“The Ramp!”

Ranked #44 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
Chicago, Illinois
“The Ramp!”
Reviewed 1 April 2012

The Ramp is the kids club at club med and is amazing! The staff could not be nicer (Lionel, Vanessa, Dany all deserve raises!) The food is excellent and Hugo also deserves a raise! The beach is beautiful and being with the kids club all day not only helped me make great friends but also experiences that will remain with me for the rest of my life. The only critique I would add is to put locks in the kids club because my brothers camera was stolen there. The resort is beautiful and pristine. I cannot truly express in this short review how great the staff is and how DANY, VANNESSA, DANY, and HUGO all deserve raises. The "adventures" are a little over rated like the family fishing. And finally, the rooms are very nice, but slightly small, the perfect size for 2 people. #Drose

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Dear Michael W,
It’s great to hear that both you and your children thought the kids club, The Ramp was amazing! We’re also pleased to learn that our food is excellent, the beach is beautiful and that other guests will be your friends for life. We appreciate your insights and will make sure to pass along your recommendations. Thanks for reviewing our resort. We hope you and your family will stay with us again very soon! Safe travels!

Your Club Med Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (673)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Manny, Henry, Atila, Wren and Alexandra were great. They were friendly professional and clearly enjoyed what they were doing. They are true assets to the hotel. They made the show very fun to perform in also, just like Big Papi.

Dear bigpapi123,
Wow, we truly appreciate your great review of our trapeze gang at our Club Med resort! We love involving our guests in fun activities and are thrilled our staff made your stay with us such an enjoyable one. We thank you again for reviewing our resort and hope you will visit again very soon!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 30 March 2012

We are a family of four (2 adults, 38 and 39 and 2 kids, 7 and 3). We stayed 7 nights in late March 2012. Overall, we had a fantastic trip. I was concerned with mixed reviews about the language barriers, food, cleanliness, rooms, etc. Despite a few little things, I have no real complaints. We stayed in a family club room in the Colon bldg. This was the perfect location for small kids. It was close to the restaurants, pool, reception area, but not too close to anything. Noise was never an issue. We made a special request for this building and a 2nd floor room (which are less humid and prone to moisture/mold). Our request was honored automatically. I do recommend you take your own taxi to/from the aiport. We saved nearly $40 and it was so easy and very trustworthy with all the taxi security measures in place.

Both our kids were in the mini club program and each went 4 out of our 7.5 days. The mini club is closed on Saturdays. We paid in advance for our son to be in the Petit Club (he is almost 3 now). It was pricy, but they scare you into thinking they may not have room if you don't reserve a spot. I can say that it appears they will take all kids on an pay daily basis and I wish I'd of done that, though I did not check their daily rate and it may have been significantly inflated. Our 3 year old was lukewarm to the program, mainly due to separation issues. He did cry each time and it was tough, but managed to then get engaged with the kids and activities. The GOs in the Petit Club were really great with him. There was one day when he did not get a pull-up change and he was soaked. I was a bit disappointed by that, but let it go. My son napped well there and quiet time appears to be strictly recognized in the Petit Club. He napped at least 1.5 hours each time he was there.

Our 7 year old liked the mini club too and took part in their big show (Thursday nights) and she had a great time. I was worried about English speaking GOs and other English speaking kids and this was not at all a problem for us. There were plenty of Americans there and I never felt like it was strictly French, with smokers everywhere and rudeness as some has stated. My only complaint with the mini club is how late the shows start. Typically 8:15pm was the earliest and in some cases it was 9pm or later! With a smaller child to bring along, it made it difficult to take in all the shows. Some of the mini club programs/shows were a bit silly, but the big show that they do where the kids perform and have practiced for during their stay really is a treat. It was the highlilght of our daughter's trip.

The food was so-so. Hit and miss at times. Some dishes were great, some just okay. The choices were endless and there was always something for everyone. I got sick our 2nd night, but not from the food --- I'm quite sure it was the combo of dehydration, travel fatigue, alcohol and just food overload. After an hour or so I felt fine and no one else in our family had any illness issues the entire trip.

This was our very first all inclusive resort experience. Typically we do smaller, non-inclusive places and like to explore the islands or locations. With a 3 year old, we knew this would be the best choice this year and it was. The pool, the mini club, the beach and amenities were great. They truly cater to families and make you feel right at home.

Room Tip: Colon building is perfect if you have small children. Ask for a 2nd or 3rd level room.
Dear bristolbailey,
We’re absolutely thrilled to hear that you and your family of four enjoyed your visit to our resort! It’s great to hear that our GOs were really great with your younger son in the Petit Club and that your 7 year old found our Mini Club enjoyable as well. We’re so pleased that your family chose our Club Med resort to vacation at. Many thanks for reviewing our resort and we hope your family will visit again very soon!

NJ
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I recently enjoyed a vacation at Club Med Punta Cana with my wife and 2 teenage kids (16 and almost 18) . Bottom line great getaway with beautiful beaches and good food. Plenty of acitivities to keep the kids busy with other kids their age.

Pros: Awesome beach big enough to either be with the crowd or find a less noisy spot where you don't hear the constant drums of the pool area and beachside workout tent. Plenty of acitivities especially if you have little ones. Food was very good for a self service format with plenty of variety and each night a different theme.

Neutral: Topless bathing. Depends on your philosophy but be prepared to explain to your kids the multicultural aspect of the club. USA residents were in the minority with lots of French, Canadian and other nationalities.

Cons: Housing was old and dated. Rooms were clean but not very large. In my kids room the AC was leaking in the floor and in our room the thermostat was broken. We were forced to move rooms to a supposed upgrade which was not any better than what we already had so not sure why the inconvenience given the similarity of the rooms. The property has a lot of constant acitivites which are noisy and can wear on you.

Also dissapointing to not have waterskiing /wakeboaridng included. It was very expensive to rent the boart with driver.

Forget aboiut getting a chair by the pool after 8.30 am. They are all reserved by then and not always occupied despite the warning signs. Also there is no section for adults so the pool can be noisy. Club Med should set aside the far end of the large pool as adults only given the ample pools for the little kids. Customer service was very inconsistent from the not very helpful concierge folks to the restaurant wait staff. Paint was falling off the ceiling in the large and well appointed fitness club. Gift shop was very expensive and selection of items was limited.

Overall a good experience with some drawbacks as mentioned above. Don't expect a Ritz or Four Sesasons. You want to spend most of your time outside your room so you can put up with the accomodations. If you can definitely fly into Punta Cana where you'll pay more for the flights but the airport is 5 mins from the resort. We flew into Santo Domingo which while quite a bit cheaper was a 3 hr car service with a Mario Andrettti wannabe driver.

Room Tip: Get ocean facing room with patio.
4 Thank chriw
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Dear chriw,
Thanks for taking the time to review our Club Med resort. It’s great to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. We’re happy our beautiful beach and many activities suited your family. However, it’s unfortunate you felt our accommodations were not up to par. We greatly appreciate your insights and recommendations. Thank you again for reviewing our resort. We hope to see you at another Club Med resort in the future.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I went to this Club Med Punta Cana for march break. It was about my 10th time visiting this resort, alternating with Club Med Cancun.
This resort is absolute paradise, do not listen to those negative reviews.
The G.O's are incredibly full of joy and very helpful. The food is always amazing, especially eating at the open windowed Hispaniola for lunch.
I recommend that everyone try the flying trapeze at least once because it is the most fun thing you will experience in your life.
The only thing I would complain about is the night time shows. These shows were incredible previous years but they have become quite boring and unexciting recently.
I also recommend that everyone try the white chocolate bread, it's what club med is famous for :P I took home 2 loafs
As I mentioned I have been to this resort numerous times and will continue to come. It is my absolute favourite place in the entire world.

Room Tip: Rooms that are not on the first level are much better. Pizarro and Cortes are the buildings with th...
5 Thank emdipiere
Dear emsagzz,
It's so wonderful to hear you have continued visiting our resorts for so long! We’re thrilled to hear you enjoy our helpful GOs and amazing food. We think your recommendations for future guests to experience the Flying Trapeze and White Chocolate Bread are both great ideas! We’re sorry to hear you were not pleased with our nighttime shows, but we appreciate your insights and recommendations and hope you will continue visiting us for years to come.
Los Angeles
Reviewed 26 March 2012

After reading many reviews of Club Med Punta Cana over the last 8 months before our trip, I was concerned about all the negative reports. There were a couple of small problems but overall, for our extended family of 6 adults and 4 children, the experience was outstanding.

Because I had read negative reviews of rooms on the first floor, I specifically had it put in my reservation that I wanted all rooms on the second floor. I probably called about this issue at least 10 times, even as recent as a few days before our arrival. I was assured by the central office that this would be in our records upon our arrival.
When my husband and I arrived at noon,a day before our children and grandchildren, We were told our room would be ready at 3:00pm. We had packed bathing suits in our carry on bags so we went to lunch and out to the beach. At 4:00 our room was still not ready. Finally a 4:30 they took us to our room. It was on the first floor(not acceptable for me) and faced a garden.
We returned to reception and they offered to put us in a lower class room for the night and then move the next day. We made the move for the night and the next day they told us our new room would be on the second floor with a bit of ocean view from the patio. We packed up our things and went to the beach for the day. When I asked when we could get into the new room (at this point we no longer had any room because we had to check our of our temporary room. ) At 4:00 we checked on being able to get into our new room but we were told the people there had a late check out and they couldn't start cleaning the room until 4:00. Finally at 5:00pm we were taken to our second floor room. It was in the Atlantico building and it was a lovely room with a bedroom, a sitting room, a walk in closet, separate room for the toilet, and a nice size bathroom with double sinks and a shower. For the entire week, our room was spotless. We also had someone clean our room twice a day, so we always had fresh towels.Just as a note, I had read that it is not a good idea to stay in the building behind the Hispanola restaurant because you could always smell food cooking. Well Atlantico is directly behind the restaurant and we were in the front of the building overlooking the restaurant. Even when on our patio, we did not smell food cooking and the Atlantico building was a perfect location. If we go back, I would ask for that building again.

Fortunately our two families of four people each arrived the next day at 1:30 and were immediately taken to their 2nd floor rooms in the Ovando building. We were happy that at least their check in went smoothly. Both families loved their 2 bedroom deluxe rooms.

We brought lots of dollar bills to give as tips and the staff was most appreciative. We left a couple of dollar bills each day in our room, at at the bar we always left a dollar or two.
People have complained about the drink service at the beach. We were frequently approached and brought drinks several times a day. Perhaps because we also gave a couple of dollars to the beach staff, we never had to wait to have a drink on the beach.

One of our grandchildren was a 12 year old girl. She was told about the area for teens and pre teens and immediately became involved with all the activities at the "ramp". She said she had the time of her life. I think we only saw her a couple of times for breakfast and a couple of dinners. The remainder of the time she was with all her new friends. One of the nights, the teens put on a show in the theater and she was up there doing the dance routines and having a blast. There were two counselors with that group at all times.

The other three grandchildren did not want to participate in the mini clubs so they spent their time with the adults, on the beach playing football and snorkeling just offshore.
We all did the 4 hour boat and lobster lunch tour and did some snorkeling during part of that trip but we found the snorkeling just off the beach had lots more fish to see.
We brought our own snorkel masks but you can rent then at the club for free.
Some reviews mentioned free snorkel trips on a boat. This was not true. This past week the price was $36 pp to go on a snorkel boat for a short visit just outside the reef. You can snorkel off the beach and see lots of fish.We all took out the Kayaks one day and the kids loved that...we did too.
They have several sailboats that you can take out at no extra cost too They suggest signing up for a free lesson first and then you can take the boats out alone or with a friend. Or, if you are an experienced sailor, you don't have to take the lesson.

Before we traveled, I asked about renting umbrellas on the beach to have some shade. Umbrellas are not available at club med so we bought a beach umbrella for $20 at Costco and packed it in a soft fabric golf bag and filled the rest of the bag with snorkel equipment, rubber footballs,and other beach toys. I also packed our shoes in bag to keep the weight down in our other suitcase.On our last full day on the beach, a woman asked us where we rented the umbrella and we told her we brought it from home. We also told her that if she met us on the beach the following morning, we would give her the umbrella to keep and then to pass it on to another family when she left the club. Rhonda...what happened to you? We were on the beach for about 2 hours before we had to leave the resort but you never came by to get the red umbrella.
As a suggestion, I think Club Med should buy a couple of dozen umbrellas and have them available for guests. Even if they charged a small amount to rent, I am sure they would be paid off in the first day of use.
There is some shade on the beach from the tall palm trees but as the sun moves, and so does the shade.
We never spent any time at the pool. I did notice that the chairs were always taken early in the morning and we were happy to be on the beach anyway. Lounges were always available on the beach.

So many mixed reviews on the food and restaurants. I had very low expectations but was very pleasantly surprised. They had so many staff members cleaning the tables as guests left that I never even used the bacterial wipes I had brought from home. Also their service was consistently with a smile.The selections were varied every day and we all loved the choices for meals. Our 3 young grandsons loved being able to go up and choose their own meals. There were several stations where cooks were constantly preparing hot dishes. We all thought the food was very good...not 5 star but certainly good. One evening we all took a taxi to a restaurant off property. It was quite expensive for a party of 10 and the service was very slow. My husband and I ordered different main courses and both were served lukewarm.
At club med, the food was hot and fresh all the time and always many selections. Also, we saw a few birds flying around Hispanola but never saw any in the buffet areas.

If you are planning a trip to Punta Cana, pick up an beach umbrella to take along on the trip. You won't regret it. The sun is very strong there. If you don't want to pack it to take back, give it to a family who might enjoy it after you leave. Also, bring lots of sun block. It is expensive to buy in the gift shop.

As far as transportation to the club, we wheeled our bags out to the curb. There were people everywhere offering a taxi. I had heard the going rate was $9 but all the cabs wanted $20 I offered $10 and we settled on a $15 cab ride to the club for the two of us. When leaving club med on Sunday I asked reception the cost of a van to take the 10 of us back to the airport. It was close to $100 and the staff member said we could grab 2 cabs by the check in counter. We ended up having the choice of two cabs a $20 each or one large vehicle for all
10 of us for $40.(certainly a better price than what club med had to offer. Also, we waited about 5 minutes for the public vehicle to swing into camp, load all our luggage and drop us at the airport.
To enter the Dominican Republic you must pay $10 pp for the tourist charge. Someone mentioned in a recent review that they had to pay $20 pp to leave the country. This was obviously a scam. No one asked us for money as we left and I had also checked with the Dominican Republic tourist office in NYC and they also said there is no charge to leave the country. Don't be fooled.

If you are going to Club Med soon, have a wonderful time. We certainly did. If you have any questions, please feel free to send me a response through Tripadvisor and i will be happy to answer any of your concerns.

Room Tip: Ovando building was the best for the families of 4 people..two bedroom deluxe Atantico building for...
8 Thank cineteach
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Dear cineteach,
We're sorry to learn that our Club Med resort did not meet your expectations when you first arrived. We are pleased, however, that when you were moved to Atlantico, you enjoyed your stay. We are also happy to learn that your grandchild had a great time, as well as the other families who later joined you. We appreciate your insights about the umbrellas and will definitely look into your recommendation. We appreciate your review and hope to see everyone again soon!
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 24 March 2012

And if I had a third one, they will have it!
We went there with our children, age 3 and 5 in November of last year and they had a blast, as of now they still talk about it and sing the couscous dance two or three times a week!!! Alban le Géant and his crew were amazing of energy and resources. They've been amazing with our children and we thank them for it!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Dear Francois b,
We’re thrilled your family had a great time while visiting us! It’s also great to hear that your children still talk about how much fun they had while on their vacation with us! Many thanks for reviewing our Club Med resort. We wish you safe travels and hope you and your family will visit again soon!