“Wonderful”

Ranked #15 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Wonderful”
Reviewed 12 March 2012

Just got back from the Palladium Palace, and had a wonderful time. The food was wonderful and plentiful. No shortage of staff on hand. Your on holidays, so what if you have to wait a little longer for something. Your in the Dominican, remember...! Hola to all the pool bar staff at the palace, you were awesome!! Rene, Yanet and william!!! Met wonderful people from all across Canada, made some great memories. Would definately come back here! No vendors on the beach in front of the resort, yes they are pushy but they are just trying to earn a living. Just say no, smile and continue walking. Beach and water was amazing. Staff are very friendly. Thanks everyone for making our holiday one to remember!!!

• Stayed March 2012
4 Thank Reba75

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (550)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Montreal
Reviewed 11 March 2012

We had a loft and it was good because each child had his own bed. Good variety of restaurants and good food. Nice staff, those that serve customers usually speak more than one language (French, English, Spanish and German). Large complex but once you get acquainted you're ok. Activities by the beach and pool. Had to go to the Punta Cana hotel next door for mini club. Kids enjoyed the ping pong table by the pool and enjoyed going to the Manati Park with the mini club. There are people who often offer excursions on the beach but if you say no they accept and move on.

Room Tip: Lofts are not much more than a regular room but you have a sofa bed which is good if you have 2 kids...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank famvacMontreal
winnipeg
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Thank you for all your reviews as they have been a big help and hopefully this one will help others too!
This complex is VERY LARGE and not for people who do not like to walk. The tram service is excellent and you can get around with the cute train system with very little wait. We ate at all of the a la carte restaurants with the exception of the Mexican. There were NO ISSUES with the quality of the food presented. The buffet was excellent and even the most pickiest eater would NEVER go hungry at this resort. However, if you are expecting the 5 star "more variety" type food then this place is not for you. The beach restaurant was excellent with homemade crepes, ice cream, cheeses, meats etc. They made the BEST burgers ( cooked and tasty|) and the BEST pizza and breads that were to die for. The service was excellent and the staff were always willing to help at the restaurants.
The beach bar made the best margarita and the lobby bar made a caparina (rum and Lime) the was spendidly delightful.
The beach is beautiful and if you want to relax and rest....... this is the place. The palapas are scarce and hard to get one. If you are not on the beach by 10 am, you will have difficulty getting a chair. Sand and water are awsome as always as this is our 4th time to Punta Cana and we have never been dissapointed with the beach.
The only cons that we encountered would be the following:
More palapas on the beach
Internet access in the rooms ( only in the lobby at present)
Upgrade the rooms as the furnishings are dated

In our past trips we stayed at the Bahia Principe and the Majestic Elegance. Both are new resorts and because we stayed at these first, we may have been spoiled because of the NEWNESS of those resorts.

We will continue our adventures by trying other resorts. Olah!

Room Tip: We stayed in a LOFT room which was very close to the beach. If you do not like stairs then do not g...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Terry J
Elkford, Canada
Reviewed 9 March 2012

I read the reviews on this great resort and wonder if these people are staying at the same place we stay. Trip number 11 coming up on April 6. Last trip December 2011. 2 of 3 children married at this resort. The employees at the resort are amazing. Yes they do speak English. Maybe you should learn to speak some Spanish. Some of the reviews appear to be nothing more than a list of complaints rather than what was great. Like the weather, the scenery, the people, the surroundings etc. This is not Canada. Learn the customs and be respectful. Treat the Dominicans like you want to be treated - with respect. Take lots of photos and next time you visit then bring the photos with you. I have over 700 photos that I am taking back in April to give away. Get off the resort and visit the school, the Catholic Church, the mercados. Mingle with the locals. The comment that English speaking tourists are a minority is true. Over 90% of the tourists are from Europe. If this offends you then research before you go and go somewhere different or stay at home. Why would you go on vacation and look for things that are wrong or not the same as home. taking pictures of a water leak, or tiles missing from the pool or a burnt out light bulb - give me a break. I recently stayed at the Fairmont Waterfront in Vancouver and they had some of the same issues and it was $300 per night! We have met some wonderful tourists from all over the world at this resort. A charming German couple, Gunter and Ursula, have been there over 16 times and are coming back in April for the sole purpose of meeting our 3 1/2 year old grandson. Get to know the people and you will see how kind and warm hearted they are. from the gardeners, to the maids, to the bar tenders, to Senior Management. They are amazing people who we are proud to call family. Front desk staff like Fernelis, Jose Luis, Williams, bar staff like William, Janiel Rene, Patricia, El Bohio staff like Lusany, David, Carmen, Daisy etc are all worth getting to know. Don't complain that the resort is to big, take advantage of it. Walk, jog ride a bike, wait for the train but enjoy. Your on vacation take it slow. If your there in April look for us by the pool. We'll be the ones with the Canadian flag, Dominican flag and the German flag hanging from our table umbrella. Ask anyone about Senior Punta Canada or abuleo cuba libre and they will point yo in the right direction. Remeber that they cannot control the weather so don't blame them. The same goes for the ocean. They do not control the seaweed but definitely work hard at keeping the beach clean. They are not the ones dumping garbage, cigarette butts, plastic cups etc on the beach we are. Dominican time is relaxed time. Feel free to contact me about any questions you may have.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
23 Thank AbueloElkford_BC
Wooster, Ohio
Reviewed 4 March 2012

We stayed at the Palace for 8 days at the end of Feb 2012. I travled with my wife, brother inlaw and his wife. From start to finish it was a perfect vacation. Check in was a breeze, fast and informative with a great info packet that has everything you need to know for a great stay on the resort. The layout of the Palace is very compact, from any Villa you have a very short walk to the Spa, beach, pool, casino, lobby and food. The entire resort is big but not overwhelming at all, from Villa 95 to the corner of Bavaro the location of the 24 hour Sports Bar was just a 8 minute brisk walk and I believe that is across the entire resort. From the Palace to Punta Cana section is less than a 5 minute walk for great food options. The Spa was very clean and the fitness room had everything one would need to burn off the morning buffet. The rooms are very clean and comfortable with plenty of space. The A/C was great, the room was never hot or sticky. The shower was hot and the water pressure very good. The maid service does a great job keeping the rooms up to par, clean with fresh towls and a full mini fridge. Keep in mind this is a tropical resort on the ocean not Caesars Palace in Vegas, with that in mind I believe the up keep of the property is unreal. The gardens are maintained every day, I could not believe the work they put into keeping the resort perfect. Same thing on the beach, every morning the beach is raked by hand and all seaweed is picked up for your enjoyment all day. If you look around and take notice to all of the hard work these people are doing you will appreciate the surroundings so much more. The beach goes on for miles, walk to the right you will pass some vendors and they will ask you to visit the stores and can be aggresive. Walk to the left and you will have nothing but resorts and will not be approched by any vendors. The white sand is as BEAUTIFUL as any beach I have ever been on! The food and wait staff also much better than what I expected after reading some reviews. At breakfest the food option are plentiful, eggs to order, crepes made in front of you with wonderful fresh toppings, fresh fruit, bacon, potatoes and chocolate filled pastries to die for to name a few. My tip, visit the same server every morning and tip, you will never have an empty cup of coffee or Mimosa. For lunch visit a few other buffets as they do offer other food options. Walk the beach to the new beach terrace at the Punta Cana section for fresh grilled paninis as you sit by the ocean, this was my favorite lunch.

With so many dinner options we did not have enough time to try them all. If you like Japanese sit table side and enjoy a great show, this was my favorite dinner. We had this 2 evening and both nights the food was consistent and so very good. Shrimp and salmon, WOW. On the Punta Cana section is the new steak house and Italian resturants and both provided us with perfect dinner experiences. At the steak house if you get there early buy a bottle of wine and ask to sit in the VIP room, what a wonderful place to have dinner. At the Italian resturant the tomato soup was so good my wife had it for a starter then for dessert. I can not complain about any of our meals at all, in fact I can't recall any negatives that has any merit. I suggest getting Lobster at the Mediterranean resturant, for a $35.00 charge it was well worth it.

We enjoyed spending some time at the pool too, very relaxing and the swim up bar is always a great way to end the day in the sun. The pool bar and lobby bar staff will make you smile, laugh and even dance a little. Great group of people!

I have visited many islands in the past and the Palace is on the top of my list for many reasons but number one are the people working for you to make sure the stay is enjoyable. If you get to know the people taking care of you and tip them as they deserve it, your expectations will be exceeded as mine had been. Thank you Palladium Palace and staff for a providing myself and family wonderful experience.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
18 Thank Don A
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Upon arrival we were greeted by our member relations adviser. He was more interested in convincing us to upgrade Palace Membership than explaining the Member Benefits at this specific resort. We had to reset the room swipe card daily which was frustrating since the main lobby was a 10 minute walk from the room. When calling member relations, long wait on hold so typically had to hang up. Long wait to reserve spa, tours etc due to new Palace Resort central computer server located in Mwxico. It took 2 hours to reserve 1 tour & 1 SPA massage. Service at restaurants was slow. Too crowded, too large of a resort for me. Inaccurate billing required time consuming discussion with member services to resolve, resulting in less leisure time to relax. Only good thing was the golf.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank Lthies
canada
Reviewed 1 March 2012

We are Canadian and traveled to this resort on Feb 22 2012 for one week. Upon arrival we were upgraded to the Royal Suites Tourqusia due to an overbooking for the loft suites some other travelers were actually down graded due to this. The upgrade was neat we had our own pool area, pool bar, restruant and we were able to make reservations for any restraunt which other people if not staying at the Royal suites cannot, and have to wait for a table(usually 40-80min). We were able to go anywhere on the resort but others could not come to our area. I am an experienced traveler my boyfriend is not, so he had nothing to compare to. First of all, 5 star my [--]!! Ive stayed at a 3 star in Pureto Plata DR which was better than this. Food was awful (and I am not a pickey eater!) service was terrible, staff was rude and I have about 20 bites on my legs due to bed bugs, also no one spoke english!! Not even other travelers. This resort was to big, it was a 30-40 min walk to go get a snack at the sports bar if nothing else was serving food. The sports bar did have decent snacks. Everything is overpriced(example, a Punta Cana bag for $70) and the shops will not bargain down prices.. beach vendors will but are VERY aggressive they are almost anywhere you go, but this was bad they would actually grab my arm and pull me to their shop. Nightly shows were sloppy.. and we not that entertaining. The beaches are beautiful and the weather was great, I think that is the only positive about this resort. I did enjoy myself but I would never return or recommend this resort. Please second guess yourself before booking this, I read a lot of reviews on here and didn't see too much negative besides the food. I am not a complainer and this is my first review due to the fact that this is truly a terrible resort if you are looking for a great get away!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple