“The Best Ever!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
St. Louis, MO
“The Best Ever!”
Reviewed 19 February 2012

We went on a group trip to Secrets Feb. 8-16. All 20 of us had the time of our lives at Secrets. It is an amazing resort and I do not have a bad thing to say about this place. The rooms are comfortable and clean. Our maid Saida was excellent! All of the staff were amazing. Jazmin, Edwin, Gladys, Johan, Speedy, Miss Blondie, Winnie, Isaias, Akon, Estephanie and all the others went out of their way to make our stay wonderful! The food was superior. No long waits for the restaurants. The drinks were great and the wine was plentiful. We enjoyed Secrets so much more than the resort next door, Now Larimore. It was nice to come back to our resort to relax and enjoy the ambiance. From beginning to end, it was the best!

Room Tip: 4236, great view!
3 Thank CorvetteloverZ06

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,458)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Boonville, Missouri
Reviewed 19 February 2012

We booked this for our late honeymoon and had a wonderful time. The rooms and service was above and beyond. The pool bar was our favorite and we loved Carols, Yorleiny, Aneduis, and Junior. Carols was always there to greet us and make whatever we wanted. We have no complaints!!! Would love to visit again.

Room Tip: The pool view rooms are amazing. Ours was half way to the beach and the lobby. Easy location!!!!!!
1 Thank MER101512
coshocton ohio
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Let me start by saying this was my 12th all inclusive trip, 4th in punta Cana, and 3rd at a secrets. Anyone who complains about food or the lack of English being spoken either has ridiculous expectations or can not be pleased.

You go to punta Cana for the weather, beaches and nice people. Go to secrets royal beach for the best of all the above. The resort is beautiful, food was good in comparison to most Dominican resorts, and the workers were friendly and helpful.

Robert at the front desk was great helping my wife and I find the perfect room. Ended up in presidential suite to celebrate our anniversary. Best room I ever stayed in. Alexis our butler was fabulous never pestering us but taking care of all our needs. Thank you both if you are reading this review.

You can never go wrong with a secrets resort no matter where you go. But if you love the Dominican consider this resort. Even without the presidential suite we would have loved the resort. But staying there was unbelievable. We can't wait to go back

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank skeltony
Lee's Summit, Missouri
Reviewed 18 February 2012

This is a very good resort with a fatal flaw. Let me just quickly break down different aspects of the hotel:

Rooms: Good, but not flashy. I was expecting a bit more of a 'wow' factor, but found the rooms to be functional and comfortable. Maid service was outstanding, as was room service. We had a swim up room, which really isn't a swim up room, as you have to go through 10 feet of dirt/mud to get to the lazy river, which isn't a lazy river, just a lazy river shaped pool.

Food: Once again, good but not great. We never ate anything that made us say 'wow'. I recommend staying on the Secrets side for food, as the Now restaurants were a lot more 'traditional all inclusive' fare. Breakfast buffet on the Secrets side is consistently the best meal at the resort.

Beach/Pool: Beach is fantastic, other than the security guys don't do enough to keep the salesmen on the beach from bothering you on your way to the water. I just ignored them. Pool bar is best I've seen. The staff work well together, are fun and keep things lively and fun. This is the place to be mid-afternoon.

Service: The calling card of the resort, if you ask me. The service at all restaurants, bars, rooms and beaches was top notch. We never wanted for anything. That's as good a compliment I can give. They were great.

'Vacation Club': The downfall of the resort. After you get your room key, you're ushered off to the vacation club sales guy, who they call your 'concierge'. Our guy called himself 'Slick Tony'. I knew what it was going in, I played along, got through it and was notified of the 'special breakfast' the next morning. We had no intention of attending. We skipped it, only to have this guy call our room the next evening to ask why we didn't attend. I told him we weren't interested, and he put the hard sell on. I was stern, and ended the conversation. Very off putting. The next day, we got back from the beach only to find a hand written note from 'Slick Tony' telling us that his job was on the line, and that he had 5 kids to support and really needed us to attend his breakfast. Even went as far as to say 'you made a promise to me when you arrived, and you're breaking it'. At that point, I went to the hotel manager and told him to get this guy out of our life. We didn't hear from him the rest of the trip. Just awful. I can't see how this process benefits the hotel.

If it weren't for the Vacation Club experience, this could have been a yearly destination for us. The rooms need a little overhaul to justify the price, but otherwise the resort is great with astounding people. Unfortunately, having a vacation half way over before we can stop being hounded by their salesman killed any chance of our return.

Room Tip: We didn't find the swim up room to be worth it.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mmcdan13
Ontario
Reviewed 17 February 2012

We stayed at SRB from Feb 9-16. Check in was a breeze, from the amazing cinnamon smell, to the happy “welcome home” to the first drink, we felt like this was going to be amazing

We were quickly taken to our room and the driver (wish I could remember his name) gave us a quick tour on the way to our room, once in our room, he explained all our features. We had booked a swim out and got room 4174, this room was amazing, perfect actually! This room was steps away from the beach, the swim up bar, the buffet it was a few min walk to the main lobby/ court yard, and about 5 min from the now Larimar. We could not have asked for a better location.

Our room was cleaned promptly while we had breakfast (the first few days) and then later during the week, cleaning was done closer to 4. Again, not a huge deal , just sit out on the balcony and enjoy a cocktail for 15 min. We aren’t the type of ppl who expect new towels each day, we just hung ours to dry and if they got too dirty we’d just put them on the floor in the shower and we got new ones. I don’t change my towels at home every day, why would I expect new towels here??

The beds are really comfortable, rooms are large, and yes the swim up rooms are musty at first, but we brought a few plugs ins and by that night, it smelled perfectly fine. They also provide some incense sticks to burn. Seriously ppl, I have allergies and take meds each day, and it was not a problem for me. It’s the tropics, in a swim up room, there is going to be SOME mustiness!! The room comes with some amenities, shampoo (no conditioner) body wash, sewing kit, shower cap, little box with cotton balls, qtips, and nail file, bathrobe and slippers. There is an ipod station in the room with the alarm clock, flat screen tv and dvd player.

Bar is stocked with president, soda, water. We left a tip in the fridge each day, first day we left a note asking for extra beer and water and every day, he remembered to give us extra of both those things.

We spent most of our days at our swim out room, it was nice to have access to our things, and we loved floating around the lazy river. There are plenty of pool floats, all you have to do is ask, and they will bring you a few. Service around the pool is excellent, we really like Glady, she was such a sweetheart.
We also loved Raoul from the lobby bar:)

We also used the hot tub on our deck. Our room had plenty of privacy although we thought a curtain out there would be a nice touch , for those of us who don’t really want soak in our bathing suits.

I’m not going to rate and review restaurants as I’ve come to notice food is just a matter of personal taste. I can say this, my partner is a picky eater and he always found something to eat. Most of the time we ate at the Larimar buffet (carnival) and the food was more than fine, no complaints whatsoever. There were several theme nights, Mexican night, they had a seafood night where there were all kinds of differently prepared lobster tails, shrimp, mussels. We did notice some angry ppl complaining about having to wait to be seated. Seriously folks, you’re on vacation, why not just have a drink and relax, the hostess really doesn’t have control over how many ppl show up to eat at the same time! Some people obviously can’t be pleased.

We also had hamburgers and fries at the barefoot grill with is located at the far right on the secrets side, amazing burger and it’s open until 5:30 pm, so if you’ve missed lunch because you were too busy frolicking in the sun, it’s the perfect place to have a snack and as other have mentioned, the burgers are pretty fantastic!

As we roamed around the lazy river, we also noticed giant bowls of banana’s lying around should you need a snack.

I’m not going to lie, I did have a little bit of stomach issues, but In the real world, I don’t drink alcohol every single day, I don’t have bacon for breakfast everyday nor do I eat that much fried food everyday. So my stomach issues did not come from their food, it was related to the alcohol I consumed, and the food choices I made. Lets face it folks, on a regular basis, nobody drinks that many pina coladas and strawberry daiquiris everyday!

It rained the first part of the first day so we used this time to go the palm real plaza, it was filled with high end stores, If you’re looking for a little culture, it’s not the place to go. We did find a few stores that had a couple little things, enough to bring home souvenirs. Of course there is always the gift shop , which is pretty much on par with the other stores when it comes to cost.

We had issues with our safe, we made a call, 10 min later is was fixed. Our fridge wasn’t cold enough, we called 10 min later it was fixed. If all you don’t tell the staff about the issues, then you should not be complaining. Everyone was eager to help with a quick “it’s my pleasure”.
The resort is immaculate, there is always someone cleaning something.

Everyone was friendly, I didn’t come across a language barrier, just speak more simply, say taxi instead of cab, ask for a bloody Mary instead of a ceasar, everyone we talked to spoke perfectly fine English.

I read a review where someone complained about noise?? What?? Seriously?? We could see the swim up bar from our room, everyday the music started at about 3:30 or 4 and played until 6. Before that, there was the occasional day where they played soft, elevator type music, it was extremely quiet!! If you can’t find peace and quiet here, we were not at the same resort.

After reading tons of reviews before I left, I’ve come to the conclusion that some people cannot be pleased. Yes the hot tub takes a while to fill up , you’re on vacation!! Yes sometimes you have to wait in line ups, you’re on vacation, yes the food is different, you’re in a different country, yes there is music, you’re on vacation, yes it’s musty it’s the tropics!! yes the room bar only comes with certain things, because they offer a variety for everyone, just leave a note, ask for 6 beer, 6 water and you’ll get exactly what you ask for.

Don’t even second guess about booking this resort, it was paradise, we loved it.

We’ve traveled alot, and although we’ve loved most of our resorts we’d definitely consider coming back here.

Room Tip: room 4174 has full sun all day , great location!!
9 Thank pennycuts
Butler, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 16 February 2012

I have been to Excellence in Mexico, Secrets in Jamaica and by far this is the best of all. The service is excellent. I can not say enough about Alexander, supervisor of the bar and Raul the bartender. They made our groups vacation..They made sure we never had an empty glass, they mixed up special shots for us and tried their hardest to serve us cold beer. My only negative is that the beer needs to be colder, even in Jamaica the beer was not cold..but never fear, the bar staff actually filled a bucket with ice and we chilled our beers in there. When sitting along the lazy river, the bar staff was always walking around getting drinks, we never had to go to the bar. The service on the beach was just as good! The food was mostly good. We did have a bad experience at the Oceana, but that was all. The food at the Now was pretty good, but I would prefer to have more food choices on the Secrets side. The grill on the beach was awesome. From noon till 5 they were grilling burgers, chicken, kabobs, fish, and ribs. You could take your food to the beach or they had tables and a waiter if you chose to stay there. We never went to a restaurant for lunch.The buffet was excellent, a great choice of different foods for breakfast and dinner. The night club was wonderful. We stayed in the swim up rooms and they were wonderful, I would recommend them to anyone. The resort was spotless and you could tell it was well constructed. I was so pleased with the beach, the resort and the staff that I would love to go back next year and I will go back again...

Room Tip: Swim up rooms are awesome, so are poolview. There are rooms overlook or walk out to the service stre...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Beth H
New York
Reviewed 16 February 2012

I recently stayed at Secrets Royal Beach from Feb 4-11, 2012. I must say it was great. The food was excellent, rooms very nice and clean. But by far was the staff. They went out of their way to make sure you stay was excellente!!. A special thanks to Juan Carlos who was everywhere at the resort..from dining to front lobby. This is one resort I will definately be back to. If I had one negative it would be not enough seating at the pool area. But the beach was magnificant. Never was thirsty always people coming around for beverage orders. Truly one of the best adult all inclusivesn I have stayed at.

4 Thank Luvthebeach35NY