documents were handed out well in advance of airport arrival/departure. This was such a convenience to have the Immigration (per person), Customs (per family) forms handed out onboard the plane when you have lots of time to fill them out and transfer bus on return to the airport. Nothing is worse than having to fill out forms while waiting in lines at the airport. All departure taxes and tourist cards were prepaid by tour operator.
Arrival at ICD, quick efficient registration upon arrival. Rooms not quite ready, so we went straight to the buffet for lunch. Rooms were available shortly after and we were in the 3000 block of newly renovated rooms, pool side, ground floor. Very nice room, king bed, LCD TV, mini fridge stocked. Room safe was extra $2 US per day, but well worth it for peace of mind for travel documents and money. As returning guests we were delighted to find flowers in our room and a welcome back gift. Air conditioning and ceiling fan worked great to cool the room. No clocks at all, so bring along a watch if you need to know the time, we were on vacation time, so didn’t really care.
Throughout the property you could see the care and pride they take in their resort. We often saw gardeners trimming palm trees, cleaning the beach and keeping all the resort gardens in perfect shape. Painters were touching up spots that you would hardly notice if they hadn’t already swept in to touch them up. A repair card is found on your bedroom door, if you notice anything that needs fixing you just fill out the form and hang it on your door. All repairs are done promptly and this is what keeps the quality up at this resort. I have never seen this type of program at other resorts and I think it works very well. We had a repair man show up at our door to replace a light bulb we had only noticed that morning had burnt out, housekeeping had already noticed and reported it to be repaired before we did. All staff take pride in their jobs and tipping is a welcome way to say “thank you” for a job well done. We left a daily tip and small gift for our housekeeper and tipped bar staff and table servers as we saw fit. All were very gracious.
We enjoyed the wide variety available at the buffet every day. No food was recycled from one meal to the next, always new choices to choose from. Pasta station was a favourite. Main courses we enjoyed throughout our week long stay included lamb, roast beef, suckling pig, lobster tails, roast turkey, many seafood specialties as well. We did enjoy one night at the Brazilian specialty restaurant, but we didn’t want to miss out on the buffet which had such a wide variety on offer. That night we saw sushi, spring rolls on the menu in the main buffet.
We had 3 days of pure sunshine, followed by 3 cloudy days with rain. I was impressed by the hotel management on the rainy days. They set up refreshment tables in the main lobby, with morning pastries, followed by sandwiches, coffee/tea station for those who chose to spend the day in the lobby area reading or playing cards. The star friends also made the most of the day with special indoor activities in the theatre area. Though we did have rainy days, there were breaks in the rain, where we took advantage of a walk on the beach or sitting under a palapa. There is a book exchange at the towel hut, so even if you manage to read through all your books there is a great assortment to choose from in many languages.
Valentine’s day was wonderful. The hotel went all out to make it a very special day. The day before we received a card with all the events listed for the day and chocolates to enjoy. Morning buffet, hallway was decorated in Valentine’s decorations and everyone entering the buffet was given a red “valentine” to wear on their top. A pink and white balloon archway was erected at the entrance and inside special Valentine red cocktails were offered. There were specials for massages that day as well at the spa. At dinner time, there were fruit specialty cocktails in the main lobby as well as a selection of canapés to enjoy. Dinner was extra special with more decorations and delicious desserts to follow. After dinner the entertainment was a couples game show – very entertaining. Later on the Disco had special events as well, but that was later than we cared to participate. All in all, a very memorable Valentine’s Day 2012!
This was our second stay at this resort and it is the only time we have every returned to the same resort. The hotel had a special cocktail party on our last night for all returning guests. It was very nice to be introduced to all the management staff and visit with others from around the world who consider ICD a second home. We will be going back again... Great value for money. When we work so hard for our vacation dollar, it gave us peace of mind from the moment we booked that we would have a great vacation and we did.

Room Tip: We were in the 3000 block, pool side which was central in the property. Rooms are recently remodele...
7  Thank onajourneyToronto
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Costa Dorada, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2012

Dear Guest onejorneytoronto,
I would like to thank you for taking time to write us some comments about your experience at Iberostar Costa Dorada Hotel. In the name of the Hotel Manager, Ms. Maria Berbel, we are thankful for your loyalty towards our hotel and towards Iberostar Hotels and Resorts.
It is a satisfaction to read that our visitors enjoyed such as romantic Valentine’s Day in our hotel premises and facilities. In Iberostar we are committed to proved a memorable stay to our beloved guests. For us it is fundamental to us to ensure the best quality products and services, so our guests can enjoy exquisite gastronomy, our daily activities. We are pleased to hear that we accomplished our goal whilst you stay, as you stated in your review. We appreciate you kind words about the returning guests cocktail, I will share them to our staff members.
We are waiting for you to visit us for a third time, please contact us in advance so we can ensure you a memorable holiday.
Kind regards,