This was a girls' trip getaway booked through cheapcaribbean.com. Booking through them gets you a yellow bracelet at check in. The color of your bracelet determines your "ranking", as different colors have different privileges. Gold or black bracelets apparently outrank the yellow bracelets. Before you book this trip, decide if you want gourmet cuisine on your vacation. If you do, this is not the place for you. The resort is gorgeous, and if your goal is to relax in the sun and have a few beverages (which mine was), you will be fine. The vast majority of the staff is extremely friendly and helpful, especially if you attempt to speak Spanish to them. (I know very little Spanish, but I tried!)
Yes, this IS a timeshare, and they will try to give you the hard sell. But a firm "We are not interested" will take care of that, and you can continue on your way. Don't go anywhere with a staff member who says you get a free gift. Actually, don't go to any type of meeting whatsoever.
We were assigned one dinner reservation when we checked in. We tried to stand in line one morning to get reservations for another night and it wasn't worth it. (We were 4th in line when the door opened and ended up with a 9:30PM reservation; no thank you!) So, that meant we were eating the buffet for the rest of the trip. The buffet: sigh. I SO wanted to like it. They have trouble keeping food hot that really needs to be hot. Nobody wants to eat room temperature or cold fish. The cereal was stale, and the starches far outnumbered the protein options. The birds eill totally land on your table and eat your food if you walk away from it. They swoop in over your head the whole time you are eating. There are also a couple of cats that hang around the buffet.
However, we did discover (on our last night) that the buffet at the sister resort, the Cofresi, is MUCH better. So I would highly recommend walking the short distance to the Cofresi. They will take you by shuttle, but trust me, you want to walk. It really isn't that far, as long as it isn't raining!
Any problems we encountered were fixed immediately. We had problems with our A/C not working, and they came over promptly to work on it. It took two trips, but ultimately it did work. There was no shower curtain in our bathroom, only a wall. This meant that the whole bathroom floor would flood every time we took a shower. Not my favorite thing, but we managed. We thoroughly enjoyed the pools and the beach, and the bartenders were very sweet. With the exception of one incredibly rude hostess at the Mexican restaurant (her name was Rufina), the staff were all very personable and we enjoyed talking with them.
Did i enjoy myself? Yes. Would I go back to this particular resort? Probably not.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set within the sprawling Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort, The Tropical offers a classic hotel vacation experience set within quaint, two- and threestory, Mediterranean-style buildings. The mood is laid-back and distinctively Caribbean. Guest enjoy all resort facilities and amenities (excluding the V.I.P areas) including swimming pools, a choice of excellent restaurants, exercise rooms, tennis courts, windsurfing and so much more. The Lifestyle Tropical is Ideal for couples seeking a private island hide-away with all the advantages of a world-class resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lifestyle Tropical Beach Hotel Puerto Plata
- Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort And Spa
- Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort Spa
- Hacienda Tropical
- Hotel Lifestyle Tropical Beach