New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Club Med Punta Cana

Club Med Punta Cana
Ranked #39 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
West Newbury, MA
“A well done family resort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

We have two boys -- 9 and 12 -- and this was our first attempt at a "family resort" (although I'd gone to a couple of singles Club Meds in my youth, so I was familiar with the whole vibe). Overall, I'd say this place is as good as you want to make it -- the facilities, services, etc. are all at your fingertips and relatively easy to access, you just have to use them. In our case, we finished the trip highly satisfied, but with a couple lessons learned. Specifically:

1) If you have kids that are around the age of our kids, chances are they'll "sort of like" the camp after the first day. We gave them a break on the second day, but then between excursions and the inevitable minor illness, they hardly went to camp at all the rest of the time, and me and the wife did not get nearly enough time without them. So...next time, I would simply set in stone the days when they're in camp (three days in a one-week stay, I think), and then plan excursions around that. None of this is Club Med's fault -- we simply didn't schedule ourselves properly for our own needs (which is what I mean when I say "it's as good as you want to make it).

2) The Dolphin Island excursion was great. The snorkeling excursion stunk (they make you wear huge life vests and if you're any kind of snorkeling it totally sucks). The reef fishing was a joke (I did all the work baiting hook, etc., while the boat guy did almost nothing). You don't catch anything bigger than your basic freshwater sunfish. If I had to do it over again, I would have tried one of the more extensive snorkeling excursions (Saone is apparently a really good trip), and I would have booked deep sea fishing for half a day (but directly with a captain -- not through Club Med. They wanted $2000 for half a day at Club Med! It's $600 if you go direct.)

3) The food was generally pretty good. Here's a critical tip -- go for the Dominican dishes. Every one I had was excellent (which makes sense, since the people cooking them are Dominican!). The rest of the offerings were sort of hit or miss, but given the volume they dish out, I didn't have a problem with the quality.

4) We stayed in the Five Trident area and thought it was worth every penny. It's great to have an area where you can escape the mayhem and have your own pool. The bartenders were a mixed bag though...my wife never knows what she wants to drink, so it's great to have a bartender who can actually suggest something. Some of them could, others were clueless.

5) I wish there were some sort of written resort guide in the room. We spent a lot of time doing "trial and error" because we didn't know how things worked. They sort of explain stuff when you check in, but then you're on your own. I think Club Med should hire a good writer to crank out some "how to get the most out of your vacation" guides for the rooms.

Overall, I didn't feel like we were left wanting for anything at this Club Med -- basically, if you can't have a good time here, you just can't have a good time. There were some annoyances, but when you put 700 family members together in a constrained space, you should assume those are going to happen. We'll be back.

Room Tip: Splurge for the Tiara (Five Trident)
1 Thank Andy M
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this review, 9 March 2012
Dear Andy M,
Thanks so much for taking the time to write us a review. We're pleased to hear there were aspects of your stay with us that you greatly enjoyed like the Dolphin Island excursion, Dominican dishes, and accommodations. We're sorry, however, that there were a few issues with your vacation. Please know we are addressing your comments immediately. We're so glad you'll be back. We can't wait to have your family with us again!
Your Club Med Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (584)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

This was the first time that we have ever gone to any Club Med, but my family (husband and 6 year old) are frequent travelers. For the past 4 years, we have stayed at a few all-inclusive resorts to ensure that the adults get some adult time, while our child enjoys herself as well. We traveled with my mother-in-law (in a separate room), and another family of 4.

We traveled at one of the busiest times of the year (Feb winter school vacation), so I expected a few bumps due to the high volume of people. We arrived at noon, but our room was not ready. We had access to our bathing suits, however, and so we used the courtesy room until our room was ready at about 3:30pm. This was all expected and fine. We stayed in room 650, and had been asked when we booked (back in October) if we wanted to have our mother in a nearby room. When she was placed in the 100s block (across the campus), we were frustrated. Honestly, it would have been better if the planner had never given us the option at all. The room was a bit moldy and run down, and my mother-in-law's room, although pretty, did not have working air-conditioning. Not a great start.

The food, while I find it a bit bland in general, is actually quite good for a resort that has to cater to many needs. Every day, we had fresh vegetables and fresh fruit, which, considering the volume of people going through, is no small feat. The salad station was my favorite. The Hispanola restaurant in the evening, although pretty, has too-bright lighting everywhere except the back deck. By making the back room a bit darker, they could expand their beautiful back deck seating options without having to modify anything.

The crown jewel of the vacation, however, is the Mini Club Med. I didn't realize how important the individuals within the program would be, but I now realize that they made all the difference in the world to my daughter. The group is known as Couscous, and the leader (I believe he is known as JuJu) is charming, warm, and runs exactly the type of program that I feel comfortable leaving my child in. They gave my daughter activity options every day. She loved the trapeze and the entertaining nightly shows. The leader of the 6-7 year olds is named LuLu (his full name was Lucien) was by far the best part of the vacation. He constantly entertained the children and, within a day, my daughter was begging to go back to the mini club med each morning and evening. He seemed to be an endless font of energy, songs, and fun. At the end of each night, he would also dance and act in a fantastic kid's show. If LuLu is there next year, we are definitely going back, and bringing more friends. He and his team turned a "good" trip into a "we must go back". Although a bit large, it was the best all-inclusive that we have been to, primarily because of the children's program.

A couple of other items: the scuba diving, while close, is "ok". The reef is a bit dead, but the fish are great. Swimming with dolphins, while expensive, is really a fun option.

Dear MelanieBoston,
Thanks so much for leaving us a review about your recent stay at Club Med Punta Cana. We're so happy to hear about your wonderful experience with Mini Club Med - especially your daughters! We take great pride in the activities and wonderful staff Mini Club Med offers, and we're so happy your daughter made wonderful memories. We apologize that you were not pleased with your room and that you feel our food was lacking in some aspects. Thank you again for your input. We hope you and your family will come back to create many more amazing memories soon!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

This was our forth time with Club Med Punta Cana. The place is amazing! We love our vacation from the moment we book it, and feel so sad to leave every year. The five trident area is beautiful starting with reception and ending with the pool, the private beach and bar and the comfortable suites. The suites were mostly clean though the bathtub was somewhat rusty and we had some roaches running around, nothing too severe. Our favorite part is of course Couscous Club with the amazing team including Carl, LuLu, Josni, Alexander, Vicky,Roger, Obed, Lionel, Mark, Alban and JuJu who runs the show and is devoted and caring and funny and so nice. An incredible team that does an amazing job, thank you! This time our boys wanted to better their tennis skills. With the help of Dan we were able to schedule daily private sessions with NELSON who worked with the boys tirelessly, patiently and professionally. They love him and want to return next year to work with him again. The attention he gave them over sessions and in between sessions especially during dinner on our last night has touched our hearts and made this stay even more unforgettable. Thank you Nelson! The only unfortunate occurrence we had was with Jessi from the archery. She was rude and mean to our young son who returned crying after a session with her. She did not try to comfort him even after I came to speak with her personally as my son's reaction was so extreme and atypical to our week there. She should learn to work with children and be warmer and more caring towards them. It is unfortunate. Overall, the best vacation ever,  we will probably be back next year again to play with Couscous team and Nelson, to swim in the sea and the beautiful pools, to eat at the great restaurant and to create more lovely memories!

Room Tip: Five Trident area is beautiful!
1 Thank nyc2kids
Scarsdale, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

We just go back from a family vacation to Club Med Punta Cana (our children are 6 and 9). While the place has its strengths, it was actually somewhat disappointing.

On the plus side, the kids basically enjoyed the many activities at the kids' club (where else can a 6-year-old choose between archery, swimming, and circus, for example), and they made some really nice friends there. They did, however, struggle somewhat with language issues. Most of the visitors to Club Med Punta Cana are French speaking, and as a result, the kids' club staff are mostly Haitian. In general, they were upbeat, energetic, and very responsible. Unfortunately, however, while their confidence in their English skills is not at all lacking, their actual command of the language left a lot to be desired. For me personally, this was not generally a big problem, since I also speak French. But our kids only speak English, so they struggled at times to understand the counselors and to make friends at the club. As a result, the English and French speaking kids tended to become segregated, sometimes looking at each other longingly, wanting to play, but not being able to communicate.

The beach was beautiful with azure water and soft sand, and the weather was ideal. We really enjoyed taking out the sea kayaks. We also took a sailing lesson and did a little snorkeling. It was, however, difficult to get a chair on the beach (and even more difficult at the pool), given that people thought nothing of "reserving" a seat by putting their towels down early in the morning and not returning for hours. While the policy of the resort was that chairs should not be unattended for more than 45 minutes, I never actually saw the staff enforce that policy. There was a "pool boy" who was supposed to take drink orders from the pool and beach, but in my entire one week stay, I probably was able to flag one down only twice. There was, in addition, very little shade to be found. There are a few umbrellas at the pool (which you apparently need to be ready to stake out at 6 a.m.). There are no umbrellas at the beach, only a few palm trees.

The food is all buffet-style. There are no table service restaurants on the resort. There was really no service to speak of at the restaurants. In the morning, it was difficult to get someone to bring you coffee (it comes in carafes, not self-service). In the evening, it was difficult to get someone to bring you wine (in bottles, supposedly to be brought to your table). Tables at Hispanolia (the open-air restaurant) were not wiped down after one family got up and another sat down. This was disturbing, given that there are tons of kids around, some of whom are obviously sick and coughing all over the tables. In addition, the tables were rarely set with enough glasses, cutlery and napkins (you usually had to swipe what you needed from an adjacent table). The glasses always seemed dirty.

The quality of the food really varied. The Dominican food -- which uses fresh local ingredients -- was the best. The eggs, also local, were quite good too. There was always fresh fruit and nice cheese. Some of the meats, however ambitiously prepared, were tough and overcooked. The fish was uniformly "fishy" tasting. The sushi ranged from weird (made with tuna salad) to scary. We spoke to a manager, who explained that all of the meat and fish (not chicken) is actually frozen and flown in. They do this for health reasons (apparently they cannot safely source local meat and fish), but if you are interested in eating fresh, local food, this is not the place.

Our room was okay. The set up was pretty good -- a small room for the kids with twin day beds, a separate room with a king sized bed for us, and a fairly spacious, modern bathroom with a shower and tub. We had a nice little balcony with ocean views as well. The bed was quite comfortable. The room was, however, very dimly lit and showed several signs of wear and tear. The walls had a lot of dirty spots of goodness-knows-what, and fingerprints, and the toilet area was really dusty and dingy. At one point the single light in the toilet area (separate from the bathroom) went out, requiring us to use the toilet while holding our phones as mini-lights so we could see in there. It only took two days and several phone calls for someone to come and replace the light bulb.

We took two excursions -- one to Altagracia (a Dominican town) and one to Saona Island. The Altagracia excursion was quite good. The guide, who is Dominican, was very interested in and knowledgeable about world culture. I felt like we got a good feel for real Dominican life, on a tour that was culturally sensitive. The Saona trip was okay. The island itself is stunningly, almost surreally beautiful. However, our guide apparently though racist jokes were funny (he pulled his eyes to the squinty position to joke that he was Japanese, and joked that we were not in danger of being eaten by crocodiles because they don't like "white meat." Hardy har har. Is this 1975?) Disappointingly, some people actually laughed, encouraging that kind of nonsense. Or, maybe they were just uncomfortable. The assistant guide was somewhat manic, constantly singing loudly and not letting people relax and be left alone (why else would we be traveling to an uninhabited island?) It was, unfortunately, impossible to honestly rate the tour, because the questionnaire is passed out and collected by the guides themselves at the end of the excursion, with no anonymity. The beauty of the sail and the beach offset some of those annoying things, but not entirely.

Finally, the spa was beautiful, quiet and relaxing. My husband and I had beach cabana massages while the kids were at kids' club, then we relaxed in the shade by the plunge pool. Best few hours of the trip.

On the whole, I was disappointed by this trip. If it had been cleaner, and the service more responsive, we would have been a lot happier. A fresh coat of paint, some additional umbrellas and chairs, and perhaps a table service restaurant also would go a long way to improving the place. If we were ever to return, it would only be to the trident section (higher level of service, more private amenities, but unfortunately already booked -- months in advance -- when we were planning our trip). But I am not even sure we would do that.

Dear MMRTrip12,
Thank you for writing us a review. We're happy to hear your children enjoyed our activities and that you enjoyed using our sea kayaks and soaking up the sun on the beach. We're also glad that you were able to take advantage of our excursions and beautiful spa. We're deeply sorry you were disappointed in your stay with us. We're addressing your concerns and working to avoid issues like those you experienced from happening in the future. Thank you again for your input. We hope your recent stay will not deter you from visiting another Club Med resort in the future.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

We are family of 5, naturalized Canadians, did backcountry camping before (no facilities), not a bunch of sissies I think, still we've found sanitary conditions of the restaurants disgusting.

As others wrote, Hispaniola: birds roam freely, peck not only on the leftovers but also on the baked goods staff just does not bother to cover. If you seat under wire where they perch you will be pooped on while eating (my 2nd day). Hispaniola is recommended for dinner as there are no birds after dark, but you will have to watch out for poop embedded in the woven placemats (where your utensils are) and on chairs. Roughly avery 4th cup is seriously under washed, check kids cups before they pour themselves a drink.

Samana: full of flies each dinner or super, especially French cheese. There are generally very few insects outdoors due to daily fumigation. Flies are just live inside Samana, leaving door wide open during meals and lack of air curtain make things worse.

What I found quite offensive and disturbing is that both problems could be solved but staff clearly does not care: Samana - few fly traps under counters and someone to open/close restaurant doors for guests, would cost few dollars a day in local wages, and would save on airconditioning and electricity too. Hispaniola has around dozen blackbirds that are clearly trained and used to eating out there, trapping and resettling them would go long way, once this is done covering the food (sometimes they run of white cloth) would prevent the return.

I agree with of most comments here, with exception of negative comments about French tourists. We were there in mid December and the French tourists we seen, both adult and children, were one of the most considerate and classy tourists I have encountered in long time (including the French in France itself). I speak no French and English is my 3rd language, had no problems communicating with guests and staff (wearing Blue not Orange)

Quick summary of other points:
- rooms large but dark, lightning very poor, 2 fixtures had loose hot wires (!), one failing apart electrical box - review room carefully if you have small kids, look under tables,
- windows/patio doors do not close 100% so if you are close to noise you may hear it,
- one gecko in the room (kind of cool), my kids loved it
- no sink in the toilet room (double clean the door handle when you checkin)
- bring your own snorkels (and/or hep vacine) and attach to masks there - snorkels aren't washed in any way just dropped in the large shared barel of fresh (!) water,
- every morning they fog for mosquitos, we seen very little mosquitos in December (malaria pills probably unnecessary)
- staff wearing blue (GM?) is top notch, both Caribbean and expats, very bright and motivated people
- local staff (wearing orange) is friendly but not useful, very slow (restaurant) and sometimes they will fake that they know the answer/understand you (reception), grab the coffee/wine yourself in the restaurants, when you need help ask person wearing blue,
- sailing school people are great, really committed to help you learn, equipment is in very good shape,
- there is a very strong current on the beach ("left to right"), especially when windy (often)
- you can see lots of colorful fish from the beach itself, swim to the buoy and hold the rope (current)
- bring lots of sunscreen,
- bring comfortable, previously worn, flip flops, trip to the beach can be long,
- Dominican Colors excursion is great and safe even for kids (~10+) way to see the 3rd world country up close,
- gardens look great, have a walk on the path behind the resort building
- pesticide use in the garden is generous (some palms have wilting twisted leaves) do not let your kids walk barefoot, especially on white gravel
- same as above for the wild north east end of the beach, sprayed for spider crab or palm shoots, not sure
- lots of security staff during the night - seems safe

Room Tip: Choose the room when booking, you will not succeed changing it by calling club med in advance, altho...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank MichaelfromOntario
Dear MichaelfromOntario,
Thank you very much for your extensive review. We deeply appreciate all points you made, and we apologize that there were aspects of your stay that made your vacation less special. We're so glad you enjoyed our sailing school, Dominican Colors excursion, and some of our staff members. Please know we're accessing and acting on your concerns about restaurants and other issues immediately to inhibit these problems from occurring in the future. Again, thank you so much for your insight. We hope to see you at another Club Med resort for a wonderful vacation in the future.
Tallahassee, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

This was my first experience at any Club Med and I was pleased overall. I would go back to this Club Med. Although it wasn't perfect, there were some glitches getting our checkout figured out the night before, everything got resolved. We had a great check-in experience, we were taken to the property and had the traditional greeting and then were walked to our room. It was a lovely handicapped equipped suite. Plenty of room to spread out and a nice sized safe to put valuables. We had a lovely porch that overlooked the ocean. There was plenty of space to lie in the shade and still hear the waves and watch the surf. the water was clear and so relaxing. i have a pool at home so I relaxed by the ocean, which was wonderful.

The staff was friendly and the food was very good in my estimation. The other guests were generally polite, although there were some teenagers who should have been in school instead of drinking beer at Club Med. This is a beautifully maintained property with gorgeous plantings and trees, well kept walkways. There were very nice excursions to go on if you paid an extra fee, which I thought was reasonable. I loved being able to see the countryside and learn more about the culture of the Dominican Republic. Gorgeous country and very lovely people. I am disabled so wasn't able to participate in many sports but I was able to practice some archery with the assistance of the wonderful Riub, who runs the archery range. What a wonderful charming fellow he is- Club Med should give him a raise. Best of all you get to dress casually pretty much all the time- a great help when packing and made the whole trip super relaxing. And the mojitos are included in the overall price- woo hoo!!

Room Tip: Get a room close to the dining rooms and with a view of the ocean. The Colon building has 3 or 4 ro...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank scoobytrips
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
Dear Scoobytrips,
We’re happy to hear that your first experience with us was an enjoyable one. It sounds like our food, friendly staff and beautiful property made your stay extra special. We’re sorry to learn that your checkout wasn’t as smooth as it should have been, but we’re happy that everything was eventually figured out. We hope to see you back soon!
Best,
Westchester, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

With Amazing Club Med Experience in the past, I wasn't sure what to expect from the reviews that I read. My family and I came back from the Club mid February and we travelled with our 2 year old and nine month old based on the excellent reputation Club Med has for the kids; and my last experience.

Throw caution to the wind, because your stay could be amazing and could be less the sub par depending on how the resort is run that week.

Firstly, the positive, the GO's are AMAZING with kids. No question. They pride themselves on that and I have no complaining about any of them and how they interact and entertain the kids. And we are very very particular with whom we entrust our children.

My husband and I cherished our mornings in peace at the far end of the beautiful beach, swimming and getting some peace and quiet.

I was determined not to let the other stuff get in the way of a vacation our family desperately needed.

The other part, the Club was dirty. No question about it. The birds were all over the food and the tables in Hispaniola Restaurant until mid stay- they finally decided to cover all the food with napkins. The food is average. But no one goes to club med for the food alone.

The service is very very very slow. No one was in any hurry to bring you anything or do you any favors. I felt as though, we were on our own. Also, not typical of Club Med. The GO's seemed a bit stressed.

The room was a bit of a disaster. It was poorly cleaned but we straightened that problem out quickly with our lovely cleaning ladies. The room was run down and their were in fact mold/ mildew and holes in certain places; and it was very poorly ventilated.

Moving on, the biggest issue in my opinion was the cleanliness and sanitary conditions of all the people and kids in this resort- it is one of Club Med's larger resorts. The resort itself- of course because it is club med- is in an amazingly beautiful location not far from the airport. It is quiet and a little piece of tropical paradise. Making the setting and travel time excellent.

Club Med really needs to get their GO team together and cohesive in this resort, perhaps re- renovate the rooms they claimed they already have- I paid for luxury accommodations- I would hate to see the less than luxury accommodations. They need to motivate their cleaning staff into sanitizing the common areas better and the rooms much better. DIRTY otherwise.

The reason why I am on the cleanliness kick is that my husband travels all over the world for work, India, Singapore etc. and he has never contracted any intestinal issues. He came home with several gastro-intestinal issues. My son, had different health related issues. Pink eye he was treated for etc.

All in all, YES, I loved my vacation ! We needed one! I cherished my mornings and enjoyed my endless cups of cupuccino's frozen margs etc. The beach is BEAUTIFUL! We loved the Brizilian Beach BBQ and the beach bar!

My husband won't go back unless he is assured the place has been cleaned better and we had a better room for what we paid.

Enjoy! They are fantastic with the kids and the babysitters are even amazing!

Room Tip: Get your room type and floor straightened out before you arrive- either with your travel agent or cl...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Boston77_12
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Dear Boston77_12,
We apologize for any inconveniences experienced during your stay. Please know that we will address your issues to the appropriate department, however should you need further assistance on this matter please contact our Guest Relations department via email at: us.guestrelations@clubmed.com.