4,892 results
All reviews snack bar danny boy gourmet restaurant dominican republic a la carte restaurants entertainment staff great resort spaghetti beach volleyball other resorts kids club recommend this resort hot dogs large pool punta cana stayed in building flea market
Reviewed March 7, 2018 via mobile

My daughter and I just got back. To make a long story short, there are way too many negatives to mention. The staff members are very nice but the food and cleanliness well another story. Just pick another resort.

I don't understand why there are so many good reviews. I wish I would've read a review like mine before I booked the Be Live Marien!!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
6  Thank daf58
Reviewed March 7, 2018

On a cancelled American airlines flight in puerta plata they stuck us in this resort over night. Do not take your family there! There were prostitutes walking the grounds My room smelled of mildew and had roaches. I went to open the door to the patio and the door handle came off. The room safe was broken I slept a little with the lights on and slept on the couch that was in the room I kept my bags closed so no roaches or bed bugs could get in.I unpacked my bag in the garage and went straight to my washing machine. This place is a dump

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
3  Thank mrgriffin2124
Reviewed March 7, 2018 via mobile

This was my first time in dominican republic and really liked it the pool was big and Always was cleaned the food at the restaurant is Good and i cant complain about the bars but i Will give special mention to all the Entertainment staff specially my favourite person Francisco mini me He Always was with us giving us alot of fun thanks mini me also the others guys were great Cesar spagetti Vladimir ĺand the crazy moskito congratulations guys Good job

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Anton D
Reviewed March 7, 2018 via mobile

What can I say about this hotel???
Positives————-
1 - food decent, restaurants better.
2 - beach lovely and clean as was the ocean.
3 - weather great.
4 - daytime entertainment good.
5 - trips, wouldn’t recommend paradise island as it is a sand dune in middles of sea and overpriced. Tour of puerto plata was great though, would recommend!
6 - bar staff and restaurant staff were polite.

Negatives————
1 - room was damp and smelt musty, bathing suits didn’t dry for about three days, neither did towels.
2 - Patio door didn’t lock, was held shut with a peg.
3 - air con smelt burnt.
4 - maid did bare minimum until last two days (clearly for tip) also left our patio door wide open even though we were on ground floor.
5 - reception staff very rude, walked away when any complaints were made. Staff in general were rude unless tipped. Was shouted at by a buffet restaurant waitress over a jug of water that we had asked three times for a refill.
6 - nowhere to go for walks in evening. Went to pharmacy and a local man tagged along, even though we told him to leave us. He then got aggressive and threatening and forced us to pay him for his time. 400 pesos. Was scary moment.
7 - room key stopped working four times and managed to get back in through patio door.
8 - evening entertainment was dire. Same dancing every night. Was looking forward to African night although turned out to be Spanish.
9 - booked premium seating at a cost of 500 and found you have to pay extra at their side as it is not tui! That would’ve been an extra 60 dollars.
10 - souvenirs are very expensive which we found surprising!
11 - the Dominicans take forever doing any task, they are unbelievably laid back to point of horizontal. Then chat between themselves in Spanish in the middle of said task.

Basically if you’re planning to go be sure to tip well if you want a good service. I had the Dominican recommended to me by friends but I was sorely disappointed. Maybe it was just this hotel, but after speaking to people we met there, they agreed with us.
Also make sure you take plenty of diarrhoea pills as I went through two boxes.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed March 6, 2018 via mobile

I had looked on many sites and never saw any reviews that would concern me. Well I have to say this is my fourth trip out of country and I was incredibly disappointed! We we’re a group of six and we all book with air Canada vacations and we all upgraded to ocean view. Unfortunately my husband and I were the only one that actually got what we paid for. My one friend actually had a “VIP” banner on their door only to have their view of buildings. My other friend was the same disappointment as they had had a stream which lead to the ocean but no ocean view. She actually said when I first saw that I was excited but there was nothing VIP about it. Both couples went to the front desk to complain and nothing was done until they went to Air Canada representative which then they were both moved and it was better. However we noticed through the week with chatting with other ppl that many ppl had the same complaint that they also asked for specific details when they booked but were incredibly disappointed when they got to the resort. A lot of ppl don’t complain about their rooms bc they are all happy to be away and I feel the ppl at the desk are hoping for this. This to us we felt was a huge scam and it’s not right. We had a great time despite the rain all week but you can’t control the weather. It was just very disappointing to see how this resort was clearly taking advantage of travellers and they were right bc many ppl did not complain however if you pay for the upgrade you should absolutely receive it! There were other things like not being able to book all three of the a la carts at the same time and no one picking up garbage around the pool. We were grateful to be away from the snow and the food was good but we will not return to this resort.

Stayed: February 2018