“"Can you handle the TRUTH"”

BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed 4 March 2013

I have travelled to Mexico twice, Jamaica 5 times and Punta Cana once. I stayed at 5 different Sandals Resorts, Moon Palace, Sun Palace, Occidental Grand and Bavaro Princess.

Dominican Republic Arrival

Dont get it twisted. I'm not a whiner or a complainer; I just need to tell the truth. If you can’t handle it just skip my review.

You have to pay $10 per person to get into the country. Workers will try to grab your bags to take them to the shuttle/taxi etc. Don't let anyone carry your bags unless you are ready to start handing out tips left and right. We called them the “bag snatchers”. They take your bags before you even get out of the taxi/shuttle. They roll them 2 feet then they say “tip for me"?

We paid extra for a private car for four people and they put us on shuttle bus, the driver asked for a tip too. Are you kidding we paid extra for a private car didn't get it and now the driver wants a tip too WTH*

20 minute ride to the resort

At the resort you get greeted with a cold washcloth and a small glass of ice tea. Make sure you ask for two room keys. Sometimes the keys lose the swipe code. It's irritating to keep running back to the front. Just get 2 and carry both. Also your room key sides into the card system inside the room for electricity and for your air conditioner to operate. Bring your own washcloths-they don’t have any. The towels are rough-like they really hurt.

There is Blue Bay staff walking around trying to “Invite you to a VIP Presentation”
It’s the resort timeshare/point system sale BEWare!

If you don’t mind noise from the stage events-partying- everyday pool ruckus then pick building 1, 2, 3, or 5. Building 1 &2 are on the side and back of the stage. Building 3 & 5 are right in front of the pool. Buildings 4 & 6 are little bit further back but still in eye-shot of the pool. Building 7 and 8 are toward the spa and the back of the resort. The back balconies of 7and 8 face the small pool. Please be mindful this is a small resort. Only 3 pools- one swim up bar, one for lounging and volleyball and the other is the size of one you'd see in a backyard. The swim up bar pool has about 50 lounge chairs 1 cabana, the volleyball pool has about 20 lounge chairs and 2 cabanas and the spa pool has about 12 lounge chairs and some table and chair sets.

The resort was clean, the grounds were well kept and the pools were clean as well.
A lot of staff was pleasant but the desk staff lacked customer service skills.

Tip- the king size beds are horrible. I know it sucks to think of getting two double beds in your room but it’s worth it the king size bed fills like your laying on wood- no kidding!!!!! Like a bed from the Flintstones cartoon! The double beds are softer-decent! We stayed in room 3208 with 2 double beds and a balcony- secret you get free wireless from the balcony in that room (Hotel casa colonial connection). The VIP Villas are very nice.

Room 3208 Beds were ok, Water pressure was good in the shower, the air conditioner worked and free Wi-Fi.

Food-ugh!! I quickly had lowered my standards of good. Good meant edible! Food was recycled throughout the day. Leftover breakfast became lunch with a sauce on it and lunch became dinner with vegetables mixed in or something.

For Breakfast the banana bread and omelets were good. You can count on Potatoes for every meal. Service is slow. This is the time to tip- they will always make sure you are taking care of- it matters believe me. After asking 4 times and waiting 15 minutes for a Pepsi we quickly found out!

WARNING. Pay in pesos or cash don’t use your credit card or go to the ATM machine. I paid for excursions and other purchases with my card. I signed for them to charge $540 for the excursions; I got back home it was $562.50. This happened on 3 other transitions as well

The alcohol is not top shelf. Wine and beer was nasty. Bring your own liquor. The seafood and the steakhouse restaurants are good. Steakhouse (French onion soup, beef fillet- medium well, and the warm amaretto were my favorites there). Fish and seafood (the appetizer was good it had calamari, fish, hushpuppies, mussels and shrimp. I had the chicken and my husband had the mahi- mahi).

EXCURSIONS- Excursions are cheaper at the plaza and the beach. The plaza is within 3 minutes walking distance within the gates - its safe! Beware the locals hound you BAD! Just say NO and mean it. Just keep walking it will be ok! Stuff at the plaza is old, some outdated and dusty. The exchange rate as of Feb.25th 2013 was $1 converts to 39 pesos. 995 in pesos=$25.50 American dollars.

The extreme package included 3 adventures $150us pp. 8/9 hrs: waterfalls were scary to me and it was about 20-30 minutes of hiking to get to the falls too...ugh, horseback riding was ok- I was expecting healthy horses and riding somewhere, not just up and down a hill. The zip lining was a lot fun. Paradise Island was $120 pp. 12 hrs. Everything was good with this trip except getting in and out of the small motor boat. The lunch with the excursion was good. Paradise Island was very pretty with good snorkeling. My husband saw a big barracuda. Bring a waterproof bag- everything gets wet.

BEACH-Windy after noon, the sand is like brown gravel with murky water near shore. But it gets beautiful the further out you look. Lots of beach chairs available. Vendors everywhere trying to sell their “Stuff”...….I got so tired of hearing “hey my brotha from another motha” “hey my sista from another mista”

Shout out to Jamaica, Lorale, Rogue, Wendy and Anyelo.
Drinks-Lorale and Rogue
Buffet Service-Wendy and Anyelo
SPA- Maritza did a fantastic job with my hot rocks massage $80us.
Photos- Jamaica takes great pictures and he's personable.

I won’t go back to Puerto Plato, but I’d consider Punta Cana again!
I rate them OK because I enjoyed the 7 days of 90+ beautiful sun-shine weather with my husband!

Room Tip: Room 3208 beds were ok, water pressure was good in the sink & shower, the air conditioner worked...
11  Thank kay-kay72

Reviewed 2 March 2013

I will preface this review by saying I've stayed at a Sandals (one of the best) so it's hard not to compare. I will say Blue Bay is OKAY.

Get into buildings 4 - 8. When we arrived and heard we were in building 3, we told them we didn't want to be in a noisy building (we had read reviews), they assured us we weren't. WRONG. Buildings 1, 2 and 3 are near the stage and unless you want to be at a show/party every night you will be listening to it from your bed.

Speaking of the bed, the king size beds feel like bricks! I woke up sore the first morning. Make sure you're in a room with double beds because they are soft. When I asked about getting a new mattress since there were no more balcony rooms with double beds (I was tempted to personally move one of my friend's bed to my room), they said they would get one but really they just had the maids add a blanket between the mattress and sheet. It made it tolerable but not comfortable.

And you may have trouble getting into that room, because the keys sometimes don't work. My husband went back four times for keys before we had one that we didn't have to mess with for five minutes. But the room and bathroom are a comfortable size. There are no wash cloths so bring your own and bring your own towels too because theirs are rough. Oh and you have to put your key in a slot to work your lights and air conditioner which we didn't know because we carried our own bags to our room instead of waiting for the ONE person to come back and take us after other couples.

I personaly liked the size of the resort (small and intimate) but if you're used to larger resorts, it will feel too small for you. It has three pools, two that are used most and a small one near the spa. It is an adult only resort which I love. There's a lot of older couples. There are people from all over the world, which is nice if you like meeting people.

I wasn't crazy about the food in the buffet but it's a matter of taste. You will find SOMETHING to eat at every meal. They seem to recycle the food from morning to evening or day to day (potatoes become a potatoe casserole). Breakfast time - the fresh made omelets are great, as well as the chococlate crousisonts, banana bread, and pineapples. The snack bar isn't great. The two restaurants we visited however were very good, especially the steak house. I'm not a drinker but the rest of my group weren't crazy about it, especially the beer and wine. But they do have pina colada and baha mama always ready to go.

The beach is very windy and the sand is spiky (if that's the word) but it's not overcrowded. The water is nice.

Some of the staff are great, others are less responsive. There were times that I ordered a drink and by the time I got it, I was done with my food. But the majority of them were very nice. The entertainers "Blue Crew" are great and they work hard. When I went to the spa to make an appointment, noone was to be found even though it was open. But when my friend did get her massage appointment, she said it was great.

Get a photo shoot with Jamaica. It's worth it. He's funny and the pictures were great.

You will be approached repeatedly by the VIP staff trying to get you to sign up. We just told them no.

Excursions - we got ours from the hotel but we heard you can get them from the Plaza within walking distance for cheaper. If you get the Extreme package; the horseback riding is fun, the zip line is fun, the waterfall I didn't like at all. I wouldn't have gone had it been explained better. If you go, be ready for a 35 minute uphill hike and then we were told we could stay and play in the water if we didn't want to slide/jump - WRONG. You have to either slide into small water holes or jump into them repeatedly and the rest of the hike through the water is over uncomfortable rocks. It's not the pretty view you expect. We also went to Paradise Island on the yacht (which was really an overcrowded big boat). We were not told that you have to take a speedboat to get on and off the yacht everywhere you stop. Don't go if that's not your thing. The island is nice enough with pretty water and snorkeling.

Room Tip: Buildings 1-3 are close to stage and very noisy until the shows end. Get a room with double beds bec...
3  Thank Novelette W
Reviewed 2 March 2013

Allow me to start by saying we have traveled and stayed in the DR 5 times over the course of the past 10 years and do not expect a holiday at the Four Seasons. Nothing can take away from the sheer beauty of Puerto Plata BUT this resort is so deficient in so many ways we feel compelled to review it POORLY.

Room 6101 our accommodations AVOID-no security safe, broken coffee maker, no TV remote, broken clock radio; drawers broken, bathroom mirror hung by a thread; hair dryer caught on fire, telephone was not wired to an outlet. Each one of these issues was brought to the attention of the front desk repeatedly-the only issue addressed was a telephone line was installed and we did receive a TV remote after 3 days. The indifference and scorn from the front desk was palatable. I am used to and expect "Caribbean time" but 2-3 visits over the same issue will try anyone's patience. For instance on the 2nd day, the hair dryer in our room literally caught on fire and I had to rip the plug out of the outlet. I informed the front desk within moments telling them the smell of smoke was very strong and there was a safety issue, they wrote it in the book and I was assured it would be addressed. Later in the day upon return to our room, the hair dryer appeared to have been fixed and was plugged back into the outlet, I attempted to turn the same on-no response- result nothing was fixed the IDENTICAL flame stained hair dryer was plugged back into the outlet. I immediately ran to the front desk with my travel liaison in tow, the same gentleman to whom I made the initial report responded that he remembered me from YESTERDAY but that I had only told him "it smelled like smoke". I explicitly then told him there was a safety concern as the hair dryer had CAUGHT ON FIRE- that appeared to invoke some action but sadly the appliance was never repaired/replaced. In fact after the 4th day the manager informed my wife a new hair dryer had been installed…later on our way to dinner when we told him again nothing had changed, he muttered he "would have to bring his own from home" and they/we would have to make do with what we had. To add insult to injury, on the day we left but prior to checking out, a brand new 42 inch flat screen TV appeared in our room.

Pool Bar- in a word "Filthy" the floating scum, plastic (cups and swizzle sticks), paper and leaves should at very least have been cleaned every day. The pool filters were blocked and never cleaned out. Most places filter the pools at least once a day… Blue Bay-one time a week, Saturday mornings, by Friday afternoon you have to push the scum out of the way to swim. Chaise lounges- filthy and frequently dilapidated. The policy on beach towels is simply inane, no one on the staff can explain how and where to get a towel other than there is one in your room upon arrival...getting a clean towel was an exercise in persistence and luck which results in guest hoarding thereby further reducing availability. Restrooms by the pools- calling them unhygienic would be a compliment- never cleaned in six days!

Food & Bar- Again, we didn't expect a Michelin rated restaurant but the Food is bland and sometimes bereft of taste. While you certainly won't starve to death-there is no flavor even at the ala Carte restaurants. The Booze-cheap, local watered down swill-how you could get as drunk as some Canadian guests appeared ...is more a testament to their unbridled enthusiasm for having a good time than any alcohol impairment.

STAFF- management should consider a daily meeting with staff directing them to SMILE. A more unpleasant staff would be hard to find unless you were handing them a tip. Bianca and Manolo should receive lessons in how to at least appear sincere as opposed to their barely hidden contempt for the guests. Front desk never had currency to exchange or any way of addressing basic requests other than writing the problem down in a book or on a tablet.

In conclusion, while you have to make lemonade out of lemons, Blue Bay Villas is hardly worthy of a rating other than POOR. The cumulative effect of the lack of any meaningful attention to visitor's requests for assistance, infrastructure deficiencies and lack of cleanliness does not merit visiting or subsidizing this Resort. One can do much better on the same budget. We will NOT be returning.

Room Tip: If you have a choice avoid this Resort.
3  Thank Tomary2
Reviewed 28 February 2013

1st Caribbean holiday, what a find. Beautiful location, wonderful weather and the the staff was just so happy to help you and made the holiday very special. We did tip a little a $1 here or there but even without tipping the service was jolly, no charging about but carried out in a calm way.The beach is glorious-a dream picture post card, though it does get windy. Umbrellas or tree area for shade is a must, so get up early to get a bed there. The rooms were not luxurious, but then you dont want to be in them very much.The pool area was full of fun-join in if you like or not , up to you but it was infectious. Evening entertainment but being near the rooms , it shut down before midnight. No kids! Multi national guests, most languages and tastes catered for. Food was good. 3 other restaurants on site (all incl) for something a little special, the beef steak house particularly good. Took a trip to paradise island, a chance to see the local area safely. The DR people outside of the secure hotel areas do not have a lot, there is a lot of proverty but everyone smiled as we drove past in our airconditioned coach. The boat trip and coral snorkling was exceptional even for a beginner. A life highlight! We were there for a week and it was enough time to have a taste of the beautiful country. Writing this report..we want to go again.

Room Tip: Most rooms are around the pool, but activiites are limited to specfic times.There are quiet areas- i...
3  Thank shellshokt
Reviewed 27 February 2013

We returned to Blue Bay for a two week stay after falling in love with it 3 years ago. We decided one week wasn’t long enough last time. Our stay was from Feb 1 –Feb 15th.
The check in went smoothly and we were pleased to find that we were given the same room as on our last visit. Very little has changed and it was good to see familiar faces. All of the staff are friendly and hard working. Our room was cleaned well every day. If we needed anything sooner rather than later (towels, water, etc.) all we had to do was ask and it was delivered with a smile right away. I’m thinking it’s all about how you ask. The staff also kept the grounds looking good every day. The entertainment crew made us laugh daily, even if we didn’t choose to join in.
We tried all 3 a la carte restaurants. No complaints about any of them. I do have to say that the waiters at the Jade Garden are awesome. The food at the buffet restaurant was amazing. There was always something to choose from and it never felt repetitious over the 2 weeks.
We have to recommend watching a sunrise or two at the beach. We did a city tour which included the (Teleferico) cable car ride to the top of Mount Isabel de Torres. Loved the cable car, but next time we’d skip the city tour – seemed it was mostly trying to get us to buy jewelry. We also went horseback riding at Rancho Lorilar - thoroughly enjoyed it.
One minor thing is the internet. We purchased some internet time only to find out the package expired after 6 days. We would have had to have averaged over 4 hours a day of usage to use it up. Who is on line that long when they are vacation?? Not these Frogs. Just pay attention to the fine print in the package you are buying. Or check what you can connect to free if you are near the surrounding hotels….just saying.
In closing- Yes, there are Timeshare People and vendors on the beach. We had no problem with them by politely telling them ‘No Thank You’. Yes, sometimes we could hear some of our neighbours while in the bathroom (or closet for some reason), but we laughed it off. We were just happy to be there and to enjoy a relaxing, romantic two week vacation in a beautiful location. And we would definitely go back to stay longer next time.

2  Thank thefrogs
Reviewed 27 February 2013

This was a small, quiet resort but this is a good thing. We appreciated that is was adults only. The check-in process was amazing....the staff handled it for us and provided us with cool cloths and drinks while it was being done! We booked a "gold" room so our WiFi access was included; however, since we were staying a week, it would have been nice to receive one user ID and password for the week. Instead, we had to go to the front desk each day to fill out a form, take it to another area to get the user ID and password and then return the book. This wasn't a huge issue but was a little inconvenient. The rooms were very clean and well appointed. The food was very good in the buffet restaurant and the Grill a la carte (we didn't try the other two a la carte restaurants). All staff were exceptional!! They went above and beyond all of the time. This includes the front desk staff, the bar staff and the animation team. There was a very quaint non-smoking area outside of the spa/gym that had its own coffee/juice station. There was also a small pool there. It was a very nice touch. The beach was gorgeous and well maintained. My only less than positive comment would be the availability of beach chairs. When the resort is full, it looks like they could use about 60 or so more chairs. However, the "beds" on the beach were amazing and we were lucky enough to secure one at one point during each day we were there. I would definitely stay there again for a one week getaway. If I were going away for two weeks, I might appreciate a couple of additional amenities - perhaps a piano bar (the seafood a la carte would be a perfect location)or cigar bar, maybe some pool tables and a shuffleboard. We were just looking for some additional “nooks and crannies” where we could relax. Overall, we had a great time at the Blue Bay Villas Doradas.

Reviewed 26 February 2013

Second stay at Blue Bay, El Dorado, Puerto Plata, DR. Last trip was in July 2010
It was restorative and delightful for us. Just what we needed for a mid-winter break. Lots of reading, relaxing, and sleeping in the sun.
The resort is small compared to others in the area. I still got lots of exercise walking and swimming.
The landscaping is well maintained and lovely.
BEACH: Everything I wanted. The sand is not rocky. The seaweed is raked up every morning. The water is comfortable.
EXTREME SHORTAGE OF BEACH CHAIRS. By 7:00 AM all beach beds and chairs were taken, mostly with towels; not people.
On the plus side. One morning I woke at 5:00 and walked to the beach. The walkway is lit, the beach bar is open, and the fellows are there and ready to set up chairs. I watched the stars until sunrise.
Say "No, thank you." to the vendors. Be very firm if they try to sit on your bed or chair.
No beach fleas.

Negative: There is a walkway to the beach that is attractive. Unfortunately there is a stagnant pool of water along that walkway. That swamp/puddle stinks so much that I held my breath when passing in both February, rainy season, and summer.
POOLS: The bar pool is separate from the other main pool. That works for me. Neither pool is huge. Bar pool had water aerobics.
Volleyball was midday in the other pool. I was always able to swim laps, float around, and relax in that pool. Best of all for me, there are several beds poolside. One was always available when I wanted one.
The "serenity pool" really needs maintenance. The railing for the steps is STILL loose and rocks.
FOOD: plentiful and OK. I found the beef distasteful/inedible but the chicken and turkey were very good. I often gathered other chopped vegetables for the pasta bar.
I had a good chuckle about the "cranberry sauce" for the turkey. My best guess is that a can of jellied cranberry sauce was added to the turkey gravy.
The bread is worth the calories. On the bread table there is a bowl of spiced chopped tomatoes that make a tasty relish on many dishes and salads.
Chocolate croissants were available each morning. Delicious dark chocolate.
Smoothies: The morning fresh smoothies were no longer available! That was disappointing. There was a yogurt dressing for fresh fruit at breakfast so I made do with that. There are also tasty juices.
Salads: There were always an assortment of choices for salads. Balsamic vinegar was a nice find.
I rarely drink alcohol but suspect that the vodka was watered down. Wine was dreadful but the champagne was good.
I recommend bringing insulated cups.
Timeshare Salespeople: Someone here wrote that they can not talk to you on first and last day. That worked on the 1st day. Day 2 my husband told them that he had "pledged" himself to another salesperson. That was respected and we were not bothered.
Beds, pillows, and linens are lumpy, lumpy, and thin.
Rooms are bland but we did not plan on staying in the room.
INTERNET: knocked off often. $60/device/week.

BUDGET RENT A CAR: UNRELIABLE!!!!!!!!!!! Better of getting a driver. Budget rented us a car that was not insured. It was impounded by the police. Budget wanted us to hire a taxi to go pick up the rental car. They were disrespectful and argumentative.

Do not be afraid to ask for a driver/cab to take you for a half day in Puerto Plata. We had fun shopping and drinking beer at a beach bar while watching the kite-surfers.

We were there the 3rd week of February. Seemed to me that most people were over 55 years of age.

1  Thank BridgetRiver