My wife and I just returned from the Excellence Punta Cana for our honeymoon. We spent from April 16 to April 22 enjoying the Excellence in everyway possible. When we arrived at the airport in Puna Cana the taxi we arranged with the resort was there waiting for us. Our driver Javier was fantastic, the ride was bumpy and long, approximately 60 minutes from door to door, but went by relatively quickly.
When we arrived at the resort we were greeted with 2 glasses of champagne, which was welcome after our long trip. We were immediatly taken to the Excellence Club Lounge to check in. The Club is worth every penny. First, it is at the far end of the resort, which is the quieter end of the pool, away from the lobby area. You get an upgraded bar, not just a mini bar, but full sized bottle of liquor, which are replenished should you go through a bottle, which we did, the Dominican rum was amazing. The rooms appeared to be a little bigger than the rooms in the rest of the resort. Some things were a little outdated, the resort is clearly an older resort, but is still well kept and that jsut added to the charm. The Club Lounge was great, finger food selections were offered all day, and there is a full bar with higher end liquors. Also, IPads are available to use in the lounge should you need the interenet. There is free Wi-Fi throughout the resort, so bring you computer/Ipad.
We started every morning working out the the gym, which is amazing. I expected a couple treadmills and some free weights, but what we got was a huge (appeared to be fairly new) gym, with a ton of nice equipment.
Food: For resort food, the food was excellent. If you keep in mind this is a resort and not a 5 star NYC restaurant you will be more than impressed. For breakfast we generally ate at the buffet in Toscana, which offered a large selection of choices. We did order room service one day and had a beautiful breakfast on out balcony overlooking the ocean, which was a perfect way to start the day. Keep in mind room service is available 24/7, but takes forever! It was at least an hour after we ordered, we were told this early on so knew and ordered immediately upon returning from our workout. The food arrived shortly after we were done cleaning up. Lunch at Toscana was also buffet and very good with a huge selection to choose from, we prefered the beach bbq. The had burgers, dogs, nachos, pizzas, french fries and pizza. They also had a daily special, which included ribs and chicken. For dinner we ate at Spice, Chez Isabell, Oregano and Agave (twice). They were all very good, we felt Agave was amazing, on par with a good Mexican restaurant. Spice and Chez were also very good. Oregano was good, we ordered a pizza and a lasagna. Being italian (and originally from NY) I am a bit of a snob when it comes to my lasagna and pizza, but it was good.
Drinks: The bars and bartenders were all amazing. The Coco Loco is a must. We found ourself as regulars a Cafe Kafe, where Felix, Omar, Gabriel and "Shorty" took care of us like we couldn't believe. Those 4 work unbelievably hard to make every guest feel welcome and make sure they are having a great time.
Service, we had no problem with our rooms being cleaned, they were check twice a day. If you do not remove the do not disturb tag, they will not touch your room. Our room was always cleaned by early afternoon and lets face it who needs or wants room service knocking on your door a 10am.
Overall, the Excellence is just that Excellant. Were there a few flaws, of course, it is a resort after all, but nothing that wasn't fixed quickly or easily overlooked. I would highly recommend the Excellence to anyone who wants a nice relaxing time away. We are already planning a return visit for our anniversary next April.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This quaint, colonial-style resort is the ideal destination for couples seeking secluded romantic getaways. Nestled among palms on a perfect white-sand beach on a remote stretch of Punta Cana's Caribbean shoreline, Excellence Punta Cana provides the perfect All-Inclusive playground for adults only and is also home to a world-class spa, state-of-the-art fitness center and an exceptional range of activities and services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Savannahville Tours N.V. and Priceline so you can book your Excellence Punta Cana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secrets Excellence Punta Cana
- Excellence Resort Punta Cana
- Excellence Punta Cana Resort
- Secrets Punta Cana
- Excellence Punta Cana Dominican Republic
- Excellence Dominican Republic
- Punta Cana Excellence Hotel
- Excellence Punta Cana Hotel
- Secret Excellence Resort Punta Cana
- Punta Cana Secrets Excellence