Grand Palladium Punta Cana Resort & Spa
US$335
US$262
Barcelo.com
  • Breakfast included
Excellence Punta Cana(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$370
US$315
Bookit.com
Melia Caribe Tropical(Bavaro)
US$234
US$128
  • Breakfast included
Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$328
US$218
US$465
US$311
Bookit.com
Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$346
US$270
  • Breakfast included
Paradisus Punta Cana Resort(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$292
US$194
US$208
  • Breakfast included
The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$307
US$230
Melia.com
The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$328
US$218
8,263 results
All reviewssports bara la carte restaurantsbavaro sectionpalace poolpunta cana resortpublic relationsdominican republicjacuzzi tubbeautiful beachadult poolanimation teamlanguage barrierjapanese restaurantwhite sandsaona islandsteakjunior suite
Reviewed September 19, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from the most fantastic holiday ever. The Palladium Bavaro was faultless. The booking in was fast, with a bell boy to take the cases into your room !, the room was of an excellent standard with double jacuzzi bath, double sinks, shower and seperate toilet, the mini bar was fully stocked daily and the beds and towels changed daily also. The staff extremely friendly and couldnt be more helpfull, especially Fransisco, Isadora and Luis in the lobby bar who helped to make the most enjoyable evenings we have ever had on a holiday, so a massive Thank You to them. The food was second to none especially the Al La Carte restaurants which were out of this world with a fantastic standard of food,(men remember to take long trousers with you to get into them) the buffet restaurants also had everything you could think of, and the beach restaurant also with its stunning views over the beach. The grounds were manicured beyond belief and everywhere spotless, even the beach was raked daily to clear the seaweed which was washed up on shore over night. The pools were lovely, plenty of seats around the pool in both shade and sun. Although this is a large resort getting around was made easy with a train constantly running and the golf buggies driven by the bell boys who were always happy to drop us off where ever we needed. The lookey lookey men on the beach were not at all offensive infact we had some fun conversations with some of them, especially Roberto Blanco!!. We will definately be returning, we cannot comment highly enough.

Room Tip: Standard rooms are slightly smaller than other rooms, and only have a single jacuzzi so may be worth an upgrade.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank UkSueP
Reviewed September 17, 2012

check in
We booked the punta cana section but that lobby is under construction so it was handled by the palace lobby. Not that it mattered much but never were we served drinks upon check in. However the check in was really quick as we were the only group getting off our airport shuttle. Arriving on saturday there was a huge flux of locals who i assume must get great discounts to stay here. We booked (3) 30yr old males in 1 room. All the had available was a jacuzzi room in 4000 block with a single king sized bed? Atleast i would expect two doubles or a king or queen and pull out with a closed concept bathroom....Couldnt upgrade to a loft until monday after locals checked out....fail
Rooms/sleep
The room itself was ok, nothing fancy 27" tube tv with the colour bleeding and calibration out of whack. jacuzzi worked well.... pillows were comfy, got a "temp" bed with a proper mattress on a metal bed frame. Mattress was comfy aswell. Only negative was the balcony door did not seal on the top and we didnt figure out how the vicious mosquitos were getting in and eating us alive constantly. Remedied by a towel wedged between on the last night.
Property/grounds
From the lobby to the streets to the walkways and pools. This resort was a pleasure to experience. It was always clean grass and flowers always manicured. All the flowers were labbeled with names and the country they come from. Punta cana lobby aswell as some rooms in the bavaro section. It didnt in the slightest ruin my experience as it was not noisy and not in places that you would be near daily
Pool
For what its worth, palace pool was the only pool with a pulse, punta cana, bavaro and royal suites were dead or "quiet" for those that wanted to sleep on vacation. But again who wants to be at a pool when the beach is a minute walk...
Beach
This resort had a huge beach front 4 resorts wide across the beach as opposed to the gran bahia which was 1/3 of:-)our beach front. No sea weed residue on the sand. No matter what time of day i went to the beach there were always chairs available and plenty of areas with shade to choose from. We walked from grand palladium palace past, occidental, princess hotels, vik, ocean blue, iberostar, riu and grand bahia. By far i think the best beach of all would be between the vik and punta cana princess resorts. iberostar was filthy from the reefs the must have infront of their resort. I didnt even wanna walk on the wash up let alone touch the water there. Palladiums beach was excellent.
Buffets were good nothing to complain about, only ever did breakfast once an used them solely for lunch. Al la carte were great. No reservations was a big bonus. Brazilian was alot of meat but good 8/10, Japanese cooked before your eyes 9/10, steakhouse attended twice 10/10, italian 6/10 didnt think it was great. Other a la cartes didnt really care to try after the italian...
Location
This is right outside of plaza bavaro, close to mangu, close to arieto, close to shop and drink, close to greek sports bar. Its a huge:-)resort in what i think is the best location

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank GTA_G20
Reviewed September 1, 2012

My family & I just returned from the best vacation of our lives. The people at the resort were very friendly. There were a variety of very good restaurants to choose a really good meal and so many fun activities to participate in. The resort consist of four resorts in one. But don't worry there's a train that runs through every 20 minutes. So you walk only by choice. There was even a bus that took us to the mall. I took the advice of another trip advisor who suggested to book a room in building 4000 and they were right. This put us in the middle of everything. We raved about the great time we had to our family members back in the states and now they want to plan a family trip for next year. So Grand Palladium Here we Come!
C. D. Jackson USA

6  Thank Carolyn J
Rsegarra, General Manager at Grand Palladium Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your possitive comments and feedback regarding your last stay at the Grand Palladium Punta Cana, at the same time I would also like to thank for having chosen Palladium hotels & Resorts for your vacation.

We are extremelly happy to hear that your experience among us has been a very good one. It is our aim to provide the best service at all times, creating memorable experiences that will last long after our guest’s stay at our resort.

Please do not hesitate to contact us for any information you could require.

We are loking forward to host you again in the near future.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

The check-in process was fast and simple, even at 10:30 at night. Served us drinks while they were getting our room information setup. We got two rooms the 3000 building. The rooms were a out-dated and things worked, but just barely. There are a couple of idiosyncrasies that took some getting used to. For example, if you don't insert your key into a slot just inside the door, none of the lights/fan/outlets work. And if you open the door to the balcony, the air conditioning shuts off. Not bad when you get used to it, but a little odd as you walk in. Water in the shower was never better than lukewarm. The room was clean and the housekeeping service was very good, paying attention to small details.

The grounds are very expansive. There are actually three resorts on the premises and a train that runs throughout every 20 minutes or so (that's how long it takes to do a loop). The pools are fantastic (and there are a number of them, including one just outside our room). And the beach was not much further away, not overly wide but wide enough. Nice for swimming and splashing, but don't expect good snorkelling.

The buffets were fine. Food quality is not spectacular, but quite acceptable. And there is enough variety to keep it interesting over the course of a week. There are 7 or 8 a la carte restaurants throughout the complex. No requirement to make reservations with the exception of the Japanese restaurant. No limit (that we found) on how frequently you go. Biggest potential issue is the need to wear trousers to the a la cartes. I was fortunate to read this *before* we left or it would have been buffets for the week (there are four males in our group...I wasn't buying pants for all of them :))The bars were good and the drinks interesting. The spoken English varied in quality, but it was easy to make yourself understood. In general, all of the staff were very friendly and happy to help out where they could.

Probably the biggest complaint relate to external people. The resort allows excursion representatives and trinket salespeople onto the groups. While sitting at the pool the first two days I had to shoo away a dozen people trying to sell me excursions. And when walking to dinners, you would inevitably pass by two or three tables of jewelry, paintings, clothes, etc and the locals would do everything in their power to get you to look. And by 'everything', I mean roaming out 20 or 30m away from the table, greeting you and almost pulling you in. Giving the tables a wide berth is not sufficient to keep them from hounding you. Didn't have to listen to a sales pitch to get the transfer back to the airport, but I can understand while people would think they have to.

Despite these few negative things, this a nice resort to come to. Definitely worth the money and a very enjoyable place to be. And if you do come, take the time to look at the rest of the grounds. For instance, I didn't realize until the afternoon of the day we left that another pool no more than 200m from our room had a small water park that the kids would have enjoyed.

Room Tip: Building 2000 or 3000 are right next to the pool and beach. Building 4000 is a short walk to a pool
5  Thank LACanuck_12

greetings!

Thank you very much for having stayed at the Grand Palladium Punta Cana Resort & Spa. We really apprecite your in general possitive feedback and comments and at the same time we thank for having taken the time to post them.
We are happy to hear that you have enjoyed most of our facilities and services. It is our goal to provide the best service possible to all our guests.

We are looking forwrad to host you again very soon,

Reviewed August 29, 2012

We were two American families (4 adults & 8,9,10 year olds) traveling on our annual trip to the Caribbean – we were a bit nervous after reading the reviews – and I can’t imagine what could prompt such negative reviews? Overall, in my experience, the resort is slightly above average, not the best that I’ve stayed at (for the same price point), but certainly adequate for a week of fun in the Caribbean provided you book at a value price. The resort is huge, with beautiful landscaping, very close beach access, numerous pools, Kids Club, activity club, casino, numerous restaurants, theater and bars everywhere! I am sure that the experience of your trip will depend on when you travel and the weather. For our trip in early August 2012, the resort seemed deserted – we had no trouble finding a spot on the beach or shaded chairs at the pool – we had no trouble walking into any of the a la carte restaurants for dinner (except the Hibachi which we did stand in line from 5:30 to 6:00 to place a reservation) – and we had no trouble being served at any of the pool or lobby bars.

We travelled via Sunwing and that was a GREAT airline experience! We got everything promised – champagne, wine, meals, movies, hot towels, snacks and activity packs for kids – BEST AIRLINE EVER! First class service – awesome!

Feel free to email me with any questions?

The Good:

(1) FOOD! Food and service was really good in the a la carte restaurants and my favorites were Rodizio (Brazilian), Sumptori (Hibachi) and Cantina Mariachi (Mexican). Meals were excellent! I did not care for the Beach Buffet “La Uva” (hamburgers, fries, fish sticks, nachos, chicken nuggets) as the food was greasy/bland. Also, the Trattoria (Italian) was not very tasty and had terrible/nonexistent service. The breakfast buffet was great, with many selections and even mimosas on certain days. The lunch buffet served a great variety of food. Dinner buffets are themed and the staff is very energetic if you arrive when the doors open. A La Cartes are the way to go!

(2) Select Staff – Two names that stand out were Freddy at the Saona Bar and William at the Buffet – super nice people that made our trip more memorable! There was also a great guy at the Lobby Bar that kept calling us family (can’t remember his name)! Also, the guy with Dolin Divers at the Palace Pool saw me struggling with moving my lounger chair, moved it for me and said – “You are on vacation – I will get it for you” – very courteous!!

(3) Theater – Dominican Divas was very entertaining and the Magic Show (missed the other shows)

The Bad:

(1) Front Desk Personnel - Dealt with some really rude people here – seems like the crabbiest check in ever! I arrived at 11pm and the guy yelled at me “Lady I told you I can’t do that” about getting our rooms close to the family we went with (as pre-requested). Completely unnecessary. Plus they would escape to the back office even though we were waiting at the desk for some need. Very RUDE!

(2) Seaweed – I’m not faulting the resort as you can’t control mother nature and they did rake up/remove the seaweed on a daily basis. The plants wrap around your legs in the ocean. The ocean temp was in the mid 70’s, which was a bit chillier than I have become accustomed to in the Carib and the water was a bit murkey with a stronger tide – this may have been a temporary situation caused by Tropical Depression Ernesto that was on the fringe of the DR. I much more enjoyed the ocean at Riviera Maya (we stayed at Barcelo Aug 2011).

(3) Shower/Tub in Room – poor design of a whirlpool tub with a hand held shower above – this shower sprayed outside the tub and flooded the floor everyday. Also, had a hard time getting hand towels.

Excursions

Booked parasailing on the beach with Pedro for $30 per person (negotiated) – ended up being in the air for about 10 minutes only – trip was promised at 45 minutes - my husband talked to Pedro and he offered another trip to compensate. Ask questions before you book!

Booked Dolphin Island through resort’s Sunwing rep – Tourist Trap beware! $145 per person plus $45 more for the pictures (for 2). The trip was ok – but once I talked to others at the resort, I felt this was a horrible value. This was a trip to pet and play with the dolphins but not actually swim on their backs like another trip that was only $5 more per person – book that excursion instead. We were in the water about 30 minutes with the dolphins, then snorkeled with sharks and rays, then had about 1 hour of free time before the bus left, which seemed excessive. Further, the bus stops at all the resorts to pick up/drop off, all of which have tons of speed bumps – not a fun ride at all. The trip was misrepresented too - promised to be 3 hours but was 5 hours in total.

You may be offered ‘free shopping’ in the lobby – this is a Tourist Trap! You will drive about 1-2 miles away to a mini mall with two stores that do not have negotiable pricing. Prices were ok on some items, but others seemed higher than the locals. This bus will not pick you up for another hour. We decided to walk back to the resort on our own, rather than wait and found another shopping area on the way. There are tons of the same type of shops at the Royal Turquesa edge of the resort – they all have the same items – and the experience is very high pressure. My male friend was told by Palladium security to not go there alone although we had no problems as a group. The items are authentically made – coffee, jewelry, knick knacks, t-shirts… I honestly wish that I would have just bought my t-shirt souvenirs at the Hotel Shop as the quality was better.

Palladium Travel Tips:

Lobby has free wi-fi access

Electric is 2 pin 110V – you need an adaptor for standard American appliances – our room had two adaptors for use and we were told they also sell them for $2.00 at the resort.

Plan to dine early (6:00pm) when the a la cartes open – huge lines formed as we were dining.

Pillows were ok – got really bad reviews for some reason. I took my own and forgot it there

We took a stack of $1 and $2 bills for tips – I surprisingly didn’t see many people tipping, but great service deserves tips!

Communication was frustrating at times. This is a predominately Spanish speaking area – it was very hard to communicate with the maids and certain staff. Some staff speak English very well though. I personally wished that I was more fluent in Spanish.

Take bug spray – got a little bit up at night.

We sat through the Palladium Travel Club presentation and were so tempted but ultimately did not buy – if any members are reading would you send me a message on your thoughts on the club?

8  Thank Michelle G

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your recent experience at the Grand Palladium Punta Cana Resort and Spa and also for having taken the time to do so.
We really appreciate your possitive comments. We value your feedback very positively because it will only help us to improve our service.

We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed the restaurants and the main facilities in our premises such as the pools and the beach, as well as your possitive comments about our staff which at the end of the day are the ones who make Palladium to be one of the most beloved resorts in the caribbean.

We are looking forward to host you and your family in the near future