I think this is your run-of-the-mill all-inclusive resort. The best part for us was the beautiful ocean waters the resort had access to.
You have all day access to their "International" buffet that varied a little from day to day but was essentially the same. The food at this buffet was better than dorm food but not by much. Then you can eat at one of their on-site restaurants for different flavors and better food a few of the nights (for a 5-night stay, we got two vouchers for dinner).
The rooms were all new and nice. You do not get free WiFi in the room although you can pay to get it. There is a WiFi router in each room so the connection speed should be good if you buy the package. We got a room close to the ocean and had a really nice view of the ocean from our balcony. Good climate control, TV, fan in every room, nice bathroom, and nice (albeit soft and springy) beds.
As for activities, you get your standard offerings of scuba, snorkeling, banana boats, parasailing, lounging on the beach, exercise classes, dancing lessons, shows at night, music and dancing in the evenings, plenty of pools, a nice exercise room, a spa (which we did not use), ping-pong/hockey table/billiards, and the weekly bash in the VIP area of the resort. We ended up taking a taxi to Puerto Plata (the resort is actually about 3 Km outside of the city) and walking around. This was certainly a highlight for us since we enjoy more of adventure and seeing the local life. We found Puerto Plata to be safe and enjoyable to walk through. You will get the standard peddlers and people trying to sell you stuff. Don't feel like you have to give them anything. Also, all major currencies are accepted with USD being the most useful.
Finally, the alcohol situation. The good - alcohol is included in the all-inclusive fee. Drink to your hearts content. The bad - the alcohol is the very cheapest kind (the brand is "Classic"). We found it really hard to keep any kind of buzz, not sure why. The drinks were ok and they don't shy away from giving you plenty of alcohol in your drink if you want it. They have around 10 standard cocktails like Piña Colada, Daiquiri, and Cuba Libre. But they can also make other drinks per request. The beer is the local variety (Presidente) which we think is very good. For the wine drinkers, you'll struggle. We live in Spain and drink good wine daily. The wine there is quite poor. We were able to pay $25 for a bottle of decent Chilean wine to celebrate our Honeymoon. You need to ask the wait staff and give them a story as this is not standard.
Our goal was to veg for a week and that is what we got so we enjoyed our stay. It is not the type of vacation we favor.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set within the sprawling Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort, The Tropical offers a classic hotel vacation experience set within quaint, two- and threestory, Mediterranean-style buildings. The mood is laid-back and distinctively Caribbean. Guest enjoy all resort facilities and amenities (excluding the V.I.P areas) including swimming pools, a choice of excellent restaurants, exercise rooms, tennis courts, windsurfing and so much more. The Lifestyle Tropical is Ideal for couples seeking a private island hide-away with all the advantages of a world-class resort. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort And Spa
- Lifestyle Tropical Beach Hotel Puerto Plata
- Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort Spa
- Hacienda Tropical
- Hotel Lifestyle Tropical Beach