“5-Trident was amazing!”

Club Med Punta Cana
Ranked #42 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 24 April 2011

We stayed at Club Med Punta Cana from April 16-23 in one of the new 5-Trident suites around the private infinity pool and Perle Bar.

This is the third Club Med resort I have visited - Ixtapa (before recent rennovation) and Cancun (before it was upgraded to 5-Trident).

The Punta Cana location was my favorite, but I only place it ahead of Ixtapa because the beach in DR is private to Club Med.

The new 5-trident suites are very nice. All right on the ocean (literally 20 feet away). Some are nearer the pool and Perle bar, others a little further away, but all within a minute's walk, and all on the ocean. The suites are all numbered in the 900s. the lowest number being closest to the rear entrance of one of the two restaurants - Hispaniola. It's not really noisy, but busy. The higher 900s are closer to the public beach, which has one or two LOUD parties until 2am. Whilst we were not really 'annoyed' by the music, it was hard to miss the booming base and definitely did disturb some guests. The rooms had two bathrooms, one room with 2 twin beds, the other a master bedroom.

Rooms in the 5-trident area had computers with internet service at not charge. This was amazing. There was also wifi ... and a password was provided at check-in.

5-trident guests have their own concierge and check-in. This was convenient and civilized - fast service, no waiting around. I immediately felt special on arrival!

The Perle bar has live music every weekday night, and serves complimentary french champagne to 5-trident guests between 6-11pm. The towel guy set out towels on loungers, bringing new towels when needed, and moving sun umbrella's if requested. One bar-man was particularly attentive, regularly stopping by loungers and taking drink orders ... delivering them soon after. This was really lovely. When the staff changed mid-week, his replacement did not do the same, so we were pleased to see him return a couple days later!

The infinity pool was lovely, with a life-guard on duty between 10am and 6pm. We noted that if you want to sit right next to the pool on one of two decks set out with loungers and umbrella's .. you'll have to get up and put something (a book, bag, etc) on the lounger before 7.30am. The pool was clean ... not to warm ... but very welcome in the heat of the day. It was never crowded since it serves only the 5-trident rooms

The food was the best of the 3 resorts we have visited. Particularly the fish - which was very fresh and varied. We never had any kind of tummy upset - and there were 4 of us. Unlike other resorts, daily selections did vary slightly ... and the food at the other on-site restaurant - Samana - did seem just a little better than Hispaniola.

Hispaniola is open air, and the birds did both some people. The resort have clearly made an attempt to prevent them entering the dining room by stringing fine wires across open windows. Unfortunately, birds learn, and they easily skip right through ... which is also not helped by many children who throw crumbs .... Some people were off-put by the birds, who pecked at bread and other dishes before being chased off by staff. It really didn't bother me (although I did avoid the bread section at lunchtime) - this is an open air tropical restaurant after all. (The other restaurant is enclosed, so this did not occur there.)

My husband and son went scuba diving several times. The diving is not an included activity, and 7 dives was close to $600. The reef is in bad shape - definitely not comparable to Turks & Caicos diving or Jamaica (which wasn't that great either!). The dive staff were great, however, and clearly expert in detecting nervous divers and other situations needing attention.

For those of you with daughters who intend on getting hair beaded/braided ... please read!! MAKE AN APPOINTMENT ! There is only one lady beading at any given time (not on Mondays). Make an appointment for a couple of days time, and make sure you turn up 10 minutes early. To get a half head of braids takes about an hour and costs about $60. Individual braids are about $3 each. There were more arguments between parents at the beading station, than anywhere else on the resort!

Contrary to other comments, there were not too many topless bathers on the beach. There were none around the 5-trident pool. I would have like to get a more 'all-over' tan ... but it was clear this would have been out of place around the 5-trident pool.

Over half of the guests were French speaking, quite a few staff members did not speak any English at all. Be prepared to be patient ... and try out the few words you many know in Spanish or French. It is much appreciated!

My children enjoyed the teen camp (they are 11 and 12 years old). I had no issue letting them meet friends for dinner or dine with their GO's.

This is a wonderful, friendly, safe resort (but do put valuables in the in-room safes).

Remember, it's a tropical, humid environment - there are ants here and there, not too many mosquitos (but definitely a few). This is not just a hotter version of down-town USA !! Transfer from the airport is literally 5 minutes. The planes land and take-off in the other direction to the resort, so there is little or no airport noise.

Improvements:
I would ban smoking on the deck in the Hispaniola restaurant - people could easily step off the deck and out of the restaurant if they were 'that' desperate for a cigarette during lunch.
Add another bar near the Hispaniola end of the beach.
Allow 5-trident guests to reserve a table in advance - we were told that was only possible if there were 6 or more in our party.
Please put a shower in the master bedroom of the 5-trident rooms - not just the hall-way bathroom. Whilst a bath is wonderful ... most people shower, and sharing this with four members of our family when getting ready for dinner was a little 'busy'.

13  Thank Sue_near_Boston
Write a ReviewReviews (9,036)

Reviewed 23 April 2011

Do not stay here on Saturday Night. Party at next resort over is so loud that in or 5 trident suite with doors closed wehad to talk louder. I caan not believe club med has no pull in getting next door to be quiet down. I have been to many resirts and am not a light sleeper. The music is so loud right now it is making my wife and I avtually laugh. When call to switch rooms they told me this happens once a week and they usually try to move the 5 trident space people elsewhere but tonight they are booked so they say there is nothing they can do. Club med should reimburse its guests for this night. It is so loud I will post video once I get home. Stayed here 5years ago and had best family vacation ever.......

Room Tip: dont stay in 5 trident space
4  Thank NeedRelaxin
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2011

Dear NeedRelaxin,

We sincerely apologize that your vacation was not as enjoyable as your trip five years ago. At Club Med, we pride ourselves on giving our guests a relaxing getaway and are sorry to hear that the loud music kept you from that. We thank you for the time you took to write this review. Management will be made aware of this issue in hopes of resolving it. We hope that this experience will not deter you from vacationing with Club Med in the future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 22 April 2011

This was our best family vacation ever. The property, the staff, the restaurants, and above all, the children's program were wonderful. The children's program is like a camp, with varied activities which the child chooses, from 8:45am until evening, if you want. There was a staff member for roughly every three kids. Adding to the child-friendly nature of this place is that it's only five minutes from the airport. The European clientele adds to the exotic flavor. We all want to go back soon.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2011

Dear bergdoc,
Wow! We love hearing that this was your best family vacation ever! It's awesome that you took advantage of the children's program and enjoyed yourselves. We hope you'll come back and visit us again soon!

Reviewed 22 April 2011

I've been to many all inclusive resorts including Beaches, Sandals, Dream Spa Punta Cana and I feel that they are a good choice if you travel with kids. My experience has been that the food is not that great and the crowd can be a bit trashy at times. I've always thought of Club Med as a cut below--I don't know why. I booked this trip on very short notice and this was all that was available.
Here goes--
We were very surprised by the food. It was really good! There was plenty of selection and the prep and presentation were fantastic! Many of the resorts offer a wide selection of restaurants (non of which are very good) and we have a tough time deciding. There weren't many choices here and that worked out fine because what they had was terrific. I found the guests to be very nice and friendly. Everybody was very happy. The rooms were ok. They need a face lift but they were fine. The staff was very nice and accommodative. There was a bit of a language barrier as most speak Spanish and French mainly but we got along fine. I was concerned about the drinks. I'm a vodka drinker and like premium vodka. They had Stoli, which was fine for me. If you want more premium than that--you can pay for it at the bar which I thouight was a bit cheesey. The beach was beautiful! The activities are fun. There is always something to do that is fun and if relaxation is what you want--there is plenty of that too. We were there during high season and although the beach was crowded--we always got a chair. there is a much quiter section of beach on the other side of the boating which is perfect for those who want quiet.
My main complaint was that they don't have a full spa with steam rooms etc. That would be grand. They do have a comfort center which was nice where you can get a massage but we didnt go. The gym is terrible. If they would add a full spa and fully equiped gym, I would give the resort 5 stars. As it is, I will go again though.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2011

Dear pcolh,
We're thrilled that Club Med Punta Cana exceeded your expectations! That's exactly what we love to hear. Thanks for the suggestions about the gym, it is definitely noted. We can't wait to have you back again soon!

Reviewed 19 April 2011

I'm a teenager who has been to Club Med Punta Cana 7 times, and I must say, this was the best yet! Our days were spent with: My mom got up early and went exercising. She has said the exercise room isn't great, but she dealt. Then, we would swing by Hispaniola to grab some food to eat while walking (they have disposable plates, utensils, etc next to the door) , as we were always too late to actually stay to eat. Breakfast closes at 10:30. Then we would head to the beach for watersports, such as sailing, windsurfing, snorkeling, or just swimming. The sailing team-especially Maddy- was a lot of help in teaching us to windsurf when we missed the lesson. Just a tip for snorkeling-go on the swimming side of the beach. Starting at the beach bar, swim right along the rope until you see a huge concrete block. Keep swimming along the rope a little further. You should see fish soon. When you find one fish, follow it and it'll lead you to the rest. The snorkeling is an amazing experience, being surrounded by all the brightly colored tropical fish. After beach sports, we would just lay on the beach and read or swim. Then we would head to lunch, and afterwards, trapeze. Thank you so much to the Circus team! Elyse, Elisa, Gilson, Henry, Manny, we miss you so much! Especially Elyse! They're so helpful with learning new things, and will always spot you on the practice bar if you're having trouble. We would stay there from 3-6, so we could go ourselves, watch my mom, and do catches. Afterwards, we would head to the room, wash up, and go to dinner. Some may argue that the food isn't great. It isn't 5 star, but I must say I thouroghly enjoyed each buffet style meal! They had everything from chicken nuggets and french fries to Caviar-something for even the most selective palette. Afterwards was the 9:30 show. Shows aren't anything amazing.... except the Circus one. That is a must-see! Afterwards, we would do crazy signs at the bar, then to bed for another full day ahead. The rooms were nothing special, but we had no issues. My mom had a queen size bed, I had a couch, and my sister had a day bed. The room is small, but you only shower and sleep there. Nothing else. I tried Passworld/The Ramp (the teen club- ages 11-17, split into 11-13 and 14-17 for activities) one day for an hour. I was the only American kid my age, so I left and found English-speaking friends on my own. We aren't best friends now, but it was nice to have someone to hang out with. Oh, and a little tip- the Ramp has computers that the teens can use for free. So if you walk by and see that it's empty, you can just sneak in and check your email or whatever since Wifi is so expensive. That's what my mom did, anyway.
Each review expresses the activities and such, but none can reveal the true feeling of family you get while at Club Med. A lot of all inclusives offer these amenities, but Club Med is special because of everything extra they do. The G.O.s and their extreme kindness and willingness to help, Crazy Signs and the feeling of being part of something while dancing, even being able to go up to anyone (well, assuming you speak the same language) and strike up a conversation! It is impossible for those except the most cold hearted to not cry as they leave, because no one is ready to go home. If you haven't been to a Club Med, you wouldn't know the feeling. So if you don't know what I'm talking about, you need to go book a Club Med Punta Cana vacation. NOW!

Room Tip: Request the Colon building-center of resortgrounds
1  Thank NymphadoraTonks2838
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2011

Dear NymphadoraTonks2838,
Wow! We're blown away by your kind words and thoughtful review! We love that you love Club Med Punta Cana and we really appreciate all the tips and tricks you mentioned. We hope you and your family will come back and visit us again soon!

Reviewed 14 April 2011

Our family trip to Club Med Punta Cana was lovely and relaxing. One of the best things about the trip was the staff at the MiniClub. All the GO's working with the children were great but I have to single out one GO as particularly wonderful. Lucien (LuLu) took such good care of our child. Our 4 year old was terrified to be dropped off at camp and LuLu was extraordinarily patient and kind and so funny with our crying, kicking son. Our little boy, who was so reluctant to go to "camp", would explain at the end of each morning that camp had been so much FUN and we know that Lucien was responsible for that change of heart.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2011

Dear sew123,
We love hearing how wonderful your trip to Club Med Punta Cana was! It's fantastic that your little boy enjoyed the Mini Club so much. We hope you and your family come back and vacation with us again soon!

Reviewed 12 April 2011

Friendly staff, great food, good ambiance. Mostly European. Activities by the beach included various workouts, volleyball, BBQ, typically followed by good music. Reception staff can be better trained.

• Stayed: August 2010
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2011

Dear Trigeej2006,
We're glad you enjoyed Club Med Punta Cana and all of our activities so much! We hope you'll come back and vacation with us again soon!