New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #14 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
East Rochester, New Hampshire
“Second Christmas Vaccation and wonderful time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

We went for second year in the row to the Paradisus Palma Real in Punta Cana and had a wonderful time.
we always have great service and the people are just wonderful,.
We met some great people that work that and helped us a lot and made our experience amazing.
People like Pablo serving us at the breakfast buffet, Ornie and Fernando at the piano bar making great drinks, yuberky gomez serving drinks at the Cassino, Francisco Tchello serving drinks at the members only poll. These are among great works that make our vacation even better at the Palma Real and thats why we decided to go back and bring more family members to enjoy this amazing place.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ManagementPPRL, General Manager at Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 22 April 2012
Dear guest,

I would like to express my gratitude for sharing your impressions about your recent experience. At Paradisus Palma Real Resort we have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations, and it is a real pleasure for me to hear that we have achieved our goal. This definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of excellence.

I feel proud and grateful for your comments regarding to our staff. It is thanks to our excellent team that we are able to accomplish our goal - the total satisfaction of our guests. I will gladly pass on your compliments to each you have mentioned.

I look forward to have the pleasure to welcome you and your family in the nearest future, at this “your home away from home”.

Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,864)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

My wife and I chose the Palma Real for our honeymoon after getting positive reviews from a few friends and family, and we were not disappointed. There were beautiful beaches with private cabanas for shade, lots of great activities, and our room was beyond expectations. Our concierge, Alberto Mercedes, went above and beyond to make our stay perfect - he took care of everything we needed including dinner reservations and any special requests we had. We tried every restaurant they had and loved them all. The pool bar was a frequent haunt for us, where Victor and Ramon "Fuego" made sure we had a great time. We would (and probably will) visit again, and we would recommend it to anyone looking for a fun and relaxing vacation spot!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ManagementPPRL, General Manager at Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for choosing our Paradisus Palma Real Resort for such special occasion, your honeymoon.

It is truly a pleasure for me to learn that you had a memorable stay with us and I sincerely appreciate your respects on the efforts and dedication demonstrated by your concierge Alberto. Please rest assured that I took a good note of your observations.

Once again, thank you for share your impressions and I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again at Paradisus Palma Real Resort.

Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

I just returned from staying at Paradisus Palma Real and I have nothing but great things to say. I was there on a girls trip & we did the Royal Service. I've read some of the other reviews & I'd have to agree that Royal Service is definitely the way to go. Our butler, Carlos & concierge-Alvaro (AC) made sure we were taken care of every step of the way. Overall the food was good...of course, some restaurants were better than others. Loved Gabi Restaurant the most...the food, ambiance as well as the music. Also, loved the bartender, Samuel, at the new restaurant, Palazzo. No matter where we had our dinner reservation, we would always get the "Samuel Special" before heading to dinner. They also had a good chocolate soufflee at Palazzo!

We mostly stayed in the private beach & pool area. We had a reserved bali bed & palapa every day at the beach. There was a slight issue w/our palapa reservation by the pool but it was resolved quickly. All of our reservations were taken care of by our butler & concierge and whenever we needed anything at all, we had a cell phone (given to us by the resort) that allowed us to call our butler any time. It was a nice touch!

The spa at the Reserve was wonderful...we literally did not want to leave that place. My massage therapist, Milly, was great. And the warm pool & jacuzzi didn't hurt either.

Admittedly, reading some of the negative reviews was very shocking to me because our experience was so exceptional! However, with any resort, there will always be someone that may have a negative experience because no place is perfect. So I can only speak about our experience as a Royal Service guest and they met & in many cases, exceeded our expectations. We would definitely recommend staying here & we plan to be back again next year.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for sharing your recent experience as well for letting us know that you had a memorable stay at our Royal Service.

I sincerely appreciate your respects on the efforts and dedication demonstrated by Carlos, Alvaro, and Samuel. You may rest assured that I will gladly pass on your compliments to each of them.

I look forward to have the pleasure to welcome you next year at this your second home, Paradisus Palma Real Resort.

Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

In March 2011 my parents stayed at Paradisus Palma Real and had a GREAT experience, so my husband & I went and stayed at the same place a few weeks later. We had such an amazing time that we became members and went back again in March 2012!!! The resort is AMAZING, the money they spent on decor and the views are just breath taking!!! The employees are WONDERFUL and VERY attentive!!! I never had a problem with any of the employee’s being rude or un-attentive?! Especially when you tip the employees who wait on you, they remember and get you what you want before you even ask for it! A tip goes a long way!!! My husband and I noticed a lot of people don't tip the people who serviced them?! Inclusive or not, you ALWAYS tip the people who serve you drinks and food!!!
My husband and I had such a wonderful time last year that we brought back Tiger Woods hats to the bar tender, Freddy Lora, and the cabana guy, Francisco Estrella, who served us last year. Both employees were so attentive, they knew what drinks to give us and they had our cabana set up in the spot closest to the bar. Freddy knew I LOVED the “Miami Vices”, so he would save this larger glass for me and use that instead of the paper cup. Then, Freddy would make decorative items out of towels and put them in our cabana. Last year when we were leaving to go home, my husband said “We’ll see you next year and we’ll bring you each a Tiger Woods hat” (They both LOVED my husband’s hat). So, this year when we went, we brought the hats, but before they saw the hats, they knew who we were!! Now, if that’s not wonderful service, I don’t know what is?!
Once again, this year we had an AMAZING experience!!! We had the same cabana guy, Francisco Estrella, who took GREAT care of us!!! We had a new bartender, Freddy Ramos, who take such good care of us!!! Both guys would bring us drinks and did whatever it took to make sure we were taken care of!!! Of course we saw our bartender from last year, Freddy Lora, who would make us drinks and take good care of us.
After that great dinners we’d eat (Gabi Beach is the BEST restaurant), we’d get a cappuccino and then watch whatever show was on that night. I’m a cappuccino drinker and I LOVED that they had a cart!! Maria Ortiz, the Espresso cart lady, was so wonderful!! When I would walk up to the cart, she would say “1 cappuccino and 1 espresso”. I LOVED that she knew exactly what we wanted!!
The only bad thing I have to say about the resort is the ocean water. There is so much seaweed that you don't want to go into the water. I feel like they need to get a huge skimmer or something to reduce the amount of seaweed. I know they have a huge John Deer that rakes up the seaweed, but by the end of the day, there is so much built up on the beach. The sand is so white and BEAUTIFUL!!!
I CAN’T WAIT to go back next year!!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Eliza,

I look forward to have the pleasure to welcome you the next year at this “your home away from home”.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012 via mobile

I had not a pleasant experience in Punta Cana Palma Real yesterday 4/5/12. Hotel was oversold and did not guarantee the reservation. This previously happened 2 years ago in Paradisus Punta Cana. Seem to be a trend on high season. I booked my stay on 3/18 and prepaid full. Got my booking confirmation 120337098. During check in yesterday afternoon, the Hotel was oversold and after 3+ hour of delay and notice that " we are working in your case" finally the Manager show up and we settle in what was suppose to be a good deal: relocate into nearby Hotel and credit to stay in the Hotel a different date. The offered Hotel was for adult only. I had my daughter with me, so we have no option than to drive back and upset ask for a refund and demanded a free night in a nearby place, since it was around 10 pm. Finally settle on this.
What was supposed to be a relaxed Easter Weekend started with a very disappointing event. To the Administration and Reservation Manager thanks for your dis- service.
Definitely do not recommend to stay in Punta Cana Paradisus or Palma Real.

Stayed April 2012
8 Thank Emil H
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

I just returned from Punta Cana on April 1, 2012. We were there from March 28- April 1. I went with a group of my girlfriends and we had a blast!!! This is not the typical all-girls trip hotel but we made the best out of it! We did the royal service and our Butlers (Jose and Carl) were very attentive and helpful. Jose set up all of dinner reservation on our first night and he was even able to get us one for that first night despite the fact that we arrived later in the day. Vento had the best food. The hibachi restaurant was good too. So over all the food was A+. Having paid for the royal service we had more options than the baseline rooms which I really appreciated. Plus the day we left they opened the new royal lounge and restaurant, which was very nice. Enough about food...

The room was very clean. I enjoyed the iPod radio in the room. We used it whenever we were in the room getting ready!! I read about the power outages. I happened to be in the room for one and it only lasted a few seconds. But otherwise I didn't notice any issues with this. Since we had royal service we had chocolate covered strawberries, fruit plate, cheese tray etc delivered to our room daily...it was a nice touch while we were preparing fro dinner and a night out!!

THE STAFF!!! Well were to begin?? Everyone was very pleasant and helpful. I want to really mention the activities staff...Jose', Angel, Gabriel, Jimmy and Eliejer.. This group of guys made our trip unbelievable. they were very friendly and attentive. We participated in all the classes/activities: dance classes, wine tasting, painting classes and many others. Words cant express how much fun we had with them and what they added to our trip. Thanks guys!!!

Well just to let you know we had a such a great time we WILL be returning very soon!!! And doing everything the same way...royal service included.

Room Tip: Royal service was very worth it to us!!!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Dear guest,

It is truly a pleasure for me to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us, and I would like to thank you for your comments regarding to our staff. It is thanks to our excellent team that we are able to accomplish our goal - the total satisfaction of our guests. I will gladly pass on your compliments to each you have mentioned.

I look forward to hosting you again in the nearest future at Paradisus Palma Real Resort.

Best regards,
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

Let me start off by saying that sadly, this is the first time I have written a bad review on TripAdvisor. My husband and I stayed at the Paradisus Palma Real from March 29-April 3 expecting a nice all inclusive getaway. We ended up leaving frustrated and annoyed, it was the first time that we were excited to leave a vacation!! It was a complete shock considering the positive reviews that I read on here!

The Negatives: Other then Edgar, our concierge, the entire staff was rude. We would wait roughly 15-20 minutes for water and napkins at the buffet and the market grille. We learned very quickly that we had to bring a bottle of water from the room refrigerator with us to breakfast, and grab drinks from the pool bar to bring with us to lunch-I have honestly never encountered such a thing in all of my travels. Secondly, there is absolutely zero poolside service...in 5 days we had a waitress come up to us ONCE and ask us if we wanted drinks...we tipped her exceptionally hoping she would come back, but no. The food...don't even get me started. The buffet was pretty inedible. Market Grille was functional, Vento (which we had high hopes for) was disappointing and we both ended up with sour stomachs afterwards. Our two good meals were at Gabi Beach (which is an additional cost) and at the hibachi side of BANA. Other frustrations on our trip were the amount of rude guests...the stories are endless. I lost count of how many times I had conversations with other americans regarding the blatant rudeness of other travelers and the staff. We also scheduled beachside massages, showed up at the beach massage space 5 minutes before out massage was to start. 20 minutes later our massage therapists come casually walking up and have us wait additional time to put fresh linens on...no apologies for being 15 minutes late. During the massage, the therapists spoke in spanish to each other (so much for relaxing) and hardly touched a knot in my back, so needless to say, it was a complete waste of money. Lastly, do not believe the advertisements for wifi...it is non-exsistant everywhere but the lobby, and scattered here and there by the pool.

The few positives-Edgar our concierge was AMAZING. If it weren't for him, our vacation would have been a nightmare. He was so lovely and helpful and understanding of our frustrations. Another positive was that the grounds, pool and beach are amazing. The rooms are decent, with a jacuzzi bathtub and nice decor....but zero bathroom privacy, a shower that never got hot, and sheer curtains that had us awake at 6:30AM.

The hotel came at the recommendation of our close friends who have been to stay at the Reserve part of the hotel, which is apparently completely different then the hotel itself...they rave about it, and were shocked at our poor experience.

Bottom line, I would never recommend staying at the Palma Real. :(

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank Sambam2883
ManagementPPRL, General Manager at Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to air your concerns regarding your recent experience at our Paradisus Palma Real Resort.

I deeply regret to hear that we did not fully exceed your expectations with some of our services. In Meliá Hotel’s International we believe that only by listening carefully to the comments and suggestions of our guests we are able to immediately detect areas for improvement and can therefore take actions instantly.

Once more thank you for your constructive criticism and you can rest assured that your observations were taken with the utmost consideration and discussed the issues to the corresponding departments in order to fine-tune our operation.