“vacaciones maravillosas” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #47 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Miami, Florida
“vacaciones maravillosas”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

la habitacion q reservamos no estaba disponible ya q viaje con mi esposa y mis 4 hijos ( 12,10 ,5 ,2meses ) , queriamos una habitacion con puerta de acceso comun pero nos dieron dos habitaciones separadas , luego nos ofrecieron una habitacion ( junior suit ) muy bonita pero el espacio un poco limitado, de vuelta al lobby la manager del hotel nos ofrecio una suit amplia y donde podrian colocar una cama adicional para mis hijos ...nos instalaron alli linda la habitacion en frente del mar ( area vip ) .... pero todo luego fue muy bien , mis hijos se divirtieron ya q tienen programas para todas las edades todo el dia..... la comida muy variada y ellos no tuvieron problemas >> los empleados muy amables y atentos y siempre cuando requeria de sus servicios siempre ayudaron ... gracias. seguro q regresaremos. ( para los q van con bebes lleven algo para proteger la cuna como un mosquitero ya puede haber alguno por alli ) .

Room Tip: habitaciones q miren hacia el mar es muy lindo ver el amanecer y la brisa fresca. la pisina es mu...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank juan r

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (713)
  • Polish first
Farmington Hills, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2011

Beach and pool areas are amazing. We booked VIP so we had access to a separate pool away from the masses and entertainment crew. Entertainment crew is great. They're just on all the time!! It was nice to be able to get awayto a much quieter area. Beach runs the length of the Riu properties. Great for morning jog or walk.

Rooms were large. We were in the VIP area with a jacuzzi suite. No privacy to bathroom area. Fine for a couple. Challenging for siblings. Decor was bad but I think its a DR thing. Their houses are bright colors too.

Food was typical for all inclusive. Lots of native cuisine but nothing to write home about. Ate a lot of pasta. Japanese restaurant was the best. Need to get up early to go down and make reservations as restaurants are small.

Mosquitos are an issue. You're in the tropics! Get over it. Keep doors shut and run ceiling fan. They gave us bug spray when we asked and after a couple of nights it was a non issue. Strong breezes make it safe outside. This was probably a new construction thing as their natural environment was disturbed. Should get better with time.

People were courteous and friendly.

Overall had a great time. Would do it again in a heart beat!!!

• Stayed December 2011
22 Thank Kiwindinok
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2011

Arriving only 14 days after its grand opening, everything is absolutely pristine. the staff is so incredibly nice and i feel as though something is ALWAYS being cleaned. The rooms are beautiful--each with a balcony to sit and enjoy a drink in the warm breeze and people watch. The restaurants offer good food (specialty restaurants a little better quality then the buffet, obviously)...not great food, but you'll never be hungry and have plenty to choose from. The decor of the hotel is modern--I personally am more attracted to the Riu Palace Punta Cana which is about a 10 minute walk down the beach--but the Bavaro is far better quality in terms of service, cleanliness, entertainment, pools, and the beach itself. The beach is immaculate--take a walk down toward the Iberostar complex and it's not as clean looking as at the entire Riu complex and the Bavaro absolutely has the best lounge chairs, too! once the landsaping has the time to fully grow in, this hotel is going to be even more beautiful than it already is!

5 Thank Jeremy M
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2011

Well, I will start by saying that this all inclusive is a beautiful place, from the minute we walked in, we were taken aback by the colors and overall surroundings.

My wife and I were given a complimentary beverage while they were looking up our reservation, and it was ok, a little sweet for me, but fine. After getting our room keys we had about a 10 minute ealk to our jr. suite, and all we could say was WOW! What a gorgeous room
and being that this hotel had just opened a wek or so before our arrival, we were impressed.

From the jacuzzi tub, as well as the stand-up shower, to the stocked fridge and of coarse the liquor cabinet which had 4 bottles on tap and that was before we walked through the sliding door outside to another jacuzzi which can fit 2. We also had a view to the pool which was nice, but the only thing I can say about the view would be that i guess you have to give some time for the rest of the landscaping to get done.

Food was fantastic compared to the other all inclusive my wife an I had stayed in pryor to this place, as far as the buffets were concerned. What we didnt like was the fact that if you didn't make reservations to any of the other restaurants that day between 7-9 am, you wouldn't be able to have dinner at any of them. It took me 2 1/2 days to make a reservation, because it's hard to get up before 9, this is supposed to be a vacation isn't it?! When I finally did make the reservation, it was because I got fed up and decided to ask one of the managers to make it for me, which he did without hesitation, that was a definite plus!

Aside from that, the staff was ok, I guess they were more robotic here than what we had encountered at the DREAMS. The entertainment was really good, and aside from some unruly people, we definitely enjoyed our stay and will visit another RIU in the future

Room Tip: Jr. suite with a jacuzzi in the vip area would be a good bet. You have a main pool steps from your d...
43 Thank papisan
Peterborough
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2011

Wow! Where do I start. We stumbled upon the add for the grand opening of the Riu Palace Bavaro and were a little leary about booking because reviews said "never go opening week". We researched and found little except a few tourist construction videos. We were both nervous and excited but decided to book anyway, thinking being the first ones there would be pretty neat. This turned out to be a great decision as we had the trip of a lifetime. From the moment we entered the front doors, we were floored. The grand lobby was breathtaking. The colours and style made us say WOW! We were welcomed with the biggest smiles and a tasty cocktail. We were checked in very smoothly but were given a room a little too far for my wife to walk to the beach every day with her bad feet. We inquired about moving a little closer and to our surprise were upgraded to a villa right near the beach and pools. Wow! Riu is not kidding when they say they aim to please. I guess going opening day helped as well as they were not up to capacity. We had a couple of small problems which we were expecting but they were handled promptly. As our room was supposed to be vacant it was not quite ready. The phone was not connected, the bar fridge not turned on, and liquor dispensor empty but all were fixed very quickly. A small inconvenience to stay in paradise. All was forgotten as soon as we looked at the beautiful room and the view from our balcony. We had to pinch ourselves wondering when someone was going to pull the rug out from under us. We did a quick tour of the room then went for a walk to see the rest of this masterpiece resort. We looked past the landscapeing knowing it will be lush very shortly and focused on the layout. The VIP area was superb for a nice relaxing retreat. The Sensimar section was a little different but didn't affect us as there was more than enough other real estate to enjoy.The main pool area was perfectly designed and this is where we spent most of our time anyways. The staff was very friendly and went out of their way to make us feel like royalty. We tried learning a little Spanish and found that they appreciated the effort and we developed a bond very quickly. My favourite experiences of the trip were with the AMAZING annimation team. I can't say enough about their enthusiasm and their neverending desire to make you feel special. It would not have been the same without them! The restaurants were fabulous and the selections were enormous. The food was superb as were the staff who remembered your face everyday and treated you like you were the most important person there. The beach was gorgeous with plenty of mature palms and lots of loungers. The night time entertainment was outstanding with lots of variety and very talented performers. I still can't believe they finished on time and with so few problems. We can't wait to go back so we can have a second trip of a lifetime and meet more amazing friends like we did at the pool and playing all the games with the staff. Great job RIU. Bet you can't top this one!!!!! Gotta go , may write more later.. DAVE from PUNTA CANADA

Room Tip: Villas are the perfect location, close to beach and pools where you will spend most of your time
16 Thank PeterboroughSophie
Quebec, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2011

Stayed here for a few days during the second week the hotel was open. Have stayed at Riu's in the past in the DR, and this one needs work. Check in was painfully long and the first room we were given was terrible with a view of the garbage area. Finally settled into our room after keys not activated, nice view of beach, but the hallway stank like sewage the whole trip and one elevator was always out of service. Had no bottled water, called the front desk and it arrived promptly....8 hours later when we were sleeping. Oh, the front desk takes bribes for upgrades apparently. Cash only
Hotel is new yes, but fancy no. It was in my mind "cheesy" - purples, pinks, gold, ack! The rooms are big enough, but stark and cold. Beds are very firm and the pillows very flat. The shower in the room is great, nice big rain head and a separate room for the toilet. Toilet paper is another thing you may not have and will have to request some only to have it arrive days later. TV is touch and go, channels 2, 4 and in the 30's are english.
Food all tasted the same, from french fries to chicken to pasta to bacon - it all had the same bland taste. We survived on the the nice fresh fruit all week. My stomach was happy to get back home. The staff in the main dinning room however were attentive and lovely, happy to tip them at the end of our stayed, they earned it. We didn't get involved in any of the "activities" on the resort - dancing lessons, pool aerobics, darts etc, again terribly cheesy. Pool area was roudy, for any kind of relaxation head down to the beach (some topless women, and not the ones you want to see either according to the men!). The beach was windy and filled with seaweek all week long but that's not the hotel's fault.
'Strange' (low?) class of people at this resort...perhaps because of cheap sales during opening month. I saw one woman trying to assault a stranger for no reason. I wouldn't classify it as 5 stars in the least. I suggest going to Jamaica - we are certainly done with the DR. At least I have a nice tan....

Room Tip: Go to another resort
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
21 Thank LufTravel
Silver Spring, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2011

We stayed during the first full week of December 2011. We booked the vacation because we wanted to experience an opening of a Riu hotel and it was a great value. I will break out the components of the resort stay that are of importance to me.

CheckIn/Checkout
Process was a bit lengthy, but I will attribute this to being a newly opened resort. I believe the process will improve over time. Customer service was great with an added complimentary beverage when you arrived. Bell hops were friendly and informative. Checkout was smooth and seamless. Staff spoke all languages fluently.

Room
We had a double bed room with a whirlpool tub. We liked the walk in shower with the lilly pad shower head. We did not like the two double beds pushed together and due to the structural design, you could not move the two beds apart. Since I was traveling with a friend, we didn't like the beds being so close together. Major bummer! Although the beds were very firm, we actually slept really well on the beds! We did experience a few mosquitos in the room, but we were not alarmed by the amount. A nice all inclusive feature in the rooms was the bar, where you could pour your own gin, whiskey, etc. We are not big drinkers, but we thought it was a nice feature.

Landscaping
The hotel is still new, so the landscaping still needs significant time to grow into typical resort landscaping. Once the grass, trees and bushes grow, I am sure it will be absolutely beautiful!

Pools/Beach
The pool is lovely! I loved the ramp walk in to the pool for those with disabilities. The pool and pool area were cleaned frequently. Bonus! We did not like the one towel policy. The lounge chairs are sturdy and comfortable. The pool bartenders and wait staff are friendly and engaging. We particularly loved Gregario! He checked on our drinks periodically, regardless of a tip. The beach is a bit rough, but much more well kept than other all inclusive resorts I have visited. The waves crash close to shore and the currents are strong, so keep that in mind if you are planning to swim. Most people were on some type of craft (boat, jet ski, parasail, etc.) on the beach. I did not like that the bathroom wasn't clearly marked, so I ended up using the restroom in the Taino restaurant which is adjacent to the pool area.

Entertainment/Activities
The resort offers dance classes, water aerobics, cricket, aerobics, stretching and a few others. The problem is that they only have one board which is easily missed which gives you the schedule of activities. I suggest that they print out a weekly schedule and include it during checkin. However, the entertainment crew were lots of fun! I went to aerobics with Freddy which was a good 30 minute workout and went to water aerobics with Spaghetti. Both were a lot of fun and great exercise! We also talked a lot with Matilda and Carolina. At night, the same crew would be the show "minglers," aftter the nightly show. I went to one of the shows and it was pretty decent.

The food was average, with a few hit or misses. I enjoyed the breakfast buffet, but hated that the juices were from concentrate. I loved the traditional Dominican foods and the typical American fare that was provided. The lunch buffet was a bit boring and typical - pasta/pizza, meat dish, chicken dish, sides, hamburgers, fries, etc. The dinner buffet was better, offering several stylized small plates, but unfortunately lacked flavor. The desserts were awful.
The Italian restaurant was ok, but didn't get to try Krystal. I think the dinner reservation process needs to be reviewed because there were many angry people over the dinner reservation process. The alcoholic beverages were weak and below standard. However, overall, the food was much better than some other DR all inclusive resort buffets and a la carte restaurants.

Gym
I thing there needs to be more signage around the property. I would have missed the gym completely, if I didn't run into the spa and ask the staff. Luckily, the gym was located in the spa. Towels were complimentary and the gym was clean. However, I think they should have more than six pieces of cardio equipment because there was almost a line forming for bikes and treadmills. However, great air flow and great airy, open and bright design with a full wall mirror. The strength training equipment was minimal, but effective.

Nightclub
Pacha reminds you of a whole in the wall nightclub, but there is something really attractive about it. The club is for locals and guests and there is no cover fee for guests. The bar is cash bar, but it has it's own character and personality and they play a current song list of American pop, merengue and bachata hits. Nice!

Overall, I think the resort will mature into a very well run, beautiful resort. The resort is not a 5 star, but I don't think it needs to be if it continues to maintain a really cost-efficient price. You will feel like you are in a nice resort and you can visit other Riu resorts in the complex for free when you become bored of your own resort. Very nice overall!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends