“Would not go back unless REALLY cheap”

The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
Ranked #10 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
“Would not go back unless REALLY cheap”
Reviewed 12 April 2012

We stayed for five days and I'll tell you the prOs and cons of this place...

Pros: resort is beautiful...grounds are well kept... VIP beach area is nice (get there around 730am if you want a beach bed)...pools are nice....staff (bartenders waiters maids) are very nice. Free drinks were great. Banana boat roads 10$ a person on beach--not bad.

Cons: front desk staff is extremely rude and do not care about you, check in was a nightmare...room was not ready on time then they gave us the wromg rooms, no one wants to help you or give you a straight answer about anything, Beach is not that nice, food is horrible!!!! Be very careful about what you eat...ate mostly bread and fruit. Did not get sick but heard people that did. Buffet is dog food. Entertainment is lacking. Do not book transportation through Olympus tours its a rip off. Felix (works behind the Olympus desk in lobby) is rude and unprofessional. 250$ round trip to and from airport and they wanted to dictate when we were leaving to head to the airport---wanted to bring us at 10am even though our flight was at 3 and the airport is 30 min away!!! We paid extra to have private transportation! Book elsewhere or a taxi is 50$. Save your $. Booking reservations for dinner is the worst system and the restaurants aren't even that great. Ate at blue lagoon (decent) Indian (best) and Johnny's (horrible).

Overall, we got this trip dirt cheap. We probably drank enough to justify it. If you want to just kick back and drink all you want then go, but if you care about food and more things to do then this isn't the place! I would probably not return here.

• Stayed April 2012
5 Thank Kab1988

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,035)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
new york
Reviewed 12 April 2012

On the first day of arrival they got the room wrong, after a hour and a half wait they assigned a second room that hadn't even been cleaned. The staff kept pushing time shares and services for sales and kept checking badge and bracelet bands if you didn't pay top dollar then it's like you didn't exist and there is absolutely NO security.
As a testament when my girlfriend and I went to complain we had to wait, behind 10 other people that was there to complain before us!

DR is beautiful and the people are friendly and helpful when you have a wad of cash, but for the 90% of people that make up the majority of the customer base as a small group or couples be prepared to be invisible and pissed.

Room Tip: the scenery is immaculate, hides the crappy service. always have a dollar on your table like your...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank heng e
danbury
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Went on a girls trip in March. Been to Punta Cana many times, much nice than Puerto Plata. This resort caters to time share holders. If you are a regular vacationer, you will not feel welcome. The food was definitely below average( note- I have been to the Dominican numerous times, knew of their cuisine). Staff was not well informed about the resort in which they worked. Couldn't get a straight answer from any one. The beaches were not great. Short and wet. The resort was also very steep, many many stairs and steep ramps. If one has trouble getting around this resort is not for you. Too many VIP areas that the average person cannot venture to. Overall would never go back to this resort.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
8 Thank charlene h
East Berlin PA
Reviewed 10 April 2012

I spent a week at the Lifetsyle in Puerto Plata with a group of eight. This all inclusive resort operates on a caste system utilizing wristbands. Access to different areas of the resort and bars/restaurants is dependent upon the color of your wristband (and don't lose your wristband or there is a $100 us charge for replacement). The customer service was very poor at check-in. It took over 2 hours to get checked in due to confusion on our rooms. The Buffet was always a good choice for meals.The reservation process is the worst ever if you want to eat at one of the many specialty reaturants. You don't make reservations. Rather you request a restaurant, and then at 4:00 pm they tell you when and where you are to eat. If you have a group of more than four they will not guarantee that you will be seated at the same table. In our case we did eat at the same table, however our reservations were always at 9:30pm. This was not really acceptable. I suppose you could just show up at a restaurant and try to get seated; we did not try this approach. The beach was great, and we always went early to reserve a bed for the day. The drinks included in the inclusive option were average at best. Presidente was the only beer available and the liquers were barely bottom shelf. The rooms were very nice, and if you requested they would stock the in room fridge with soda, water, and beer. The waiters / waitresses were very attendant. The grounds were kept very clean. Overall we had fun, but decided we would not return for another vacation at this resort. On a side note...we reserved through cheap carribean and had the worst experience ever. When we arrived at the airport, we did not have tickets for two of the travellers due to the travel compnay confusing the names of the travellers. Barely made our flights...but if you fly out early....remember cheap carribean does not open until 5:00am and there is no assistance before then.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank jenmormad
Freehold, New Jersey
Reviewed 7 April 2012 via mobile

I have to say this is the worst experience I have had for a vacation. Cheap Caribbean should be ashamed to advertise this resort. Rooms are very old, run down. Mattress spring came through and cut my husbands foot open. Will not replenish frig, said it is not included in Cheap Caribbean room. You have to keep refilling water bottle to drink and brush teeth. Food is horrible. I was sick first few days, dizzy, nauseous, diarrhea. Both my daughters were also sick. My husband thought we were exaggerating until it finally hit him 5 days into it. Severe body aches, chills, diarrhea to the point that he could not make it to the bathroom. Please do not waste your money unless you enjoy being sick! Also, the beach is gross, dead fish, seaweed, fake sand box sand, and oh wait the best part, the SEWAGE running from pipes into the ocean where you are supposed to swim. Can't even describe remotely how unsanitary and scary this is. I do not recommend nor will I ever come back here! We are a family that loves to travel at least twice a year and have been all over the Caribbean and have never experienced anything like this! Be aware, trust negative reviews!

Stayed April 2012
9 Thank Wink777
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 6 April 2012

My hubby and I purchased a discounted vacation for 6 days and 5 nights hoping to use it in Hawaii this past summer. However, there was no availability in Hawaii at the time and no refund on the package. Therefore, we decided to book the DR for spring break. Once we booked back in November, I started reading up on the reviews. Many of them were good, but shortly before we were to arrive, many of the reviews were bad and mentioned getting sick, food poisoning, stomach viruses, rude staff, etc. I was like OMG! We can't cancel because there is no refund. Well, I praise God that we couldn't cancel because my hubby and I could have missed out on a blessing of a time! We are Christians so prayer is not unusual for us. When I started reading all of the negative reviews, I started praying against those experiences for us. Prayer works! We flew Delta to Santiago and had intended to catch a bus to Puerta Plata. A taxi driver approached us as soon as we walked out of the airport. We negotiated a great rate to ride all the way to the resort and secured a pick-up for our return to the airport. I kept hearing about how poorly yellow bracelets (Cheap Caribbean) were treated. I did not want a yellow bracelet. We didn't get one. Ours was silver. I heard about people saying it took hours to get into their room. It took us minutes. We were booked for two restaurants already. One was Mexican but I wanted Indian instead. That was changed without any issues. We were shown to our room with an ocean view (the view was something else I really desired) and we were on our way to enjoying our vacation. I was so hesitant about drinking the juice since one reviewer mentioned it not being pasturized. I also was shying away from the ice since I thought it was made from their water. It was a good thing I asked and observed because I would have missed out on some refreshing drinks like the virgin Bahama Mama and fresh fruit smoothies at breakfast. I also would have had to drink warm soda. One of the workers in the restaurant explained to me the process and lengths they go through for us guests to consume food and drinks. After she informed me, I saw bags and bags of ice being delivered all over the resort. As far as the meals were concerned, my hubby and I took an herbal supplement called Charcoal when we ate and if I stomach acted like it was about to get queasy or upset. No diarrhea. No full fledged upset stomach. No constipation. I will admit not every staff member at the resort was overly friendly but there were some really nice people there. Everyone at the front desk was pleasant enough as well as the tour desk. Yes, VIP members were entitled to some things that non VIP members weren't but they pay for those privileges. Check-out was very fast for us as well though we checked out at 9:30 in the evening. No one else was checking out at that time. We had some ants in our bathroom. We let them know and they came right away to spray. That was the end of that! Every day we received a refill on our sodas and water for our room. That was another complaint some reviewers had. Also, I think that you might receive better service if you can communicate somewhat in Spanish because it makes them understand easier what you need. Many staff didn't appear to no much English so they seemed to appreciate any Spanish you could speak and any tips you could give. Overall, my hubby and I felt blessed to be there and we enjoyed ourselves immensely.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank SchatzeAtlanta
Apple Valley, California
Reviewed 6 April 2012

most horrible company ever!!!!! First of all they suck you in and show you all the wonderful beaches if you upgrade. They show you books and books of resorts that you go to all over the world at no extra cost to you with your membership. They tell you that reservations are as easy as 1 2 3 and that there is never a wait. What a crock of crap!!!!! I have never been able to get any reservations requested. Apparently the Dominican as a country must believe that false advertising and fraudulent contracts are all okay. I have been fighting to get my money back and even with my Bank they are fighting and going to arbitrations. Unbelievable. The facility as a whole is so so. and the food is boring and with get you sick without a doubt.
The beaches were okay, but littered with people trying to make a buck. The diving sucks!!!!!
And the dive operators are unsafe!!!!
Do Not Go!!!! Not worth it at any cost.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple