“Amazing time!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Albany, New York
“Amazing time!”
Reviewed 24 February 2012

We had a wonderful time over our one week vacation at the Paradisus. Our personal concierge, Pedro Zorilla went above and beyond his job description to assit our family. He even went out and personally bought dish soap for us when we asked about it's availability so I could wash my baby's bottles! EVERY single person that we interacted with from the wait staff to the grounds crew were so polite and kind. We did not encounter one rude or mean employee. We also had a blast with Ramon Fuego, the pool bartender. He was another staffer that went above and beyond to help us out. Always bringing us water and chips for the kids as we sat pool side without even having to ask for it! He loved our daughter and would constantly tell us so! We will definitely be returning one day!

Room Tip: The connecting rooms were great for our large family. However, a stroller is very helpful as some of...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank K M
ManagementPPRL, General Manager at Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Dear guest,

I am very proud to have received your impressions and I sincerely appreciate your respects on the efforts and dedication demonstrated by Pedro Zorrilla as well by our bartender Ramon, since is thanks to staff members like them that we are able to accomplish our goal-the total satisfaction of our guests. Please rest assured that your comments will be transmitted to the personnel involved.

Once more, thank you for extending us your experience and I look forward to welcoming you back at Paradisus Palma Real Resort.

Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,035)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Forest Hills NY
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Another wonderful week in Paradise for my wife and I. We are members of the Sol Melia Vacation Club, and always get a great suite in the first building closest to the beach. During the day we love those cozy thatched beds around the pool. I'm a Diet Coke drinker, and after day one, the pool bartender had an ice bucket filled with Diet Coke bottles at our reserved pool bed each day for the rest of our trip. Little things like that add to our wonderful feeling about this place. The BBQ on the beach on Saturday night was also a highlight. The outdoor breakfasts were great and being open until 11 let us sleep late each day. A special shoutout goes to Lisandro Ramos, he is the food and beverage manager. We never saw a more hands on manager. He was everywhere and at every meal supervising the staff. I don't know when this guy gets to rest. Speaking of the staff, they could not have been friendlier. Housekeeping always left flowers in our room and the pool staff had our towels ready when we got to our poolside area. On Valentine's Day those towels were arranged in a lovebirds design. A really nice touch. I can't really comment on the entertainment because my wife and I just love to sit out on the beach after dinner and gaze at the full moon and stars. Not bad after 42 years of
marriage. We'll be back in December and we can't wait.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for choosing again our Paradisus Palma Real Resort for your vacation as well as for letting us know about your recent stay.

It is truly a pleasure for me to learn we fulfilled your expectations and that you had a memorable stay with us. I sincerely appreciate your respects on the efforts and dedication demonstrated by Lisandro Ramos; please rest assured that I took a good note of your observations.

Once again, thank you for share your impressions and I look forward to welcome you on December at this, your second home.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 February 2012

I don't even know where to start. First of all, I travel a lot and this is my third and my husband's fourth time to the Dominican Republic. This is our first time to Punta Cana though and I will never go back. We stayed at this hotel for our friends' wedding on February 12th and spent more money on 4 nights here than 12 nights in Thailand for my sister's destination wedding last year.

When we first arrived (after a horrible wait at the airport) we had a couple more daylight hours and were excited to just relax before dinner. Instead, we were taxied over to Melia, next door as they had overbooked Paradisus and assured us that with our upgraded royal service there, it would be practically the same. After checking in, we were about to get escorted to our rooms when some of our friends came back to the VIP check in and told us to turn around because the rooms they were just in were disgusting. We asked the Melia ladies to call someone over to talk to us about the room situation and were assured that he/she was immediately on their way. After about a half hour, the lady said, "I just spoke to the booking manager at Palma Real and you MUST stay here for your entire trip" Excuse me? We don't have to do anything and we paid to stay at Paradisus! We immediately picked up our bags and went back to the front desk at Paradisus where it took another hour or so to miraculously find the rooms that they didn't have a while ago but had now. I had to pull up my confirmation email proving that I had paid for a master suite as they were trying to put us into a junior suite. How is it that the hotel doesn't have this information in their system?! Irritation beyond belief.

When we got to the room (3937), the door was WIDE open. The room was fine. It would have been great if we spent at least half of what we did but because it was so expensive, you'd expect it to be amazing. The bathtub doesn't have working jets and the stopper didn't work so we shoved a face towel around it to take a bath. As many other reviewers have said, I have to give it to the housekeeping staff as it was really clean however, on the second day, we came back to the room and the door was open again! This time it was simply ajar but still! Nothing had been taken and I called the concierge right away and they sent a memo to housekeeping and security. It didn't happen again.

The food was terrible. We ate at Gabi beach twice and it was terrible there too. Everyone's taste is different but for us, the food was borderline inedible and they did not offer any Dominican food. I don't know about you but I want to eat and drink local when I travel. Terrible... that is all.

Service. Settle in because this is where it gets really good. Now, we're tippers but by the middle of the second day, we mostly stopped because it got us nowhere. The only place to get a good drink is at the lobby bar and preferably from Esteban. Drinks from the pool bar were weak and often disgusting. I had a bloody mary that tasted a bit like actual blood. Yup, true story. Service at meals was attentive. At one dinner our waiter was there to pull out our chairs and brought new drinks when the last ones were almost done. Service with the concierge was either non-existent or amazingly slow. Our friends that were trying to set up a babysitter during the wedding reception was at the desk for almost an hour although they had already set it up prior to arriving at the hotel. I'll let them review their own experience.

The managers are no better. After the room debacle the groom negotiated an upgrade in bracelet color from white to black for those of us that were affected. To this day, we have no idea what we got with the upgrade as not a single person could tell us. We asked many people and no one could give us a clear answer. One thing we do know is that it allowed us to eat at Gabi Beach without any additional cost. We were supposed to meet before the rehearsal dinner at the front desk to upgrade the bracelets where the groom was told by Frederick that they did not have them and could not do it right then but come back before 10pm and they could chat. This meant we had to pay for the rehearsal dinner at Gabi Beach. Directly after dinner, the groom and my husband went to talk to Frederick for an hour and a half.

They missed the Michael Jackson tribute concert, which was, on a side note, the highlight of the resort. Kudos to those performers and they should do it every night.

Now, I don't know the details of their conversation with Frederick but I didn't want to be in my husband's path when I saw him at the front desk afterward. I do know that at one point, Frederick said to my husband after asking him who he was, "Oh, you're the one who keeps leaving your door open." Excuse me?! Anyway, back to the bracelets. It got to the point that the bride was crying on the night before her wedding day. My friend and I were livid and tried to set up a meeting with Frederick the next day. We were told he would be back by 7am and left him a note with the concierge that we would be there at 10am. He was offsite all day, we had the front desk call him, we went to the wedding coordinators and spoke with Manesa and she couldn't find him. She assured us that she would call us and set up a time with both the head of the wedding department, Maciele and Frederick to discuss the problems. We never got that call. I think their tactic is to ignore their guests repeatedly until they give up because it worked on us. We were so tired of all the BS, we didn't pursue it after the wedding.

The day after the wedding, the weather was cloudy and rainy and that was when it was obvious that there is absolutely nothing to do at this resort if the weather isn't beautiful. As I'm writing this, there is so much more to say that I'm completely overwhelmed and I'd be surprised if you're still reading. I can't believe this place has any good reviews. If it weren't for our friends and a very happy wedding, this would have been the most expensive disappointment of a trip imaginable.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
14 Thank JmChoi
ManagementPPRL, General Manager at Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 26 February 2012
Thank you for having taken the time to write your comments after having stayed with us.

Exceeding the expectations of our guests and offer truly exceptional experiences is our goal. We know that in order to achieve this, it is necessary to provide good service and attitude. We will be attentive to the behavior of our staff so as to avoid situations that lead us away from the goal.

I am very concerned to learn that your stay with us was not up to what you expected. I apologize for the inconveniences encountered. Nevertheless, I would like respond to a couple of the issues you mentioned in your review:

In general we have a high porcentage of satisfaction from our guests on food quality. Still we do understand that the taste differce from each and every person and your comments will be taken in consideration. Regarding Dominican food, every monday evening we offer a special dominican buffet, every day the buffet have a dominican food corner and on request, dominican food can be prepared.

My staff always try to fullfill all our guests needs. If a problem is reported, we do our best to solve it on location in the best manner for all parts. If some of my staff didn't not meet your espectations on solving your problem, I truly apology and correcting actions already have been taken. Still I do believe the compensation given with free up-grades and complimentaries at the wedding was accepted on your part and we even recieved letters of gratitud.

Your comments on improvement areas whave been shared with all staff and it will be part of our daily work to make sure to have it corrected on a short term.

Best regards.
Cos Cob, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed 22 February 2012

The location is truly paradise! The hotel and the grounds are stunning. The water view room with the palm trees magnificent. Beautiful beach and warm trade winds. The staff was very friendly. The biggest disappointment was the food. Fruit, vegetables and pasta were fine but the meats were disappointing. Also "all inclusive" is misleading. There's Grey Goose at the bar but it's NOT included in the "all inclusive". I saw Becks beer in a cooler but everytime I ask what beer was available i never got beyond the three Dominican offerings. In addition I was somehow steered into a 90 minute time share tour but we did receive a GABI Beach dinner voucher and a YHI Spa voucher for our time. The scale in the room didn't work. The light on the balcony didn't work. Minor details maybe but this was not an "inexpensive" vacation, I didn't expect details like these to be overlooked.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank MichaelMjr
Dear guest,

I would like to express my gratitude for sharing your impressions about your recent experience.

I deeply regret that we did not impress you with our gastronomy and some of our services; comments such as yours are of the utmost importance and assistance to us and you may rest assured that I took a good note of your observations.

Once again, thank you for extending us your experience and I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again at Paradisus Palma Real Resort.

Middleton, Idaho
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We greatly enjoyed our stay at the Paradisus. The check-in and check-out were a little slow but otherwise the service was great. Our personal host - Edgar Gonzalez - was amazing. Beyond making sure our room was perfect and we had our dinner reservations, he took care of so many things including making sure our transportation to the airport was in order on the last day. The resort was perfectly maintained, the buffet good and the restaurants excellent.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Barbara G
Dear Barbara,

I would like to express our gratitude for sharing your impressions about your recent stay at Royal Service in Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort.

It is truly a pleasure for me to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and we sincerely appreciate your respects on the efforts and dedication demonstrated by Edgar Gonzalez, since is thanks to staff members like him that we are able to accomplish our goal-the total satisfaction of our guests. Please rest assured that your observations were taken into consideration.

I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again in the near future at this your second home.

canada
Reviewed 21 February 2012

just returned from the paradisus palma real and loved every minute of it
i did pay for the royal service and def received it thanks Ramone He went above and beyond to make sure i had everything i needed. I love this rersort and plan to return ASAP

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
ManagementPPRL, General Manager at Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 25 February 2012
Dear gest,

I greatly appreciate your valuable comments towards our Royal Service. It is a pleasure for me to learn that we fulfilled your expectations thanks to the effort and dedication of Ramon.

Thank you for extending us your experience and I look forward to have the pleasure to welcome you soon at your home ¨away from home¨, Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

The facilities are awesome, service great, bar and drinks great! Food is below average except for Passion Restaurant which has a new chef and is wonderful! All inclusive is nice

• Stayed February 2012
Dear guest,

I greatly appreciate your comments about our service and facilities. At Paradisus Palma Real we have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations; this definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of excellence. On the other hand, your observations concerning our gastronomy were taken into consideration.

I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again at Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort.