“Awesome” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Welland, Ontario, Canada
“Awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

Beautiful place, Fantastic food, Awesome entertainment especially with James Bond. He is awesome a real clown made the trip worthwhile also CokaCola. Those two were just great. It was worth going two yrs. in a row.

Room Tip: Rooms by the quiet pool are peaceful.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Diane L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (765)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

I have never written one of these reviews before, but I feel compelled to stick up for this lovely hotel and the people who work so hard there to make everyone happy.
We stayed 23 March - 6th April 2012 and before we went we read all the reviews and were a bit freaked out by all the bad reviews. By honestly I just don't know what planet these people are on and the petty gripes they moan about.
Firstly - the caribbean is the caribbean. Things are different! If you want a truly 4 or 5 star, go to The Bellagio in Vegas or The Savoy in London.
Value for money-wise you just can not fault it! I've paid way WAY more for just 1 week in both St Lucia and Barbados than I have just paied for 2 weeks at Bluebay. And do you know what? The hotels in St Lucia and Barbados weren't a PATCH on Bluebay - plus the food wasn't anywhere NEAR as nice!
The hotel grounds are immaculate and very beautiful with lovely vegetation everywhere. There is a natural salt water marsh you have to walk over to get to the beach. Plus the resort of Playa Dorada is also beautiful and set around a really picturesque golf course.
The bedrooms are a bit basic - but the water was always hot, if you had a problem someone would be out to fix it right away. Yes the beds are really hard and the pillows a bit lumpy - but wow, if you let that ruin your holiday, you need to have a word with yourself.....
We did have to change rooms - we were put in block 2 which was right by the stage which is MASSIVE and very noisy, but no problems as the next day we were moved to a lovely quiet room.
The chillout pool is just lovely - with japanese zen type music really setting a lovely ambience. The main pools are much livelier with more going on - it's up to you what you choose.
The animation team work tirelessly from dawn til dusk to keep people amused- and it really is up to you whether you take advantage or not - they're not pushy and you can keep yourselves to yourselves. The shows are a bit cheesy - but hello, they are hardly going to be broadway quality!
The restaurants are great - we tended to stick to the buffet - the food is amazing! So much to choose from and we stayed there for 2 weeks and didn;t find it repetitive at all. Thursday night is Mexican night - and the food was wonderful! People who say they got ill, well I think that must be due to the fact they have stuffed themselves silly with all the lovely food. Newsflash - you're going to get ill if you eat 4 times more than you do at home!
The Grill and Fish restaurants are right down by the sea and a lovely setting. The food is OK-it you are expecting haute cuisine, you'll be disappointed. The Jade garden is beautiful - a really funky looking restaurant. They try so hard with the food. It's not really UK-style chinese, but nice none the less.
We found that all the people who served us were really lovely and tried so hard to please. These guys work so hard, they really do. I think people who review them badly just must have been really miserable and rude to them. Plus they love it if you speak a bit of spanish to them!
Re the drinks and wine. Everything is pretty sweet. A tip is to ask for the cocktails without the grenadine. But there is still gin and tonics, rum & diet coke etc. It is true that you do have to drink a lot to get squiffy, but I think that is a good thing as there are people who just drink all day long and otherwise the place would be full of people off their face! We were desperate for decent wine, so went and bought some from the plaza a few times. It's about $15 a bottle.
We hired a car for a week (warning - driving is pretty crazy out there - but it seems to work for them) and got out and about seeing some wonderful scenery and getting a real feel for the place. We heard some people saying it wasn;t safe outside the resort. Well nonsense we felt safe! As long as you are careful - it's fine. There are a lot of places in the UK I wouldn;t venture in the dark.
We LOVED the trips- make sure you get them from James at The Plaza - who is fantastic and gives very honest advice!
Jeep Safari and waterfalls - BRILLIANTTTT!
White water rafting - SO MUCH FUNNNNNN!
Catamaran- it is beautiful cat, but it was very rough the day we went which was a shame (seasick...)
Diving - we did dives with Diwa Dominicana and completed our PADI with Northern Coast diving in Sosua - both of whom we'd recommend!
We had no problem with people being pushy and trying to sell you stuff. A polite no gracias is enough and they leave you alone. I've been to Jamaica where you get properly aggresively hounded and chased! Plus the things I had read about the "yellow shirts" timeshare people, we saw them but not once in the 2 weeks were we approached by them!
Biggest prob I had was the damn mosquitos and sand flies. I was bitten to death, but the boyfr wasn't touched (typical!)
For the money we paid, we were delighted with the hotel and had a wonderful time.
Don't let all the moaning minnies put you off!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank blondebusylizzie
Brooklyn
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

Just returned from a trip to this resort and our group of 4 loved it! It was more authentic aesthetically than most beach resorts, with a lovely little bridge through a lush pond to access the beach. The staff was super friendly and we were surprised that the food and drinks were quite good despite being an all-inclusive. We'd definitely consider going back. agreed that the rooms were basic, but we spent so little time in the room it was irrelevant. The only bad thing was the evening entertainment was pretty corny, but we were either out or too tired for it after a day in the sun, so this was a minor negative point.

Room Tip: Agreed with earlier tips to ask for a room away from the main pool so that you don't hear the mu...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank DandD81
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at Blue Bay from March 31st to april 7th. I had very high expectations from reading people's reviews on here, seeing as it was ranked number 5 in Puerto Plata resorts. My expectations were not fully met but overall I did have a good time. I'm going to break my review down in to sections to make it easier to read.

Location/hotel
The quick trip from the airport is ideal. The last thing you want to do after a long flight is get onto a cramped bus and travel for a long time. It was a pretty quick 20 minute ride. Esthetically the hotel itself is beautiful. High cielings, breezy white linens, tourquoise accents, beautiful large hanging lights along with incredibly lush plantlife complete with open concept walls for the lobby and buffet really make you feel like you've just arrived in paradise.

Room
Our room was located by the quite pool in the 7000's. We were 7116 right around the corner from the place where you exchange towels by the path to the beach. We emailed in advance to ask for a room with a king size bed, on the ground floor, by the quiet pool and we got exactly what we wanted. The room itself is basic but nice. But seeing as you spend very little time in your room, all I really care about is: is the room clean, is the bed comfy. And the answer to both those questions was yes! People have complained the bed was too stiff and the pillows too floppy and lumpy, but I slept like a baby! I guess if you like mattresses that sink and sag you won't be happy, but I was more than comfortable. We tipped our maid everyday, and she treated us well. I went to the dollarstore before I left and bought some lotions and nailpolish so that I had enough for each day. We always had fresh towels, and full water, and she even brought us more beer when we drank them. She also made us little swans and left us flowers.

I really enjoyed the buffet. There were always tons of different options and I got to try some new thinks I'd never had before like the various plantane dishes they had, which are awesome! So delish! Try them. The fruit there is delicious, very fresh and I believe all organic. The bananas are the best I have ever had. The skins look bruised but the insides are pristine. Also one night the had a full cooked turkey and me and my boyfriend loved it! Most tender turkey we've ever had.

The alacartes were kind of a meh. They were nice because I enjoy getting dressed up, and its a nice change of scenery. You get to be somewhere quieter with less people so its much more intimate. However the food isn't that much better than the buffet. Of the 3 I'd say El pascador (the seafood) was our least favourite. We ordered the mahi mahi which was fine, the sauce was really good, but we decided we didn't really like that type of fish. But hey if you like mahi mahi you might love it! We also paid extra (32$ american) for the Lobster which was huge!! Two full large lobsters! It was really good, not as good as expected(its different lobster than the kind we're used to in Canada) but still quite enjoyable. A lot of people complained about the beef alacarte (the El dorado) but I really liked it. Out in the open air, and not the best steak we've ever had, but I've also had a lot worse here in Canada. The asian restaurant was probably our favourite, best decor and yummy food. We were really dissapointed not see any sushi on the menu!! But they did bring us two sushi tasters before our appertizers. We shared the thai salad (very good) and the spring rolls, and then I had chicken and pork satay in peanut sauce with veggie fried rice and my boyfriend had beef stirfry in black bean sauce-both were very good.

Entertainment
We only went to two shows both were silly competitions that had everyone laughing hysterically. The 2nd one we were both a part of and even though we didn't win we got a bottle of rum.

Beach
The walk down to the beach is lovely. Pretty bridge with white curtains at the beginning and end. There are always adorable little brown or green lizards around. The first part is over a bog that sort of smells, but hey, its nature guys! Didn't bother me. You walk a few more steps and there's a big pond an it no longer smells. The staff on the beach were always very helpful with getting you chairs. We never had a problem. You can't always get the exact spot you want, like shade under the grass canopy, but you will always get chairs, and they will take them wherever you want. They also have a server walking around who will bring drinks. The beach sellers can get a little annoying but a simple smile and no will suffice. We bought some stuff though, and wished we'd bargained more. The water itself is murky but very warm. If you walk down the beach to the left it gets clearer but the beach gets a bit dirtier. They did a good job of maintining the beach infront of the resort.

Drinks
The drinks were a BIG dissapointment. Some tasted great but it was clear that even though it looked like they put in lots of alcohol, they really didn't. The alcohol had to be watered down, cause even in a vodka cran you don't taste it at all. Stick to wine and beer there if you want to get drunk. The wine isn't great, but I still drank it, and the beer Presidente was quite good.

Excursions
We did two excursions: 27 waterfalls and paradise Island. We were originally going to book through the hotel rep but then we found Nelson (who we'd heard great things about on here) and he gave us lower rates so we booked with him. If you're going to do excursions go through Nelson! He's a great guy, and good deals!
The waterfall excursion was incredible! Best thing we've ever done!! First you get a tour of the land, and then this place where they make coffee and chocolate and cigars. We got to try the coffee and chocolate and hot chocolate! Mmmm! Then We did the first 7 waterfalls and it was incredible! A must do!
Paradise Island was beautiful but if you've gone snorkeling before, I'd say stay away. But since it was our first snorkeling experience it was pretty darn cool! One of the guide took our camera for us and got us some really great photos. The water was so incredibly clear there! Gorgeous! But its a long day and the drive back was dismal. Very long! And we were all hot, tired, dirty, covered in sand and salt. So it sort of put a damper on things. But I don't regret it.
We also did the perto plata city tour with a taxi and this guy Miguel who lurks by the front of the hotel. DO NOT DO THIS! It was a waste! He just took us to his friends shops in hopes we'd buy stuff! We felt pressured and uncomfortable the whole time. The only cool part was the fort which was neat to see but still, could've gone with out. If you do want to see the fort just take a taxi straight there and no where else.

Pools
Very warm and clean. You don't get bugged by sellers there. And the hotel is kept very clean except when it came to cleaning up spills or empty cuPs around the pool. Not a huge complaint but still.

Overall it was a great resort for our first time and I really enjoyed it and definitely don't regret going! But for our next vacation we will definitely be trying somewhere else. New country, new resort!

One complaint: we asked severall times at reception if they could make change for us and it was a big hassle.

• Stayed April 2012
5 Thank JussWay
Brooklyn, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

Let's start off by noting this was a reasonable price for an Adults-Only All Inclusive Resort, however I would not return nor recommend to any friend or family. When we arrived at the resort there was no running water in any of the bathrooms or rooms for the first 2 hours of our stay. Restrooms were overflowing, sinks were not running, and there was no ice for the drinks at the pool. The rooms are OK for what you're paying and are kept clean and the staff is very friendly. The entertainment is cheesy, but if you like that sort of thing you have the option to participate in pool aerobics, darts, ping pong, and a few other things. The pool was the best part about this trip, oh and of course the company of whom you're traveling with. The beach was a walking flea market. People tried to sell us anything and everything from wind chimes to jewelry to wall paintings that were too large to even fit on the plane. Beach water was just average- nothing what you'd except to see in the Caribbean. I expected cyrstal clear blue waters, but that isn't going to make or break a vacation especially since the pools were so relaxing. What is going to make or break a vacation is the FOOD...common- no one wants to get sick or feel naseous day after day on vacation. This resort had the most disgusting food I have ever been served in my entire life. The buffet was wanna-a-be American food made from off-brand foods or what the Domincans THOUGHT to be American food. The al a carte restaurant (which you are not even allowed to eat at every night during your stay), was not good either. The "meat" restaurant offered tough, chewy, unknown meat. The U.S. imported steaks were served for an extra additional charge, which doesn't seem very inclusive to me. The fish restuarant was the better of the two, but always had some unknown sea food mixed in. By the 4th and last day/night of our stay we were munching on Doritos throughout the day and ordering Pizza Hut for dinner. Out of the three the "fish" restaurant was the only OK option, but not even average. Oh and lets not forget about the black out during out last night there, which deleted everyone's wake up calls for the morning - hope no one missed their flights home!!!

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room make sure you are no where near the the pool area. We didnt mind the late...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
BlueBayBelleVue, Director de Relaciones Públicas at BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Dear Jill4115,

We feel we provide good value and quality, but it seems you didn't like the taste of the food. We feel sorry you didn't enjoy our kitchen which we try to make variable and suitable to all tastes. We appreciate your feedback.

Thank you.
BlueBay Villas Doradas team
West Orange, NJ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

Customer service is horrible... the rooms are old and out of date. We had an iron that was broken. The electricity went out during the day and we couldn't check out for a few hours later. The resort was small (depending on your interest, you may like that)... the show was horrible. The one plus was the food and the location....it was actually o.k. Otherwise, go to Barcelo. The only people who would like this resort are old & overweight white women...(not to be discriminatory, but the guys that work there were very flirtatious with the white women... of course this is what they're paid to do, go to any resort and you will notice this. Plus, the women tip well)Otherwise, anyone else will hate it.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
BlueBayBelleVue, Director de Relaciones Públicas at BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Dear Jean,

I appreciate your good comments about our food, we feel we provide good value to our guests. I have reviewed your comments with the staff and we regret you didn't enjoy your stay.
Thank you.
Villas Doradas team
Ajax, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

How to begin..?
There were several people that roamed the property trying to get you to attend an "Info. Session" so that you could be talked into buying a time share option - as these people were paid on a commission basis they were quite pushy about it and in the end we started pretending that we had already been just so we could get away from them reasonably quickly.
We ordered breakfast from room service one day, coffee, juice, scrambled egges, omelette, toast, bacon & sausage - only four of the items were delivered.
When eating in the buffet restaurant we frequently had almost finished our meal before we got water and got the chance to order wine. The food was mostly pretty good at the buffet - though I avoided the fish and seafood dishes after a couple of attempts because they liked to cook them with really strong sauces and I didn't enjoy that at all.
The service was apalling in the two speciality restaurants by the beach --- I've never known a head waiter to bend over so that he could shout the dessert options into my face! The food wasn't very good - we only ate there once each though we could have gone twice.
The service was fabulous at the Chinese Restaurant - too good - we barely managed to finish a course and the next one was being put in front of us! At least the food was good there - though the fried rice had far too much ginger in it for our taste and we really wished that they had a steamed rice option. We did go back a second time - and we simply pretended we hadn't decided what we wanted for our main course until we had finished our starters.
Our room was shabby and when we arrived the bedding didn't even look clean - especially the top covers (one of which had a large tear in it) so we asked that they be washed/replaced.
We had a shortage of drawer space for our clothes - one tiny chest of drawers for us both to share - not enough when you are there for two weeks.
Part of the package that we had purchased included a stocked mini-bar --- we had to call almost every day because they hadn't refilled it.
At the end of the first week, I really would rather had gone home - I have NEVER felt that way before.
Finally, I should explain the title of this review: both the pools in the hotel are shallow, the water is only waist high. Partly because of this I guess, every day there would be a huge scummy mess at one end of the pool with the bar in it which I assume was caused by the guests suntan lotion. The attitude of the hotel was to shug at this - I had to complain several times to get them to send someone to skim the pool. Quite frankly - it looked gross and a few guests stopped using that pool when they saw it. The other pool was less used and therefore cleaner so they stayed there.
I am sure that you are not surprised to know that we will never go back to this Hotel - and we strongly recomend that you don't go there either!

Room Tip: I didn't see a good one.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AJM1960
Dear AJM1960,

I have reviewed your feedback with the staff and we sincerely regret you did not enjoy your holidays. We feel we provide good value to our guests, and regret that we failed to meet expectations on your stay.
BlueBay Villas Doradas team