New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Punta Cana Princess All Suites Resort & Spa

Punta Cana Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
Ranked #32 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Pittsburgh, PA
“A nice resort with a few problems...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

I vacationed at Punta Cana Princess with my boyfriend and parents for 4 nights at the end of March/beginning of April. I am a religious review reader on trip advisor, especially of places outside of the USA. I will try to tell you as much as I can about the resort. I want to give a disclaimer that I expect to get what I pay for and I understand that you can’t always make everyone happy.

ARRIVAL: Arrival at the Punta Cana Airport was insane. There must have been 7 or 8 planes that arrived at one time. You must buy a $10 visitors card to get into the country (this is genius; I think the USA should do this to help solve our country’s debt problem). The line for this was very long and we stood outside of the airport in the sun for over an hour. If there is any way for you to purchase this visitor card online before you arrive, it would save you a lot of time. It is literally just a paper receipt. I did have a problem where my transportation was not arranged, but I blame this entirely on Travelocity. The ride to the resort is about 20 to 25 minutes.

ROOM: We booked the All Inclusive Platinum Suite. We had some problems at check in. Since I am an avid reader on trip advisor, I saw that many guests recommended building 4 and 5 (close to the beach). That being said, I emailed Hector, the guest services manager, and requested this in December. I requested a two rooms in building 4 or 5 on the top floor, two king beds. He emailed me back and said they did not have 2012 reservations yet and to email back 3 weeks prior to stay. I emailed him again 3 times leading up to our trip and never received a response. My confirmation with Travelocity had rooms reserved. When we arrived at the resort, they had us in 1 room. We told them no, it’s two. They put my parents in another room, but said it was not cleaned yet, so we went to my boyfriend and I’s room and it had two double beds. When we went back to say, no, a king sized bed, they kind of hemmed and hawed around it, saying the resort was at max capacity (uh, yeah right), but after a little more persistence, we were put in another room with a king bed. That being said, we stayed in building 1, rooms 1110 and 1209. They were completely fine and acceptable. They kind of have a musty smell, so I suggest bringing some air freshener. There are two beach towels in the closet (they are blue). Our maid did an excellent job and brought us extra pillows and bath towels. I tipped her $5 a day. Really you are only in the room to sleep and shower anyway. This resort is small and everything is close together. You get a free bottle of rum as well!

POOL: Did not use the pool. Looked nice but would rather be on the beach.

BEACH: As you may have read in previous reviews, the “towel game” is in full swing here. The resort is largely European, followed by Canadians, and then Americans. If you do not go out to the beach by 8am to put your towel out, you are going to be hard pressed to find a hut with shade. I didn’t see this happening at the pool; it always looked as if there was plenty of space at the pool, but who comes to the Caribbean to go to a pool? I don’t mind the “towel game” because I believe that if you want a good spot you must wake up early to get a good spot. You can’t expect to roll out of bed at 10am and get a good chair. Bavaro Beach is absolutely gorgeous. The water is beautiful and just a little chilly when the sun goes in. Punta Cana Princess does a really good job of keeping the seaweed under control every night. I can’t even call it seaweed; it is more like a hard grass. We walked the beach at length and saw that other resorts didn’t try to do this. You will not be disappointed in this beach! One thing that I missed from a previous visit to Jamaica was that the lounge chair pads double as water floats; this would be a great touch at this resort. Try the drink called Chunky Monkey!

FOOD: The food is some of the best I have had at an all-inclusive resort. We went to the fondue restaurant, which is a really cool experience, but takes some time. We also went to the steakhouse, which was very good. Sadly, my boyfriend was never quiet full so we always ended up at the buffet for “second dinner”. The buffet is really amazing and the food was really great there as well. They make some fresh food at the buffet which is great. Desserts are amazing! The beachside restaurant is really good as well. Love that french-fries and cheese every day and chocolate ice cream! The food is very good at this resort and not disappointing at all. Also, they say they have 24 hour room service, but there is a limited menu. Let me just tell you that the staff in these restaurants HUSSLE; they have excellent service. One down side, they say they have one restaurant that is open 24/7 (beachside), however when we arrived at 4:30pmish (restaurants don’t open until 6:30pm for dinner) we were starving after traveling, standing in the sun, transportation problems, and room problem and there was NO FOOD at the beach restaurant. Very disappointing when you just arriving and having all those problems, hopefully just timing issue because it was fine at lunch? Some ala carte restaurants are not always open, but there is no schedule as to what is open and what isn’t, so you never know? I have been accustomed to receiving the next day’s activity/restaurant schedule with turn down service. Also, all ala carte restaurants have a dress code or you will be turned away.

SPA: My mother and I both had massages at the spa and they were amazing. Full body massage was $65 for 55mins. Not bad at all for the price. It was an excellent and relaxing experience. I love going on vacations and getting massages.

ENTERTAINMENT: We usually went to the nightly shows. My parents stayed out later than us! The staff is amazing. Jose and his team do a great job of entertaining, making you feel welcomed, and getting people involved. They work very hard as well and have very long days. Also, they can dance like professionals! They have some serious rhythm!

I would say this concludes my review, besides a few other points. The grounds are beautiful here and very well maintained. The maintenance crew works tirelessly to ensure the property is beautiful! There aren’t many bugs at this resort either. There are a lot of smokers at this resort. I guess because I come from a state that largely prohibits public smoking, I didn’t realize how many people still smoked in the world. I think there should be some kind of restriction on this at the resort. I was sitting in the lobby trying to watch a show and the guy next to me was blowing so much smoke on me and then a few other people behind me were chain smoking and several people had to get up and move because of this. People also tend to use the beach as their ash tray which is disgusting and unnecessary. I also saw a couple women go topless on the beach, not something I was used to in the USA. Also, they have a few other Princess Properties. My boyfriend and I walked down to one and I used the bathroom, but the bartender refused me a drink and told me I could have only a coke. I don’t know how this exactly works when they brag “stay at one, play at three” especially when I have a bracelet on from the 18+ resort. The staff works hard at Punta Cana Princess and a few dollars here and there can go a long way to show your appreciation. They are very friendly and warm hearted people. Also, I suggest setting up a professional photo session. They take amazing pictures!

I hope this was helpful and please message me if you have a question because I would be happy to help. : D

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
18 Thank renateli33

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (908)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

I stayed at Punta Cana Princess from March 28, 2012- April 3, 2012. It was one of the best vacations I have had in a long time. The staff, location, weather was great.

I must say that out of everything the staff made this trip so much fun. They were kind, helpful, and always looking to help and serve you. :-)

Room Tip: Bring plenty of dollar bills for tips!!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank BosPretzel123
Green Bay, Wisconsin, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

We booked this vacation based on reviews and the resort description. The description was wrong. We were supposed to have a "platinum suite," but it was a regular room. We had none of the special items waiting in our room. We complained and they ignored us. We told our on-site travel agent and he was able to get some of the items, but we remained in the same room. It rained one night and one whole day. We had nonstop puddles in our room. We had a friendly little lizard come in to get out of the rain. We also had a roach come in. The food on the buffet was gross (oily, slimy). The morning omelet was the only good thing. The evening restaurants were slow to serve their food. The evening food was okay once we got it. We will NOT be staying at the Princess again. (Nor will we visit Punta Cana again based on what we heard from others at the airport.)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank lrbingb
Corner Brook, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

2nd time to punta cana first time at the punta cana princess.great resort, clean room, great food and friendly happy staff. had a lovely time hated for the day to leave for home.will be making another trip for sure. can't wait for next year.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Lem P
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

This was our second time to PCP. We were there 3 years ago. We loved it then and we loved it again.
We were greeted by familiar faces, who remembered us.
Our flight was Sunwing Vacations leaving a snowy cold morning in Halifax. We were suppose to leave at 6am but for some unknown reason we were delayed 2 hrs.
The flight was good, we were at the back of the plane which is good because, you can get off in Punta Cana from the back door as well as the front. So we were able to get through the airport quick. Note Sunwing does pay the 10 dollar entrance fee so you have to go through that line first..then customs.
After that our luggage was off and waiting. We decide to take a taxi to the resort to get there faster. There is a free shuttle but by the time everyone gets on, and the shuttle makes several stops at other resorts, you could be up to another 2 hours before you get to the resort. The taxi got us there in 25 minutes and cost 38.00 It was a fun ride.. the locals there have their own driving styles. So hold on and enjoy.
Once we got to the PCP, we walked right to the desk, no line ups.. and we were greeted by familiar waitress and staff. Everything was ready. We were escorted to our room, 4218, which was great. The Palm tree blocked the total view, but that was nice privacy. The room was spotless, and everything was there as advertised, the rum, cigars and fruit basket. The fridge was stocked.
We made it to the pool bar, where Nelson's eyes lit up when he saw us again. We had a blast hanging out there the first day. We met people from all over. There were quiet a few french speaking people, but a lot of newfoundlanders there as well.
The next day it rained most of the day, so we found leisure things to do. The rest of the week the weather was great and we spend the mornings and most of the afternoon at the beach. We always found the same beach bed available when we got there around 8am. However most of the huts, and loungers that were close to the ocean were "taken" with towels marking them taken.

FOOD:
The Buffet always had a great selection, and we never had any problems day or night with the food there.
The Tex Steak house was also great, but the service was a little slow, the night we went we had to wait 30 minutes so we went to the lobby around the corner and had some drinks.
The petite Fondu was ok. I kind of felt bloated when we left there. perhaps eating all the food dipped in oil did that. The servers in this place seemed impatient and didn't have time for chat. The young man who gave us drinks, and cleaned our table was nice. We tipped him, but noticed the boss waiter came over and took it.
The beach bar/restaurant was great too.

ROOM:
Comfortable, but dated. Had great AC.
Had a TV, but never turned it on.
No internet, but i rented a wifi box and it worked pretty good. Somedays there was no service, but most times it was very fast. It cost 55 for the week, adn a 50 dollar deposit I got back when i returned it. we used it to skype the kids back home, and it saved long distance costs..
As for staff, everyone was more or less super friendly, Nelson, Kenia, Yosaria, Louia, Louis Emmanuel, Francis (bartender) Francis (resort photographer) Cesear - pasta chef, Gabriel- omlette chef, Jose, Manuel, Jensen...plus the housekeeping..and grounds people!
If you learn to speak a little spanish, they will try their best to to talk with you.

The BEACH
beautiful, clean and long! The guys are on the beach first thing in the morning cleaning up seaweed washed in. The loungers and Tiki Huts closest to the ocean are usually all gone by 8am.. however we found a bed with a tarp over top everyday. Some of the beds didn't have the sun block tarps, but we had no problem. The beds are a bit close together and if you are trying to sleep, you can get woken pretty easily by chatty people next to you.
The POOL
is a great place to hang out late in the day. It is really hot up there during the afternoon, with little breeze. So we found later in the day a great place to wind up the day.
We used the jaccuzzi and it was all ours for over an hour. It is big, and the water was warm.

We were at this resort 3 years ago, and we noticed that nothing has really changed. The rooms look the same... sheets..pics, lights... The pool might need a paint job or a thorough cleaning, and the grounds were beautiful.

This resort is still a couple resort, adults only and was pretty quiet after dark There was a great beach party on Saturday night though that lasted until midnight.

If you want to leave the resort to go to the casino or sister resorts, then a free shuttle comes by every 10-15 mins.

We took the taxi back to airport when we left, It gave us another 2 hours at the resort.. The shuttle comes 4 hrs before your flight and PCP is the first stop. Took 25 minutes to get to airport, and we didn't have to wait in long line.. We pre booked our seat too

For us all we wanted to do was escape the cold, and our kids, and enjoy each others company. We did that! plus we met some great people too. We are very happy with our stay once again. If you have any questions ..msg us..

Room Tip: learn to speak a little spanish... hola' and muchos gracias goes a long way.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank stevienjackie
Dartmouth, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

We flew Sunwing from Halifax, Nova Scotia to Punta Cana on March 20th. This was an excellent experience for us. We had bought the elite packgage for extra leg room and priority check in. We were not disappointed. Our flight left on time and we were at the Punta Cana Princess by 10:30 am.

Check in was very quick. Our friend's room was ready, so we had our luggage deposited in their room and headed for the beach restaurant. I love the ambiance of the Mare Nostrum and their lunches. Many thanks to Santa for her wonderful smile and readiness to please. The beach bbq was a hit with our group and we enjoyed eating outdoors on the beach. Great chicken! I didn't care for the seafood at night, but that's just me.

Our room was on the 3rd floor in buliding four. 4218. We had asked for an ocean view and we had a partial one due to the palm tree directly in front of our balcony. However, the room was very clean, towels were abundant, the bathroom always smelled fresh, and the bed was comfortable. We received our welcome basket from Sunwing along with our rum. We didn't get to the basket until our second day and it was gone by the time we returned from the beach. I guess I should have put the fruit in the fridge like our friends did.

We spent most days at the beach and had to rise early to play the "towel" game. I went down one morning at 6am and there were "saved" chairs taken by people leaving their towels from the evening before. We didn't always get the chairs in the same spot everyday. We spent one lovely day at the pool.

The a la cartes were wonderful. We ate at the Italian two nights, the Steak house 2 nights, the Petite Fondue on our last evening, the Mare Nostrum, and of course the buffet. Francesca made us feel so welcome at the buffet. Always a smile and she always went out of her way to seat us in the same area each day. She set up a special table for us at La Petite Fondue on our last evening. A very nice touch and thank you. A special mention goes out to Nancy at the Steakhouse restaurant.

We took PC Mikes' Punta Cana 1/2 Higuey tour. David was our host and he was so knowledgeable and made our trip very worthwhile. I would highly reccomend Mikes' trip.

We had a day and a half of rain during our week stay, but that didn't deter us from enjoying ourselves. The beach, the warm water, the ability to walk for miles and the sun were a definite break from winter.

I enjoyed the small resort, the friendliness of staff and the people we met from across Canada and the US. A special hello goes out to Jeff and Gabby from Ohio.

We will return again.

Room Tip: Building 4 or 5 on the third floor.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank JOAN S
East Meadow NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

Many of the reviews here are great and were very helpful to us before our trip to PCP. I will just add a few things that I think might be helpful. I have been to many islands and several all inclusives, I really liked Punta Cana and I think the PRINCESS may have had a lot to do with it. The resort is small and cozy and does not use golf carts to get from place to place. If you do go onto the sister resort (which you can for dinner) you can go on a tram or walk. The PCP is adults only and there are ALOT OF COUPLES...I'd say MOSTLY COUPLES with hardly any nightlife so if you are a group looking for the party..this is not for you. Don't bother bringing your laptop, they have 3 laptops in the lobby and you can go on for free for 20 minutes. If your time runs out and no one is waiting they will give you another code for another 20 minutes. They were renting modems to use in room but i didn't bother with that. All of the rooms on the property have pretty good views either of the pool, the gardens and of course if you are in block 4 or 5 upstairs, you will have a great view of the lobby. The beach is awesome and the water is not too rough since you are not on the Atlantic Ocean side. The bus ride was about 25 minutes from the airport. I thought the food was GOOD. I love Spanish seasoning and rice and beans and fried bananas etc...so i just LOVED the food. They did have grilled chicken, hamburgers, hot dogs, french fries, pizza. The breakfast was just ok. not great but they did have an omelet station and all types of bread and a panini presser. You never went hungry there was always food at the beach bar restaurant which is so kool to just hang out in the afternoon and get a burger and have a cold drink while you are outside (at the BEACH) We never found the al a cart restaurants to be overcrowded....I liked the food and the little restaurants themselves are so nicely decorated. Someone is always coming around to fill your water glass and make sure you are well taken care of....the service and the staff were all 5 star in my opinion. They could not do enough to make sure you were well taken care of and enjoying yourself. My dad commented that they didn't seem to mind doing their job...wow now there's a novel idea!!! It is a small resort and the staff will most likely know your name by the time you leave. You see the same guests everyday and become friendly. We met some nice people. When we first checked in we got a bad room with a rundown bathroom and bathtub, IF this happens to you....ask to change your room right away. It's no problem. They showed us two other rooms and we picked the one we liked. Once we moved, we were very happy with the new room. The resort requires a little walking. We didn't use the spa or the gym but all of the public areas, lobby, restaurants and grounds were in very good condition. the rooms ARE a little rundown. Bring wash clothes if you use them. There is a mini spa by the pool with a hot tub and sauna which are Free to use but the water in the hot tub wasn't hot. I don't know if it worked. I didn't go in. When we were there people were smoking cigarettes and since the lobby is open aired, smoking is allowed. There are scorch marks on the countertops and everywhere. I loved the lighting and the coloring on the buildings, and the grounds....The resort looked so gorgeous all lit up at night. If you go to the beach and turn left there's beach hut shops about 10 minutes down the beach with pushy salesman of course : ) AND many water sports and boat ride hires right next door. Ask at the front desk or speak to the other guests seems there are different activities going on at night but the hotel doesn't hand out any daily activity sheet as some hotels and cruises do. You just have to ask around about what's going on at the front desk. We missed Chinese food in the buffet one night b/c we didn't know. The animation team tries hard to entertain at the pool and in the lobby in the evenings. It was cute and the people seemed to enjoy it.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends