“Ultimate relaxation”

GreenLeadersGold level
Montreal, Canada
“Ultimate relaxation”
Reviewed 9 April 2012

My bf and I just got back yesterday from the Royal, and we had a great time. We are a young couple (mid 20s, early 30s). We found the average age to be about 50, which is a bit high for us, who like a good party, but we expected this and still had an awesome stay.
THE ROOM
The room was spotless, we stayed in a deluxe room, which is on the renovated side of the hotel, I highly recommend booking a deluxe, or a suite if you can afford it, because the rooms are super nicely renovated and fresh. The room was always cleaned well, and there were plenty of towels to go around. The mini fridge was kept full of water, beer and sodas (one time they did not refill the beer, so we put a dollar in the fridge, and that solved that). The shower was amazing (rain shower head), and the bath was great; no jets, but still super relaxing. The balcony is spacious, there was a hammock, 2 chairs and a table. The tv= flat screen and plenty of channels to choose from if you're into that. The room was just great, no complaints whatsoever. One time I, like an idiot, left the room safe wide open- it had over 1000$, our passports, sunglasses, etc, but nothing was taken. The manager had us sign a form stating that everything was still there. The cleaning person saw that it was open, contacted the manager who then found us and had us go check it out. I was very reassured by this process.
THE POOLS
The infinity pool, which is closest to the beach is awesome. Clean, beautiful and relaxing. There is no swim up bar at this pool, but it is right next to the pool. Some of the bartenders will come up to the pool and serve you there, others will not, but I did not find this a negative point.
There is no music played at this pool, which for us, was a negative point, but for others, a positive point.
Beware that there are only 11 sunbeds around the pool. If you want one, you have to wake up at the crack of dawn (between 6 and 7) in order to reserve one with your towels. If you're a morning person, its really no big deal, but if not, this can be seen as a negative point, however, some beds do free up mid-day, so just watch out for that. Otherwise, there are plenty of lounge chairs that are also comfortable around the pool and on the beach, so no worries. There are also plenty of sunny and shady spots to pick from, which was important for my bf and myself who burn badly, always.
The other pool, with the swim up bar, which is closer to the lobby is nice, but we chose not to hang out there because it is far from the beach. It is still a good option though, if you want.
They do play music at this pool, but we did not like the kind of music. It was disco or other "oldies", which in regular life is fun, but for us, on vacation, we want to hear dominican music, or tropical music, but it's not a deal breaker if you like this pool.
The hot tubs are awesome. Although they are not super hot, we still enjoyed them. I didn't ask them to make it hotter, but maybe that would solve the temp problem, sometimes asking will get you far. In the spa, next to the hot tubs, they have 2 saunas (one dry, one wet), this was awesome. Too bad we only discovered them on our last day!!
You also have access to the other resort pool. It is fun just to check it out once or twice, but beware of all the screaming children.
THE FOOD (overall the food is good. Remember that you're not at home, and that you cannot ever compare it to New York city meals, or for us..Montreal meals, it just does not compare, so don't try. The standards are not the same).
Thalassa was good for all 3 meals. I recommend trying it out for all 3. Breakfast was annoying at first, because they say that you have to order the omelettes from the waiter, which takes forever, but I recommend just going straight to the source (the cook, himself) and waiting for your omelette infront of his face, this is faster. The annoying thing about ordering it from the waiter is that it takes a bit long considering the rest of your meal you pick up at the buffet. You have your meal, but not the main part. Anyway, the food was good here. Andres was the best waiter at this place, he was quick, and super friendly.
Sea blue= great for lunch (burgers, sandwhiches, salads, sushi, fried fish= all tasty)
I do not recommend it for dinner though. The lobster is fun to eat, but it's bland. Sea blue is right off the beach, so you can see the ocean while eating lunch which is really nice.
The tapas resto was good, but do not compare it to a fancy tapas resto in your home town. We went once and did not go back, but it was fun that one time.
The buffets on the other side of the resort are good for breakfast or lunch, but not dinner more than once,..the ambiance is zero romantic for dinner time.
The mexican was good! We did not try the japanese or the steak house. We did not get sick from the food.
THE BEACH
The beach is really nice. There was no sea weed when we arrived, but after the 15 minute storm mid-trip, there was sea weed for the rest of the trip, but it did not bother us one bit. The staff were there all day raking it up, and it does not affect you once you're out there swimming.
We did snorkling on the resort and off the resort. There are plenty of fish to see in the water on the resort which is super cool! You pay 20$ to snorkel, as a deposit, and you get it back after you give back the mask. It was fun, we did it twice. We also went kyaking and catamaraning. Both super fun experiences. Kyaking is free, catamaran is 35$ once, and then you can take it everyday for one hour for free. We had a blast on the beach, due to these activities.
We went on an exursion (40$) it included snorkling in a different area, drinks on the boat, a snack and stopping in a natural pool to hang out for a while. The trip was about 3 hours and it was beautiful. They play loud music on the boat, so if you don'T like loud dominican music, don't do this exursion. The water was a lot nicer in the area that they took us, we wish it was like that on the resort, but the resort water is still breath taking.
THE SERVICE
The service at the bars and restos was sometimes excellent, sometimes good and sometimes bad, but really, who cares, you're on vacation and there is no rush. If we were waiting for something, we just asked again, no point in getting worked up about it. Most employees were super nice, fun and friendly, there were a few who were not as friendly, but from what I remember it was 1 or 2 people out of about 50 who we spoke to throughout our stay, so really no biggy. Front desk was helpful. One tip, the front desk rarely has ones to exchange ($$), so go ask the bellboy at the front, he gave me 10 ones one day when the front desk said they didnt have any. One time, the front desk asked the bellboy for me, so I figured it would be easier to go straight to him myself.
PARTYING
There is no noise on this resort, if you're looking for a party, maybe go to the disco, but I didn't go, so I can't say if it was good or not. We hung out at the piano bar because the bartenders were AWESOME. Manuel, Hector, Adelso and Righty were great, there are others, but I don't remember their names. These guys are fun and just want you to be happy. Their service was top notch.
On Thursday night there was a beach party, this was realllly fun; the music was good, everyone was dancing and the service was impeccable. My glass of champagne was always full.
It ended early though! 11pm.
Watch out for the mosquitos if you're the type of person to get bitten. I got about 50 mosquito bites, but my bf got 1. I bought bug spray which helped, but I kept forgetting to put it on, hence my 50 mosquito bites. Just pack some OFF!
Overall, we had an amazing time. Get to know the staff, they can really make your trip!

Room Tip: Book a room on the renovated side; deluxe or suite. Price difference for the deluxe was not huge for...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
12 Thank JessPhe
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable comment; we are delighted to read you review on TripAdvisor

It wonderful you had a great vacation stay at our Resort, and always received a friendly and caring treat from our Staff. It was our pleasure to make sure you felt trust regarding your belongings and of course received and honest service from us.

Thank you for all your valuable feedback about our different areas.

We look forward to welcoming you for another visit.

Receive warm regards from all the staff.

Josep Castellnou

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,061)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Manassas, Virginia
Reviewed 8 April 2012

My husband and I got married 5/7/11 (almost one year!) and went here for our honeymoon. It was so reasonably priced, and the room was standard but GORGEOUS. The resort is very nice, and the beach is simply amazing. The water and sand are just so clean and crystalline; looks exactly like a postcard. We stayed in the adults only section, and although we just wanted to relax and did not get too involved in activities, it was so relaxing. It was all inclusive, so we laid on the beach and were delighted to be served tasty endless cocktails. The restaurant on the beach near the pool (forget the name, maybe Sea Blue?) was nice and open.

We do wish that the room service menu was a little bit more friendly; we did not like much of the menu because it was a lot of common items (ham and cheese, BLT, chicken, etc.) that just did not really taste as they should have. I know though that in a foreign country, naturally, their take on things may be different. But my husband is not exactly a food-adventurer so he rarely likes to try anything new. The buffet in the resort was big and awesome though, and the individual restaurants were alright, but simply not quite on target for what we were expecting.

Overall, it was still a really nice place and we do want to go back with some friends for a vacation. I recommend buying things such as tanning lotion or SPF, batteries, toiletries, disposable cameras etc. before coming. Those items are SO expensive here! We forgot our memory card and bought two disposable cameras for $40!!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Kimberly C
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your comment on TripAdvisor.

We appreciate your feedback, thank you for your comments and suggestions we will have them present for improvements.
Once again thank you for choosing us for your special honeymoon vacation; it was a pleasure to welcome you for a relaxing and enjoyable stay.

Best regards

Reviewed 6 April 2012

I have the room a 3 because it smelled terrible (that public washroom smell) the closet stunk like that wet smell. Bed creaks and made lots of noises (most uncomfortable bed that I have ever slept amongst all the hotels we've been to). Room service was not that bad but they do not speak English, just Spanish! As aatyer of fact most staff only speak Spanish.

We wanted to stay at an Adult only resort which hey claim this is but there is a twist. The Catalonia has is split into two part one is the Royal (adult only) Bavaro is all ages. However it's all just one resort because its just separated by this imaginary line and beach towel colors. We found that most of the time we spent going to the Bavaro to eat because that's where the buffet is.

Food is fair at best(to us) lacks fresh fruits :-(. We didn't find anything that we would say wow that was great food!

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Kimnyl
Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for taking your time to comment on TripAdvisor.

We apologize for the setbacks presented and the inconvenience it caused you, please know your comments are very valuable for us.

We would be honor to have the chance to welcome you back again.

Best regards.

Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed 5 April 2012

We chose the Royale for a few reasons, its rating and its an adult only and we know of a couple who are repeated guests. We prefer all inclusives and like many will pay for the perks that are inportant to us.... This year we were looking for and all inclusive R and R this year and this was it, the resort is not crowded and definetly quiet, with that said the family side is a short walk if you become bored. (we did go over a few times and there is a significant difference, depending on what YOU want and prefer, we did not encounter any issues.however higher rated and priced Royale = better food and liquor quality

We were in villa 36 deluxe room - second floor somewhat facing the infinity pool
Positives:
Restaurant food and drinks - high quality
Room was large with large comfortable bed. Enjoyed the soaker tub
Hammock on the balcony nice but no privacy , have had a much more private balcony at other resorts and prefer same
Professional effecient staff, wonderful spa services and decent Royal Boutique Shop (made some purchases)
Regular towel change in your room
Short bus ride to the resort - VIP to us!
Clean and safe - security stands between resorts , ensures no guests from the family Catolonia are permitted on the resort

Disapointments:
brutal check in - flight delay and arrived at 2am, front desk (2 staff) looked like we woke them up and they were non interested in greeting us. No luggage transportation, no direction to where our room was - just a point to the doors of the lobby.... it was dark , quiet and nothing was open.... we actually wondered if anyone was at the resort. Arrival to our room was no better.... no food, no liquor and 2 warm beers in the fridge. When we called room service - they replied no alcohol, front desk said the same. Not a great FIRST impression especially after arriving 5 hrs later than what we should have.
Room service - lacking and limited ... definetly not FULL service room service and they struggle with bringing what you ordered
Mini fridge - seriously? 2 beers a day when the resort encourages 'high end service and quiet couple time with an early bed time'
No room snacks, or tea.... regularly had to ask maids for more coffee and water
Not enough Bail beds at infinity pool (same as most resorts - saved all day - but no one on them)
Wearing of wrist ID bracelets
Short beach - no long strolls

Overall, nice place and recommend if you are looking for some serious quiet R and R time.... in which we did but for us we were somewhat disappointed, we expected more because of all the hype of luxury...but we have stayed at better resorts in our opinion with the similiar ratings for the same or lower price of Royale Catalonia.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Deluxe... and request 36 villa (newer) heard other guests complaining superior rooms were...
6 Thank darjp
Nova Scotia
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I will not go into great detail since others have covered most of the highlights. Our first experience at all adult resort and loved it. The odd boiterous group sometimes spoiled the peace and quiet but not too bad. Great to have the best of both worlds - we tried all of the a la cartes on the all ages side except the Italian. The Japanese and Mexican were our favorites and exceptionally good. Room service is a bonus although we did not use it . Saw complaints in reviews regarding room cleaning, etc. but we were extremely pleased with our maid service. Nice to come back after dinner in the evening to find your bed turned down and fresh towels for your morning (Or evening) shower. The bed was OK - I prefer a soft mattress but slept well there. Loved the pillows (I am very fussy about my pillows)!! 99% of the staff were exceptionally friendly - even the groundskeepers always had a smile and friendly "hola"!! - proof that they are not just friendly because you tip.
Service at the Ocean Blue was slow and they seem a bit disorganized but - I'm on vacation so not in a big rush. It was a convenient location close to the beach and easy to just get a sandwich or other snack. The Cata Tapa was very good - enjoyed our dinner there very much. First meal at Thalassa was a disaster (beef canneloni) second was excellent - maple chicken. Luck of the draw I guess. Great service and love the special frosty drinks they drop off for you. Big plus is that you do NOT need reservations at any of the restaurants on either resort. I consider this a huge bonus.

Hard to decide if having to dress for meals was a good or bad thing - sometimes a bit of a pain but at least you are not subject to the folks who would trail in in tank tops, (or no shirts) and flip flops, etc. So I have to vote for "good" I guess. So overall it was a very positive experience.
We were pretty well always able to find a lounge chair by bottom pool or on the beach and usually shade when we needed it. No complaints t here at all.
If there is a down side to this location - the warnings upon leaving the resort beach make you hesitant to venture further - so this makes for limited beach walking which we love to do. At resorts further down you can literally walk for miles and you are always on resort property. Our Nolitour guide warned us about not venturing past the flea market area as we might encounter machine guns and cocaine, etc! Not really what I am looking for in DR!
So overall - a very positive experience ! PS - my other favorite thing - the hammock on our balcony - loved it.

Room Tip: We were in Villa 36 - very close to beach, second pool and two restaurants. We were on the second fl...
4 Thank marjcam
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Mr. Castellinou - you have one hell of a great resort. My husband and I stayed there from February 25 - March 4th. Had a spectacular time travel from the airport is awesome because the resort is so close. We arrived late at night and the little old guy at the desk was not about to carry our bags to our room - no fancy greeting but we did find our room and settled in quite quickly. Not sure why they have these late night arrivals (got there about one in the morning) - when they have no personnel available. We were travelling with my parents who are a little older. We were offered no assistance with our luggage and keep in mind - there are no elevators. My husband had recently had back surgery and our rooms were on the second floor - we had to carry all of our luggage up ourselves after travelling all day. That being said - once we were in our room - it was great. Because we were so late arriving - had trouble finding a nightcap - but made up for it the next day. The staff at this resort is simply amazing. The food - mmmmmmm. We had a preference for the restaurants on the royal side - The staff at the Thalassa are so sweet and make each visit so personal - I wanted to take them all home. I would like to personally thank Dario - the man - he is amazing. Some of our other r favourites: Joel and Ana.We also had special treatment from Dominica and Jocse and Emannuel. The staff are incredible and will make your vacation something to remember. We enjoyed some personal time with the staff that is a cherished memory. The beaches and pools are amazing. I want to go back! dario - Glen misses you!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Ldoole
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for giving us a perfect score on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to receive your comments, it’s wonderful to know you are considering returning to our Resort, and had overall very enjoyable holidays with us.

Regarding the inconvenience at the arrival we extend our most sincere apologies for the inconvenience. We look forward to your next visit to show you we can exceed your expectations.

Warm regards.

Rochester, New York
Reviewed 3 April 2012

My husband and I stayed at this resort from 3/24-3/30. We really enjoyed ourselves. The grounds of the hotel are lovely and the staff was very friendly. I don't want to repeat what others have said so here are a few key points.

Check in was a breeze. Brought us a welcome drink and hot towel at the desk. We arrived several hours prior to offical check in time but were given no trouble and brought right to our room. Although the room was clean and looked as expected, we were sad to find the fruit basket and bottle or rum promised on the website were no there. No biggie, but kind of a bummer.

The food was as expected at all resturants. We were able to find something we liked on both sides of the resort. The wait staff was always very attentive and easy to communicatie with. Knowing a little Spanish goes a long way!

One factor that made somethings difficult was the lack of information provided about the family side of the resort. Although you are given full VIP access to the resuturants, watersports, bars, and spa, we weren't given any information about where to find it! On the first day and ended up going to the other sides check in area to recieve their information. It would have been a lot easier to if we were just given that to begin with.

We had a lovely stay. The beach is beautiful and well maintained. Great resort for couples young and old. Stay here and you will enjoy yourself!

3 Thank cclynn427
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, 6 April 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for posting your comment on Trip Advisor.

We appreciate your reviews of our facilities and services. We kindly inform our front desk provides maps of the bavaro side, we apologize for the inconvenience.
It’s wonderful our services provided you a relaxed and enjoyable vacation; we look forward to welcome you back in the future.

Best regards.

15.5 km away
Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Green Don Pablo Collection
92.1 km away
Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection

Been to Catalonia Royal Bavaro? Share your experiences!