“Riu Naiboa was OK”
Review of Hotel Riu Naiboa

Hotel Riu Naiboa
Ranked #80 of 114 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 9 January 2008

Just got back from Riu Naiboa and had 7 fabulous days of sunshine. The beach itself was terrific with white powdered sand. Most of the staff was quite friendly and went out of their way to make you feel at home. The pool was cleaned every day and my kids had a great time in it. The rooms were clean and comfortable but not luxurious. A good number of TV channels were available. The majority of the guests staying there were European ( Spanish, French, German ) and came in couples or with families and friends. Even though there are some language differences , a smile or hello usually brings back a similar response.

There were a few minor drawbacks such as having only one of two paddleboats, kayaks etc. for the many hundreds of guests. You had to reserve a day or two in advance to have use of their equipment and even then they may not be available. One night a group of 8 or 9 American teenagers checked in and started screaming profanities from their balconies, slamming their doors and running down the hallways until 5 a.m. One of them tried to break into our room. Security was called but they should have been aware that this group was causing a huge ruckus as soon as they checked in. It is a family resort and a Riu after all.

The entertainment was so so. The Michael Jackson show is not to be missed. If you go make sure you ask for a room facing the pool. The rooms facing the back are quite outdated. I'd rate this hotel a 3 star but certainly not a 4 star. We got this package at a discounted last minute deal.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8  Thank John H
Write a ReviewReviews (3,321)

Reviewed 7 January 2008

We just returned on Saturday from an AWESOME week at the Riu Taino. Weather was gorgeous.....so hot even in the evening.....so I overpacked as usual.....lol. Really , you can live in your bathing suit by day and a few pairs of shorts and t's for the evening.

The beach is so mind blowing.....beautiful. Unfortunately, the snorkelling was pretty crappy.....a few fish but the reef is pretty much dead right off the beach. And the water was quite wavy.....so snorkelling was a lot of work.....
We took an excursion to a reef for snorkelling. It was nice....but definitely not the best I've seen.
But....the guys were so nice and friendly.

The food was really good. A lot better than I expected. So much variety.....do try the Mexican and Steak House. Definitely go to the Italian restaurant....Yummy.
I must tell you tho'.....I was very sick the second day....I think it was the burger i ate that wasn't cooked enough......I was really careful about meat being cooked enough after that and everything was fine. Delicious.....and restaurants all over the place.

The room was fine......although the beds really sucked. I'm really not picky but my man and I had to share two twin beds.....not connected in the middle and one was about 6 inches higher than the other.....it was good for a few laughs but by the end of the week we were tired of cuddling on a twin bed. And we really like each other.....lol

The people were so friendly and courteous.
The grounds are gorgeous.
I highly recommend the Taino.....wish I was still there.
Hope this helps.
O yea.....i was surprised but i had full service on my cell phone....probably will cost a lot....but very convenient.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
8  Thank sunny43Toronto
Reviewed 3 January 2008

One of my college girlfriends invited us to her wedding in Punta Cana in December 2007. We stayed at the Naiboa and it was nice. Not spectucular, but far from disappointing. Our group of 15 came from Chicago. The staff was very helpful and greeted us with tropical drinks and lots of energy upon arrival.

Had it not been for the language barrier, I'm sure it would have been great to get to know the hotel employees. I would have loved to learn more about their lives on the island. As an island native of the US Virgin Islands, I'm sure it was nothing like the tourist trap, albeit beutiful, we shared.

The beach was amazing at eighty five degrees in December, I was beyond dissapointed to return home to fifteen degrees and snow in Chicago.

I'm not sure about the liquor at the Naiboa and at the bars. The group I came with was filled with twenty and thirty something people ( I was the only non drinker) and my friends never seemed drunk even after knocking back three to five Tequila double shots. No one in the bar seemed drunk, they just sat there a little too mild.

We had fun at the nightclub where the waitstaff and dancers came to have a good time after a long day of work. It was fun to see them dancing to local dominican music and we even got the dj to play a few hip hop songs to commemorate our friend's wedding night.

The wedding on the beach was beautiful. There was a five minute walk from the Naiboa to the beach, but I didn't mind. After eating at the lukewarm buffet, the walk felt necessary. Lounging on the beach was great with our group.

My only complaint was that the bed felt a little on the hard side and the Europeans weren't the friendliest bunch. I thought people in Chicago were bad, but there's nothing like seeing the same people in the hotel everyday and not getting a hello. I know there is a language barrier, but a smile is a universal language.

I wasn't impressed by the food, although the red beans and rice was great. The desserts were dissappointing, which was surprising. I never knew there was such a thing as a bad desert.

Overall it was a nice vacation, although I would probably not stay at the resort again. A great Dominican restaurant would have added some authenticity instead of the Italian restaurant.

• Stayed: December 2007
10  Thank Love_IslandGirl
Reviewed 2 January 2008

Just wanted to say that we got back yesterday, and the staff was really friendly but they don't speak or understand very much English.
and before i go on about this hotel, please keep in mind that this is the first time that i have ever had anything to say about any resort that i have ever stayed at.
First day we got there and our room was leaking, the t.v didn't work & the bed's were very old and hard.

we called to the front desk because we ran out of water and pepsi in our room(after 3 days of being there) and they told us that "they don't have any left" what the heck?!

i needed to call our rep for Sunquest so i went to the front desk and the guy told me to go and use the phone in our room...i wasn't i'mpressed with that comment.

we also went to the disco and we just walked in and some guy(local) walked up to us trying to sell cocaine & alot more different drugs as well,...please keep this in mind if you are bringing teenagers with you!

just keep in mind this isn't a 5 * to me it wasn't a 4* either...if you want to stay at any of the Riu's all the other one's looked great especially "RIU PALACE"

the beach is amazing!! a little walk from the Naiboa but that wasn't a bad thing.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8  Thank OntarioTropical_girl
Reviewed 30 December 2007

For people who want a week in the sun reading, swimming and sun tanning, this place is great. The Taino is the oldest of the 5 Riu hotels in this complex but the bungalow style is nice and the rooms kept clean. The rooms have a fridge and free alchol bottles and a balcony. It is windy and wavy on the beach but the beaches in Punta Cana are gorgeous. It is difficult to swim unless you are a pretty confident swimmer. (lots of undertow) The Dominican staff is very friendly, the atmosphere at the resort very relaxed-lots of Canadians, Germans and French patrons. The food is very average at best so if you want gormet food, you will be disappointed. You won't starve there but we stayed away from the shell fish and meat. If you aren't picky and just want a great beach, clean room and friendly staff-I would recommend this place. Apparently the Riu Palace next door has great food, but we never actually ate there.
Be careful at the airport on the way out...they tried to charge several hundred dollars to several Canadians who where over the weight limit. These same people did not have to pay on the way down.

Stayed: December 2007
5  Thank TDinOttawa
Reviewed 19 December 2007

My boyfriend and I ventured into the Caribbean last spring break to the Riu Naiboa. The staff was fantastic, the entertainment each night was great, the food was alright, and the beach was the beautiful! We have also gone to Cancun, Mexico, and it cannot come close to the beach, hospitality, and relaxing scene of Punta Cana. We loved it so much, we're actually going back this spring break- Round 2 at Riu Naiboa!!

Stayed: April 2006
6  Thank michiganteacher06
Reviewed 18 December 2007

I just don't get it , people go on vacation, but don't know how to relax. they go to a different country that has different culture, food,language and senery, and they think everything should be the same as back home. my advice, stay at home. this is our forth time to the Riu Taino, an love every minute of it. the food is excellent, rooms are nice, they do smell a little musty, but not bad. this is due to the hot climate outside and the air conditioners running at full tilt inside. the staff that work there is second to none. the nicest people in the world. i don't know how they do it, but they remember us every time we go there. the shows at night are great also. i also heard they are planning to redo it, i hope they don't turn it into a place like the palaces, where all the snooty people go. that would be a real shame.

Stayed: November 2007