“rest and relaxation...”

Ranked #31 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
London, Ontario, Canada
“rest and relaxation...”
Reviewed 29 February 2012

We spent an enjoyable vacation with family at the esmeralda.Had many problems with key,went to main desk many times too many times for my liking. I was there to rest not wait for someone to fix the key.We started in a room on the lower floor which wasn't to our liking as we travelled with teens and wanted rooms beside each other. I like to sit on patio and it backed onto a roadway that had trucks backing up at 5am beeping the whole time ..plus our patio door would not lock which made me uncomfortable because of the location of my room.The woman on the front desk was quite rude and we had to keep going back to front desk begging for a new room.I stayed a week and didn't unpack for 2 days.Food was not what I 'd expect from a 5 star The hotel and grounds were beautiful and weather is great but I would feel awkward recommending this hotel to friends. Huge communication problems.

Room Tip: 91215 views the pool and you can see the ocean
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank eikcaj772

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,534)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
High River, Canada
Reviewed 28 February 2012

We had a marvellous vacation at the Esmeralda. We particularly enjoyed the smaller size and quieter ambiance of the Esmeralda versus staying next door at the Punta Cana. The staff were eager to please, the food was good in all the restaurants and buffets and one could always find something to please the palate. I have to say the breads were outstanding! We particularly enjoyed the Japanese a la carte restaurant "Maiko" and I must say the Steakhouse was surprisingly good even though I had read bad reviews about it. We enjoyed the availability of premium liquors for the drinks although at the beach it was run of the mill local brands. Not much in the way of shopping though, as most of the stores in the little shopping area sold the same thing! The entertainment was generally enjoyable, albeit somewhat on an amateur level, with the exception of the Michael Jackson Show and the Cirque du Soleil, which were both outstanding. The shuttle bus system between the resorts worked quite well. Only negative I would have would be the staff needs to have a better fluency of English, especially at the front desk. It wasn't a problem for us, but sometimes it was a bit of a guessing game when you ordered a drink, as to what you would actually get. The beach area was outstanding and we spent most of our time there rather than at the pool area. Of course everyone seems to play the "beach towel on the lounge chair" game to reserve, and that was frustrating. We did have some seaweed appear for a couple of days near the end of our holiday, and although we saw staff raking it up, they never actually cleaned it up so then it started to smell. But one could always sit further back from the beach and then it wasn't a problem. We would definitely go back to the Esmeralda again.

Room Tip: Rooms in Block 92 are quiet but handy to all everything, only a five minute walk to the beach. We...
9 Thank Joan V
Toronto
Reviewed 28 February 2012

This is a great hotel on a wonderful stretch of beach.

Accommodations are bright, new ,large, clean and comfortable. No musty smell so common in the Caribbean. Rooms are also very quiet. Large bathrooms with separate toilet and separate bath and shower. Quiet air conditioner that works well.
Stocked fridge in room and also snacks and coffee machine.....all included in room rate.
Lots of area to lounge around and read a book or just have a drink and relax.

Friendly helpful staff.

Great beach with comfortable chairs reserved for Esmarelda guests.Great pool.

Downside: Food is OK. Plenty of it and lots to choose from but not great.

Only 2 Hoby Cats to sail in a hotel with hundreds of guests. Had to reesrve boats a day in advance and only one hour available daily. The Iberostar next door has 10 Hoby Cats to sail.

All in all this is a great hotel and I would return

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank Tokalosh
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed 28 February 2012

My husband and I (both in our 30’s) travelled to the Esmeralda Feb 2012. I read many reviews before we travel, so I felt it was only fair for me to post my thoughts!!

We have been to many all-inclusive resorts in the Caribbean, including Mexico, Cuba, Bahamas, DR etc. This was our second time at the GPB in Punta Cana, we stayed at the Punta Cana resort last time. Overall it was a great vacation, VERY relaxing! I would definitely recommend upgrading to the Esmeralda, or the Ambar - the other GBP resorts are just too big and busy and really starting to age!

CHECK-IN: We arrived late at night, around 12:00am. The guy at the front desk stayed on the phone for 10 minutes before he acknowledged us, but then he quickly gave us our room keys and sent us on our way. Our keys stopped working 3 times during our stay and we had to go back to the reception desk to have them re-programmed. Not a big deal, as everything is so close.

ROOMS: Beautiful and very CLEAN! The rooms are spacious with a sitting area, balcony, Jacuzzi, stand-up shower, iron, small table-top ironing board (which I left out the whole trip on the desk – worked well for us!), bathrobes, slippers, hair-dryer and a safe (free and easy, “safe” to use!) We emailed the resort ahead of time and requested a room on the 3rd floor in building 90 - they wrote back to say they could not guarantee a room but when we arrived, that’s what we got! Tip: bring some colored face cloths. For some reason this resort lacks face cloths, we only got 2 the whole stay. The fridge was stocked daily, even with some munchies! We had a garden, partial ocean view - really enjoyed relaxing on our balcony in the evenings with a beverage before getting ready for dinner and a show! And for the record, we didn’t see any bugs! :)

FOOD: I find buffets at all-inclusive resorts to be pretty much the same everywhere. You are in the Caribbean, so don't expect the same as you would in Canada or the US. You won't go hungry, there is something for everyone! We found the food at the indoor buffet to be better than the open air buffet and there was a better selection. You really should email the resort ahead of time to book the La Carte restaurants or you may find yourself eating late at night. We ate at the Japanese 9:45 one night because that’s all that was available. Also, we ordered room service one night, but unfortunately it never showed up. We feel asleep, so we didn’t bother to complain - just didn’t try to order it anymore.

DRINKS: The drinks I usually enjoy are Pinacoladas and Miami Vice’s, I found them way too sweet here or they always add too much alcohol which makes it even worse. My advice if you want alcohol - just ask for ‘little’, instead of just saying ‘yes’ – makes for a better drink! I’d also suggest bringing a small travel mug; helps keep beverages cold on hot days, unlike the small plastic cups they use. I liked to keep mine filled with ice water, they would fill my mug with ice at the bar, and I took the water bottles from the room.

POOLS: Very clean, quiet atmosphere. People with children tended to stay to one side of the pool and adults at the other. We found the water to be a little cool, but then again the weather wasn't the greatest while we were there. If it was a hot day, the pool was very refreshing! This is where we spent most of our time. There isn't any entertainment staff at this resort, if you want loud music and pool activities you'll have to go to the Punta Cana/Party pool which is literally only a 3 min walk from the Esmeralda pool. Like I said this is a very quiet area but there is an adult-only Jacuzzi area which is even quieter - we didn't spend any time there. Unfortunately, the towel game is played at this resort, so rise by 7am if you want an area with shade. Towels are easy to exchange and as often as you want!

BEACH: You’re in Punta Cana so the beach is beautiful, and very busy! We found it too windy during our stay to hang out at the beach, so we opted for the pool most days. The beach is beautiful to walk, you could walk for hours, and we did! Again, rise early if you want a good hut. There are a lot of huts so finding a spot isn’t that hard.
All in all, this was resort is beautiful and very relaxing! If you like to read, stay here! If you like a more up-beat atmosphere I’d suggest the Ambar- It’s not too busy, but at least they have music! I don’t think I’ll stay here again, only because there are other places I’d like to visit!
Have a great trip!!

Room Tip: Ask for above ground room, building 90 or 91... however everything is close so the builing wouldn...
11 Thank Beach_Bum1578
quebec
Reviewed 27 February 2012

We arrived around 11 pm on December 30 th to find out that the hotel was overooked and that we had to go to the Amber section. We had booked that hotel specifically so we were very disapointed. As well I had e-mailed the reception manager Luis Escano,a week before to request rooms near the beach. He replied that they would do everything to help us have an enjoyable stay. His e-mail was sent the same day that we arrived so it was surprising that he could not advise us before our arrival. We stayed 3 days in the Amber section before returning to the Esmeralda. If we pay for a specific hotel then we should'nt have to face this problem only because the hotel cannot administer it's business correctly.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank pierrepQuebec
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 25 February 2012

We (2 couples mid 30's - late 40's) travelled from Edmonton Feb 1 -9, 2012. We have all been at several 5 star AI's in the Caribbean.

Check in was ok, nothing special, would have been nice if they gave us some information on where we could get something to eat as we arrived at about 10:30 am and nothing seemed to be open. Rooms were ready by about 2 - 3 pm but when we got to our room they were still in there cleaning it. Our fridge and telephone didn't work but we called the desk and they were both fixed quickly.

Rooms were nice enough and clean, beds were firm but fairly comfortable. Mini Bar was stocked daily. Our patio door didn't lock, we were on the 2nd floor so not a huge deal but would have been nice to be able to lock it. We didn't call to get it fixed because we could tell that it wasn't going to be a small job. Room were both 2nd floor in buildings 90 and 91 but they were both in the same hall as buildings are adjoined.

Food was for the most part nothing special. Meat was often under or overcooked and most of it was pre cooked and kept under a heat lamp. There was lots of food but alot of it was just mediocre. Hours for buffets were not good for early morning departures or early excursions, they could have had at least muffins and cold stuff for a quick early breakfast. Room service was so basic and limited that we didn't even bother ordering it.

-Breakfast was probably the best meal, the omellette stations were ok, and the line up went quickly. Fruit and yogurts, toast, oatmeal were good, bacon was deepfried and tasteless. Juices were good and fresh. You were not allowed to take any food out of the buffet. Coffee was ok and they were good about serving it.
-Lunch buffet in the outdoor buffet was not 5 star, the hamburgers and hot dogs were precooked and sitting under a heat lamp and looked gross. We basically ate tacos and chili cheese fries most days. The pizza wasn't bad but over all the food was tasteless.
-Dinners at the buffet were similiar to lunch but a bit better. The al a cartes were nice settings and food was hit and miss, we went to the Don Pablo, the Italian at Esmeraldas and to one of the Japanese show cooking - I think it was called Makaido? The Japanese was surprising good with the exception of the fried ice cream dessert which was totally undercooked. The Don Pablo was pretty good but don't ask me how I want my meat cooked if your not going to make an effort to make it that way. Everyone at the table ordered medium rare and no two were alike. The buffet hours (at the Esmeralda) had significant gaps between breakfast and lunch and then again from later afternoon until dinner. You could go to the snack bar at the Punta Cana, but it was extremely crowded and you had to wait, no clean tables, the soft drinks were gross. You definately wouldn't starve, but the food was not 5 star either.

The layout of the Esmeralda was great, very nice landscaping and everything was nice and close by. The beach towels were easy to exchange, but the towel game at the pool and the beach was ridiculous. It was so hard to get beach chairs in the Esmeralda reserved area of the beach. Every day there was literally 2/3rds of the chair with towels on them and no one using them for hours. That was one of the main reasons I would not go back to this resort. The beach area was beautiful though and having the bar and washrooms conveniently located was nice.

All the rules about where you could eat and drink on this very large property were ridiculous, we paid the Esmeralda rate, had the Esmeralda bracelet, but could only get basic drinks at the other area's, which was frustrating because you had to come and go from the punta cana lobby for excursions or if you want to go to the common areas. Overall the drinks were not great, lots were way to much alcohol to make them drinkable, although we really enjoyed the marguaritas.

Overall we enjoyed our stay, the weather was great, but there was nothing that made us want to come back to this particular resort.

Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Devon987
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 February 2012

My wife and I spent a week at the Gran Bahia Principe Esmeralda. The Esmeralda is part of the larger Gran Bahia Principe resort. We have previously stayed at Ambar (adults only) in the same resort and would have stayed there again but it was full. But we enjoyed the Esmeralda greatly. There were some families with kids but most guests were older so the pool was still relaxing.

The Esmeralda was great. We were able to book specialty restaurants for most of our nights there. All in all they were pretty good, some were better than others (the service was much better at the restaurants in Ambar and Esmeralda than in Punta Cana and Bavaro). The Don Pablo was our favorite. In general, the food was good. The selection, fruits, deserts, pork, chicken, seafood were all very good. The one drawback was the beef dishes including at the Steakhouse. The quality of the beef was not great but there were plenty of other options.

The pool was great, we did not have a problem getting chairs any days. The pool was right next to the ocean so we were able to walk down to the beach everyday. The non-motorized water sports were included so we enjoyed kayaking and were tempted to try windsurfing but it was windy everyday and we opted to skip windsurfing.

Overall this was a very relaxing trip. There was not a lot to do at night except grab drinks in the lounge which suited us perfectly but others may want more activities at night.

Our one issue was that we found a cockroach in our room one night. We quickly killed it and did not see anymore the rest of the trip. I would recommend requesting a room on the second floor.

Room Tip: We found a cockroach in our room on the first floor. I would recommend a roomer on a high floor.
8 Thank bbucker13
Alsol Luxury Village
#87 of 111 in Punta Cana
83.8 km away
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!