New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Caribe Club Princess Beach Resort & Spa

Caribe Club Princess Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #53 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
St Thomas
“Exceeded Expectations from Well Seasoned Traveller”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

Ok...this is my first ever review and may be lengthy but its time to spell it out!
This is my 7th trip to the DR and 6th to Punta Cana and I have also travelled extensively in the Caribbean. Why I keep going back to Punta Cana...the beach is one of the best in the Caribbean, the people are wonderful and very accommodating, the weather usually fantastc ( for late January and Feb. as two driest months) and the cost is very manageable.
Treat some one like you want to be treated, learn a bit of "espanol" and all is wonderful! It really pisses me off how many people complain about the silliest things! Clearly these are people I would never want to meet! "Oooohhh...never go here...I found a cockroach in my shower!...Bite me...I just killed a spider on my door at home in January in Ontario...guess I should move!!
So.....I stayed for the first time finally for 10 days. How in my wildest dreams did I ever only stay for 7 days in all my last travels in the past is beyond me!.. 10 days is perfect...and if you like where you are 14 is pretty cool...but 10 is great as it takes you about 3-4 days to really get in the groove for relaxtion...
I read the reviews on here and as always ,take them with a "large grain of salt" Certain nations quite frankly just dont travel well......I will not be so bold as to point out which....you can easily figure it out...but generally I find some nationalities to damn picky over the most trivial things.....youre in a foreign country for Gods sakes...when in Rome?!!!.....then we have some Nationalities that are quite frankly rude arrogant and pushy....you may guess from some other reviews currently here, ...but handle the situation politely with a solid manner and you wont get pushed again ( lol...maybe it helps being a big guy,, Grande Bandido)
Ok...the resort.......I loved it!! For coming to a 3.5 Star resort it exceeded my expecations. I upgraded to the VIP package which gave me a great ocean view in the Corrillo building right at the beach. However I did this based on what I read and in hindsight the Superior rooms were just fine. My family joined me for a week after we had been there for 2 days and found their Superior rooms just fine. Yes...as per another review I read and liked very much who sums up the resort nicely...the water sometimes was hit and miss for pressure and hot but didnt last long..hell...Ive stayed in major hotels TO and if you hit the peak period for showers in the day sometimes its not as hot as expected also....but wait a few minutes and its ok
The rooms were fine....sure a little used and the bed sheets were amusing in the fact they didnt order ones correctly for King beds and simply stretched 'em for a Queen but they put two on to compensate...whatever....when I went to bed I was pooped and had enough Mama wana ( however you spell it) and slept fine. Ask for extra pillows though and work them into your sleep habits as the beds are very firm. The maids was great and with a few dollars on the pillow each morning we got what ever we wanted including extra Presidente in the fridge.
No tipping is not neccessary but they work hard and make peanuts so I feel better knowing that I can assist and show apprecaition for there hard work!
The beach, pools and grounds are well kept and very attractive. I love the colour they used in all the buildings....the beach...actually is one of the better stretches and is quite noticeably better as you walk further up the beach to your left towards the market, as the beach gets narrower and more crowded as you head up
Chairs on the beach could be be updated as are getting a little saggy but theres tons to be had and at no time did I ever have to get up at 630am to get a spot ( like I did at Dreams the year before)....chairs around pool are much newre in most cases and fine.
The Tram is pretty frequent and takes you all around to the lobby, and to the other Princess adjoing resorts ( Tropical...lovely pool and nice bar but not in pool and Punta Cana..no nighltly enertainment and adults only). Some times we just grabbed a few Cuba Libres and rode the tram for fun. The Lobby is nice, wide open and bright ( not like the Barcelo ) and the people working there are the best. Cheers to the lobby bar crew of Ignicio, Obama and Johenny ( Janet Jackson) They are so much fun and so effecient...and also the guys organizing your bags and trips in and out.....if your from Ontario/ Canada..just mention the Blue jays and you will be an instant hit,,,George Bell, Manny Lee etc
The restaurants were all great ....La Cava is beautiful decor and ambience but unless you get the VIP is $35 per head. Oddly enough my fav was El Pilon....great decor and and great food for the Dominican a la carte. Try the steak! The others were good too...did not try Brazalian
The main buffet is as they say hit and miss but you will always find someting. I asked the manager why I didnt see bacon for breakfast after my first day.. on day 4....he apologized.....had bacon every day after that and brought over to our table a whole plate for the 6 of us. Oh yes...my lovely Yanira....she was wonderful and took care of us like her own family in the main buffet.
Would....I go here again...absolutely! However I travel enough that I always like to experince something new for better or worse but am always cognicent that where ever I am its there country and I adapt to their customs and ways...do this and you will always have fun!
And finally thanks to Daniel and Santiago ( I think that was his name...always wears Tim Hortons hat) for teaching me nasty words in spanish and mine to him...lmao...the Adventure One Tour on the carts was a blast!.....Ola amigo and "pendaho"
Cheers to all.....and enjoy

11 Thank Ian P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (567)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Liphook, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

The hotel was fine, the food had many choices the staff excellent except the "motivators"
We love music but had it rammed down our throats morning and afternoon and some evenings.(avoid the beach party) Volume much too loud often we had to leave our appartment as it was close to painfull. Our request to 'turn it down a lttle' seemed to fall on deaf ears.(which isnt surprising)
I pity the 'motivators' as they will no doubt have deafness in later life. Would we go back? not while I have some hearing left.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the noise as you can always visit if you want else you wont get any sleep...
1 Thank David R
White Bear Lake, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

First and foremost, I must say, the service at the bars and dining was amazing. Antonio at the pool bar, Winston in the lobby bar and Yarnita in the buffet were amazing. A+++++++ service. Also, the cleaning staff were great too. Accidentally left a diamond ring on the coffee table and left, maid cleaned and we came back to the ring in the same place. The beaches are cleaned on a daily basis as are the walk ways and pool areas. Beautiful views, CLEAN SHEETS and NO BED BUGS.

Now, for the downside. The food is absolutely terrible, except for the $55 per plate ala Carte La Cava and El Pescador (that food is amazing.. but it's $55/plate unless you are VIP and get one for free). Now, I am not a picky eater by any means, but the food was either grossly undercooked, over cooked, or inedible. The pasta bar saved us from completely losing our minds. My husband and I lost over 6 pounds each on this trip. (The booze is good the food, not) Look out for mold in the rooms, we had a little on the wooden cabinet around the refrigerator, but we met a couple who had to move to a completely different room as the one they were initially relegated to was full of black mold. Water pressure is next to nothing and there was no hot water for over 2 days. Not only was the lack of hot water and issue, there was a 1.5 days, where there was NO running water AT ALL!! In all areas, private and public areas. So, just imagine what the bathrooms by the pool looked like... it was absolutely disgusting.

FOR COUPLES PLANNING WEDDINGS AT THIS RESORT. Francelia, the wedding planner will drive you crazy. Her response times are less than satisfactory. Some times it took up to 2 weeks to hear back from her. Details were mixed and vague, and follow through was terrible. I planned our wedding for 8 months and I couldn't even get a solid time to meet with the planner before we left. While I needed one, as I explained, so the hotel photographer, the wedding planner, my husband and I could meet. Francelia refused to set a time and said that she would leave me a packet upon check in. There wasn't anything at check in, and they called her and she said she would send it to the room. She never did, so I went to front desk to have them call her, she came up front and began discussing the details of the wedding with me, but the day that we had booked and other details weren't as discussed before, and she started calling me the wrong name. Turns out, she had no idea who I was, and the people she was scheduled to meet with were waiting for her too, as their previously planned appointment was blown off by the wedding planner. I was told the hotel laundry could steam my dress. They couldn't and told me to steam it in our bathroom. Kind of hard when there isn't hot water... or any running water for that matter. Turns out I was introduced to the other bride and we discussed our experiences. All of the things that were screwed up for our wedding was screwed up for there's. Seemed like tons of waiting and nothing being done. I had given up and had no idea what to expect, but was very happy with the out come. The ceremony was beautiful. Security was great with keeping people away and the beach clear of people in the photographer's way. Photo Shop Caribe did the photography for our wedding. Jorge the photographer was AMAZING...Great pics and service. Ada, the manager was great too. I cannot say how amazing the pictures turned out. In the end, the wedding was great, but when paying someone to plan it and they aren't, that is maddening!

Room Tip: Choose rooms 2110-2116, 2210-2216, 2310-2316... Those have the best views!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Joanne D
Dover, OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

Had a wonderful time at this resort - actually went July 2011, was inspired to write this when I came back to tripadvisor to plan this summer's vacation.

Pro's - beautiful beach (although murky water). great weather all week, friendly staff although not many fluent in English, good food with wide variety on the buffet, well-maintained pools, etc. Loved the freedom to hang at the beach, grab a snack or drink at the conveniently located snack buffets and bars along the beach, and just vegetate. Dinner hours were easy to hit, and the food was good and had a wide variety (did I mention I liked the food?). :-) We had a two-room family suite, which we liked very much. It was basic but clean. The maid service was good but unpredictable about when they would come. No major complaints, though.

Cons - the internet service was not available as advertised. They were supposed to have an internet center - we found where it used to be, an empty stripped room. If you want internet, you have to take your laptop up the lobby, about 400 yards from the rooms and the beach, and pay for wireless access. Can pay more to use one of their desktops. Was displeased that was not what was told. Second, the teen club was one of the attractions for us as we had a 14 & 11 y/o with us, and it was extremely poor. It was basically a shabby room with two pool tables and ping-pong table. No scheduled activities, attendand was often missing so couldn't get equipment to use what little was there, etc. Third, the other activities advertised (eg., archery, some other stuff I don't remember) were poorly maintained and staffed. I remember the archery because my son was excited about it - what we found was two bows, one of which was broken, and the other a frayed-string lowbow, with which you could shoot a half-dozen arrows, most of which were missing at least one feather. You found this equipment laying out at the range sometimes, missing at other times. Didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason when it was there - there was no attendant at this or the other outdoor activities. The only positive exception to this re: outdoor activities was the tennis. There were several nice clay courts with an attendant who passed out balls. But bring your own rackets and new balls if you want to play - they passed out old, tired balls to play with if you didn't have your own.

Overall, the rooms, beach, and food were were very nice, the other things were relatively minor but could have been easily fixed to make a 5-star experience.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Ryan43
San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2012

I have to say, I was a little worried about some of the reviews, but after coming back from Caribe Club Princess Resort, I now say I have no more doubts!!!. The resort is HUGE and have great things to do (specially, if this is a family-trip). My husband and I went with our kids (5 and 2 years old) and my parents. We had a blast!!! The kids had the time of their life at the pool, the beach, the Kid's Club or simply, walking around the hotel, following the ducks!!! The food was TERRIFIC, EXCELLENT, FANTASTIC!!!!!!. The staff was super helpful and friendly (especially Farrah, the concierge). Of course, some tourists may give bad reviews about this hotel, because of the communication issue. They don't know spanish, the staff only babble a few words in english. But they truly try to be of service.

In general terms, the hotel is really great. They have a lot of things to do, you just have to pick. Better of all (and I love this word).... ALL INCLUSIVE!!!!!!

The only deal-breaker???? SMOKERS!!!! They were EVERYWHERE, and it was annoying when somebody lit up a cigarette in front of your kids. Not pleasant...... But, all in all, we had a marvelous time. I definitively will come back soon, with all my extended family!!!

7 Thank Soraya110
Kingston, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

There seems to be many mixed reviews on the Caribe Club Princess. I can say it REALLY gave my fiancée and I a few worries about how good of time we would have on our 2 week vacation (January 5th till the 19th). I know this is a little long, but if you read this you will have little to no questions about the Caribe Club Princess and I will be able to hopefully clear up things better for anyone thinking on going there.

When we first arrived at the lobby, we were greeted by friendly "bell boys" who set our bags aside and pointed us to the reception desk. At the desk we were greeted by "James" who was very friendly and made us feel very welcome. James speaks excellent English, was great to talk to and had us cold welcome drinks sent in only 2 or 3 minutes. He explained to us all we needed to know about the resort and we were then on our way.

Two hours after as the room was not quite ready, the Bell Boys had our bags and us into our room. They set us up with our room safe and then left. We unlike everyone else it seems did NOT received a welcome bottle of rum in our room. The other couple we were traveling with received their bottle of rum.

Now, let me just get to the good and bad points to keep this as short as I can.

THE POSITIVE POINTS ARE,

The resort is very beautiful, the beach is beautiful white soft sand, lots of palm huts and chairs for everyone.

Always had snack bars open with good food ex. chicken, pizza, nachos, hot dogs, burgers, cheese and cold meats.
Lots of bars with great bar staff and the drinks are not watered down! Special thanks to bar tenders "Antonio" at the swim up bar, "Obama" at the main lobby bar and " Ignocio " who worked the lobby and beach bar. They are great!!!!

All the "A la carte" restaurants are all great! Great food and great service. They all have there own type of welcome drink. My fiancée and I have ate at many very great restaurants and have to say that this food is not a disappointment of any kind! You are very satisfied after dinner and the staff really pamper you well. Special thanks to "Juan Francisco" at the Japanese restaurant.

The resort is filled with little ducks and other birds that are fun to feed and its filled with beautiful plants and trees of all types. The lobby a 5 minute walk from the restaurants and rooms so there is an amazing trail to walk or just take the little shuttle buses that come every 5 minutes..... but really its more like 10 to 12 minutes when its busy. If you like to take pictures of nature, bring a big memory card!

Not many children at the resort. You more experienced travelers may know this about the time we were there however, we have never traveled in January before. There is a "Teen club" and a "Kids club" and its not near the pools so you can relax by the pool while you kids were to play. We have not kids so we never looked into it. There is also a blow up slide and pool for kids at the beach that looked fun for younger kids.

Overall I have to say the staff are great! I find the Dominican people really know how to take care of you very well. They always had ironed very clean uniforms and always keep a very clean appearance. They also always seem very happy, always say "hola" and like to stop in their travels to make a child smile.

THE NEGATIVE POINTS ARE,

First and most important, let me just say that the resort seems to be a favorite resort for "French" people to stay at! It was FULL of rude, loud, disrespectful, ignorant French people of all ages. In all my travels I have never had such a negative experience with French people! Many loud groups of drunk teenagers and early twenty's guests! Good luck getting near the pool bar after 12:00hrs. These rude people would physically bump and push you in the buffet when getting food. If they seen something they want, they would push you and butt right in the middle of the line. Big guys pushing around small little women like my fiancée. Good job tough guys! Real manly. The french people in room 1329 were so loud and woke us up yelling every night when they stumbled in drunk at 03:00hrs or later! We seen people take their kids to just a few feet from the pool to go pee right in public instead of the bathrooms. Seen a few of them beat their kids and they were very rude to staff. Mainly European French its seemed as my Fiancée and here family are from Quebec originally and she noticed the language difference.

The other point I need to make clear is to stay away from the "mini mart" to the left after you leave the lobby. The two girls working there are very rude and not friendly at all! The guy in the cigar shop to the right of the "mini mart" set up my friend with a scam. Offered him a free cigar and when he was told he didn't like the cigar said, "now you owe me $10 for that cigar".

The bathrooms were usually a mess everywhere other then the lobby bar. On the 14th the cold water was down and there was NO working toilets in the entire resort... and the toilets were still being used. Need I say more here? Lucky for us, were went on a excursion that day! It was fixed by around 16:00hrs. This is not an issue as every resort needs to do maintenance so maybe you can disregard this issue? That's your call.

The buffet, was okay food. 4 star at best. Having said we never even got an upset stomach in 14 days. Breakfast was the worst of the 3 meals. Same stuff time after time and nothing special at all. Not like other places we have been. They would make you fresh eggs and other foods at the hot station but it always had big line ups. Lunch was good. Always well fed. Dinners was very good however and very nice as they always had a different "theme" night ex. Asian, mexican, Italian and the list goes on! The big problem was the service at the buffet, very slow! Mainly for breakfast it seemed. They always cleared dirty plates right away but it could take over 20 minutes to get a drink or coffee. You could ask for coffee or a drink and they never came back! Some days we never ended up with coffee of breakfast. The staff didn't seem to care as much at the buffet like they do EVERYWHERE else but I would like to say a special thanks to "Edward" at the buffet who also worked the snack bar as well.

While you walk around the beach of the resort, you will be driven crazy by people trying to sell you excursions! One short younger guy trying to sell us a day to swim with the dolphins was by far the worst of them all! Everyday he would bother us, at many different times the same day and didn't take "no" for an answer. We did the "Punta Cana Go Boogie" excursion. It was great but they had little shops set up where ever you stopped while on the excursion to bug you to buy stuff. If you are good at telling people "no" or like to barter with them, then this may also not be an issue for you.

They set up the "Market" every two to three days in the evening at the resort right in the middle of the paths so you can't get to the buffet or restaurants unless they bother you first. Again, if you like to get deals or are good at ignoring them, not an issue for you then.

The rooms were nice, but had double beds which I don't care for as I like a little more room when I sleep. The showers were hit and miss for hot water until about half week into our second week then it was perfect. The walls were paper thin it seemed so you could hear everything in the room next to you which woke us up every night. The main thing for people on the top floor (3rd floor) where we were of course was the tin roof was not so great when it rained in the night. It sounded like gun fire and was very loud. To loud to sleep. Night rains never seem to last long luck for us. If you get a floor on the ground level or second level, not an issue of course.

The last point is the pictures they try to sell you. This one is not a big deal but I might as well be honest and let you know. There are a couple of guys that walk around with a different animal everyday who are not to pushy really, but the two pretty girls who walk around wearing not much clothing will grab you for pictures and not let go! If you like pictures with birds, monkeys or snakes or have kids that do, you may like this as well and again, not an issue. You decide.

I hope this clears up any questions for anyone thinking of going to the Caribe Club Princess. We had a great time and have no regrets. If you have any other questions please feel free to message me and I would be happy to respond best I can to help out. Best of travels everyone!

Room Tip: Do not get a room on the 3rd floor. Tin roof makes like loud gun fire when it rains!!!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
34 Thank Brent99
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

Jan 7th 2012 - Jan 14th 2012

My husband and I won this trip for our honeymoon from a radio contest. We had a choice of 3 resorts and we picked this one as it seemed to stand out the best. I am not going to lie, I was very very skeptical after reading all the reviews, and honestly I was setting myself up to be disappointed!

CHECK IN: We had tried to book a honeymoon suite but the week we were going, there were none available at the time, but we decided to ask again when we got there. When we got there we were greeted by very nice staff, and again has asked if we could get a honeymoon suite but they still had none available, but Manuela offered us an upgrade to an ocean view suite in lieu of the honeymoon suite. We had upgraded to VIP, and we received all our amenities (robes, rum, cigars, internet tags, massage tags, towels etc) right away.

RESORT: The resort is huge and it is a lengthy but wonderful walk from the lobby to the rooms and they do have a train/bus that runs regularly to take you to your room and around the resort. There is one gentleman in particular that is WONDERFUL, his name is Seifredo and he ALWAYS greeted us with a smile, and a high five.

ROOMS: We stayed in the Corillio building that was steps from the pool and the ocean. The rooms are nice. I've only stayed at 1 resort besides this one, and that was in Cancun, so I do not have a whole lot to compare the room too, but we found it nice and very spacious. Yes a little dated, but we were not in a room that often. They were clean, but at night they were a little chilly. We called for an extra blanket and they brought us one within 10 minutes. The maids cleaned them every day, and always made them presentable. We had a problem with our room key the 4th day we were there because the batteries died on the door, but they had that fixed within a half an hour. The shower pressure was not so great, and it took awhile to get hot in the mornings, but it was fine within a few minutes. We did have to pay for the safe, which we thought was included in our package, but it was not, so we did pay 24$ for it.

FOOD: The food at the restaurants was incredible. We were able to try every single one of the restaurants, and had a different experience each night. In total we tried 6 different restaurants. (El Sombrero ( Mexican), Mama Mia ( Italian), Shanguay (Japanese), La Cava ( Steakhouse), El Pilon (Dominican), and Rodizzo ( Brazilian)). La Cava (you have to pay extra if you are not VIP) was beyond wonderful. The buffet was not bad, but very repetitive after awhile, so the Ala Carte restaurants were needed. The snack bar was good too, and always offered hot dogs, roast chicken, pizza, nachos etc. The restaurants were beautiful, well decorated and clean and we found the service impeccable. The portions were MASSIVE.

BAR: The swim up bar was awesome. Antonio and Humberto were so much fun, and catered to us so well. They got to know us the first day, and after that they always knew what we were drinking, and had our drinks ready for us quickly and frequently. I would suggest bringing an insulated mug to keep your drinks in, so they stay cold. All the bartenders were wonderful! The trademark drink there is a shooter called Mamajuana...so good, but so strong. Try it at least twice. The first time, I hated it, the second time it was quite tasty. Def something you need to build a tolerance too.

BEACH: The beach was incredible, there are TONS of chairs so there is always somewhere to sit, or relax. There is some seaweed, but there was not an overabundance, and we always saw the staff cleaning up the seaweed and the beach in the mornings. There are many kilometres of beach to walk on.

POOLS: There are 3 pools in total, and we stayed at the one with the swim up bar. This pool had most of the party people, and where a lot of the pool games happened.

ENTERTAINMENT: The entertainment was absolutely INCREDIBLE. They had an animation team during the day that organized beach and pool games, and did activities like step aerobics, yoga etc. Joshua, Wilson and Celeste were absolutely INCREDIBLE in getting the audience to participate and they were so much fun, that my husband and I could not help but play in every game. At night time they had themed shows that were really good. We went to a different show every night we were there and we loved all of them. We really loved the Lion King, The Musicals (which had numbers from Footloose, Chicago, West Side Story etc.) and The Western Show (which had a lot of audience participation). The performers were so energetic and their dancing was amazing. There was also a disco that was open nightly that we went to twice and it was fun.

EXCURSIONS: We took the Stingray Bay Excursion through our travel rep and it was a 4 hour excursion that included lunch (muffins, fruit, and breadsticks), drinks and rum. We were traveled via bus for 20 minutes to a waiting Catamaran and were entertained by dancers while we waited to swim with the nurse sharks and stingrays. The excursion was excellent and well worth the $79 pp. There were cheaper excursions available from the reps on the beach but none of them had exactly what we wanted to do. Had we stayed longer, we would have bought another excursion from the beach.

VENDORS: We didn’t find the vendors too pushy. There were a few on the beach, but only 2 out of the 7 nights we were there, were there vendors at resort. It was easy to talk them down in prices for things.

STAFF: Polite and extremely helpful!

Overall the experience was awesome, and beyond our expectations. I understand that people, who have traveled a lot and been to many all inclusive, may not enjoy this resort, because it is not a 5 star, but my husband and I absolutely loved it. There were minor setbacks, like the room key not working, and the water pressure, but for there were WAY more pros than cons. We would go back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: VIP Package is worth it!!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple