“Surprise Surprise”

GreenLeadersGold level
Dunville
“Surprise Surprise”
Reviewed 20 April 2012

We booked the honeymoon suite to give ourselves a special treat. Well! First night there I woke to an unfamiliar criter about 4 inches long crawling down the white wall. When I complained to the supervisor at the reception area I was told I was in a tropical country. I knew that, I just didn't want to sleep with the bugs. We had no hot water...when my husband decided to take a "cold" shower, the outlet controlling the shower come off the tap. No hotwater, no shower, bugs and definitely no face cloths.
Apart from that the staff were very helpful and friendly. The bartender in the main lobby "Obma" was super helpful and his English is great. He made us laugh, made us feel welcome and was overall very accommodating. We also found Fransico at the reception area helpful and tried to accommodate us as best as possible.
when they decided to move us down a floor we asked if we could upgade to VIP because of all our troubles and were told yes for a fee of $200.00. Needless to say we didn't.
It left us feeling cheated out of a relaxing time. Don't think we will return.

Room Tip: Don't go for honeymoon suites..don't go on the third floor as there is no hotwater....even w...
2 Thank Flo2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (621)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Canada
Reviewed 17 April 2012

I have to admit I was a little worried after reading some of the reviews on this resort. We stayed at the caribe club princess from April 5 - April 12 2012 and was pleasently surprised. The rooms were clean, food was great and the staff are so friendly, they went out of there way to make your stay enjoyable. We really enjoyed the mexican restrauant. The bartenders are awesome be sure to try antonio's special.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank CanadaMelissa_Canada
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Bed bugs, bed bugs, bed bugs. Stayed the week of March 29th though April 5th with a family of 9, had 3 separate rooms and everyone was bitten by bed bugs. We have been home over a week and some members of the family are still breaking out. Not much point to review the other areas of the resort when you got to lay down in a bug infested bed each night. It is for that reason I will never return here and I strongly advise those that are thinking of staying here to look elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2012
4 Thank Dean55ca
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 12 April 2012

My wife and I stayed here from April 3-10 2012. We were somewhat skeptical based on some of the reviews we read before leaving but were more than happy with our stay and have no major complaints about this resort. We did pay the extra $40/person in order to get the VIP package which was definitely worth it as we went to the "La Cava" restaurant $35 value along with a 20 minute massage, the safe key for the room, a bottle of rum and cigars.
Our room was in the Corallilo building and it was a large room with a somewhat hard bed (standard in the DR) and did not have a proper fitting sheet. The room also had a pull out couch and two chairs with a table on a lower level (two steps down) and then two more chairs on the patio. The bathroom was spacious with a double sink, we had hot/warm water for teh majority of our showers, I think maybe one day we both had cold showers and then one other day for a partial shower the water turned cold.
We went to the A La Carte suppers every night except our last one (got in line at 8am in order to make reservations) opened at 830.
1- La Cava (VIP is free otherwise $35)
2 - El Sombrero (Mexican)
3- Shanghai (Oriental)
4- Brazillian Restaurant
5 - Dominican Restaurant
6 - Mamma MIa (Italian - didn't go menu looked similar to buffet pasta selections)
7- El Pescador (Other VIP restaurant - didn't go)

There is also a Creperie that we went to a couple times in the afternoon for ice cream breaks to beat the sun which was very good as well. The Brazilian & Pescador are snack bars in the afternoons and serve pizza, burgers, fries, chicken, sandwiches and salad so you should never go hungry at this resort there is always food available to you.

the nightly turn down service always restocked our fridge and left us with more towels then we needed - we would keep a stash of clean towels in the dresser so that we always had enough incase we wanted to take extra showers.

the best drinks at the resort were either made in the lobby or at the pool bar - the Antonio special!

We never had any issues trying to get chairs by the pool or on the beach as there seemed like there were 3 chairs to every 1 person at the resort.

Overall this was a very nice resort and definitely a good value.

3 Thank MiniPug-MiniPeeps
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed 8 April 2012

We have no complaints, food was excellent, staff was friendly and rooms were clean. We never had any issues finding chairs at the beach. Miguel and Isodorio from the Bar Cano were excellent. Miguel always managed to make us laugh and Isodorio always remembered your name.

I would suggest this resort to anyone.

Room Tip: Rooms on third floor have cathedral ceilings.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Linda C
Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Large spacious rooms. Be careful if you are given a split-level room. In my opinion, the steps in the room are very dangerous as they are immediately adjacent to the bed and are difficult to see as the tiles are the same colour and pattern as the rest of the floor. It is my belief that Thomson/Tui are aware of the dangers but choose not to inform their guests of the risks.

2 Thank Ollie134
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Reviewed 3 April 2012

We stayed (2 Adults, 2 Children 2 Grand Parents) the week of March 25 - April 1, 2012. We did not stay in the VIP section.

This is our 12th all-inclusive, 2nd time in Punta Cana (other locations include La Romana (DR), Barbados, Antigua, Cuba, Jamaica and Mexico)

The hotel is on a nice stretch of beach and the rooms are a short trolley ride or walk from the lobby. The hotel was definitely not full, which was nice as you didn't have to wait for drinks, tables, etc.

The layout of the hotel is actually very good, and was the highlight of our stay. Once you are at your room, you are very close to the pools, beach and restaurants. We all agreed this was the best feature of this hotel. We enjoyed the fact we could book ala-carte restaurants for every night if we wanted to, and we did for 6 nights. We all agreed the Chinese restaurant was by far the best. The Italian restaurant's service was poor at best. In the Italian restaurant I asked for an appetizer and a bowl of soup but was told point-blank it was one or the other and that's it. At the Chinese restaurant they went out of the way (both nights we ate there) to provide us with whatever we wanted. It's strange because all the restaurants are beside each other!

The food at the buffet was ok, but never changed from day to day for breakfast or lunch. The evenings had a theme every night, but even at that the same food was repeated day after day. The beach buffet (not the main one) at the Bavaro Princess has a better selection than the main buffet at this hotel. The omelette station for breakfast, or the pasta bar for lunch was a good choice if you wanted hot food to eat. There was only bacon on 2 days we were there. Didn't bother me at all, but I know a lot of people like bacon!

The creperie restaurant was also a nice change for lunch, snack or ice-cream - check it out!

There are 2 beach grills that serve the same food at lunch. This is the usual burgers, hot dogs, fries, pizza, chicken and salad. One beach grill and bar are open all night serving drinks and food if you arrive late, or stay up late.

The Pools were nice, but I found it odd that only one of the 3 pools has a swim-up bar.

The reason I'm rating this a 3 star is because of many small items that seem insignificant on their own, but each takes a little bit away from your vacation. Here is a list:
• The bath towels never matched the number of people in the room.
• One of our rooms didn't have a shower door.
• One room had a shower door, but the shower drain took forever so you were always standing in almost 2 inches of dirty water.
• We never had a bath mat for our room.
• There was only a garbage can in the bathroom, none in the room which was strange. We always do our best to keep our room as tidy as possible.
• The rooms are dated and need some upgrades as has been mentioned by others. (furniture, mattresses, etc.)
• There was no remote control for the t.v. I know, you're saying, "get off your butt you lazy bum!". It's not that, it's that it takes away from the experience, and therefore results in a lower score.
• The fridge in the room is staked with water and pop, nothing else. This was the first resort we stayed at that had a mini fridge but didn't have beer in it. Again, I know I can walk to the bar for a beer, but these are the small things that add up to a better resort.
• There was no tissues in the room, only toilet-paper if you wanted to blow your nose, etc.
• The beach towels ran out early in the day, even though the resort was 1/2 full.

So as not to seem to be complaining too much about the rooms, we did have plenty of hot water, and the air conditioning sure did keep the place cool!

I also had an issue with the front-desk staff. I sat down for dinner one night with my room key in my pocket and it broke into 3 pieces. No problem, right? - just go get another one. Nope. When I went to the front-desk, they wanted to charge me $10 for another key and told me that was the rule. I asked them when they had told me about the rule and they said when I checked in. Uh, no you didn't! I asked them to show me where I signed that I agreed to pay $10 for another room key. They replied that I had signed a paper and agreed to pay $25 if I lost the safe key! I told them I agreed with them on that, but that I was not there to replace my safe key, it was a simple plastic room key. I have travelled all over the world, on 5 continents, and have never had to pay to replace a plastic room key! After arguing with them, and having to wait for a manager, I was given another key, but also had to then sign a form that I would have to pay $10 next time. This was a joke and not representative of a 4 or 5 star hotel. This again added to the lower score in my mind.

I will say that the Staff work very hard and provide a good time for everyone. Except for the issue with the front-desk, none of what takes away from this hotel is the staff.

While I wouldn't go back to this hotel again, we did enjoy the rooms being so close to everything and the staff members who work hard to make it as enjoyable a stay as possible. So, tip them a few bucks here and there as we always do, they appreciate it.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3.5 km away
Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Green Don Pablo Collection
84.3 km away
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana

Been to Caribe Club Princess Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!