“Excellente” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Clifton, New Jersey
“Excellente”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2012

All the staff we encountered were most helpful and accomodating. The bartenders at the beach bar especially Omar kept the drinks fresh and also joked around with us. This was our 2nd trip (April) there this year and alot of the resort people remembered us. The hostesses at Toscana restaurant were equally friendly.
Every thing is kept clean even the beach is raked and debris picked up
every morning.
Entertainment every night and a show on the main stage.
The only complaint on this 2nd trip were mosquitos (no sees) but lots of bites. Be aware and find a deterent before hand. B complex vitamins
& dryer sheets have been rumored aids but we didn't have access at the time. Not a problem in April.

Room Tip: Building 6 any floor new rooms were very comfortable.
1 Thank tommygunn923

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,495)
  • Korean first
Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2012

We just returned from Excellence last night. It was our first trip ever to the Carribean and we picked our resort very carefully as we are somewhat picky about accomodations and food.

We were not disappointed at all with this resort. My husband who hates travelling is already talking about going back.

We had a swim-up room with a hammock. It was ocean view, although you could barely see the ocean. To us this was not a big deal since they had upgraded us to this room. As other reviewers had mentioned it would not be worth paying extra for. We were north facing and spent most of our time relaxing in our little backyard in our hammock reading books. I am very fair skinned and did not even get burnt (without sunscreen) as our patio area was nicely shaded. Most of this resort is open-air concept....the hallways through the room areas, the main reception area and many of the restaurants. There was always that nice breeze blowing through and it was very refreshing.

This resort was quiet - there was no roudy party animals....the pool closes at 8 pm, which might help with this.

Most of our time was spent at the Martini bar - the service there (and everywhere) was amazing. I have heard other reviews of all-inclusives where they appear to water down the drinks....not at all here. They are not shy with the liquor and will mix them quite strong if you don't tell them not to. Premium liquor all round, and they would mix you just about anything you could think of. Highly recommend the banana mamas.

There were lots of activities that you could do, but we honestly didn't do them as we were content relaxing by the pool. There was lots of space on any given day, lots of lounge chairs and privacy.

At every restaurant, the food arrived very fast and the servers were very prompt to fill your drinks. Again, my husband is a very picky eater, in a meat-and-potatoes kind of way. At every restaurant there were good selections....it was tasty, presented nice and right sized portions. Only complaint was that they tend to not salt or pepper their food, and you had to add this yourself (if you could get it out of the shaker).

Regarding service, it was amazing. They often referred to you by name. If you didn't get your bar restocked or your room serviced (because of the do not disturb sign) they would call you and find out when they could come and do it. Our in room bar was stocked full - full 40s of top shelf liquor in the room. We only took $200 US with us in $1 and $5 bills and this was more than sufficient for tipping. We typically tipped the bar tenders that were serving us the most a few times during the week, and typically tipped at each meal.

As with the other reviews, the only complaint we have is the travel from the airport. We flew West Jet and were therefore transported by HOLA tours to the hotel. The van was very cramped. We had to stop at 5 other hotels to drop off other passengers before reaching the Excellence which was the last stop. This turned the 40 minute direct ride to the hotel into a 2 hour ordeal. If we go again we will definately be arranging private taxi or car service. If I were the manager of this resort I would seriously consider offering a shuttle to the airport as this is the common complaint among guests.

Room Tip: Get a hammock! It is worth it!
3 Thank Carrie P
Waterloo, Iowa, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2012

Loved my experience at Excellence resort in Punta Cana, DR-from the room service to the service at the restaurants, from the people to the excellent views all around me, everything was divine, my honeymoon was truly paradise, and thanks to the staff whom works at the resort, they made it that much better. I especially give a thanks to the one and only best bartender, Juan!

Room Tip: Garden View is what we had, so every morning I saw the mountain range to my left, and than saw palm...
3 Thank Nicole P
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2012

We stayed at the Excellence Resort from November 23 - 30, 2012. We were there with as a group of couples. The resort is located almost an hour away from the airport so prepare for a bit of journey there but it is well worth it once you arrive. You also get to see the countryside so the ride is an experience in itself.

