“Very nice place”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Cleveland, Ohio
“Very nice place”
Reviewed 1 March 2012

First of all, I would like to say thank you to Daniel from a front desk. I wish everybody will do their job so professional like him. He just made our vacation unforgettable.Also I would like to thanks people from Chinese restaurant, who brought specially for us the meal to the Chopin restaurant(could you ask for better services?). I don't know what people complain about, but we had party of 9 people and everybody ready to go back. Food is very good, the grounds are amazing, the people are nice and helpful, they try to do everything to make your vacation perfect .It is not a 6* hotel,but you fill like V.I.P. person there.If you like a beach,good food and beautiful people - go for it. It was some negative experience there with a door key,but they fixed this problem. I believe, the management need to place a phone outside of the room in case of any problem with a key, that people can contact the main lobby. Another bad experience was with Apple vacation representative, who is almost ruin our vacation.It is shame, that just a one or few people can destroyed a very hard job of huge company, like Apple vacation.

12 Thank 903travel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,885)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Boston
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Great place to spend nice time with año company: friends, couple, family.. I have been gong with my family the last 3 years I will repeat! The best? tHE ENTERTEiNMENT TEAM: especially MELVIN, ROBERT, DARÍO, MANUEL AND ANA LENY!!!!

Room Tip: Near the bit pool 351 or 352!!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Itziar D
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Just got back from 8 days at the Princess. This was my second visit, so it's obvious that I liked it before and it did not disapoint this time either.

The grounds are very nice and I always saw workers cleaning or whatever. It does make a difference being in a site that looks nice all around oneself.

I stayed tin the junior suite the first time and this time in a full suite. Both I found spacious and clean. Junior suites are at the top of the site close to the "quieter" pool and lobby buffet restaurant but far from the beach. Vice versa for most of the full suites. Full suites 48 49 and above are up the site as well and I would avoid these if you are a beach person. Mini bar was restocked every day. Safe wouldn't work on the 3rd day and after two calls the "safe" guy showed up and fixed it quickly.

The man then warned us to ensure we put our valuables in the safe, including glasses - aparently eyeglass frames are expensive there so it is of interest. I experienced no theft in the room but apparently it is a problem if the staff are warning you about it.

I liked not being in a suite on top of the beach in order to avoid the beach music [daytime only] from the Princess as well as the hotel next door [which was VERY loud - reading week so it may have been an exception]. Suites in the teens through to 47 are sort of in the middle [I was in unit 26 and it was a short walk to the beach].

The beach is awesome - goes on for miles of clean white sand. Unfortunatley my buddy had his towel stolen so not all the thieves down there are locals. Cost him $20

Food was consistently good. The main buffet was nice and quite varied. The a la carte restaurants were OK but nothing to write home about, with the exception of El Gaucho which was great. Before one had to line up in the morning to sign up for the restaurants [except the Platinum suites] but that is now changed. Go to whichever one you want and sign in - if there is a line up they can usually give an idea of how long to wait. This was one of the big draws for Platinum as far as I could see and now it is gone. Without that perk personally I'd rather keep the extra money in my pocket.

Service at bars - good to very good. Can be crowded so you go with the flow.

front desk - spoke English and were fairly efficient

Room Tip: suites in teens up to 47 are closer to the beach but not on the beach [and not near the beach music]
8 Thank Bob-frm-Toronto
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Just came back from that resort.!!!! Terrrrrribble service!!!!!! Bad food quality !!!!!!!!! Almost mo veggies and fruits!!!!!! The worst experience EVER!!!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank diana O
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 28 February 2012

So I have been reading reviews on this place since I booked it in jan. I just got off the plane about a hour ago. I told myself I wouldnt nit-pick the small things but this trip was so poor that I have to just to be honest. We were trying to get ahold of them from the time we booked to get a updated room because we upgraded....nobody would ever respond.... not a big deal. We get there and they put us in the 900 series rooms.... old ones that smell musty and the bedding is from the 70's. We asked to be moved and they had to problym but stated that it wouldnt happen until the next day. The next day comes around and we are moved. Go to use the safe and it wouldnt work... they came and fixed it... no problym. My girlfriend goes to use the hairdryer and that doesnt work... they got us a different one... no issues. When she is getting ready she ACCIDENTALLY dropped her perfume in the sink and it cracked the sink. I called them and they replaced it. The following 2 nights after the sink was supposedly fixed our floor was flooded in the bathroom on back to back nights. I go to the front desk to check out today and they told me I had to pay for the sink($150). There is never a manager or someone in charge of this place that you can talk to to fix issues. Then they called all the security guards to the front of the resort to try to keep my from catching my shuttle until I paid for it.... it was a accident. The last time I checked a sink should be able to sustain a little bit more on an impact then a bottle of perfume hitting it. There were atleast 8 security guards there. It was all a joke.... then they said that if i paid them $100 it would be ok. I refused. I eventually paid $70 before I ended up in a domiinican jail. I am sure those crooked people working the front desk area just split up that whopping $70. CROOKS!! Onto the good things about this resort. The grounds are amazing and well taken care of. The food was good. We went to licey, the italian place, the steakhouse, and the japanese habachi bar. Breakfast and lunch we ate at the buffet down be the ocean and it was all good. All were fantastic. The servers, bartenders and ground crews were all nice, remembered who you were and what you liked to drink. Carlos, Sanchez, Jose and Raffe all took good care of us. One more note, shortly after we checked in we went for a walk and forgot to lock up some jewelery(a couple watches and necklaces), didnt think anything about it and they my girlfriend was second guessing herself if she had even brought it. Well the answer is Yes she did bring it and do we dont have it anymore. From the time we checked in until later that night when some p**** brought us a bottle of rum and a fruit basket they made off with some jewelery. Like I said i told myself I wouldnt nit-pick but these issues cannot be ignored. I would NEVER give this place anymore of my money.

Room Tip: go platinum
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
10 Thank jasonw788
Novelty, Ohio
Reviewed 28 February 2012

My husband and I spent the week of Feb.10-17, 2012 at the Bavaro Princess All Suites resort. We had chosen this resort for its natural rain forest beauty, as its photographs depicted lush foliage, tropical ambiance, and a fabulous white sand beach. As fairskinned Ohioans who will never suntan, we needed shade to prevent further skin cancer, but sought a beautiful green escape from the bleak snows of winter. We were not disappointed; the grounds were gorgeous and the ecological preserve a pleasant walk. We had booked the Platinum level, but initially our room was far from the ocean and had problems. The Platinum concierges Michael and Martires graciously remedied that by transferring us to an oceanview room 756 the next day. They also arranged for our reservations at the specialty restaurants. We especially enjoyed our supper at the elegant Licey. As we dined at the Chopin Restaurant, we were charmed to be serenaded by a pianist, who floated by in a small boat as he played romantic ballads on a keyboard fitted into the shell of a piano. We also enjoyed our meal at the Chinese Sakura, which has a delightful entrance. We ate at the Bella Pasta 3 times, because the service, canneloni, and lasagna were fantastic. In fact, the service at all the restaurants was great; the Dominicans were delightful, eager to serve, anticipating our culinary needs. We ate breakfast at the El Gaucho, where the freshly made doughnuts were wonderful. The lunch buffet there had something for everyone. Twice we ate hamburgers from the McPrincess at the beach, and these burgers were enormous! The personnel at the bar for the Platinum beach section were very nice and provided good service. Even though we had Platinum status, I found it challenging to find a shady palapa, if I did not get out to the beach by 7:15 each morning and stake a claim to 2 lounge chairs. Perhaps because it was the week of Valentine's Day by 7:30 am over 70% of the Platinum beach lounge chairs were "claimed" by towels, only those chairs in the total sun unclaimed. I would love to see the lounge chair competition resolved somehow where it did not require rising at 7 am to claim a shady site. The ocean at Bavaro beach had powerful waves 2 stormy days when we were there, resulting in dramatic photographs, but minimal swimming. The other days were gorgeous. The large pool near the beach had clear turquoise water and provided swimming opportunities on the stormier days. We loved the wandering peacocks and avian population of the Bavaro Princess. Just walking around this huge resort was a delight because of the flora and fauna. Our trip was through Apple vacations, but the agent there was concerned with selling shore excursions and facilitating a wedding party. Maybe being Platinum guests isolated us from the communications and invitations that we should have gotten as Apple customers. Still we would highly recommend this resort to people who love the beauty of nature and appreciate the gracious service of the Dominican people.

Room Tip: Buildings 74 and 75 are very close to the beach. Room 704 had a view of the maids' building roo...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Shadelovers
Amherstburg, Canada
Reviewed 27 February 2012

We travelled in a large group (20+) people with Apple Vacations from Detroit to attend a wedding. This is a very nice, well maintained, LARGE resort that can be easily accessed with their tram system.
ROOM: We booked a suite in the Platinum section and our room was beautiful and close to the beach. Everything you could want in a suite was available with king bed (a bit hard), stocked fridge and bar, coffee maker, toiletries, robes, slippers, great bedding and towels, jacuzzi tub, safe, iron, hairblower, flat screen tv and dvd player. Our maid service was excellent and she well deserved the daily tips. We had no trouble with items missing from our room.
BEACH/POOL: The beach at this resort is great for swimming, walking and sunbathing. Plenty of beds and chaise lounges to go around even though the resort was at capacity. I thoroughly enjoyed the daily walks and watching the watersport activities going on. There are plenty of areas to relax or participate. The ocean side pool area is a great place to cool off and grab a drink at the swimup. There is a quiet pool at the front of the resort but not too much acitivity there.
FOOD: No one will go hungry at this resort. There is a very diverse travel crowd from around the world here so the food represents that. Fresh fruit, omelet bars, pasta bars, seafood, breads and pastry, chicken, beef, pork, Italian, Japanese, French, Russian and Mexican menus which change constantly. I especially enjoyed Licey's (reservations required). Very good lobster dinner with professional presentation. It appeared that McPrincess snack bar at the beach was a big hit with massive burgers and fries.
WEDDING EXPERIENCE: Simply lovely. There was no detail overlooked. A horse and buggy brought the bride to the wedding gazebo. The ceremony was roughly 15 minutes and the festivities began. The area was private for us with strolling musicians and waiter service, appetizers and full bar. After pictures, we were taken to a private area on the beach where we enjoyed a full buffet dinner which included lobster, calamari, steak, chicken, pork, salads and the perfect wedding cake. The rest of the night was filled with great music and a lot of dancing. EVERYONE had a fantastic time - staff included. What a fun night and a very memorable wedding.
NIGHT LIFE: All activities at night are held in the main lobby. A few good shows, a few not so good, it is however a nice spot to gather after a late dinner and mingle, dance or just wind down. A few in our group travelled over to the casino which is located at the gates of the resort. None of us had energy left for the disco.
SHOPPING: There is a market of open air shops outside the gates of the resort. The vendors are very aggresive to sell but do shop around and barter for your best price. It's a part of the experience.
Overall, this was a very good destination and a great holiday.

Room Tip: Go Platinum.
4 Thank jagmor