“Should've gone elsewhere for honeymoon”

Paradisus Punta Cana Resort
Ranked #25 of 113 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 11 August 2017

A few things: this is the first all inclusive resort my husband and I have ever been to, so keep that in mind while reading this, and this resort is not for "resort novices" like us.

The good:
-- Bellboy service: fantastic! Always loading and unloading bags, cheerful, kind, always happy to help a lost tourist.
--room service: they have room service basically 24 hours a day (with limited menus depending on the hour) and were always quick to deliver.
-- cleanliness of grounds: the grounds, the beach, the pool, all kept clean and neat. There was always someone working on upkeep.
-- security: I always saw a security guard,no matter what hour of the day it was. They were non intimidating but were around. Also this resort is basically in 24 hour lockdown, no one comes in from the outside without a room number referral.
-- the spa: I had the hot stone/aromatherapy massage, 80 mins, and it was just amazing. I paid for it, obviously, but not much more than I would've at my home spa.
-- the food: the buffets are nice, I ate so much sushi and fresh fruit! The buffets change daily so you only eat the same stuff if you want to. Also, Aqua was great! Try the lobster risotto if you get a chance. Gabi beach was the buffet we went to most of the time and it's a nice casual place were you can roll off the beach, throw a shawl over your swimsuit, go eat, and then go back to the beach.
--ATM in lobby: it does only give out pesos BUT there is an exchange he service in the lobby across from the gift shop. Just have your passports handy to do this.
--cigar service in lobby: nice guys! Decent price!0

The "just okay"
--parasailing: first off, go to the main building on the resort beach (the large white building) to book this and just say "no gracias" and walk away from anyone who approaches you at the beach. The guys who work at the paradisus beach who book these wear white shirts with a red logo, NOT grey shirts. The parasailing was fun, not worth the money for five minutes of air time and a rushed on/off boat ride... which was intimidating and a bit scary for me.
-- the maid service/mini bar: very spotty! We had a few days of clean, in/out of room by noon and then a day where we had to ask to have it cleaned. We never got our bedding changed and there were days where towels would sit In our shower well into the afternoon waiting to be cleaned. The mini bar guy was MUCH more consistent! He was in and out every morning before noon. The maids were always nice and cheerful though!
--the trams: we didn't know about the trams until we saw a bunch of random people get on one and go. They are nice if you are willing to wait, and are really nice on muggy days, but reliability is spotty;I walked past one that was stranded with no driver and a bunch of people on it. Apparently it had broken down somehow, which doesn't surprise me given the state of these things. The drivers are always nice though, a good couple of guys who are willing to stop wherever to pick you up or drop you off. There main stops are the front lobby, gabi beach and the reserve.
-- the drinks: I get that the liquor isn't going to be top shelf, and I get that the drinks are going to be weak, but when I have a pina colada and I literally only taste pineapple, we have a problem. When rum and coke tastes like coke with lime in it and not even a hint of rum, that's an issue. They are "free" though, so I understand why drinks are made this way.
--the shuttle/mall: we weren't told about this at all and found out about the shuttle in a very round about way. I'm not going to review the mall, but it's nice that shuttle service with semi flexible run times is available.
--the vouchers: we found out about resort credits in a really round about way, you have to get them from the concierge in the lobby. Don't get too excited about these as they aren't as good as they seem. For a large group they might be more useful, but for us not so much. I used one on my massage, which did help cut cost, but otherwise they were pretty useless.
--the gift shop: overpriced, which is typical of any touristy place, but the art work is fair priced. Don't buy toiletries here, sunscreen alone will set you back up to thirty bucks a tube; just be brave brave and take the shuttle to the mall to get stuff like that. The mall has a Spanish speaking supermarket attached to it that takes both pesos and credit but nothing else. Save the gift shop for stuff like homemade artworks and cigars.

The bad
-- the concierge service: this was a joke! In order to eat at any restaurant that is not a buffet you have to talk to the Concierge found at Naos or the front desk. We were not told about this and were very upset our first day here when we couldn't eat because the buffets had closed and we were not told when they would reopen for supper; we asked a bartender who just said "closed" and looked at me funny when I asked when they are open, So the next day we waited in line at the concierge and were turned away because she was closing. The third day we got there early and booked three restaurants and were told to wait until the fourth day for our reservation notice. We got our notice to find only one of the three restaurants booked with a second listing for "BBQ." We had NO idea were the BBQ was or that it even existed because it wasn't one even listed on the reservation sheet and we were never told about it. The BBQ is also not on any map. The concierge lady is likely over worked and underpaided, this is NOT her fault; the blame lies with whoever organizes restaurant bookings. Quite frankly, we got screwed out of good food (only eating at Aqua for an actual sit down meal) because we were unaware we had to book restaurants. Plus I expected to be in at least two of our three choices, not just the one. We still had three full days left at that point so I was expecting more.
--lack of communication : we were whisked away to our room by an awesome bellboy the second we got off the taxi. We weren't told about nightlife, restaurants, shopping, the beach, the pool, buffet hours, nothing! We were on our own, which was miserable the first few nights because we were so clueless. Thankfully a lady told us about the Melia app, which helped us a lot! But again, that was another tourist, not hotel staff. My husband also wanted to do surfing lessons, which was a hassle because no one told him he'd have to go to a neighboring resort for that! He was left stranded in the lobby wondering where his ride was for a few hours until someone thought to make calls.
--language barrier: my Spanish is mediocre at best and the staff speaks enough English to help you with typical stuff, BUT if you need anything out of the ordinary be ready for a language barrier. This happened with my husband and the above mentioned surfing lessons; there was no way the bellboys could help him because we couldn't communicate between each other to figure things out; I am certain they wanted to help but didn't know how because we couldn't communicate. If you go to this resort, at least be semi-fluent in Spanish. You don't need to know it to order room service, more drinks, towels, etc, but I would hate to have an emergency and have a lack of communication.
--mangrove "tour": they had a few signs for this along the tram trail and I wanted to check it out. Big mistake, it's not a tour at all but just a little loop under a spider infested bridge with a big hole in the ground and fake trees. No signs explaining the types of mangroves, no info on wildlife, it's not even a hiking trail like they decorate it up to be. It's literally a hole in the ground where a water display used to be.

To summarize: I'm never coming back here again, nor am I going to suggest this resort to friends. It's not worth the money, time, or effort.

Room Tip: Try to stay as close to the beach as possible because then you are close to the restaurants and pool...
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anymoose88
Paradisus P, Gerente at Paradisus Punta Cana Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2017

Dear Guest,

First of all, allow me to thank you for choosing Paradisus Resort for your recent vacation, also for bringing to our attention your valuable comments which will help us in our efforts of refining our service.

We really appreciate your constructive feedback and on the behalf of my entire Paradisus Punta Cana team I would like to offer you our most sincere apologies for not having exceeded your expectations in reference to the points mentioned above.

We feel so proud of our service we provide but also understand there is always room for improvement and through your comments we will definitely be able to do it.
I hope to have the opportunity to show you the high standards Paradisus Punta Cana is normally know for.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any assistance.

Cordially,
Hotel Manager Paradisus Punta Cana

Write a ReviewReviews (13,438)

Reviewed 11 August 2017

Punta Cana is a relatively new resort destination and, as such, the folks at Paradisus really go the extra mile for their guests. The Royal service is an adults-only tier that provides access to a private beach, bars with premium drinks, an very good private restaurant, and your own personal butler. Our butler, Miguel, handled our dinner reservations and made sure we had champagne delivered to our room every afternoon. The food outside our private dining room was hit or miss. We did not leave the resort, so I am unable to comment on golf, adventure parks, etc. But I can say, if you are two or more adults looking for a beach-bar-pool-restaurant then back to the room to do it all again the next day, this place cannot be beat.

Stayed: August 2017
1  Thank Ann B
Paradisus P, Director General at Paradisus Punta Cana Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2017

Dear Ann B,

Receive sunny greetings from Paradisus Punta Cana.

We are very glad to know the exceptional time you had here with us at our hotel. It was and will always be a privilege to host you and spoiled all your needs, since it is our main goal to make of your vacations a memorable stay.

Thank you very much for sharing your comment with us and for have chosen us as your holiday destination.

Best regards.

Reviewed 11 August 2017

We had a great time at the Verandah in Antigua, but the Royal Service experience at the Paradisus Punta Cana has dethroned our beloved Verandah as our best all-inclusive resort experience thus far. For a frame of references, we have been to around twenty all-inclusive resorts so far. We were booked into the Reserve at Paradisus, and whether it was the fact that I am a Melia Rewards member, the fact that we were traveling with a group of six people in their thirties without any children and they wanted us out of the quite Reserve area, or the fact they overbooked, we were upgraded on arrival to the Royal Service at the Paradisus. The Melia Rewards card is free, so you might as well sign up for that before visiting one of their properties, in case that was the trick to the free upgrade.

The only complaint was that the check in process took a very, very long time without any communication. At one point I went up to our check in agent to make sure everything was okay (and that they had not lost our reservation or were over booked). There are snacks, a flat screen television, and computers in the Reserve front desk, but after a long plane ride and a short bus ride, and all of that time in the airport, we just wanted to get into our room and down to the beach. The wait was worth it because we were transferred closer to the beach and received the access bracelets for both the Royal Service and the Reserve. We had to wait again in the Royal Service lobby to meet our butler Miguel, but that lobby was stocked with a full bar and even more finger foods to keep us occupied.

Miguel was great, though we were at a loss as to what we needed him to help us do. He booked us our restaurant reservations, and was kind enough to re-schedule those reservations when we changed our plans. At one point Miguel recommended that we utilize him more and ask for more perks. Our reply was, “what should we even ask for?” He suggested champagne on ice in our rooms, which was a great idea.

The Reserve at the Paradisus Punta Cana and the Paradisus itself are attached and a short walk away. The Reserve was beautiful, and I would definitely recommend it for children. I saw a number of families utilize their concierge to do family and baby photo shoots, which looked like they produced some great memories. We utilized the services at both resorts during our stay.

The Royal Service portion of the Paradisus had a really nice small pool with in-water huts and loungers. There were day beds around the outside, and you could have your butler reserve them. There were also daybeds on the beach, and a variety of shade and non-shade options. They didn’t kick non-Royal Service people out of that area, and very nicely showed children and their families to one of the other pools. If you are an adult, check it out even if you did not reserve Royal Service.

The service was great at the pool bar, and for when they were busy they would put bottles of alcohol on ice with mixes in a “help yourself,” set up. The liquor at the resort is all the usual high-end name brands. The vodka was Grey Goose. The whiskey was Johnny Walker Black Label or Red Label. They had the knock off Bailey’s, but if you asked for the real stuff they would get it out of the fridge. The beer was local but they also had Coors Lite and Heineken.

The food at this resort was amazing, even the breakfast buffet at the Gabi Beach restaurant. The La Palapa was one our favourites. We loved that you could go there for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The Grill, Aqua, Mole, were all awesome as well. We tried most of the other restaurants, including “the Winery – Tapas and Wine Experience”, which is not included in the all-inclusive. It was great too, but I probably would not pay for it again.

In the front lobby there was nightly entertainment, including an awesome Queen cover band one night. The Gabi Beach Bar was fun, with professional go-go dancers and DJs on the beach some nights. We would always end our night in the M Bar where Alexis and another bartender, whose name is escaping me, would keep us entertained perhaps too late into the evenings. Other bartenders of note are Junior, Juan, and Diogenes “Aye Aye Aye”!

The gym was well equipped. There is a spinning studio with room to do cardio, pilates, yoga or anything else for which wide open space is good for to the left. They put the spin bikes into the larger pool for in-water spinning classes, so they are a bit… abused. But the place has a spin studio in the first place, so it is hard to complain about older bikes. To the right is a room with several treadmills, two spin bikes, several weight machines, and three benches with free weights. The room to the right had a number of flat screen televisions which were usually programmed to sports to keep you entertained while you put in your kilometres.

The rooms we were in were very spacious with a small living room. We would receive alcohol, water, pop, and snacks in the room each day. The rooms also had what was essentially a private backyard with a daybed in the back.

The beach was beautiful and white, a blue ribbon recipient, and it does not have any of the erosion issues some of the other Punta Cana resorts have.

We definitely would return and we now pay more attention when booking to Melia owned properties, and specifically the Reserve and Paradisus options. The Royal Service experience was so great, I am not sure I would pay more for a Sandals in the future at this stage in our lives.

Room Tip: Royal Service rooms are close to the beach
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank sharperadar

Dear Sharperadar,

With a great weather at Paradisus Punta Cana, receive our best regards.

To receive your comments is just the best recognition for all our team, who are always giving their all in order to make the best of your stay and make you experience the pure enjoyment of freedom style at our property.

We dearly appreciate your positive feedback and we are more than proud of Miguel, Alexis, Junior, Juan, and Diogenes for being so awesome and accommodating, they will be so happy to know that they were beyond to your expetaction.

Feel free to come any time of the year and our services and facilities will be always at your disposal.

Reviewed 11 August 2017 via mobile

I really enjoyed my stay in this resort- great food, drinks, and people everywhere! M bar had awesome and beautiful drinks- loved the staff they're so friendly and funny. So glad I got to meet Alexis Nunez, Elizabeth Diaz, kelvin hilario, and Simon confidant!! I can't wait to come back again for another stay!

Dear Meenal U,

With a great weather at Paradisus Punta Cana, receive our best regards.

We dearly appreciate your positive feedback and we are more than proud of Alexis Nunez, Elizabeth Diaz, Kelvin Hilario, and Simon for being so awesome and accommodating, they will be so happy to know that they were beyond to your expetaction

Reviewed 11 August 2017 via mobile

Just wanted to note that I had a great experience when reserving my family dinners at the Paradisus Punta Cana.

This is the first hotel of many that I had to take about 20 min of my time during our entire stay to plan our dinners at the various restaurants offered at this beautiful resort.

The team I dealt with during our stay in August was - Isamar Pulinario and Joely Diroche. Thank you very much for your great work Ladies! Keep it up!

Rosalba

Dear Rpino88,

We appreciate very much your feedback regarding your stay at Paradisus Punta Cana; it is always good to know that our guests are meeting their expectations with us.

We would also like to thank you for selecting us, we are happy to know that our beautiful facilities and our sincere service made us an Amazing Resort for you.

We already congratulate Isamar Pulinario and Joely Diroche for their good job during your stay

Please do not hesitate to contact us for your next visit, we will more than happy to assist you once again.

Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

We were in room 2058. We arrived from California at 11:45 pm. After the long flight, arriving to the beautiful romantic ambiance was relaxing. First night room service not impressive but I guess can't express much that time of night. From that point on, vacation was perfect. Everyone was always willing to help. The hostesses at Gabi Beach restaurant are wonderful. Remembered all my family members. Notable individuals include Aida, Kendry, Raquel (housekeeper). Also Francisco at Vento and staff at Mole. When we approached our room, staff always offered to carry our baby stroller to our room. They genuinely want to help. Now the fun part...Roberto and Eduardo! I visited the pool for the first time on vacation on Friday and they invited me to participate on the kayak aerobics. I loved them!!! They get four stars! Made my vacation so fun. Now I exercise on a balance ball- inspired by them:) My son and husband played basketball at night. One of the staff coached him on how to improve. Loved the place and people so much that we definitely will come back in future.

Dear Hapiwifenmom,

What a excellent review !! I would like to thank you for giving us a good rating on TripAdvisor based on your experience at our resort. This is the best reward we can get from our guests, we do appreciate it. It is as wonderful to read your comment concerning the good times you spent in our resort.

I appreciate that you took the time to write and let us know your comments on the staff and the hotel and also for bring to our attention these points of improvement that help us to be better everyday .

We will congratulate Aida, Kendry, Raquel, Francisco, Roberto and Eduardo for their marvelous treatment and attention during your stay.

We hope to see you back soon for another great experience.

Reviewed 10 August 2017

We just returned from there after a 4 night stay. The hotel and grounds were very nice. We liked the private beach, pool & restaurant for the Royal Service Guests. The private butler wasn't all that it was made up to be, it's more like a direct contact to a concierge. We found it necessary to stay on top of things because a few things got overlooked, but all in all she did a good job. Some of the staff went out of there way to be friendly and helpful, like Isydro B. who was one of the tram drivers and our maid Yajaira de Jesus Olea. We booked an excursion from the pool area stand and missed the bus because nobody explained who we needed to watch out for. When I called the hotel they transferred me to the concierge, the man seemed nice and said he would check into it and come look for me at the reception area, I waited about 15 minutes and found him at his desk. He said he was just about to come look for me, but he lied. His partner was a big help and arranged for the supervisor of the excursion company who got us on the schedule the next, although we had to wait for an hour. I found most of the staff very friendly, except for just a few. I would recommend the resort.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Paradisus P, Gerente at Paradisus Punta Cana Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2017

Dear John L,

Receive a sunny greeting from Paradisus Punta Cana, thanks for have chosen us.

I would like to start by thanking you for your warm words, we all get so happy to read your comment as it is a proof that we are doubtless achieving our main goal which is our guest’s total satisfaction.

Isydro B and Yajaira de Jesus Olea will be personally congratulated by me for such an excellent job done, they are always in the best disposition to accommodate all of our visitors and be able to welcome them back at our paradise on earth.

We highly appreciate your opinion about our services and accommodations, we will waiting for your return.

Best regards.