Pools:

The pools are beautiful and extend from one end of the hotel to another. You can always find a nice spot to settle into and can guarantee a waiter will be available for food and drinks. There a cascade pool that is kind of off to the side that is a bit deeper and quieter (very relaxing if you want to escape the main area)

Beach:

The beach is absolutely gorgeous. The resort is located closer to the Atlantic side so the waves are quite strong but really fun to jump and play around in. When it's sunny the ocean is a darker turquoise colour. The beach beds are very comfortable you can lay around all day. Omar usually works the beach and is always on top of everything. He was a pleasure to meet and is truly a hard working employee who goes above and beyond to make guests happy.

Food:

The Grill was surprisingly one of the best ones and you could dress casually for dinner which was nice. Most of the restaurants required a dress code that was quite strictly enforced. We really like Spice which was Asian cuisine and very good.

Rooms:

We had a junior garden suite which was nice and roomy. The beds are a bit hard is my only complaint. We didn't upgrade to the Club and still have a great experience and service.

Staff:

Everyone at the hotel was more than helpful and an absolute delight to have met.

I would definitely return to this resort in the future and am still day dreaming about my wonderful vacation.

1 Thank Simz A
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2012

We have been to the Excellence many times and love it here. Moya is one of our favorite bartenders in addition to Jose and Victor. They are all very personable, make great drinks, speak very good English and remember what we like to drink. Upon arriving the other day, we talked to Jose and Victor but couldn't find Moya. We finally found him at the deserted Sports Bar. A waste of talent.

Miami Beach, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2012

Concerns: I recently returned from my 2nd trip to Punta Cana, DR. My original trip was booked through CC.com and based on that prior experience, I was pretty excited and confident that this return trip would be just as enjoyable. I stayed at La Meila for my first trip, and was more than satisified with the service, food, landscape, cleaninless, and variety of venues. For my return trip, I decided to book our stay at the Excellence Resorts. I carefully read many reviews from past CC.com guest who had stayed here in the past. Based on CC.com summary assessment across key attributes, such as food, service,value, etc. I felt really comfortable investing signficantly more $$ into this trip than my first ever all inclusive less than a year back. We departed from our hometown Miami on Thanksgiving day and were off to begin vacation. There were no issues with our inbound flight and we decided to arrange our own transportation to hotel. We were promptly greeted by the hotel staff and assigned a room based on our preference to be in a quiet area that was also somewhat centrally located to all major restaurants and key hotel venues. We were brought to our room and once settled we decided to head out for dinner. From that point on our vacation and experience with both CC.com and Excellence was a complete disaster, so much so that we cut our vacation short and returned home one day earlier. I am writing this review to spare anyone from wasting their time and money as well as to help them avoid embarking on a vacation that would be filled with nightmares instead of the happy memories a vacation should be remembered for. Before I address all the issues encountered, please note that our displeasure was shared with hotel management and CC.com representatives via phone conversations while on site and in person vwith hotel mgmt while on resort. Given the volume of issues we encountered we met with hotel officials so frequently that our vacation never really begun. While speaking with a CC.com representative I asked if we could change hotels. There were no hotel of equal or better quality available and I certainly was not going to take a step down and risk even greater dissapointment by choosing to be moved to a lower rated hotel. I was also told that if I did in fact change hotels, that I would incure a penalty equal to 2 nights. I could not justify spending another dime on this already expensive and disaster of a vacation. The below are all the issues we encountered and how they were either resolved, attempted to be resolved and failed miserably trying, or perhaps even more disturbing completely ignored. 1. Dinner at the French Restauraunt. Arrive @ 830. My girlfriend orders her wine and receives within first minute, I order a beer and do not receive for atleast 10 minutes, no explanation, no apology for obviously forgetting. 2. Our dinner arrives and seafood was clearly not fresh and tasted like it had been flown in frozen and cooked the night before. Despite a restuaraunt that is not even half full, no server ever asks how our meal was. 3. I order coffee at same restauraunt and wait 10 minutes, and get a coffee that is cold. I ask for a new coffee and express that I would like it to be fresh and hot. I wait another 10 minutes for it to return, only to be given even colder coffee than the first time. 4. We leave restauraunt and server team is at front all talking to eachother rather loudly and fighting about something unknown to us. They clearly didn't want to be there and based on the service we didn't receive it was clear someting was wrong with all of them. Additionaly, the wait staff at this restaurant has sauce stains up and down his shirt sleeve, making us wonder about the cleanliness of this resort. The next day at Toscana the tablecloth has stains, the drapes and curtains have holes in them, and again our new waitress has stains up and down her uniform. This shows how consistent the resort was with their lack of attention to detail and cleanliness. 5. Later that night we go back home to unwind and draw the hot tub. The faucet opens and rusty water begins to fill the tub. We stop the tub rinse it out and then restart the process. Once full we put water jets on and water starts squirting all over the bathroom towards the ceiling. A complete disaster. We tell the staff the next day and they say they will fix. The following night we return back to our room with hottub filled with water and rose pedals. A decent effort. The champagne they leave is also a nice effort all be a $10 bottle, left on the counter by the tv. If they really wanted us to enjoy the bathtub, they could've had the champagne chilled, or provide matches for the candle in the room. Instead there is an empty matchbox, thus making the candle useless. Any chance for Romance is out the window now. 6. While trying to clean up the mess from the hot tub issue, we try to wash our hands only to find there is no soap provided in the bathroom. 7. We try to order room service several times, and the average wait is 1 hour. After waiting more than an hour for lunch, the order arrives and is incorrect. 10 minutes later the hotel calls back to say they realize the order is incorrect and that the sandwich we ordered is on its way. I ordered a simple peanut butter and jelly sandwich. When the room service attendant arrives he shows up with what I think is my sandwich. When I remove the lid, I am astonished to find, peanut butter and jelly, but no sandwich. I didn't know what else to do but laugh, the incompetency of this resort was making me and my girlfriend go crazy. 8. We meet with manager of customer service to tell him about all our restauraunt issues and he assures us if given another chance, they will exceed our expecatation. I decide to give them a chance and have them reccomend where we should have dinner for our 2nd night. We go to SPICE. Our server Martinez, although young and nervous, is up to the challenge and provides us with an amazing dinner expereince and service. We think we are out of the storm now and that our vacation is going to get better. WRONG! 9. The next morning we view all the facilitites and try to use many of the amenenties listed in the hotel guide. My girlfriend and I decide on min golf. We go to the course only to find a 7 hole mini golf course that has grass about an inch thick. How can you play mini golf when the ball can't roll because of the length of grass. This was absolutely pathetic. As a result, no one plays. 10. We decide we would like to participate in the pilates class @ 3pm. We go to the gym 15 minutes early incase there is a line. We wait till 3 and no one shows up. We find gym management and they inform us that the schedule has been altered and that there is no class today. we plan our afternoon around this 3pm class only to have it cancelled with no notice. We go back to hotel mgmt to explain and they are equally surprised. This points out the lack of communication each department has with one another and the lack of culture and interest in providing customers with excellence service. 11. At this point, we decide to make the next day the best we can. The weather is crappy, but there is some sun so we go to the pool. We read and relax. We decide drinks would be nice. The drinks are not made with real fruit rather frozen syrups drenched in sugars and preservatives that would make anyone feel sick. 12. It starts to rain, so we decided to go back to room and read there. Maybe take a nap. Any hope for this to happen is completely derailed, as construction workers in the next room begin to drill, saw, paint, talk loud, and provide us with construction fumes that make our room very uncomfortable to be in, all this on a Saturday. At this point, we feel trapped and our patience has pushed the breaking point. IT should be pointed out that the day before the consutrucdtion workers began working in the same adjacent room at 230pm. I went out to talk to them on this frist day and asked how long they would be. They informed me a half hour. They kept working all the way to 6pm. When asked if they would be working on Saturday they said no. Obviously they lie, and again the hotel mgmt has no answer as to why this occurs. They simply say we can move you to a room. We have less than 2 days left and have been dealing with issues almost hourly. The last thing we want to do is pack. They volunteer to pack out stuff, but does anyone really want someone else touching their personal belongings and valuables? We tell them we want to leave resort and they understand. I ask for some type of compensation like a massage treatment for my girlfriend. They say sure. Rather than book an appointment for her that day as I suggessted, they say that it will be no problem to book an appointment same day. Needless to say this never happens and my GF never receives any type of reward for our construction experience. 13. We ask for another dinner recommendation. We go to Lobster House, and our provided with a complimentary bottle of white wine =9$ RSP in US. Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc. $9 is going to cover the $2200 we paid for this vacation? You have got be kidding me. The couple next to us is obviously having their own issues with hotel. Their meal is served, and less than 2 minutes after, they simply both get up and leave. The staff is unaware that both left nor have any clue as to why. Again no communication between eachother, and no attention to cutsomer service detail whatsoever. 14. We decide to call American Airlines and get the hell off this island. We pay $375 dollars to change our airfare. We receive help from hotel to call AA and schedule a taxi for 5am Sunday morning. We are now leaving almost 36 hours earlier than what we planned, down $almost $450 with cab and airfare fees. 15. We call hotel for a 430 wake up call. While making reservations for this wake up call, the attendantn kindly asks if we would like to order any breakfast for our departure. They inform us that this would not be a problem at all. We order coffee, yogurt, and granola cereal to be delivered at 430 the following morning. We wake up get ready, and the breakfast never comes. 16. We check out, provided with our receipt and not asked how our stay was 17. The cab the hotel reserves, has vomit in the back seat and we can't leave until it is clean or else we will be adding to the filth based on us getting sick. 18. We finally, get to the airport and get the hell out of this nightmare of vacation 19. IT's a Sunday night, back in Miami and I have to write this letter and invest even more time from what should 've been my vacation. I have to write it soon, because hotel and CC.com need to provide me with ample compensation ASAP. I don't have time to go back and forth trying to explain the same story to both parties. I have to work like everyone else and travel weekly for my career I'm awaiting a response. My next steps our to post my review which is essentially the above to both websites. I will also seek out social media to inform friends and loved ones of this terrible expereince and urge them not to consider this resort or website, unless of course both parties can admit to their wrong doing and provide their customers with not only an explanation, but a refund that will allow them to get back what they were deprived, namely relaxation, service, great food and beverage, and perhaps the most important beautiful memories. $2200 down the drain and not even one picture to show for it. The worst vacation we have ever been on. The resort being named Excellence is by far the biggest disconnect. Perhaps other guests are happy because they have never been to carribean or a so called 4 star resort. The annual vacation goer knows diffferent and will not tolerate this type of service or expereince again. Dominican Republic is now a distant memory and we are forced to search elsewhere for our next vacation. I expect to be contacted with an explanation as to why this resort and CC.com website were so inaccurate. We feel robbed of our time, money, and vacation. We expect our voice to be heard and request your committment to resolve for not only future guests, but most importantly us.

Room Tip: They are all outdated
29 Thank philippe c
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2012

My wife and I went here for our honeymoon in September. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and would gladly go back. We were part of the excellence club program and we would recommend this to others. Here's a breakdown of our experience at Excellence:

Service - This was top notch. Everyone was so friendly and the staff constantly went out of their way for us. They were always smiling and saying hello to us. A minor note is that it's helpful to speak a little Spanish, especially if you want specific things. However, I'm sure this isn't exclusive to Excellence. Also, service at restaurants could be a bit hit or miss. We never encountered anyone rude per se, but some definitely stood out over others. We had one guy at Spice who was on top of everything, just always refilling our drinks, getting us seconds on the courses we wanted, doing everything quickly, etc. etc. (thanks Martinez!) And then we had a guy at Barcelona who mixed up my soup order twice by giving me a soup that wasn't on the menu. I know the difference between cream of mushroom and split pea, but apparently he didn't. And I speak a little Spanish, so this wasn't exactly a language barrier issue. But anyway, outside of him (and he wasn't rude, just not knowledgeable), our other servers were great. As for tipping, we tipped all our servers and anyone that went out of their way. It's not mandatory to tip, but the staff really go through a lot. They have a long commute with long hours, and the least you can do is tip them a dollar or two. If you ask 10 people, you'll probably get 10 different answers on tipping, but we chose to tip every chance we could b/c they deserved it and they earned it.

Food - There are a variety of restaurants to choose from, but be aware that some are closed on certain nights. The nice thing is you don't need reservations, and since it's all you can eat, you can go to one restaurant and then go to another in the same night. It was very convenient not having to wait in long lines for dinner. In fact, we only waited our last night there, and the wait wasn't very long. Just like a lot of reviews say on here, the food is a matter of perspective. If you go in expecting a 5 star meal like at a steakhouse in New York, then you will be disappointed. If you go in expecting so so fare, then you'll be delighted. Bottom line, the food can be hit or miss. My wife and I did not enjoy Barcelona at all, but we loved Spice and went there twice on our trip. I also thought the selection at the buffet was very good, especially their papaya! That being said, you can't necessarily get some of the common things you can at home. My wife loves ranch dressing, but they didn't have your typical ranch dressing there. So things like that can be frustrating when it comes to food. On the other hand, you can go to the Lobster House and order as much lobster as you want. So again, every person will have their own experience with the food. If you're super picky, it might not be for you. If you're open minded, you will definitely find food you like.

Resort - The resort itself is gorgeous. The pools are beautiful and the beach is breathtaking. The pools have plenty of chairs and these great covered beds. The beach also has shaded chairs and the covered beds, not to mention the beautiful sand and the gorgeous view. I just loved sitting on the beach and relaxing. Plus they have servers at both the pool and beach in case you want a drink. Speaking of which, the drink selection is fantastic. We enjoyed several tropical drinks that we'd never had before. We definitely recommend the banana mama! Nothing beats swimming to the pool bar and enjoying a nice drink. It was just all so relaxing. Servers also come around with pizzas, plus they'll take orders for food from the Grill. I'm not sure if this was a club perk or not, but we definitely enjoyed it. There are a couple things I should mention though. We were surprised to learn that the pool closes at 6 so that they can clean them out. We were a little taken aback by this since we figured we might want to relax at night, but this ultimately did not affect our plans. By the time you're done lounging all day and then going out for a nice dinner and show, you have no energy for night swimming. The other thing I should mention is that the ocean is a little too choppy to swim in. You can definitely go in, but you can't swim out too far b/c they usually have the warning flags up. I was surprised by this, but again, it really didn't affect our vacation. I spent more time lounging with my drink on the chairs then I did in the ocean. The last thing I'll mention is the towels. They do run out of beach towels early, so that can be a pain if you don't wake up on time. Our concierge was able to help us, but I'm not sure that will apply to non club members. And this was in September during the off season, so I can't imagine what it's like during the busy season. Although I will say it was very easy to get chairs and beds, even getting up in the afternoon. I'm not sure this will apply during the busy season either.

Rooms - We had a junior club suite ocean view on the second floor. We had a good view of the pool, but an obstructed view of the beach. If you want a good view of the beach, you probably have to ask for the third floor. The only nice part of being on the second floor was our proximity to the club lounge. As for the room itself, we thought it was beautiful, but it did have some flaws. It wasn't one of the renovated ones, so that might explain some things. There were some small cracks here and there plus some older furniture. The outlets are not like in the U.S. While the current is the same, the outlet itself is only one plug, and there aren't many outlets. Plus we were getting brownouts while we were there, and we think it might've been because we had an extension cord plugged in (due to the lack of outlets). So we stopped using it and the brownouts did cease. So in conclusion, if you have laptops and tablets and phones like we did, you might find it inconvenient to plug everything in. With that said, we still really did enjoy the room. We had a beautiful king size bed that we just sunk into every night. We slept so well on that bed that we never wanted to get out of it! The tub was big and the rainfall shower was great! Plus there's a bench in the shower so you can just sit and relax, and even watch TV out the window (yes, there's a window in the shower). Plus it had a nice big safe, a well stocked fridge, a nice selection of liquor (good stuff like Johnny Walker Black, though this might just be a club thing), and a balcony. And it had a nice little banner over the front saying that we were honeymooners (a nice little touch for club members). Also, the maid service was great. We would constantly get towel swans with rose petals, and we'd get turn down service every night with a program of the next day's activities, a mint, and bottled water.

Club - We really enjoyed the perks of being club members. The lounge has free internet along with a buffet of food for club members. It was nice to run in there and grab a couple snacks. The internet is much faster in the lounge compared to the rooms. They also had iPads we could use along with dvds to borrow. It was nice having our own concierge to talk to whenever we wanted. We would constantly walk over there and ask our concierge all sorts of questions. They would even help us with getting towels whenever we got up too late. Checking in and out is convenient too as you avoid the lines at the front desk. They also helped us with making spa reservations, honeymoon package reservations, etc. As a club member, you get your own section of the pool and beach.

Honeymoon Package - One of the main draws for us was the excellent honeymoon package that came with a club suite. This included a bottle of champagne and a fruit basket upon arrival, one breakfast in bed, a moonlight dinner on the beach, a massage at the spa, and horseback riding, The breakfast in bed was just room service, but it was still nice. We really enjoyed our couples massage. We liked it so much that we booked another massage with the spa. The private dinner on the beach was exquisite. Nothing beats eating lobster by moonlight on the beach. You have your choice of several meal options (surf and turf, steak, etc). You are served dinner under a canopy right on the beach. It wasn't exactly private though as there are neighboring canopies with other couples, but it's not like you can see or really even hear them. So I mention it for full disclosure, but it was still private. The horseback riding was just a slow ride down the beach with other people, but still a nice perk.

Excursions - We ended up doing the zip lining and swimming with the dolphins Both were so much fun. The zip lining was done through Canopy tours, and it was extremely safe. They check your gear, then double check your gear, and then check it again, plus they use a double zip line. We would recommend going in the morning as it's not as hot, though it will still be hot since it's in the middle of the jungle. Also, the ride there is bumpier than the usual driving. Outside of those 2 things, we highly recommend it. Our other excursion was also great. It was through Dolphin Explorer, and we were able to do several tricks with the dolphins. We were riding on their fins and having them jump over us. It was just such a unique experience.

Miscellaneous - A couple other things worth mentioning. Driving in Dominican Republic is pretty crazy. All the drivers brake suddenly, turn sharply, pass constantly, and they do all this on unpaved roads. It's not life threatening, but it's worth being warned about! Also, the Excellence felt like an hour from the airport, so be prepared for a ride. Speaking of the airport, that place has very little air conditioning, so be ready to sweat if you have a long wait. We also wanted to mention the room service. Some days we'd have to call several times just to get our order through, and they'd still forget something or botch something in the order. Plus there was one time that they were rude to us over the phone. I'm not sure if this was a language barrier issue or not, but it was worth mentioning here. Other days they'd get it right on the first try and throw in extras while they were at it. It was very hit or miss, so just a warning. Also, we bought some cameras in the shops down there, and they would not allow us to return them since we used credit cards. So again, just a friendly warning. The resort also had a lot of activities and shows, but we didn't get a chance to experience these, so we're not able to comment on them. On a final note, we just wanted to give a shout out to our excursion coordinator Hermes. We scheduled an excursion with him that we had to postpone and ultimately cancel, and he was able to move it back for us and then refund us. He was great and we really appreciated his service. He was with Prieto Tours, so not really Excellence, though they do have a desk there.

In conclusion, we hope this review helped. We were very pleased with our trip and we would return in a heartbeat. Ultimately, you will decide how much you enjoy your vacation. Excellence has all the elements to provide a great vacation, but its up to you to enjoy it. The resort is not without its flaws, but they will not be enough to prevent you from finding paradise like we did.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple