“Sooooooooo close to being Excellent!!”

Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Ranked #17 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Halifax, NS
“Sooooooooo close to being Excellent!!”
Reviewed 29 April 2012

I traveled to Dreams Punta Cana from April 21st - April 28th 2012 through Air Canada Vacations. We were a group of four - myself (30) my two sisters (28 & 19) and our mother (55) and we booked two deluxe rooms with double beds (which we were given)

We arrived late in the evening (11 pm) and were greeted with champagne and a quick check-in which was a great way to start! Although we booked our package together as a group of four and requested rooms close together, they gave us rooms at opposite ends of the resort. Myself and one of my sisters stayed in room 9127 near the lobby, and my Mom & other sister stayed in 2125 close to the beach. They told us no rooms were available closer together and we could check again in the morning, but we decided that it would be nice having a "base" close to the beach and one close to the main lobby so we did not check if we could be moved.

Rooms:

All of us loved having ground floor rooms. They were clean, the safes worked great, beds were comfy, our fridges were cold and kept well stocked, air conditioning was excellent, shower/toilets worked great and we all loved having hammocks on our on little patios. The only complaint was that in our room, 9127, the ceiling started leaking on day four near the front door, even when not raining. We called maintenance and they never showed up. There was so much water we had to lay beach towels down as I also slipped and fell coming into the room one day. We didn't want to waste anymore time waiting for maintenance so we never did call them again. We just learned to live with all the water - and it really didn't bother us too much. I give the rooms 4/5 because everything else was great!

Room Service:

All of us used room service a few times, and it was always great! Food was good, arrived quicker than the estimates they gave us on the phone and the menu was awesome - and it was all included! 5/5 for the room service!

Beach:

Beach was very nice, always lots of chairs available, no need to get up early and reserve! Waiters would come and bring us drinks and never expect tips but did appreciate them. Sand was beautiful, nice swimming area. It was VERY windy though - hard to read a book and wearing a hat was impossible as it kept flying off. Beaches off the resort on the Caribbean side were much, much nicer and if the beach is a big thing for you I wouldn't book this resort.
4/5 for the Beach!

Pool:

Pool was beautiful, clean, perfect temperature and always lots of lots of chairs available. Wi-Fi worked at the pool (but not beach) which I loved. Near the swim up bar it was loud, with lots of music, activities etc. and was great for a party crowd. The middle of the pool also has a bar but is a very quiet area where you could lay in such peace and suntan. The beginning of the pool is where all the kids were and was a bit noisy but fun, kid noise! Pool never felt crowded and someone was always around bringing you drinks.
5/5 for the Pool!

Restaurants/Food/Drinks:

Food was amazing, tons of choice and everything was good. We tried every restaurant and the Italian was the best by far! We always had a 20 minute - 1 hour wait for dinner, they would give you the buzzers/pagers so you could go to the bar and they would go off when your table was ready. The only one we did not enjoy was the Oceanside Grill as we waited a hour for a table, 40 minutes for our food and it wasn't really that good. Otherwise even the fussiest people could find something they enjoy at this resort. Drinks were kept flowing and not watered down - if anything they were a bit too strong. I found asking for just a "little" alcohol worked well :)
All of us did get sick though, one of my sister was terribly ill - it was scary! We cannot pin point what we ate that made us ill, but I wouldn't be afraid to eat at this resort again as I talked to lots of people and it seems as though we were the only ones affected.
Food & Drinks get a 5/5!

Spa:

We all took advantage of the Wellness Center which was just lovely! One of my sisters & I did the "Dreams" spa package and we both loved it and thought it was well worth the $159 we each paid. The massages were heaven!
5/5 for the Spa!

Entertainment:

This is where the resort needs improvement. There was a different show each night but they were terrible! We expected to see great dancing - but they were just bad. We were all actually bored. We went everynight and it never got any better. If the shows were on par with other resorts I would of given a 5/5 rating, but we are seriously not fussy people and they were just....bad
1/5 for Entertainment.

Other things:

Wi-Fi was $60 for unlimited for the week and worked great except was down for 3 hours one morning. No biggie! Worked all over the resort (except beach) and was strong connection. Loved being able to Face Time my husband & kids while laying at the pool!

I did find we got better service when tipping. No biggie for us as I tried to leave $1 every other drink as let's face it, we have it soooo much better off than the workers there do. Please don't be cheap! We tipped our maid $3 each day and left little gifts as well. We also tipped our wait staff - not much, but that little bit goes a long way. I brought $75 in one dollar bills and it was more than enough for the week.

Vendors - Saw them twice during our stay, and I did not find them overly aggressive at all! I bought a necklace from one for $15 which was originally offered to me for $125. I was told to haggle them down to 20% of what they are asking. It was kind of fun!
I also bought one excursion from the vendor at pool-side and it was the best outing of my trip!

Time-Share - Was never approached at all, and we spent lots of time in the lobby. Nothing to worry about! I was concerned after reading reviews and sure enough saw them there, but they never ever even came up to us!

Grounds - Were beautiful and well-maintained. All public bathrooms were clean, and there was lots of staff around always cleaning up.

If you booked this resort and are worried about bad reviews - don't be. This is a great resort and you will have fun! I just wish the Entertainment was much better.

(although we did not have any kids with us I know my children would love this place and it was super family friendly)

Room Tip: Our room, 9127 was much quieter than the other room we had 2125 near the beach.
7 Thank felecians

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,934)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
DuBois
Reviewed 29 April 2012

This was our first experience at an all inclusive. The hotel was really nice, lots of beautiful landscaping, and the rooms were nice.
The restaurants were marginal, nothing to rave about, but, plenty to eat and select from. The wait staff was excellent, treated us very well, and so friendly.
The pool was very nice with lots of room for relaxing, plenty of chairs and loungers to be used and the pool staff kept it very clean.
The beach was lousy and my biggest disappointment. There was a coral reef not very far from the shoreline and lots of rocks between the shore line and the reef so spending any quality time in the water was non-existant; water shoes were a necessity. There was a small section roped off for swimming but even that was large rocks on the bottom and it was miserable. The expected clear turquoise waters of the caribbean were non existant. However this was my fault for not checking closer because this resort is actually on the the Atlantic front and not the Caribbean and I did not realize that. We spent most of our time at the pool.
We were expecing a romantic caribbean vacation and absolutely did not get it. Not entirely disappointed but will not be going back.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rick I
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed 28 April 2012

Second trip to Dreams. Came back this year for my nephews wedding. Not dissapointed! Had a fantastic time. This resort is well groamed & maintained. The staff all round are full of energy and can't do enough for you. The key word is Excellenta. They want to make sure your whole Vacation is just that Excellenta! As last year coffee boy was very entertaining. Chiquilin and JC are loads of fun! Keep up the good work Carmen. The rooms are very bright and comfortable. The food and service was great, something for everyone. The beach shoreline is very nice and well looked after.
We will be back!

Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 28 April 2012

I have to say (amazing) again. The staff at this resort makes it what it is. We arrived on April 10th 2012 & left on the 17th. From the moment we arrived till the time we left the service was outstanding. The entertainment team, JC, Chiquilin, outstanding job. You guys know how to entertain. Carmen & Maria from the baracuda bar-Thank you for keeping the glasses full, not any easy job with my family. Coffee boy, thank you for the great coffee and show, amazing as always. Look forward to the next visit, see you soon!

(corona)

1 Thank Geri G
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 26 April 2012

We visited this all-inclusive resort in March with 36 family and friends for a destination wedding. Loads of activities for young and old- even a special supervised area for younger children. 6 restaurants serve a wide variety of cuisine- the Mexican was the best, but the wide ranging buffet was quite good as well. Dress code ranges from casual to dressy casual. Nightly live entertainment featured local act and was lots of fun. My favourite spot was the serpentine pool that ran the length of the resort- in spite of the large number of guests, it never seemed crowded. The local beach was also excellent and featured a variety of activities. A number of bars serving anything you can imagine are located throughout the resort. The accommodation and facilities were very clean and the entire staff were very welcoming and friendly. I recommend it highly for families and couples.

Room Tip: 3- story complex- Select groud floor if you can
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank JK65Toronto_Canada
Hamilton ON Canada
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Let me remark on the people whose country we were visiting, our hosts if you will. The ones we met, the staff of Dreams, exceeded all expectations of friendly, cheerful charm. Their range of social rank from sweeper to general managers and all between was a marvel of what makes a society work well. Each has the skills and the training to contribute to the whole and our presence among them was comfortable and mutually agreeable. The gave to us what we had contracted with them, and the natural pleasure arising from our arrangement was a shared, if temporary, social structure of the served and the service given. A finely tuned and successful order of things.
Tio Tom.

Room Tip: There are the loveliest cool breezes from the Atlantic, and rooms at the ocean end of the site are p...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Tiotom391
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 26 April 2012

I and my girl friend went there end of December 2011. The hotel itself is great, the staff is friendly and the food is good. The biggest plus for the huge pool, it goes all the way from the hotel door steps to the beach.
Not a very great beach though, but the pool was more than enough. Island excursion is highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple