10,586 results
All reviewsmini clubkids clubpetit clubhispaniola restaurantcircus teamchef de villagezen poolflying trapezecrazy signsthe white chocolate breadindigo barla cavecouscous teamtrident spacetennis teamtiara suitestiara section
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We appreciated that the property was always clean every where, from the rooms to the restaurants to all the grounds on the beautiful property. Once the staff got to know our group, we had a great time with them. I think all of us would consider coming back at some time in the future.

3  Thank sfg1223

Dear sfg1223,
Thank you so much for your review! We are really happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. It sounds like your group had a great time. Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope you come back very soon!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Where to start with Club Med?!
My wife and I booked Club Med Punta Cana based on a recommendation from one of her co-workers based on the kid’s club and the presence of the kid club allowing her and her husband to have a couple’s vacation.
After much contemplation and thought of other family resorts we settled on Club Med Punta Cana based on the recommendation.
When we arrived at the Punta Cana airport and went to the Club Med desk to see about transportation we were ushered into a hot mini-van with no working air conditioning. My 2.5 year old looked at me and said “Daddy it hot.” The driver told me the air conditioning was on high. The only thing that was high was the temp in the Van.
Once we arrive at the Club we are ushered to curbside check in were we are told or room and escorted to said room. I realize the next day that we were escorted not only the least scenic way but by escorting us this way the young lady who escorted us lost the opportunity to show us the basic like the pool, the beach, the kids club (which was the main reason we chose Club Med), the restaurants, but it was ok because we were given a map when we checked in (please realize this is pure sarcasm).
When we got to the room, the first thing that I noticed was that it was dark there were wall sconces that were covered with dark fabric covering which resulted in poor lighting. Additionally while the bathroom seemed pretty up to date the rest of the room was old and seemed poorly maintained, there was rust on each of the air conditioning vents one of the lights was broken, the paint on the sliding doors was chipped. The air condition while definitely loud wasn’t cooling the room very well. Not that the room was hot like the van that we traveled in from the airport but it wasn’t really as cool as I would have liked it. I found the thermostat and tried to adjust it but it didn’t work. I didn’t complain about this because like I said it was comfortable.
I was disappointed by the layout of the room. We had originally booked a standard room and after a stay at an embassy suit for a wedding after booking club med but before traveling my wife and I realized that it was extremely important to not be trapped in a room by our son. By this I mean that I wanted him to have his own space while we have ours where we could go to the bathroom at night without going through his room waking him up. After embassy suites I contacted club med telephone reservations to inquire about the layout of the room. The standard room we had booked was the poor layout so I decided to upgrade to the deluxe which I was told usually has a separate child area from the bedroom with usually a separate way to the common area. The room we got did have a separate child area, separated by a sliding door but we still were trapped in our room because we had to do through our son’s sleeping area to get to the bathroom.
The next morning we woke up and found our way to restaurant, remember we had the map. We walk into the restaurant and we find some seats as we are not greeted at the door and once again have to figure things out ourselves. The food was ok, not terrible but certainly not the best I’ve had or even near the top of the best food I’ve had at resorts. The mediocre food was the same at lunch and dinner for the entirety of our stay. I will say that the soft served ice cream might be the best soft served ice cream I’ve ever had!! So there was that. Despite the mediocre food the worst thing about the restaurants were the flies. At times it seemed like a plague. I did not have any bread or cheese while there because every time I thought about getting a slice I saw a fly convention on a roll and was utterly disgusted. I remember thinking to myself that as a New Yorker this restaurant wouldn’t have gotten more than C in NY’s restaurant rating scale. We did find that at diner when they opened up the right side of the restaurant, as you walk in, there were fewer flies over there so that was where we ate all our meals despite the protestations of the staff.
As for the staff while everyone was seemingly nice, you know the smile in your face nice, the service was overall lacking. You are given a bracelet when checking in, this is to identify you to the staff as a returning club med guest or a first time guest. This makes sense you would expect the staff to be especially attentive to first time guest, every business wants repeat customers, this was not our experience. We found out from on particularly excellent staff member Christian, not sure his last name but he and his wife worked there as a fitness instructor, she originally from Mexico he from Montreal about the color of the bands. He pointed a couple of things out to us in the restaurant that we had no clue about that I would have expected to be told about on the first day- specifically the sandwich station where I could get my son grilled cheese- he’s 2.5 and a picky eater. I met Christian on day 4 of our trip I wish we had met him on day 1. On another occasion, the day after meeting Christian actually, we were in the restaurant for dinner and I went to the sandwich station and asked for a grilled cheese. I was told they don’t make sandwiches for dinner that I would have to walk to the beach bar where they would; I don’t think it would have been too much of an inconvenience to make a grilled cheese on the grill as opposed to the sandwich maker.
As for the kid’s club while my son had a great time on the vacation, much better time that my wife or I. The problem with it was that they spoke primarily in French. My son did pick up some French, learning bon jour and ciao but I can only imagine his feelings of being lost. Even when my wife and I were around I would observe the club staff speaking in French with no subsequent translation to English.
Overall I think the problem with Club Med was that it seems like the resort is run by kids. I’m 40 my wife is 35, it seems like every staff member we saw was in their early to mid twenties and were more concerned with having a good time at work, particularly dressing up for dinner- as every night there seemed to be a color theme for the staff as they stood by the door to greet you but not really explain to you what was going on as an example.
Overall I would not recommend Club Med. We spent almost 6K for a 1 week stay including airfare and don’t feel that we got our money’s worth. As for the friend that made the recommendation I found from my wife after the fact that they love the place because they get great deals, according to my wife never paying half of what we did. Based on what we paid I expected more.

2  Thank dfrombklyn

Dear dfrobklyn,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are very sorry to hear that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. We aim to always offer helpful staff, comfortable lodging, and a fantastic experience overall, and we are truly sorry that this did not match your vacation. We take your comments very seriously and are looking into them immediately. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

I was getting a little worried about our upcoming trip to Club Med Punta Cana after reading the reviews here. I've traveled and stayed extensively with the Beaches/Sandals chain and was wondering if my husband, daughter and I made a mistake when choosing to vacation with Club Med. We ended up having a wonderful time.

Yes, the resort is not perfect nor is it 5 star. If you want a Four Seasons-like experience, don't stay here. The high points are the resort itself, the grounds and the dining. I found the food to be very good, especially compared to other all inclusive resorts. There is a wonderful selection and the bird issue seems to be at bay. The white chocolate bread is to die for. I am going to miss it but my waistline needs a break!

On the downside, the resort is huge. It's a 3 minute walk from the beach/pool to a restroom. The layout is somewhat wonky as the pool is very long. You have to walk around it from the beach to get to the main bar. There should be some sort of walkway over it a mid-point. Also, I found the service in the restaurants to be somewhat lacking from the staff. The servers/chefs are fantastic but the table/wait staff seems somewhat complacent at times. You need to track them down for coffee, etc in the mornings. I travelled with a large group of family members and found the service far better when we sat at a large table -- wine, water, etc. were kept in great supply and the service was very attentive.

The rooms are nice and I really liked the separate area for our child. Again, they aren't 5 star but they meet our needs of showering and sleeping. The A/C in our room worked just fine.

The GOs are all very friendly. Barq, the Chief, is absolutely fantastic! The gift shop has a great selection but it is pricey. Sunscreen is about $30 a bottle. Pool toys will set you back about $20 but the convenience is worth it.

I would not hesitate to return!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank cricketdog

Dear cricketdog,
We're glad to hear that you liked your stay with us overall. However, we regret that some aspects of your stay were not satisfactory. We pride ourselves on great service and accommodations, and we are deeply sorry to hear that was not your experience. We're addressing your feedback currently. Thank you for your review!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

We have stayed 8 days at Club Med Punta Cana with a 14 year old boy. After reading a bunch of reviews in this website (good and bad) I will give my short comments based on my experience and what I have read.
The room: Our room (#127) was clean and big enough for 3 people, had a fridge and a balcony, it was quiet (I noticed the windows were a double glass type which is not common in the Caribbean).

The pool/beach: Huge pool, long beach with lots of empty chairs even under a shaded area.
One point to mention is there is one Hobbie Cat which is reserved for the kids of the Mini-Club under a supervision of a GO. If you want to do sailing, you will have to take a Laser sailboat.

The Restaurants: They have the same quality food for both. I do agree about some comments about the service of the drinks of one review which is uneven but it did not bothered us at all. The drink servers were polite and most understand/speak basic english and some are Tri-lingual. The food was excellent for both, I did not get tired of the every day selection. The dark chocolate bread is incredible and you can ordered it to bring it back home if you go at the reception to place an order 1 day before you leave.

The GO's: They are the one's who makes the difference, they are excellent and are by the way at least bi-lingual. Roger, the tennis instructor is patient (we were beginners at this sport), he was very kind and friendly. On his day off he met with us at the sailing spot on the beach to chat and talk.
Mireille, GO for the teenagers was always giving us updates on our teen since he was only with us during breakfasts (he had a blast and made tons of new friends).
The kitchen chef which is readily available at the Hispanolia restaurant who on my request made a change to the menu to offer the next day my favorite dish and even gave me the recipe (wow!).
Kevin, the sommelier at the Hispanolia restaurant who was eager to find us us a table on the terrace by the sea.
Barq, the village manager, was always available, walking to different areas during key time slots and answered all of our questions.

Summary: Considering we took tennis lessons every day, 2 lessons for sailing and many advises were giving afterward by the sailing teams GO's, daycare for the teenager day and night, the excellent quality food, we think Club Med has given us an excellent price-value ratio in fact we think it's a very good deal.

Dear misterhoney,
Thank you so much for your review of your experience at Club Med Punta Cana. We are really happy to hear that you enjoyed your vacation. It sounds like you had a great time playing tennis, sailing, and enjoying our beach and pool. We love hearing that you loved the service from our team members and that they helped you have a great experience here. Thank you again for your comments, and we hope your family comes back very soon!

Reviewed July 8, 2012

Our family of 23 had a great time at Club Med in Punta Cana. We celebrated my mom's 70th birthday. The staff was very accomodating. Michael, chef at Hispanola, took the time to ensure that mom's birthday cake was special. He was friendly and went out of his way to make sure our every need was catered to including making reservations for our large party to dine together on subsequent evenings. We returned to dine at Hispanola because of Michael as well as the delicious dishes that were prepared.

Jesse who works in land sports, was another stand out. She took a special interest in our family's vacation. Her bright smile and sincerity in our well being was most appreciated.

Our group of 23 ranged in age from 1 year to 70 years. All of us enjoyed our time at Club Med. The facilities were clean, staff professional and amenities plentiful.

I am hopeful that additional staff be assigned to the front desk as there were three calls that I made that were not answered. When I did connect to request my bags my bags be picked up for departure, my bags were still outside my room two hours later. I ended up carrying my bags down to the reception area.

I also recommend ceiling fans in the main bar area as there isn't quite an ocean breeze to keep cool.

Overall, I recommend Club Med Punta Cana for families looking to enjoy a special time together.

Dear Lisa C,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your experience at Club Med Punta Cana. We are so happy that your mother's birthday celebration went so well and that your family enjoyed your time with us. We regret that some aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations, and we are looking into your concerns immediately. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with us.