“A good choice in Puerto Plata”

Be Live Collection Marien
Ranked #8 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed 31 March 2012

This was my 1st time in Puerto Plata. I have stayed in Punta Cana area 6 times. The largest difference. Smaller resorts here, beach not crowded, older resort, so upgrades are required, mostly in the beds(need the new pillow top).
I was travelling with 5 girlfriends(so 6 of us-all in our 50's). The rooms were fine, clean, but the beds could be upgraded, they were not terrible, we all slept great. The water pressure in 1 of the rooms was very weak,especially the shower.
The layout of the buildings is great. You are not far from anything in any of the 9 buildings.
The food, They have 3 alacartes. Mexican, Brazilian, and Gourmet, We tried them all once. The Mexican was a let down, because all but 1 of us ordered Fahitas. They fried with the beef or chicken, Bacon.(whats with that?) all you could taste was greasy bacon. the salsa was awesome, but the fahita was really ruined for all of us, due to the bacon. one ordered the chicken dish, with veg, rice, was really good.
The Brazilian, was really good. meat was slow coming to your table, so ask for it before you go to the buffet to chose your veg.
The Gourmet, it was okey. Small steak, and not really very good quality, but was cooked correctly. the quanity was small of the accompanied veg.
The Buffett, Overall it was quite good. Alway something, salad fixings were awesome. So we were really all thrilled with that. The buffett food could have been hotter, for sure, but adequate for the amount of people they are feeding at once. the breads were TOOOOO good. The selection was varied. Fresh meat of some kind being offered at the back grill. Pork, steak, turkey, etc. varied ea. night. Breakfast was the norm and very good. Lunch was best at the buffet, unless you are a hot dog, hamburg fan, and the buns were stale often, at the snack bar as they are left out to long.
The pool area was very large, the set up was great with the different sections for action, quiet, deep , and shallow for families. lots of chairs available. The pool activities were fun. many joined in, the entertainment crew were great.
The beach area, was very clean, wide, sand soft to walk, and not crowded. lots of loungers in plentiful shade if required
There is a little mall to the right. stay away from the 1st area, just over the bridge.(we felt very intimidated, like volchers attaching us. Go to the 2nd area(orange buildings). Better. Lots of the same, sundresses, t.shirts, jewelry.
The shows at night were okey, used the audience a lot.
About the locals coming on the weekend. I feel they are there targetted by the timeshare incentive. They arrive late friday and leave sunday midday. alot of families, teens. etc.
So this resort was great for what we wanted. The price was a very reasonable. 1080.00tx in. So what could you complain about. the charter was great, airport airconditioned. unlike punta cana. a sweat box. The Staff was friendly, service was good. Again, we are not high maintance princess's. Happy to be not cooking or working for a week. Its all good!

5  Thank beachlovercanada

Reviewed 30 March 2012

First time to the Dominican, so have to compare this resort to numerous ones we have stayed at in Mexico.

Food – very limited selection and overall, not of great quality in the buffet. We stayed two weeks and the menu was the same on the same days of the week. It is hard to get excited the second time through the line up. The 3 restaurants that required reservations were surprisingly good and we would recommend using them as much as possible.
Pool area – very nice and clean. Always able to find chairs even with the people that go down before dawn and put their towels on the prime ones. A second bar or pool bar would have been nice. The line-ups for the pool bar can get long, especially in the afternoon. Only major concern was the women who disregarded the signs and sunbathed topless. There were a number of families there and I’m sure the parents were not impressed.
Beach area – beach was kept fairly well kept as far as cleaning up the seaweed. Boys were there every morning raking it up, which cannot be said for some of the other resorts in the area. Beach was not cleaned on a regular basis for other garbage though. Overall, beach area is OK and the breeze keeps you cool during the day.
Rooms – we were in three of the buildings (1, 2 and 8) The older ones (1 & 2) are clean and no major problems, other than the patio doors not locking, but they are very dated and need upgrading. If you can, get into one of the newer ‘white’ buildings. They are fairly new and the rooms are in good condition. BEDS ARE VERY HARD. We asked for some sort of extra pad for the mattress and did not receive anything.
Spa – we did use the spa in the resort and it was very good.
Bars – not a lot of selection for bars and the liquor used is average house brand. You can get premium brands, but they do charge additional for them.
Actual resort staff were very nice and we had no issues with them or the overall service we received.
Overall, the resort is fine, but not outstanding. If you are used to 4 or 5 star all inclusive in Mexico, this one will disappoint. Biggest letdown for us was the food and having Time Share/Vacation salesmen all over the resort, constantly trying to lure you into trying their other resort. Say NO and walk away, they are very annoying.

Room Tip: First time to the Dominican, so have to compare this resort to numerous ones we have stayed at in Me...
1  Thank toolman22
Reviewed 29 March 2012

The staff is very eager to please & really made the whole experience! I can't say enough about the entertainment staff. They put on great shows & make the activities a blast, but will leave you alone if they see you trying to relax. Both beach & pool are beautiful. There is a great breeze on the beach. & the pool is huge. This hotel would rate sooo much better for me with just a few little tweeks. 1st being the buffet, it is GARBAGE. Make reservations ASAP for the restaurants (LOVED the Mexican & Brazilian restaurants) for your entire stay, don't wait to see what you like 1st & go back later because the line takes forever & anything is better than the dinner buffet. Breakfast buffet isn't horrible, I could at least stomache the idea of eating some of the food served & you really can't go wrong with fruit & muffins. Most lunches we ate at the snack shack because again the lunch buffet is pretty bad. When I read reviews of the food I thought people were being too picky. I'm a pretty laid back person & don't have insane expectations, but truely I would think twice before serving that buffet to a dog. 2nd tweek would be the beds. I would compare it to sleeping on a cement block. Again I thought people's expectations were too high when I read all the complaints about the beds, but sure enough...everyone was right. I tolerated it for 2 days because I didn't want to be a pain in the butt, but I remembered some people had mentioned asking for mattress pads. The maid quickly came over with 5 thicker blankets to place on top of the mattess, which did help alittle. My recommendation would be to toss a few drinks back just before bed so you are pretty tipsy, you'll hardly notice it then! 3rd would be more than one bartender during peak hrs at each bar. The lines can start to get alittle old & often I would just skip it altogether (which might be there intention to save on booze). My only other experience with an all inclusive resort was at a 5 star hotel in Mexico so it's tough to compare anything now. There is no swim up bar, which is a bummer but def not make or break. I also previously had wait service around the pool delivering drinks, which is not the case here. Again not make or break, you just have to really want the drink to be willing to get up from relaxing & wait in line. Now many people have commented on the locals selling things on the beach, here is my take on it: tourists are their bread & butter & some people actually buy their services (braiding & massages) or tours. They cannot leave the shoreline & are pleasant enough & not too agressive on selling. Politely say no thank you & they will not ask again. Now they do work in shifts so you might have to tell a few people throughout the day, but its 3 words "no thank you"...no big deal! Now the Lifestyles people on the other hand are a pain in the butt & will stalk you all day everyday, avoid them at all cost, unless you want to take the tour which some people are into, but I'm not. I don't want to leave my vacation to see another hotel.

Room Tip: I paid extra for an ocean view & thought it was well worth it!
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Myself, and two of my girl friends (all early 30's) booked a week of fun in the sun at the Be Live Grand Marien. None of us had ever been to the Dominican Republic before, so we looked to our travel agent for direction on where to stay, as well as reviews on tripadvisor.
The resort is smaller,which was also a selling point for us. It only had one pool, however we went to play in the ocean, not sit by the pool. The hotel was always clean, the lobby, bars, etc. Our room (standard) was your basic hotel room, nothing special, but it was always clean and again we came to spend time outside of the room not hanging out in it.
The food was great, there wasn't a huge buffet, but a different menu every day, and the snack bar had a lot of great options as well. The a la cartes were really good, especially the "Gourmet" one.
There were 2 bars, one by the pool and one at the snack bar by the beach. There is NO swim up bar. There is a bar beside the pool, that you can swim up to, but you need to exit the pool...which to me means it is not a swim up bar. There was a sports bar/disco in the lobby area, which we only visited at night (more on that later).
The beach area was very well maintained, the very sweet older security guard always cleaned up our cups. NOTE: he keeps you safe on the beach and seriously works 24/7...so give him a dollar or two :)
The staff, on a whole, were very nice. The buffet staff were pleasant and polite, the pool staff were a little loud and aggressive, and the cleaning staff (maids) were very sweet.
The disco on the resort was fun, they played a good mix of North American Top 40 and Latin music. We had arrived at the resort on a Sunday, so we were able to frequent the disco several nights. By Friday night we noticed that a lot of locals were at the hotel and especially the disco. Saturday night there was a teenagers birthday party, in the disco, which took over most of the space and made it really uncomfortable to be there because they were thrashing around and bumping into everyone.
There is a small shopping area next to the hotel, which has the basic souvenirs (rum, mamajuana, cigars, etc). The staff are nice and willing to barter. There is also a wine bar, which has great prices and is a nice reprieve from the resort.

Room Tip: We stayed in a standard room. I would recommend not staying near the pool, as people hang out by the...
Reviewed 28 March 2012

You have to be a certain type of tourist to appreciate this hotel- one that only travels here to enjoy the nice weather and beach but not not appreciate the local culture or town. The room we had was amazing- it was super clean, spacious, and beautiful and had a balcony overlooking the property. We spent about $117 for one night, and since it was an all inclusive, I'd say that this price is a good value for what you get- unlimited food and beverages including alcoholic beverages, use of non-motorized watersports (kayaking etc), use of the pool and beach with beachchairs and towel rentals, and shows (we didn't watch them though). The food was really really good and the drink were tasty (a bit of advice- tip your bartenders and they will hook it up for you otherwise the alcoholic beverages are weak)....

So for the hotel itself, it was awesome but when we asked the staff about advice about the town and its surroundings, they didn't know anything. We wanted to go to 27 waterfalls (which I highly recommend) and they could only tell us to take an organized tour, which we didn't want to do. Also, our flight the next day left out of Santiago so we asked if they knew the guagua schedule (guaguas are their form of buses which are super common and frequently used by the locals and quite safe to use by tourists although you should always use common sense and predetermine the fare before hand with the driver) and neither the guest services lady nor any other staff we asked knew anything about it and again just told us that they would arrange a taxi which is 5 times more expensive than a guagua.

Lastly, the beach was pretty dirty compared to the beauty in Las Terrenas.

So all in all, I would recommend this hotel to those who are unadventurous and don't want to explore beyond your hotel. Everything you need is at the hotel. I was happy I only stayed one night because I don't think I could've endured being surrounded by loud annoying kids, loud annoying rude teenagers on spring break, and saggy body parts for any longer.

Reviewed 27 March 2012

The resort is super clean and staff are very helpful and friendly. We were a group of 9 and the only real complaint we had was that the food could be HOT. We booked 2 different excursions at half the price the hotel offered and were very pleased with the tour guides who were excellent. Entertainment was different every night and very good. The Beach Bar was very close and the Beach was groomed every day and no seaweed anywhere. I can't imagine why people would write bad reviews about this place as they are not warranted. I feel those who do, must be extremely hard to please, it's not perfect but a close 4 star. I believe in giving credit where credit is due, I would go back here, however we prefer to go to different locations every year we travel. Thumbs up Grand Marien!!!!

Room Tip: We had room 3317 right on the beach close to beach bar and snack bar which just happens to be open u...
1  Thank Beryl A
Reviewed 24 March 2012

HI, I stayed at this resort with high expectations that turned very low, very quickly. service was very second rate along with the facility in general. Food was very low quality. the resort seemed pretty clean in general with accessories that were in much need of updates. I would never stay here again and I cant say that for the other resorts I stayed at. my only advice is be carefull. no bars on the beach which sucked and poor sand quality.

Room Tip: my only advice is be carefull. no bars on the beach which sucked and poor sand quality.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family