“entertainment”

Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Ranked #17 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Just had a great holiday at the Dreams. Entertainment in the day brilliant especially for kids and teanagers. However night entertainment was vey disappointing. Only 4 shows done by the animators plus 3 "proffesional" shows consisting of 1 good circus act and 2 very mediocre
magicians. Then because we were there for 2 weeks we had to watch it all twice. Havings been to Iberostars for the previous 2 years when their shows were on a three week loop together with a resident band and singers we found it very dissappointing. It spoilt the holiday and we shall not revisit.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa

Reviewed 6 April 2012

I have just returned from 2 weeks at Dreams with my Husband & it was wonderful. We have a large family & alot of work commitments & needed some quality time together, Dreams provided that, even though there are families with young children there, you wouldnt know it the children are well catered for at the kids club & from what I saw & heard the activities are brilliant for them.

The resort is vast & if you google the images for the rooms etc it is not a lie that is exactly how it looked . We had a sea view room in block 1 & it was perfect. Maid service every day - our maid used flower petals & towels to make some beautiful displays in our room daily & each night they replace your bath towels etc & turn your bed down for you. It is the little things that make this place a perfect holiday.

The grounds are well maintained & the gardeners work all day to keep them looking beautiful. There are also Peacocks round by the sports bar, Flamingos in their own pond by one tiny part of the pool
& fish in another.

The Beach was lovely & the activities were free ( except the scuba diving) you had to give a $20 deposit to use the equiptment but you got it back when you returned.

The Pool was amazing & well maintained & they have listened to the moans about sunbeds because they now have a new batch round the pool area & they werent all in use even by midday.

The food is good & I have read the reviews regarding poor choice etc & I can honestly say that if you cant find something you want to eat from the extensive range, you would have to have an eating disorder. I would recommed the World Cafe in the mornings as it does have the biggest selection, its not a free for all either, you wait to be seated in all restaurants but in the World Cafe considering the vast amount of people using it, we never waited to be seated.

The Portofino & Oceana were the best for evening eating in our opinion, but all the restaurants served good food & the staff could not do enough for you.

The Entertainments team are amazing & keep you occupied during the day ( if you want to be) but the shows they put on are brilliant, there is also a casino & nightclub at the resort & although we didnt visit the nightclub alot of the younger ones said it was good.

The bars were well stocked & all branded spirits ( not local) we had a soft spot for the Rendevous bar ( up at reception) the staff were friendly & helpful & really chatty -afternoon & evening staff- they are Carlos, Alexandre,Alejandro,Alberto & Wilkins.

You tip if you want to, its not compulsory & I didnt see anyone being treated differently if the didnt tip, the tip is usually 1 Dollar.

Room service is all included in the price & although there is a menu if you want something else & they have it, they will bring it for you.

Although I have given a 5 for this reveiw it is no thanks to the guys trying to sell you timeshare. After I had said no thank you politely to the first one, I was then tackled by a further 2, one of them not in the sand coloured suits that they wear, but wearing black trouser & a white shirt, which makes me think he was one of there bosses, who demanded to know why I wouldnt just listened to them & when I said I wasnt interested & walked away tried to call me back with "eh you" I didnt complain & just walked away, part of me now wishes I had to save others the hassle. but that was the only bad thing about the resort, its beautiful & well worth the money.

Thank you Dreams for restoring my sanity.

Room Tip: All the rooms are either sea view or pool side so it just depends on your preference, all the rooms...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Pearl P
operacionesdrepc, Manager at Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2012

Dear Sir or Madam,

We are truly humbled by your kind words and appreciate the time you have taken to comment on your stay at our resort. As a service oriented company our main concern is our guests’ satisfaction, and we’re pleased to know that we met your expectations and that you enjoyed your visit.

We value your informative observations and suggestions and we’re certain that many of our future guests that visit this site will find this information very useful when looking for answers to many of their questions.

Your compliments and acknowledgement of the customer service you received from our staff serves as great motivation and provides them with the confidence and energy needed for their daily work.

Thank you for preferring our property and we look forward to welcoming you back “home” in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 6 April 2012

We were there on March 22nd.
To hear some of the bad reviews do not reflect our vacation at Dreams! From the day we arrived we were treated like family by ALL the staff.
The entertainment as a whole was spectacular...of equal quality to Vegas in our opinion. Special thanks to Grecia. Beautiful lady inside and out! Wilbert, always making us laugh, just the thought of him even now while we are home! lol Wilson for being Kerrys one on one partner in the game of bocce...even though they lost! lol Oscar-our favorite friend at the preferred lounge. Thanks to you all.
The grounds were always well maintained EVERY day! Pool was beautiful and did stretch the full length of the resort. The rooms were very nice. Food was excellente...including the huge selection at the buffet.
The only thing i would say that would help some visitors is that the whole 7 days we visited there was only one day that we did not have a red flag on the beach. Almost always surf...and that has nothing to do with the management at dreams.
In conclusion, we would most definently return to this resort! Thanks once again guys!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kerry R
Reviewed 5 April 2012

We traveled the end of March, 2012. There were 4 couples that traveled together for our yearly getaway. We had visited this resort before it became a Dreams, about six years ago.
We each booked a 'swim out' room and were very happy with them, good layout and a really nice, clean room. All of the wait staff and cleaning staff were so friendly and efficient...we really enjoyed them all. We left $5.00 a day for the room cleaning staff and tipped the wait staff as well. We normally gave $5.00 for a couple of rounds and if we had more drinks, we retipped then. They remember your name and what you usually drank....doesn't take much to make them happy!
The breakfast buffet was good...we didn't try it for dinner. The a la carte restaurants were just ok....the Japanese being all of our favorites.
The only downside to our whole vacation is the 'selling; of vacation clubs. We were told so many lies to get us to go and it ended up taking almost 3 hours, when we were told it would be 90 minutes. We were led to believe it was a $149.00 Dreams Club..used for extras and upgrades. It turned out to be a $40,925.00 vacation club (RCI, AM Resorts)....just this experience sours you for the week. Hard sell, lies, and extremely rude people. Go to the resort, but DON'T GET SUCKERED IN on this. Let the guy give you your Dreams money and then run away and enjoy your vacation!!!
All in all...I recommend this resort.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank BeachloverIndiana12

Dear Guest,

We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your recent visit to our resort, and truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with future guests that visit this site We’re happy to know that you were satisfied with your accommodations and that our staff provided you with excellent service.

We’re sorry that you did not have a pleasant experience with the Unlimited Vacation Club and we have forwarded your comments to the corresponding department. We understand that there is always room for improvement and your feedback is very important to us as it permits us to identify and address any deficiencies in our daily operation.

Thank you and we hope to have the opportunity of hosting your stay once again at our beautiful resort.

Reviewed 5 April 2012

My husband and I went the last week of February to celebrate our 20th anniversary. This was our first experience with an all-inclusive. I have been reading other reviews and would say there is some truth to everything that is posted. First and foremost I would highly suggest - DO NOT LET THEM TALK YOU INTO SEEING THE NEW RESORT DOWN THE STREET! unless of course you actually think you would purchase a "time share". We wasted the better part of our first morning there (which happened to be the best weather day). Our first night/day was not the greatest as they did not have a swim-out room available (which we paid extra for) and it took until 4:00 the next day to get moved after we were told 3 different times to check with them about rm availability. So combo of the sales pitch and having to change rooms, the first day did not go well. BUT, the beach was beautiful, pool was great, service was awesome, food was good to very good, presentation of the food was awesome. There were beach/swimming pool chair issues. We were supposed to have one outside of our rm and we did 2 nights, but then it would be gone the next a.m. Resort very clean. Room was average - nothing special, but clean - poor water pressure in the shower in the evening. Staff very friendly and helpful. Definitely bring $$ to tip. We spent every afternoon at the swim up bar. So have to give a shout out to Domingo, Jensy and Antonio! They kept us very happy. We also met some great people from the U.S and Canada at the swim-up bar. I did get sick, not sure from what, but was not incapacited - I diagnosed myself with Punta Cana virus (my made up diagnosis) while there, but I think I may have gotten bitten by something?? I probably should have gone to their medic. My husband would go back tomorrow, but I may want to try another resort next time - but I would definitely go back as I know more of what to do and not to do AND I think the staff really aim to please. If they just wouldn't allow the "pushy" vendors.... Overall - great time!

Room Tip: Swim out rm. True you have to walk a few feet to the pool - but worth it. I would also choose Bldg...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CatLady2012

Dear Guest,

We appreciate the time you have taken to post your comments regarding your visit to our resort, and we regret to learn that you experienced some minor inconveniences. As a service oriented company our objective is not only to fulfill but also surpass our guests’ expectations and we put our greatest interest into your opinion. We understand that there is always room for improvement and our guests’ experiences play a key role in this continuous process.

We are pleased to inform you that since your visit we have added 400 new sun-beds to our existing inventory and we are no longer experiencing the shortage that unfortunately affected your stay.

It pleases us to know that Domingo, Jensy, and Antonio provided you with “Excelente” service, and we appreciate your acknowledgement.

Thank you and we hope to have the opportunity of hosting your stay again on a future trip to Punta Cana.

Reviewed 5 April 2012

This has been our first trip to the Dominican Republic, and the staff have been very helpful and have always been there to assist us as a family when ever and where ever we required them. The Entertainment staff have been awsome and we as parents with 2 x children have felt part of the family atmosphere that is the Dreams Punta Cana Resort and Spa. Evening entertainment has been amazing apart from one of the two magic shows which well below average if that was even possible. The rest were really well done and always had a twist whithin them so as to keep you guessing as to what was going to happen next. tHE FACILITIES within the resort are second to none and there is always something to keep you and the family occupied as a family. A really big thank you to the staff in general but more so to the following who have made this experience worth the time and money, they are namely Wilson, Chiquilin, JC, Grecia, Wilbert, Juan, Hector, Issenia, ezequiel, Junior, Mr Monkey (Carlos). The Club Prefere have always assisted us when needed and the following deserve a big thank-you for their professionalism and curtious manner, and they are Vanessa, Fernando, Adrian and Yuridia respectively. The staff work long tiring hours making sure our stay is and experience to remember and have never shown for a second that they were miserable, tyred or unhappy.From my family and I a big thank you and we will definately see you all next year.

Room Tip: The Southern part of the Resort is the best to be on.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Gareth V

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience following your recent visit to our resort. We are pleased to learn that we met your expectations and that so many of our staff members participated in making your family holiday truly special. Our resort takes pride in the excellent customer service that we provide our guests and we embrace and appreciate your compliments in this respect.

We look forward to welcoming you back “home” and providing you with "Excelente" service again next year!!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 4 April 2012

We stayed at Dreams, Punta Cana from 29th January 2012 for 2 weeks. We used “tropical sky” booking agency. We flew BA which was ideal, except the flight (unknowingly to us at time of booking) stopped in Antigua!!
When you get out the airport don’t let anyone carry your bag, carry it yourself to the minibus transfers otherwise they ask you for a big tip. The transfer from the airport to the hotel was a bit bumpy, but there was AC and we got to see what the Dominican Republic looked like. After a 45 minute journey we arrived at Dreams, were given a glass of champagne and assigned to a room. Our room was in Block 8, it was on the ground floor – right by the pathway which EVERYONE walks past by the pool entertainment centre!! We immediately hated it and complained. We were extremely tired and wanted to settle down. One of the work staff there placed us in Block 1, again on the ground floor but not facing the pool. At first we were unhappy again but we’re glad we stayed put because Block 1 is the best block!! A lovely view of the beach, the pool and pool bar around the corner!!

Breakfast
Our favourite place for breakfast was the World Cafe, the other cafe’s didn’t serve as much of a variety. The grill by the beach turns into breakfast cafe in the morning and all the birds eat your food so there is no point in going there. Also, the food wasn’t as warm and actually undercooked when compared to the food served in the World Cafe. On our last morning we went to early breakfast which was so bad we actually laughed. There is some tea/coffee and tiny muffins put out in the reception – which the birds eat anyway!! NOT WORTH IT. Just go to World Cafe breakfast at 7am onwards.
Lunch
Every day for lunch we had a burger (awful for the diet). The burgers were so delicious, and you can pick one up from the “barefoot grill” and eat it in the sun, on the beach – absolutely fantastic!!
Dinner
All the restaurants served amazing food, the only one I could fault would be the grill. It smelt so good and when we were to eat there we ordered Steak and it was so fatty we couldn’t eat it (the new York strip). We did give it another try in the second week and preferred it – so I guess just don’t opt for the steak and you’ll be fine. The presentation, service and taste in the Oceana restaurant was probably our favourite!! The El Patio also provided us with lovely food, although, 3 people kept trying to sing at people’s tables which is slightly off putting. The restaurant above the Oceana and grill restaurant was also nice, but we read the waiting list for this restaurant can be quite high – if you miss eating there I wouldn’t worry too much. The Chinese restaurant was again one of our favourites, and we also went to the Japanese restaurant on the last night (you have to book at 5.30pm). This was a wonderful experience, except – don’t get the third booth because the AC unit is broken and dripped all over my food. The service in each of the restaurants is very good. Even though you have to pay an extra for wine, don’t forget that the cava/champagne is part of your all inclusive package!! We dressed to suit the code but they don’t seem that bothered if you don’t.

Activities
There are different activities on each day which we took part in. We did archery and shooting almost every day. Attempted rock climbing but our footwear wasn’t suitable. We did hobby cat sailing and kayaking. There was also a foam party in the pool which was great for all ages. I took part in Zumba every day whilst my boyfriend went to the gym. Once you take part in an activity (can be found on the evening newsletter the maid puts on your bed) you get given “Dreams Money Vouchers”. You collect these up for your stay and use them in an auction at the end (auction prizes = hats and t-shirts). It wasn’t until the end that we realised this was a total con and people had a ridiculous amount of vouchers, sometimes up to “£150,000” worth of fake money. It’s not worth collecting!! We particularly liked Wander and Marcus – very friendly in the childrens activity area.
Evening Entertainment
One word = AMAZING. However, unfortunately the entertainment team only have one week of entertainment set up – which means we did see a lot of the same thing twice!! But regardless of this, the entertainment was fantastic; they get all the audience involved. Entertainment starts at about 8.30pm and goes through until 10.30pm. Then the nightclub opens and live music is done upstairs. There is also karaoke outside (weather permitted). We were there for Superbowl Sunday and the hotel did a massive event on the beach with HUGE TV screens, loads of food, drink and tables.
Bars
The bars operate on a great service and you HAVE to give a tip. If you don’t tip, you will wait ages to be served. The worst bar for this is the reception bar! If you haven’t tipped the bar staff mumble to each other about you and won’t serve you until everyone else around you has been served. The pool bar staff are friendly – but again work on a tip basis.
Trips
We REALLY wanted to swim with dolphins but it was so much extra and no budge on the price so we decided not to. We ended up spending $119 each (after getting $20 off) on doing a day swimming with sharks, stingrays, having a massage, small lunch, kayaking, swimming with fish and floating on a raft. It was the healthy option. There is a ‘party boat’ option that we saw that looked RUBBISH!! I’d recommend the day tour we did if you are a couple.
Extra
Towels and beds can cause a problem. You will have to wake up early and put towels out. There is also a risk that when you go for lunch that someone will take your sunbed (this didn’t happen to us but we saw it happen to a few people). It is irritating, but because everyone does it you just have to get involved. When walking through the hotel in the evening on 3 nights a week the locals come down and sell stuff. We weren’t interested in anything as they charge so much and we couldn’t be bothered to barter, some of them become quite irritated and do not take no for an answer but there were some lovely gifts. Next door to the hotel is a hotel that has been closed down because of drug problems!! DO NOT let your children go exploring alone!

Room Tip: Block 1, rooms looking out to the beach are quieter!! don't go to block 8 - there is NO privacy...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Laura H
operacionesdrepc, Manager at Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2012

Dear Guest,

We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your recent visit to our resort and truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with future guests that visit this site. Your feedback is very important to us as it permits us to identify and address any deficiencies in our daily operation. We’re happy to know that some of our staff members participated in making your stay more enjoyable by providing you with excellent service, and your mention of them in this review is much appreciated.

We have taken note of some of the issues you mention that require our attention and the corresponding departments have been informed. We understand that there is always room for improvement and our guests’ experiences play an important role in making us aware of situations that may otherwise go unnoticed.

Thank you, and we look forward to the opportunity of hosting your stay once again at our beautiful resort.