“A perfectly polished gem”

Casa Colonial Beach & Spa
Ranked #4 of 39 Hotels in Puerto Plata
West New York, NJ
“A perfectly polished gem”
Reviewed 13 April 2012

My husband and I were visiting the DR so we could spend Easter with our daughter who is on semester in Santiago. We planned to spend the first part of our trip on the beach and the second part with her on her University mission campus. Since this was our first time visiting the DR I followed the recommendations from others very closely as we did not want to be surprised or disappointed. We were absolutely delighted with this resort. It is exquisite, low-key, quiet, and very private.

Pulling into the drive we were wowed by the gorgeous edifice of the hotel. The doorman greeted us at the door with "welcome home" and we exchanged names, which he remembered for the length of our stay. Soon we were seated in the airy reservation area, complimentary cocktails in hand, while we reviewed our reservation with the very pleasant staff. We enjoyed a tour of the property including the inviting spa facilities. I noted to myself how much it felt like the Kohler Waters spa in Wisconsin and indeed the bathrooms are fully outfitted with premium Kohler tubs, showers, and faucets. Delightful!

Our room had a tropical view, facing the pond. The room was huge with two queen sized beds so our daughter could stay with us also. With the balcony doors open it was breezy and wonderful.

We particularly loved that the resort cares so much about conserving energy which was evidenced by the room key's control of the power. Key in: power on. Key off: power off. We felt good about that aspect.

The food was wonderful. We enjoyed a delicious dinner on our first night, just the two of us. I don't remember what my husband ordered because I was enjoying my own filets on a bed of mashed yucca with blue cheese so much. The wait staff was superb and I am grateful they tolerated my many questions beginning with "come se dice..."

We returned to the main restaurant again on our last night with our daughter, Sara, and were happy to see that every table was occupied. Even with many diners to serve, the staff provided the same excellent service.

For breakfast we enjoyed the excellent buffet in the smaller restaurant (I'm sorry! I can't remember it's name). Again, the service is exemplary.

My daughter and I took advantage of the wonderful spa facilities and both had spa manicures and pedicures. I wish we had time to enjoy one of the many massages and facials offered. The price of the spa treatments is very, very reasonable.

There is so much more to say about this wonderful gem, the landscaping, the pool, the hot tubs, the mojitos~ I truly recommend this wonderful place to anyone looking for a different kind of resort where your relaxation and comfort is the number one priority of the staff.

We will definitely stay at Casa Colonial again based on its beauty and the facility, but mostly because of the hospitality of the staff. Thank you!

Room Tip: The tropical view is fine and the room was gorgeous, however if you want to sit out on your balcony...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Czech first
Cap-Haitien
Reviewed 5 April 2012

we were 5 family member for a birthday and spend 2 days. the all experience was exceptional.
Very professional and attentive service, food was superior and original, we have 3 junior suites they are very comfortable, spacious and well equipped.
The ground and the beach are manicured and tropical looking.
The all ambiance is chic without any short fall in elegance and good taste.
I will go back every time I have the opportunity this is so relaxing and you are so pampered .
the best yet.

Room Tip: Junior suites are very nice and the quality price ratio very nice I prefer first floor than ground l...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 5 April 2012

My girlfriend and I spent six nights at the hotel, and we enjoyed our time. The staff was courteous and prompt, although the servers and maids spoke poor English and miscommunications were not infrequent. The maids did an exceptionally nice job with twice-daily sprucing up.

The hotel and its grounds were lovely and well maintained. The guest rooms and bathrooms are spacious. The beach was our favorite spot, with comfortable lounge chairs and staff on hand to take drink and food orders. The rooftop pool and four hot-tubs were great for to relaxing and grabbing a drink or some food.

Now for the negatives. The hotel is surrounded by cut-rate all-inclusive resorts that serve a distinctly different clientele than the Casa Colonial. There are no decent food options outside the hotel. Given the lack of options outside the hotel, it's unfortunate that guests must dine at Lucia, the on-site restaurant that the owners have attempted to fashion into an upscale dinner spot. Be warned: the chef drowns the food in an unspeakable quantity of garlic. The food is more reliable at the other restaurant, Veranda, which is unfortunately only open for breakfast and dinner. While on the beach, vendors pestered us constantly, which is common in the Caribbean but still irritating. The water quality was poor, because the hotel sits on a small inlet polluted by jetskis and fishing boats. As for other amenities, the gym was adequate for light lifting and cardio, although the machines could use an update.

The verdict: a good weekend getaway. For our next week-long vacation in the Dominican Republic, we'll go to Punta Cana or Casa de Campo.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Matthew L
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 2 April 2012

If you are looking for a get away that delivers on every level look no further. Casa Colonial is one of the best small hotels we have ever stayed at. We recently celebrate my husband's signficiant birthday at CC and had invited 12 friends to share the celebration. All twelve are world travellers and all of left promising we'd be back the first opportunity we could.

The friendly service, wonderfully comfortable rooms (the junior suites opening onto the beach are terrific if you like to drift off to sleep with the sound of the ocean through the open doors...yes, you can sleep with the doors open, there's a 24 hour beach watch) the overall ambiance and the lovely spa are all world class. I could not fault one thing about our stay or the property.

My sense is this is the type of place you arrive, unpack your bags and never leave the property...there is no reason to! We will be back at every opportunity.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Big Sur, California
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I stayed here for a few days before boarding a dive boat for a week. It is utterly fabulous. First class everything in both ambiance and customer service, from the room, to the food (good vegetarian options), the views, and the spa. I will be back!

Room Tip: I had an ocean view Junior Suite. . . booked through Expedia and got a very good discount.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 March 2012

I am late to post a review as I was there in early January. The weather had been rainy, but excluding our first day, it was beautiful. I think that we got lucky. Not really knowing much about the resort, I booked a Junior Suite with Lanai on the first floor Ocean view. The room was Very nice,but a little small. We asked to upgrade rooms and they were very accommodating and offered us a 2 room suite for a nominal up-charge. To me it was worth it. We also booked the "romance package", I also felt this was a good value and having them pick you up at the airport as a VIP and expedite your customs clearing in a private lounge was GREAT!!! Never experienced anything like this before. As far as the restaurant, we did enjoy Lucia BUT it was very expensive and found the menu to be somewhat limited. After 4 nights my wife and I ordered different things, we felt like we had exhausted the menu. The other restaurant on site was very good and a good alternative. I loved the fish taco's and chicken sandwich. Service on every end was fabulous. Definitely a world class destination. You truly feel like you are the only one at the resort. The spa was very nice, but my wife felt like she got the short end on her massage but I enjoyed mine. She likes a deep massage and she got a light rubdown.
As part of the romance package, we had dinner from Lucia served on the beach.... what a special evening. The night was unforgettable as we got back to our room. WE were welcomed with votive candles on the floor with rose petals leading through the bedroom to the bathtub that was filled with a bubble bath with rose petals. Truly one of the most romantic experiences of my life!! Oh, one more thing, the beds were heavenly!!!
What else can be said... truly a magical place for a Honeymoon that we will always remember!

Room Tip: We did oceanfront, but don't feel that the courtyard rooms would be a disappointment.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank brucekwg
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 March 2012

We stayed here in March for 4 nights. The hotel is very beautiful and the rooms are large and very comfortable. The bed was super comfy and I loved how the bathtub was open to the room. One of our favorite things about the hotel was the roofdeck pool and 4 hottubs. We spent a lot of time up there and even caught a gorgeous sunrise on our last day. They are open 24 hours a day so you can go up there are night and look at the stars from the hottub. The restaurant Lucia was excellent. We loved eating breakfast everyday outside on the patio and had the pastry basket every day. I had a massage at the spa and the spa is also very beautiful and spacious. The hotel staff was friendly but in a more formal 5 star hotel way. The location is ok, there is a retail plaza which is a very close 4 min walk or golf cart ride away which has a few touristy shops and pizza hut. They do a good job keeping the beach clean. The ocean is swim-able and pretty clear. The only disadvantage is that the hotel is in between a ton of all inclusive resorts which can be loud at times. The chairs on the casa colonial beach front are all spread out and since the hotel is very small there are always chairs at the beach and pool available. Overall a very beautiful classy and comfortable hotel we hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple