“Awsome time!!!”

Ranked #4 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Barrie, Canada
“Awsome time!!!”
Reviewed 8 March 2012

We stayed for 2 weeks, the anamation crew were the best, George, Teddy, Coke a cola, James and Commando made our stay the most enjoyable.... Met great ppl and wil be going back. The rooms were ok, but we were not in it much.The food was good, the al a cartes were good.. If yr booking any excursions go see Nelson on the beach, he wears all Canadian stuff, pens, hats. Gives u great deals. The entertainment ends to early tho. But the crew works very hard to keep you smiling... Reccommend this resort to anyone who does not want screaming children!!!!

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank Skudzgirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (801)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed 8 March 2012

First time in Dominican, liked that it was adult only.
Rooms, average, nothing fancy who cares ur in there to sleep, bathrooms nice, maid service not consistent, tipped daily however, water was not restocked daily, had to call twice. Promptly brought when asked for . Also had a problem with our air conditioner , it leaked all over floor and my suitcase , it was fixed almost immediately.
Hotel itself nice, small, grounds clean, food very good. Beach ok. Golden sand, water a little murky not turquoise, but take a trip to paradise island for breathtaking ocean and sand ! Beach vendors very annoying and persistent, but that is their job and lively hood so I understand. Yellow shirts also very sneaky, they will say what ever it takes to lure you in to hear they spiel ! Tisk,tisk !!!
Entertainment ok, many technical difficulties withnequipment! Same cheesy shows as every resort, miss blue bay ,magic show, dance, couples etc...get their early to get a seat, small stage and area! Also we were told we were getting a beach party and disco night which never occurred ! Very disappointed. Very quiet here in the evenings, if you like to party, bring friends it's deserted at night, we went to coco bongos one night and there was 6 people in the whole place :( ghost town, wrong night I guess!
Drinks were not very good, very sweet, and never the same,wine was gross, beer was good! They always were out of stuff like certain juices or lemons. Disappointed.
Pools ok, temperature good and cool especially to cool off in the heat !
Spa was lovely, book sauna, it's free !!!
We were in room 34 closest to beach path! Free wifi signal ! Bonus.
Best ala cart was jade ! Service at all ala carts was fantastic!
Bar staff were wonderful, hard workers, special shout out to Pedro,Welvin, and Juan !
Please tip the staff ! And take time to get to know them. And bring stuff for the children if you go in excursions such as candy,crayons, what ever you can. Next time I'll pack lighter and bring school supplies and necceseties for these gracious people.
Overall ok pIace I would not go back ,I like a place with more night life and a little larger, but to each their own. I also do not like to be deceived, I knew their was no disco, but settled knowing one night we would have disco and another night a beach party, neither of which took place.
Also go directly to bank in the plaza for exchange of money, we got ripped off in the plaza at the currency exchange!!! Also we used the ATM at the bank and got charged 3 times for the same transaction ! Took out 60, was charged 180, so just bring more cash ! I must y the most honest man to buy from in P.O.P was joe at the orange market ( 30 min. Walk left,down the beach ) he didn't try to rip us off, was very kind and fair, store was number 40 I think, we bought all our stuff off him ! I recommend him ! Tell him the Canadians sent you to see him !
Feel free to email me with any questions I'd be happy to answer and help if I can ! Happy travels

2 Thank miss_sunshine101
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 7 March 2012

We were at BlueBay February 20 - February 27 and found it a reasonable resort. The grounds are well maintained, the food in all the restaurants and buffet was fine but lacking in variety. The staff were friendly and helpful. However the place lacks any real character and although our room was clean it was "tired" and in need of renovation. The mattresses were overly firm and the pillows uncomfortable. There were no drawers for clothes and no chairs in the room. (We did not have the balcony we expected). Unlike some resorts we have been to, shower water pressure was always sufficient and there was a plentiful supply of hot water even at peak times. Like other reviewers we also found that hotel seemed to be short of towels on occasions. There are a few hotels in the immediate vicinity that have been closed over the past year and renovation of some holiday apartments has been suspended. So it appears that the economic downturn is having an impact on Puerto Plata. Although the Blue Bay is still managing to provide reasonable value for money, it really does need to upgrade furniture and facilities in its rooms.

Room Tip: As stated by other reviewers, block 7 or 8 are quieter
2 Thank manolincs
Brantford, Canada
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Blue Bay is one of my favorite place in POP to go. this was my 11th trip tp Puerto Plata and 4th time at blue bay. I was there in jan of 2012 and back agian this week March 2012. I was sorry tosee that some changes have been made and not all for the good,No mmore 24hr bar,shorter on staff. But In saying all of that i do have to say that th staff they do have is amazing. The CREW is awsome, Mayo <3 , George <3 , Comanndo <3 ,Yagi you rock girfriend <3 , you guys make it the best everyday. I know many love Coca cola but a little creppy to me (sorry but the sad stories need to stop) . Keep up the great work I will see you All agian soon I hope. xo

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 5 March 2012

I travelled to BlueBay Villas Doradas from February 23rd - March 4th 2012 with my boyfriend and 3 other singles (2 guys, 1 girl). The 3 boys had been there before 3 years ago and really enjoyed it.

This was my first time at a 3.5 star resort having only travelled to 4+ resorts in the past (including Riu Ocho Rios, Sandals Negril, Royal Suites Turquesa by Palladiam Punta Cana, Excellence Mayan Riviera, Paradisus Varadero, Aventura Spa Palace). I will admit, going into it I was not looking to compare to any of these resorts and, well, it didn't. But, for the price we paid, for an all-inclusive, adults only resort it was worth what we paid in my opinion.

We booked the hotel and flights separately. Everything was smooth, including our arrival where we were immediately met with a cold wash cloth, request for a cocktail and our packages. Francisco recognized the guys from their last trip 3 years ago and upgraded our bracelets. We received our second cocktail and were whisked off to our rooms where our lugge awaited.

The rooms are very basic. I would have liked a dresser, or any drawers, but we only had a few shelves in the closet. The bed was your standard king size Carribean resort bed and was firm. Pillows were slightly lumpy, but again this is pretty standard in my travels. It was very clean though and everything functioned, with the exception of a slow toilet leak. We did have to pay for our safe ($30 for the week) when I believe this should be standard. We had only booked the most basic standard room and knew the fridge was only stocked with a couple beer and soft drinks at the beginning but did expect them to continue stocking the water as the tap water is not potable. They did stock it on their own a few days, but others we had to call for it but it was brought quite promptly. We were in room 2202 which was just beside the stage area. We didn't find it noisy as the entertainment stops around 11 or so, but we were only in the room for that time maybe 3 nights. We didn't have a balcony which I would have liked but we weren't guaranteed one either.

The resort does seem to lack in towels as we had only 2 towels and hand towel. Sometimes they would come in the morning to take the dirty ones and not bring any back until the afternoon. We always had towels when we needed them though (either first thing in the morning or before dinner). Sometimes they replaced the beach towels in the evenin also. The towel hut was sporadic in their offering of clean towels.

The resort is clean, no nasty bugs spotted and the grounds are very well kept. The pool with the bar could have used a skimming in the mid-afternoon as it became littered by that time. The pool chairs are weathered, some broken and they could use more palapas/umbrellas as there is not a lot of shade to be had (some of my friends were quite fair skinned). Same for the beach. As with all resorts I have been on you had to get up early (before 7 am if you wanted shade, 8 am otherwise) if you wanted a chair.

The beach was beautiful, clean and soft. When we arrived it had been rainy for a couple weeks so the water was a little murky but it cleaned up as the week went on. The staff are quick to help pull a chair out for you. They could use more palapas for shade. Yes, there are beach vendors as it's a public beach but they were not at all pushy and some quite friendly. A quick 'non gracias' and they will leave you on your own. Most would recognize you had already turned them down and not ask again.

Having read other reviews I was on the look out for the "yellow shirts" - the "Vacation Package" people. Well, the shirts aren't yellow, and my boyfriend not having experienced timeshare pushes before got roped in. We listened to their pitch for about 40 mins until we got super annoyed at them not telling us how much it was so we got our promised gifts and left. They did not bother us again.

I was a bit disappointed in the food. I had heard good things on the reviews and admittedly I love good food but it wasn't quite as good as I had anticipated. The day time beach grill was white rice, dry rubbery pizza, hot dogs, hamburgers and maybe another meat dish. They did have some tasty fried chicken on some days (but it was sometimes dry and tasteless too). Breakfast at the buffet was the same thing every morning, egg/omelette station, hashbrowns, potatoes, pancakes, french toast. The only thing that switched up was the sausage (or meat) and bacon selection. There was only one toaster that worked. The made to order smoothes were tasty but sometimes slow. Lunch was much of the same as the beach grill plus a few other cooked options, including fish, salad bar and cook to order pasta station. Beverage service was better at breakfast than lunch. Dinner had different themes some nights. The mexican night was quite tasty with a chef station for fajitas, tacos, etc.. There was always a pasta station, carving station and something on the grill. The other options were the same sides (salads, soups, potatoes and same veggies) day in and day out. It was hit or miss whether you would get cloth napkins or not.

The seafood and asian restaurants were by far the best. There was enough selection on the menu for everyone, all dishes were delicious, they didn't skimp on the food and the service was the best on the resort. The steak place was just OK. We had ordered different steaks and all received what seemed to be the same thin, small cut of beef and same sides.

Bar service was spotty. They didn't seem to be stocked of many things regularly and during the day you had either had to go to the beach bar or the pool bar. Apparently they had recently closed the pool side bar and it didn't open until 6:00 when the pool bar closed. The beach bar was supposed to be 24 hour service but there was a sign that they recently stopped serving at 1:00. That was definiitely not what we signed up for... If you caught a good staff member they might sneak you something but it definitely wasn't as advertised.

The entertainment staff is definitely as advertised. They are phenomenal, up beat and constantly encouraging you to get in on the action especially if they recognize you are the type. There are organized activities throughout the day. The shows, either performed, or interactive were always entertaining (you aren't on Broadway so don't expect it). They work hard at what they do and it shows.

We had heard from other repeat guests (vacation club or otherwise) that the hotel has recently been in decline (bar hours, towels, cloth napkins, food selection) and someone mentioned perhaps they were under a new manager. We met new close friends who didn't receive the massages in the upgrade they had paid for. The line from guest services was that the misrepresentation came from the travel agent and not their website or publications (not true).

If you are looking to go to town, walk just outside the resort to the plaza and hire your own cab and tour guide separately. You can work the price there (you can't at the hotel) and get the tour you want instead of something pre-packaged. Avoid the casino unless you are spending only the free gift certificate they hand out at the resort. The supermarket in town, or the airport (and NOT the plaza or the Orange Market) had the best liquor and cigar prices.

Overall, for the price we paid for 10 days I beleive it was full value, but the lack of delivery on promises does leave a bad taste. Will I go back? I say no, only because there are too many places I have yet to go!

Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions about this review, or wish additional information.

Room Tip: 2000 and 3000 are closest to the entertainment and louder pools. 8000 block is definitely the quiet...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank boss_lemaire
Colchester
Reviewed 3 March 2012

We recently returned from a holiday in bluebay villas and would not recommend it.
When we arrived we was offered a room in block 3 (it seems they always offer these to British people), having read previous reviews I declined this room and asked for block 7 or 8 (away from the noise), after only about 15 mins we was allocated a new room in block 7 which was good. Having got into our room we found out that very few room have drawers and only a few shelves in the wardrobe which made putting the clothes ans sundry items away very difficult but we managed (by using the suitcases).
The food in the reasturant was quite good but a little repetative.
the fridge in the room was stocked with 2 beers, 2 cokes & 2 sprites however when these were used if you wanted more you had to pay $10.
Towels for the beach were meant to be available from 9 - 4 however if you tried to get new towels after 2pm they had always run out.
Whilst we were there the new Manager (he's been there about 3 months) decided to make some cut backs. First the bar in the pool area was closed until 6pm meaning that if you wanted a drink you had to go to the swim-up bar (this was accessable around the back but service was poor if you wasn't in the pool. Then he decided to make the Chill out bar (by the quite pool) into a soft drink only serve yourself bar. Finally he decided to shut the 24 hr bar at 1am.
In addition to reducing the bar service they was always running out of stock, at least 5 times they had no beer then it was no Sprite and finally they were running out of liquer's.
The breakfast normally run out of fresh orange juice and there were several days when they run out of bacon and bannan's, these were only items I noticed there were probablly more.
Finally if you want a sun bed with shade you need to be on the beach by about 7am.

Room Tip: block 7 or 8
5 Thank alinco1
illinois
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Just returned from a week at bluebay villas doradas 2/19/12-2/26/12. My experience was soured by finding out I was scammed before I ever left home. I paid extra to book a superior deluxe room, but got only a standard room.

Except for a extremely limited number of rooms, which I was told were unavailable for any portion of my stay, yet were advertised as available throughout my stay for those individuals "interested in living the bluebay experience" (read that as interested in purchasing a timeshare), everyone gets a very basic standard room at Bluebay. Some folks just get to pay more for their standard room. Unfortunately I found several others who had fallen prey to this deceptive room rate category scam, either by booking a superior deluxe or paying the still higher emerald suite upgrade rate for a standard room. They provided no information about this being a package not a room category, as implied, at the time of booking on the Orbitz site, making this a clear case of bait and switch. To make matters even worse, they don't even provide the meaningless package inclusions such as the welcome letter, fruit plate upon arrival, restocking your mini bar,etc. We couldn't even get them to restock the potable drinking water for our room, for the last 3 days of our stay, no matter how many times we requested it! Prior to that we had only gotten more water after requesting it and then waiting hours for its delivery. We finally gave up and took our empty bottle down to the self service bar and refilled it from the communal supply ourselves.

I wasted 2 hours on the phone with Orbitz, who were in turn calling Bluebay Villas, before ever leaving home, trying unsuccessfully to either obtain an upgrade to a superior room or get a refund of the difference over the standard room rate. Upon arrival the front desk simply ignored the room category issue and refused to discuss my requests for either an upgrade to a better room or a refund of the excess charges over the standard rate. They also ignored my request to speak with the manager Oscar Martinez, as I had been instructed to do by Orbitz. Upon return Orbitz again tried to get the hotel to issue a refund unsuccessfully. They got stonewalled just as I did, although the hotel admitted to them I only got a standard room for my extra money.

Don't get an unpleasant surprise and find out you just overpayed for your standard, extremely basic room. Book a standard room or better yet stay at one of the other hopefully more honest Puerto Plata hotels. Shame on you Bluebay Villas Doradas for ripping off your guests.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo