“Once Again, An Amazing Tour”

Punta Cana Mike's Private Dominican Adventure
Ranked #5 of 238 Tours in Punta Cana
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Let me personally introduce you to the ways of the local culture that exists here on the east end of the island. From the barrios, cities and countryside, you will experience firsthand in an informal and personal manner, what makes the region what it is. Small group size ensures that you will not just be another number on the tour. Encounters are with real people going about their lives as they do every day. All tours are conducted in comfortable air conditioned vehicles and narrated in native English.I look forward to showing you the Dominican Republic I have come to know!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Activities for young children
Reviewed 2 April 2010

Well, I don’t know what I can say about this tour that has already been said numerous times. I did the Boca de Yuma tour with Mike and 7 others on March 25/10. It was an amazing day. I loved having a cerveza and playing dominos with the locals at one of the stops along the way. It was great to see all the kids, and the impact that Mike has on them. They are happy, industrious children, who, with the kind of guidance and help they get from people like Mike and the others that do so much to help in the DR, may have a fighting chance at a decent future. It was a pleasure to be in their company. The same goes for the children we met at the local school that we stopped at.
Boca de Yuma is a breath taking glimpse of Mother Nature at her best! It is a little fishing village with lookout points on the cliffs that offer a great view of the sea. A trip up the river in a little boat allowed us to see caves and crabs, fish and vegetation, that one will never see on your average excursion. And of course, all was accompanied by a history lesson with a twist of humour, like only Mike can provide. We got to witness the local fishermen at work with their primitive tools and catch a couple of BIG fish. It was remarkable to see what they can accomplish with what they have to work with. It is a beautiful, tranquil place that just makes you feel so peaceful and so much a part of nature.
We stopped for lunch at a quaint little open air restaurant on the edge of a cliff that provided great food with very friendly, hospitable hosts and excellent views. Again, there were kids there who are obviously influenced by Mike. It is heart warming to see how excitedly they respond to his presence.
On the way back, we stopped at huge cave laden with history back to the Taino Indians. After a climb up some very primitive steps, we were inside the cave. I didn’t have the nerve do go deep into the inside of it with the others, simply because I am a natural born klutz and could picture myself falling, but they said it was pretty cool. We also stopped at the Dominican version of Walmart where you can buy just about anything you wanted. I could have used a couple of hours to look around that store if time had permitted. It was pretty big and the prices were good.
I met 3 generations of a very nice family from Kamloops and a quite personable friend of Mike’s, who currently works on the Tropical Storm. This time I remembered to take my camera and got some nice pictures of the day. This is a tour that I could easily do over and over again. It was a terrific day and I would highly recommend this tour to anyone that wanted to get off the resort and see a very different part of the Dominican.
Thank you Mike, I had an amazing time.
Anna

4  Thank hamiltonbeachlover
There are newer reviews for Punta Cana Mike's Private Dominican Adventure

Reviewed 21 March 2010

Mike picked up my husband and me on March 9, 2010 at our resort, and 2 other couples were on the tour with us. First was the visit to the school, my favorite part of the day. Mike was teaching the alphabet to the preschool, and they sang us a song. It was great. Then 2 carwashes, where you can actually get your car washed, while having a cold beer, play dominoes and get your shoes shined. All in one stop!
We then headed to the fishing village, but on the way we had a flat tire. Not a problem, we visited the local "7-11", more refreshing drinks, sat and enjoyed the beautiful day in a very friendly village. Tire fixed, and on to lunch, where the scenery was outstanding and the seafood was very good. The boat ride was next, and then a visit to a cave. On the way back we had enough time to run into a store and get some rum and coffee for gifts. It was a great day, and I feel lucky to have gotten to see the real Dominican Republic. Mike does a great job telling the stories while we rode from place to place.

2  Thank tdillsav2016
Reviewed 3 March 2010

On Feb 22nd we had the pleasure of taking the Boca Du Yuma tour with Mike.
He picked us up at 8 instead of 7:45 due to the cows....lol. It was great to finally meet him.
As we headed out having front row seating we found out that the others who were supposed to be with us cancelled (which would have been ok with us to have Mike all to ourselves) but knowing how popular his tours are he had people waiting in the wings so off to 2 other resorts to pick them up.

I must say that having only 6 people per tour is great. We had so much time to ask questions that we personally wanted to know about.

The trip to the school and hearing about it's history is very eye opening. The children were great.....even our little "pick pocket" he was adorable. :) The teachers were so happy to except our gifts.

We got to meet a nice older gentleman who opened up his own little shop to make some money for his family. I was so sad to hear that someone had broken in and stole his products the night before. Mike and my hubby gave him a few dollars to buy some more stock. It was very humbling.

Our next stop was at the cigar factory and very interesting even though I don't smoke.

We then headed down the road for our first beer of the day. Now as a Canadian and all the rules we have back home (dam gov't) LOL I had a hard time getting back into the van with an open beer in hand. Of course the driver did not par take in this very common experience and I just keep saying how much we live in a country that truly is not that strong and "free"!!!

Well off to Yuma now to have lunch with the best view I have ever seen. We had the Red Snapper and best calamari I have ever tasted. I ordered a pizza as well thinking the calamari would be my appitizer.....ya well this was a meal size and so after tasting a small slice of the pizza, I decided to share the rest with the local children. I'm not sure who was more happy them or me. I had brought treats for the kids and they were so happy to have them. One little girl took the whole package of gum and stuffed it into her cheeks.....we laughed so hard we had tears in our eyes.....mine was from the sadness I felt knowing they were not used to having these common treats our kids have all the time back home. It must have felt like she was in heaven for this little girl :)

After lunch we walked over to the cliffs where the local boys showed us just how full of life they are by jumping off the cliffs into the water then climbing back up only to do it again.....scared the crap outta me, but they were having so much fun. Learned a bit of history from Mike and then headed down to take a boat trip.

Before getting on the boat, we noticed a local fisherman had caught a Marlin and was gutting it. I'm sure that will bring him some nice steaks to sell.

The boat tour was great. It was a very peaceful ride where we could just take in the local sounds. The cave where the pirate's stash is supposed to be stored was very interesting. We got to see the red crab doing their thing and again spending a moment of just silence. Then it was off in the boat to go up around the bend of the inlet to view the other side of the cave and then we had an exciting ride back over the big waves. Thank goodness for the ginger gravol taken before hand!!

Our next stop on the tour was to the local Car Wash where I personally was able to help a little boy learn his numbers so that he could learn to play dominios with the bigger boys. Mike has helped these boys to make a living of shinning shoes instead of begging for money. They were very proud of the work they did.....I felt very proud too.

Well the last stop ended up being in a local grocery store where I had the pleasure of not having to push my own cart.....I kinda felt funny at first as I'm no snob or big shot needing someone else to do my work but they really want to help ya. We were able to purchase coffee for 82p, good rum for about $8us and pringles that cost $6us at the resort for just 76p......what a deal.

I just want to sum up my review with how eye opening this tour was for me. I have done a few of the other local tours and now know that they are "fake" setups just for the tourists. Mike's is not one of those. Total true Dominican Life with no fluff added and so worth the price. I can't wait to do another tour with him next Feb.

Kudos MIke :) and when I'm ready to retire to the island, I'd be more then happy to come work for you. My Pictures of this great tour to follow.

6  Thank ldypylot
Reviewed 23 February 2010

I learned more in a day about Dominican Republic than I could expect to learn in a year on my own. I enjoyed the visit to the school, the children were so charasmatic. The carwash was an interesting experience, who would of thought that a carwash would be a fun place to hang out. It was interesting to see Don Lucas Cigars, and I especially enjoyed the cigar Mike suggested for me (thanks Mike). And finally, the little fishing town was very unique, and wrapped up the day nicely. Anyone thinking about taking a tour in Dominican Republic should look no further, Punta Cana Mikes Dominican Adventure offers everything you could ask for if you want to see and experience some of the local culture while you are there. Thanks again Mike!

3  Thank s_lamb333
Reviewed 23 February 2010

The Boca de Yuma trip was definitely the highlight of our vacation. We smiled all the rest of the week thinking about what a wonderful day we had. Even the clouds and rain of the rest of the week didn't dim the bright spot Mike brought into our holiday. The visit with the children (both the school children, the shoe shine boys and the kids at the fishing village), the opportunity to meet other lovely folks ( those at the school, the car wash, the restaurant, and the cigar factory) all were unbelievably heartwarming. The meal in Boca de Yuma was the best of the trip and perhaps one of the finest pieces of fish we have ever eaten. We are so grateful that Mike had the good sense and courage to "Dream his Desires and Desire his Dreams". He is a true poet and a marvelous teacher. The reviews on this site are not an exaggeration. This was a marvelous tour. Many many thanks, Mike
P.S. Thanks for the tip about Noir. We walked over on the beach and Carlos was a delightful host and served us some spectacular ceviche.

2  Thank knitwit24