“Excellent” 4 of 5 bubbles

Excellence Punta Cana
Ranked #17 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
“Excellent”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012 via mobile

I saw the reviews before we went on our trip. Some made me nervous, but let me say the place was great. Staff was friendly, beach, pool and bars were great. Food was very good. Wouldn't recommend the Italian restaurant but it wasn't horrible. Granted the hotel isn't the four seasons Maui , but the Dominican republic isn't Hawaii. If you are expecting it to be. You will be disappointed and I recommend you go to Hawaii. Otherwise, you will have a great time. All the shows were fantastic.

Stayed March 2012
5 Thank Mike L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,494)
  • Korean first
Matthews, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

Just got back from nine nights with other friends from the US. We read many reviews and do our homework and picked the Excellence Resort. I will do my best to break it down:

Airport arrival and ride: The airport is actually very nice and it took us about 30-45 minutes to get through customs and to our ride. Book a private transfer (we used Domincan Airport transfer) and they were basically waiting for us. The ride to the resort is about 40 minutes and it is bumpy, winding, and there is not a ton to see (unless you count the very skinny cows). But who cares as you are at the resort!

The Grounds: WOW!! The place is gorgeous and most of it is open air with thatched roofs. It is extremely clean and the buildings are done very nicely. The staff gave us some champagne and we checked in within 5 minutes of arriving and the luggage was brought right up to the room.

Room: We were in building 3, on the top floor, with an oceanview. WOW again!! The view is incredible and I recommend the top floor and ocean view as you get the sound and the scenery. We had a Junior Oceanfront Suite and it was good size with a patio, jacuzzzi tub, and stand-up shower. The ceiling fan was a plus as we left our slider open to hear the ocean each night and kept the ceiling fan on full blast. It was perfect. No musty smell in our room. I do recommend buildings 1-2-3 as they are near the action.

Room Cleaning/service - A little tip goes a long way! I tipped $5 on the first night and asked for more waters. The next day we had 28 waters in our fridge and on top! The mini-bar itself is always full and there is rum, Stoli, Bombay, etc.. We also had towel animals several times which were fun.

The Beach: Fantastic, spread-out, and the beds were a treat. We always had a bed and a couple chairs in the shade to relax. Because you are in a cove of some sort it looks like you are on a deserted island as there are no resorts close to you. The sand is soft and you can take long walks on the beach unlike other resorts. The beach service for drinks is always good and you never have to wait long. Beach volleyball was also fun everyday with Super Willy and Tito!

The Surf - The waves were big most days but I like that. We did have 3 days of Yellow flags and one day the ocean was almost without waves. I can't explain how beautiful the ocean was here and I was in it everyday.

The Pool: The pool was actually cool and refreshing and about the same temperature as the ocean. The pool actually seems to go on forever and nevers seems crowded. Pool volleyball was also fun. The beds around the pool were always open and were very comfortable. It is a gorgeous place where you can just be a couple or mingle with others. The pool service for drinks is a lottle slower but it is short walk to the bar.

Drinks: Get the Coco Loco!!! Very fun drinking out of a coconut and they will even cut it up afterwards if you want to eat some. The drinks somewhat depend on the bartender but you can always ask for extra booze. Kafe Cafe is fun outdoors and always hopping.

Food: It was pretty good but not great. Are you really here for the food????

Toscana - We did not go here for dinner but did for breakfast. Hint - Get a to-go container, fill it and head out and eat at the beach in the morning. Really nice. It is a good buffet and the omelets were filling.

Spice - Our favorite!! We had two meals here and were not dissapointed at all. The atmosphere is fun and it was the best service we had. Make sure you go here!

Agave - We also had two meals here. The guacamole and pico de gallo were great as the appetizer and the food was fresh. Not as good as Spice but a fun atmosphere with the singers and band coming through.

Che Isabelle - This was not as good as I expected. Just an OK meal.

The Lobster House - We had the Red Snapper and shrimp which was actually very good. In fact most of the fish and shrimp was good at the resort. We tried the lobster and it was just OK but I am from New England orignally so my expectations would be high.

The Grill - Those of us who ordered the filet were happy, those who ordered other cuts were not.

Barcelona - We did not like the menu and did not go here.

Oregano - We got take out from here and had our meal at the pool (you can do this anytime). The pizza and pasta was pretty good.

Dominican Beach Party - We got out there late and while the dancers were good (Taino) the food was not. We all struggled to find something good to eat and left somewhat hungry.

Las Olas - This is the beach grill and most of the food was pretty good. The pizza, paella, and other fresh made dishes are good. The burgers are overcooked as are the skewers of meat.

Night Entertainment: We thought this was just OK at best. The sound system is horrible and nobody actually sings. The atmosphere for the theatre is great and there are waitresses in case you cannot stuble 10 feet to the bar. None of the shows really appealed to us.

Excursion - We did the Buggie ride through Francis that left at 4:00pm. This was really fun but as a warning you will get very muddy. We went to a town, looked into a cool cave, and then handed out lolipops to the kids in the town. It makes you feel special and give you a chance to see the real Dominican. We liked this tour because it leaves from the beach and you are back by 6:30. Really a must do if you can.

The People:
Most everybody at the resort is great but here are a couple favorites:

Omar - He was fantastic!! He serves drinks on the beach and at the pool and is just a great guy. Promote him and pay him more!! I could just nod at him and my drink was seemingly there.

Radhames - He was always our guy on the beach. He was always singing and happy and got us the drinks we wanted quickly.

Rosmary - She was in Toscana in the morning and at the desk for Agava/Che Isabelle at night. Rosmary took about 20 pictures of us one night outside and was always there to great us at Toscana. Great employee!!!

Complaints:
1. There are two hot tubs/spa's and they are very small (think 4 people). Even worse they were not hot. Are a resort this nice they need a couple big hot tubs at the right temps. People had complained but they were never right.

2. The pool bar is always in the shade and really at a quieter end of the pool. Why not at the main part of the pool??

3. It would have been nice to have music at the pool all day as it was too quiet. The crazy games were kind of lame and I miss the pool entertainment of other resorts.

4. More pool floats!!!

5. The service in the restaurants is slow....really slow... We gave up going to breakfast at a restaurant and went to the buffet instead in Toscana which is very good.

6. Fix the sound system in the theatre - Less bass!!

7. The vendors in the courtyard (not every night) get a little annoying as they beg you to buy something

Overall this is a gorgeous place that never seems crowded, has a fantastic huge beach, a long beautiful pool, and many restaurant options. Not sure how anybody to give it a bad review just for the resort, scenery, and lack of competing for a place to relax. It is not quite a "5" for me overall, but for scenery it would be.

Room Tip: Get an oceanview room. With the pounding ocean you can hear all night it is therapeutic.
12 Thank Jeff C
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

My wife and I just honeymooned at Excellence Punta Cana, and overall we had a very enjoyable experience. There were several positives about the resort, starting with the level of service. Everyone on staff there is more than willing to bend over backwards to make sure you're every need is taken care of. We were in the Excellence Club, so that may have had something to do with it, but at no point was the staff rude or unhelpful. Secondly, the resort is immaculate. They kept the place so incredibly clean and made sure our room was always spotless and filled with goodies. The pool and beach are awesome! Drink service always coming around, and it was very relaxing as there are no kids there.

The only negatives I would say are that the food wasn't as great as advertised. Some of the restaurants were really good, but some left a little to be desired. They may just not cater to American tastes as much as we were hoping. Another negative I would point out is how far away the resort is from the airport, and everything else. It took a good hour and 15 minutes to get to the resort, which doesn't sound too bad, but when you're dieing to get to the beach it can be very frustrating. The last thing that frustrated us was how uncomfortable the bed was. It was rock hard, and made a lot of noises when we moved around.

Overall, great trip, it was all we could want for our honeymoon!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Newlywed85
Fairfax, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

We're in our mid-40s and traveled over Spring Break. Bottom line up front is that we recommend choosing Excellence.

I read many reviews before we booked and then daily until our trip. Here's our summary:

Excellence had a private taxi waiting for us at the airport. $70 w/o tip. Great choice. Yes, the trip is 50 minutes. Expect it and you'll be fine. In fact, you'll get an appreciation for how poor the area is and it might encourage you to tip everyone as we did as much as possible. There are probably 10 workers for every guest and they work hard! They never expected tips, but a dollar to each person who hands you a drink or a meal really means a lot. Go with 50 ones and you'll see a whole lot of smiles. :)

Alcohol was top shelf, plentiful and not watered down at all. Have the coco loco!

The gym was excellent, good equipment, and a staff member was there to make sure everyone had what they needed.

Grounds were BEAUTIFUL, and we were continually amazed and happy just walking off of the beach for a while. Check out the botanical gardens, complete with flamingos and parrots!

If you booked through Expedia, do be careful of Blue Travel Services. The resort should not permit them to place items in your door under the guise that they handle the travel for you. Shame on Blue and Angel (the employee) for their deceptive up-sell tactics.

Our room was in building 14. The room was a bit musty, especially when the air conditioner was running. A few items needed repair. However, once we called it in, it was fixed within 15 minutes. I did not like the fact that our room was almost facing the pump for the hot tub. The sound was loud enough that we could not hear the ocean. I'm sure Excellence would have moved us upon request but it wasn't that big of a deal as we were happy with everything else. I loved the hammock on the ground floor! The resort seemed to have a more "party side" (in the middle where the Excellence Club is located) and our side which was much more quiet. We preferred our quiet side. :)

The food was acceptable (not great but not bad either). If you're expecting a 5-star restaurant, remember that you're not in the states. They prepare food for 800+ adults. That said, we never had to wait in line for food. They have enough buffet stations for everyone. Spice was the best food. Ask for Jonathan to serve you.

The beach was beautiful. We always had chairs and towels. We never felt like we were "on top" of other guests (as we've read about other resorts that were closer to the airport). We did have some bites from sand fleas. After some web research, it's common to Dominican Republic (not just Excellence)... Prepare for it, or stay at the pool. However, the highlight of my vacation was having Breimy bring us drinks and pizza (which was awesome!) to our chairs on the beach or at the pool! Like the other staff, he was hard-working and so friendly, and really helped to make our stay special.

Another thing we really appreciated about the Excellence was that salespeople did not seem to be allowed to bother you when you were on the beach. We had read that at other resorts, pushy salespeople approach people who are relaxing on the beach. Not at Excellence.

Besides Breimy, other staff members who were especially wonderful were: Wendy and Paulo at The Grill, Castillo at Chez Isabelle, and Martinez, who made our delicious breakfast waffles and crepes daily and with a smile!!!

We found it nice that each day, the staff would leave a schedule of activities and events for the following day in your room so that you could plan ahead. There are really cool classes, activities, and evening musical events and shows and it was great to have a heads-up.

The spa was wonderful, too. We had massages both on the beach in an enclosed cabana and inside the spa. Both were beautiful, relaxing experiences, and the water therapy circuit was fun, too!

One more thing... In hindsight, for those with sensitive stomachs, it may not be a bad idea to dose up on yogurt a week before you come to the DR. It's not an Excellence issue, but occasional intestinal upset seems to be pretty common among travelers to this part of the world, and yogurt is a big help. :)

Room Tip: Building 14 was away from the noise and bustle of the rest of the resort, which was nice. However...
9 Thank smartipants27
Ocean Springs, Mississippi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

My husband and I traveled to EPC on a mid-August Saturday to Saturday trip right before a hurricane threatened and impacted the island.

Airport - prepare for it to be hot and humid. Its open air and you will stand in line for some time if you arrive with a lot of flights. Its very confusing and have your arrival money in case. I still dont understand why they do this, but they get money so all I can say is good for them. The airport is pretty with thatched roofs and much nicer than Jamaica Montego Bay.

Drive - do not let anyone help you get to your transfer - they expect money! We went straight to our tour company who then led us to our "luxury" transfer. 2 other couples traveled with us and even with 1 stop at Dreams, we got there in an hour. It was a hot, hot ride!

Arrival - we booked preferred club, but they couldn't find our reservation. After a few minutes, it was resolved. Entrance to the resort is nothing like when we arrived at Sandals Whitehouse, but it was nice.

Room - we were honored with our request for a 3rd floor room. These have high vaulted ceilings. We were there before any renovations occured. Bathroom was DISAPOINTING. Super small shower with the toilet in same area - the room never seemed to dry out. We had a large garden jacuzzi which was nice. We didn't have any of the smells a lot of reviews mentioned. Bedding could be upgraded to fit the price you pay - it was well used and could have made the room so much nicer if it had been upgraded. The bed was hard. We got a mattress pad but it was still very firm. They advertised a pillow menu and we never saw such. I like a comfortable bed and this was the firmest bed I've ever slept on. My husband didn't hate it, but admited he expected something more for the price we paid. TV was nice and the room was spacious. We had plenty of room to move around. Our balcony view was nice also. The air conditioner tries to keep up, but the room never got as cool as we liked it. You get adjusted to it however.

Pool - I was concerned with the 6 pm pool closing, but honestly, we were done always before. This was a concern that soon dimensished. We stayed close to our room and club and used the loungers that were in the water. Best spot ever.

Drinks - I'm not a drinker, but never found the drink I just loved. All very sugary. The people we got to know had several they liked - I mostly stuck with cola light and water.

Food - food was good. Never had a bad meal. My husband wasn't totally happy with the long pants requirement at night and I think they could relax that a bit, but we knew going in so not a huge problem. Spice and Grill were the best - and you could wear shorts to the grill!

Beach - beautiful. Rough but so large. Not many water activities.

Overall, it was a good trip. It met and exceeded some of my expectations and lacked in others. I would recommend the resort to others after some of the renovations are completed. It just needs to be polished up and add some modern features. We enjoyed the trip. Would we return - no. Why? Because I dont plan to return to any resort. I want to travel more and see many areas. Would I go to another Excellence - yes.

Compared to Sandals - I prefer Excellence. 24 hour room service is a big factor. Also, be prepared to frown when others bring up how much they paid for their trip - I left realizing some people probably paid 2k less than us. Oh well, such as life.

Next trips will be to Mexico, Antigua and who knows!

PM me with any questions!

Room Tip: Request a 3rd floor room to get the vaulted ceiling!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jaimegirl
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

Don't get me wrong, this is a very good place - nice resort, very clean, drinks flow - but the food is mediocre. As you drive to the resort, you can see that this is a bountiful country with cattle, poultry and farms. Take advantage of that. I would have loved a Dominican themed restaurants using local ingredients.

5 Thank JJRK_12
York, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

We traveled with a group and had a truly amazing time. Bar staff was excellent and so was the entertainment staff. Could not say the same for housekeeping as it was out house keeper who took 2 pieces of jewelry. I happened with in the first 2 hours of arriving. I had my costume jewelry and a sterling silver anklet and ring along in our carry on. When we were taken to our room, our housekeeper was cleaning so they took our luggage and took us around the resort. We returned not 2 hours later and the only 2 pieces worth any value were taken.

Found the female staff not nearly as pleasant as the males. May return but would be hesitant to take anything with us.

Room Tip: If getting an ocean view, make sure it's not a ground room since their is 6 foot high hedges you...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends