4,877 results
All reviews butler bayron amaya restaurant room service horseback riding dominican breakfast our honeymoon personal butler laundry service lobby bar plunge pool thatched roof bug spray relaxing vacation small resort welcome home ocean front spa treatments
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We just returned from Zoetry Agua after a week's stay (1/20-1/26). This was my husband's first time out of the US and we traveled with another couple. From the time I first contacted Zoetry to ask about the possibility of the staff acknowledging an anniversary for the couple traveling with us, I was impressed with the quick and positive response that I received. Upon arrival, we were greeted with warm, moist, lavendar scented towels and were told, "Welcome home." This was followed by immediate offering of tea and cocktails, which were definitely needed after the hour long CRAZY ride to the hotel (sooo thankful we did not rent a car as we might still be sitting at stop signs because locals do not recognize them....or oncoming traffic for that matter). We stayed in Room 16 and were extremely happy with the location and amenities (right next to Indigo, walk out access to the pool, steps from the beach). After reading prior reviews, I was concerned about critters and bugs, so we packed some roach bait and plenty of mosquito spray. We placed towels under the doors at night as a precaution. We did not even see 1 roach on the property until the last day, and even then it was dead outside on a walkway. Mosquitos did not bother us either...and we never used repellent. The food is tastefully done and seemingly healthy. Room service is available 24/7 and delivered promptly. Drinks flow freely with servers also coming to the beach and pool areas, although occassionally slow. Minibar restocked twice daily and you can call to have it restocked more often if needed. We only took advantage of the daily bottle of champagne once, but it was such an indulgent treat to sit on the patio, read, and refill you champagne glass as often as you like. Nothing is too much to ask here....however, you probably won't need to ask for anything because it is already there. Staff is extremely friendly and eager to help with anything and everything. One of our waiters, Juan, even noticed I was severely congested and brought me a new, unopened can of Vicks...I could have kissed him. The spa services were outstanding and we enjoyed the amenities at the Spa almost daily (sauna, hot pool)

Yes, there were a few minor inconveniences, but given that we were not in the US, I think it is only fair to keep them in perspective as they did NOT ruin our escape to paradise: no hot water one day...but was repaired the next day; drain in shower in odd position, so shower slow to drain; bathroom lighting is very dim, but what can ya do?

The husbands played golf 2 days out of the trip and loved both courses...with the exception of cab fare. To go 1 hour away, it was almost $200 round trip. However...once you consider that gas is $7 a gallon, the cab driver actually sat and waited on them (about 4.5 hours), then drove them back...When is the last time you could say that about a US cabbie? (Nothing to do with the hotel...just a traveler note)

We did not go on any excursions this time around, but plan to next time. My only word of caution would be to ensure that you truly want to be off the beaten path, out of civilization, and relax. This is not a fast paced, busy resort. If you are looking for constant action, this is not the place for you. If you are looking for low key relaxation while being treated like royalty, this is Utopia.

Oh...the beachside Yoga is a MUST!!!!!! There are many other wellness/enrichment activities to take advantage of, but you may be too relaxed to do so.

Por encima del todo (Don't worry...you will learn what it means)

3  Thank Happymominmckinney
Paco A, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for contacting us before having been swayed by any previous commentary, and for share your experience with others.

Was our pleasure have been taken care of you (Honeymoon and Anniversary couples) and we would like to welcoming you back for your next vacation.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed our honeymoon at Zoetry from 1/14 to 1/21 and I cannot say enough how absolutely wonderful everything about the experience was! The place was gorgeous, the staff was incredibly gracious and accommodating and the beach was beautiful. I am an obsessive reader of Trip Advisor and was reading it constantly prior to our departure and I almost feel as if few negative reviews just simply could be people that are impossible to please. I was considered about the bugs, to the point that I bought the heavy duty Deet lotion prior to our departure... we did not even use it. Not once. I don't know if I recall seeing a single roach or mosquito this entire time we were there. They spray daily and the constant pleasant breeze likely made even that endeavor unnecessary...perhaps this is just a pleasant bonus of the season we went!
The room was absolutely perfect. Very romantic and clean. The mini bar was kept stocked and the room was cleaned three times a day. We upgraded to a Junior Ocean Front Suite on the second floor and it was breathtaking to wake up with the view of the ocean and beach each day. The bridge is in keeping with the rest of the rustic resort feel, it is uneven and probably not ideal for ladies wearing heels, but I by no means felt unsafe walking on it. I liked the additional privacy and view that the second floor provided, and would request to stay in the exact same room again should be fortunate enough to return (#48)!
I have been lucky enough to stay at some lovely resorts in Costa Rica, Belize, St. Lucia and the Bahamas over the past few years and enjoyed some incredible trips... but I don’t know if I have ever come home raving to this point about a destination. The food was beyond description... literally everything we had was delicious. The wait staff checks on your while on the beach to make sure you have everything you need and I never found the language barrier to be inhibiting...
Alright, I will wrap this up... But quickly would echo the advice on trying the horseback riding and yoga. And men, definitely bring long pants for dinner... usually one of the dining options requires “Resort Elegant” attire. The tipping is definitely appreciated by the staff, and we brought a bunch of $1 and $5 bills to tip for dinner and drinks. It never came across as expected though!
Thanks for reading and enjoy your travels.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank rebeccamgoepp
uguzmanUA, Guest Relations Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Dear Guests,

Thank you for choosing us as destination for your memorable honeymoon, and for such positive comments about our Staff, and all the facilities that offer to our guests.

Feel welcome for a future anniversary trip.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

My husband and I visited Zoetry January 13 - 19, as part of a sales group - about 70 of us. I had read many of the reviews posted at this site and felt I was prepared for pretty much anything! I had stuff for mosquitoes, chiggers, cockroaches, sunburn - even immodium for GI disturbances! I have to say I did not even need to use one thing! I did pass around the stuff for sunburn and a few people in our group had some bad bites of some kind, but neither my husband nor myself ever even used the repellent and had no problems.

I loved the feel of the place. The way it looked (the thatched roofs and wood bridges especially gave a bit of a jungle feel) and the friendliness of the people just made you feel so at home - BUT not at home - if you know what I mean! We were in room 18 and loved the location. Right on the beach with a patio off the room, beach loungers and a small pool right out in front... and the sand and the ocean just beyond. We were also right by Indigo and the pool, and found the convenience to far outweigh any noise issues.

The food was great. I agree - the menu didn't seem to change that much - but it really wasn't an issue as the food was so good I was ok with having a few things more than once. I recommend the gazpacho - best I've ever had. The majority of the seafood was really fresh and prepared very well. In addition, my husband had a special request, and they went out of their way to make that for him! Others in our group gave the pasta dishes high marks, and we all loved the food they prepared on the beach... seafood linguine, paella, etc. The pastries at breakfast were so fresh they were very often still warm - now I guess that might depend on what time you were having breakfast!! I loved the passionfruit juice and had it every morning. Also loved the scrambled eggs and wheat toast rounds. The desserts were to die for! The best part was that the meal portions, including dessert, were just the right size, so you never felt bad ordering dessert. And if by chance you were still hungry - which I never was - you could have just ordered more or asked for a bigger portion. They were also great about substituting. I really liked the sweet potatoes that came with a different entree, and it was not a problem when I asked for them instead of the rice that was supposed to come with my entree. We never ordered room service, though many in our group did, and I didn't hear complaints. I am going to miss some names, but thanks to Rosalia, Dayanara, Fernando, Joselito, Hector and the chefs for their great smiles and service.

The spa service was great. My husband and I had the couple's hot rock massage and I had a mini facial following the massage. I echo a previous review. It was wonderful. Thank you to Dori - you have wonderful hands!! I didn't catch the name of the woman who gave my husband his massage - his first ever - but he said she did a really nice job also! The steam room was VERY steamy, the sauna could have been better. The spa pool was inviting and the jets did the job.

Every day we stopped by the Cafe for some sort of coffee drink and/or tea and these delicious vanilla cookies. They were like shortbread. It was always tasty and fun to talk with Juan. Thanks for the great service.

Our room was very comfortable and inviting. I agree that the sink area in the bathroom could have used more light. Housekeeping did a really nice job, especially with the floors, as it was hard to keep from tracking sand in! At the end of the evening, it was nice to come into the room and have the bed turned down, water on the nightstand, etc. We had no problems with insects, but our room was on the main level and did not have a thatched roof. Part of your "over the top" experience was that you were to have a basket of fresh fruit every day. On the first day there was a tray of cut fruit, but any time after that we had to ask for the fruit to be delivered. That got to be annoying. You were also entitled to a bottle of champagne, which we never did ask for, and there was a bottle of rum waiting for us in the room. Mini bar service was ok - mostly we ate the Pringles!!

We had a great stay, with really only two issues. One has been noted in other reviews and that is the WIFI service. For the most part, when you go on vacation, WIFI might not be that big of a deal. But for a few reasons, we were counting on having that access. We didn't get service in our room and would end up roaming the resort, trying to connect. I also had an issue with email, but that was my problem with Charter and my ipad - it didn't have anything to do with Zoetry. The other issue we had was that my husband's fleece jacket was taken from the room sometime within the first few days. Of all the things that could have been taken, that seemed like an odd choice. You may be thinking that we just misplaced it, but I distinctly remember hanging it up in the closet when we first got there, thinking he wouldn't need that again until we left to head back to MN. The only reason I realized it was gone earlier is because the next day we were going snorkeling and it was pretty windy. I thought he might want to take it along, and that's when we discovered it was no longer there. I did report it, but it never turned up... and I got the feeling that the front desk just thought we left it somewhere. Neither issue would keep me from coming back or telling someone else not to stay here.

There is plenty to do on the resort: sailing, yoga, spa services, volleyball, spanish and/or dance lessons, horseback riding, walking the beach, game room etc. but you can also arrange for excursions. We had a great snorkeling trip (even though it was pretty windy) and also went out in an openside safari truck for a day trip. We visited a school, a ranch in the mountains where they grow cocoa and coffee beans. Also went into a home and ended up at a beautiful beach. I got some great pictures of the countryside and the people! Other people went ziplining, swam with dolphins or golfing.

I never really laid out at the pool, but I spent some time in it. Mostly we were walking/running the beach or in the ocean. We thought that the resort property was very well maintained. And you could walk the beach both directions for hours... beautiful!

We didn't really have any days that were HOT. We had wind every day, so that helped with the heat. I guess if you had planned on a beach wedding you may have been disappointed with the wind, but we were ok. We had some rain showers go through, but again, it didn't deter us from any of our activities. However, I guess the deep sea fishing was cancelled due to rough seas.

The staff at Zoetry worked hard to make our stay a great one. Often, the people who waited on you at dinner and late in the evening were also the ones that you saw the next morning at breakfast. They work long hours. As stated in a previous review, it was fun to tip them for their great service, and they did really seem to appreciate it.

This was a wonderful trip and I think everyone in our group enjoyed it. I would recommend Zoetry as a great vacation spot.

3  Thank xxoox

Dear Guest,

Thank you for take part of your valuable time, to share this review with others.

We appreciate your comments about the hotel, Staff, Activities, Pool, Food, and the effort that we do to make enjoyable your vacation here.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

My wife and I (along with 3 other couples who are friends of ours) stayed at Zoetry Agua from Jan. 16 - Jan. 20 as we were all enjoying a short vacation without our kids. I must say that I'm really shocked at some of the negative reviews this place is getting. While I wouldn't say I'm a big world traveler, I've stayed at some pretty nice resorts in the Bahamas, Turks & Caicos, and Jamaica in the past, and this place might be better than all of them.

First, let me address some of the "issues" that seem to come up the most in the reviews.

1. Mosquitoes -- Maybe it was just the time of year or all 8 of us were very lucky, but none of us had problems with mosquitoes. I got maybe 2 or 3 bites the entire trip and that's because I didn't use the mosquito spray. My wife got a few bites but also never used the mosquito spray. None of our friends complained about bites either. The resort fumigates daily and mosquitoes were not an issue (at least not for us in January). I should also say that my wife and I went to an all-inclusive 5 years ago in Jamaica and were eaten alive over there, so it's not like we never attract mosquitoes.

2. Sand fleas or chiggers -- All 8 of us were on the beach most of the day, every day, and none of us got any sand flea bites.

3. Roaches/bugs in rooms -- We had zero bugs/roaches in our room, though I took some precautionary steps that I'll mention later. Of our other friends, one found a caterpillar near the door and another found 2 roaches near the bathroom, but neither of them took any extra steps to keep bugs out like I did. They also were not bothered by it b/c they found the bugs on the floor and not in the bed or on the walls.

4. Bathroom lighting -- Definitely not bright...ladies may want to bring a lighted mirror. My wife mentioned it was a little hard to see when putting on her makeup, but she didn't complain. It adds to the ambiance of the room and doesn't attract bugs from the outside as much.

5. Dangerous steps/bridge on 2nd level -- I stayed on the bottom floor so I didn't have to deal with this much, but one of my friends stayed upstairs and I walked around up there to check out these steps and bridge. I think they look great and add to the overall feel of the resort (like the thatched roofs). I don't think they look real dangerous, but I will say you probably need to be somewhat careful. The gaps between the steps are larger than normal, and the bridge isn't always even so I could see someone possibly tripping if not paying attention.

6. Language barrier -- My wife and I do not speak Spanish outside of what we learned in HS and/or college, but there absolutely was NO language barrier in our opinion. Almost everyone we met spoke decent, or fluent, English. We had no problems with translating or with incorrect orders, etc.

7. Pool -- The pool was very nice and clean. Yes, there were a few leaves or sticks here and there, but that's b/c there's so much vegetation and trees in the area. Even that being the case, the pool was very clean as they had crew working on it all the time. There were a couple of spots that needed to be resurfaced or repainted, but again, not a big deal....still a really nice pool.

8. Beach -- Very clean, lots of recliners and umbrellas, plenty of space, some palm trees mixed in, and nice water. It wasn't the clear crystal blue water, but it was still a nice looking beach/ocean. The only complaint I have of the ocean is some of the rocks/reefs you could step on if you're not careful...they kind of sneak up on you. But again, minor complaint. I was surprised at how warm the water was for January.

9. A/C in rooms -- Our A/C worked fairly well but the air wasn't super "cold." The good thing is that there was always a nice breeze at night, so we really didn't need to have the A/C pumping much anyway. I noticed that the A/C was much stronger and colder in one of my friend's rooms (and they were staying upstairs). In fact he said it got so cold he had to turn it off one night. My other 2 friends didn't mention their A/C, so I'm guessing it wasn't an issue.

10. Distance from airport -- The resort is a solid hour from the airport. The ride isn't that bad as it's not like you're driving on dirt roads or along a mountain cliff or anything like that, but you will see people drive more aggressively as traffic laws probably aren't as stringent there as back here in the U.S. I suggest just grabbing a cerveza or two for your ride to the resort.

11. Menu -- No, the breakfast and lunch menus did not change, but it didn't bother me. Maybe if I stayed 10 days, I'd feel differently...not sure. But there is enough variety on the menu that I did not feel my options were limited. Also, you're bound to like something so much you'll have no problem ordering it again.

Here are my “positives”:

1. The service -- What more can be said that already hasn't been said. Everyone is very nice and friendly and tries to get you whatever you ask for. It truly was excellent service. I'm bad with names and I know I'm leaving out lots of people, but some of the staff that really stood out to me were Ansy, Bernardo, Francisco, Diyonara, and especially Juan (he goes by Pinya). For how small the resort is (50 or so rooms), there are tons of people that are working there. I'd bet their staff to guest ratio is pretty high.

2. The food -- It was excellent. My favorite was the food at Indigo. The Indigo is right next to the pool and just off the beach. It has your pizzas, burgers, chips and salsa/guacamole, salads, pastas, etc. It also had DR specialties like their fried chicken, white rice, plantains, etc. Everything was really good, though I liked some things better than others. Each day they also cooked something over an open flame on the beach and would serve it in the afternoon. While I was there, they did chicken/steak fajitas, seafood linguini, kabobs, and paella. The Friday night buffet on the beach was also excellent...a huge selection of fresh food.

3. The grounds -- This was kept in tip-top shape. Seriously, the pics online do not do this place justice...it's even more beautiful in real life. You'd see people edging, trimming, etc., every day.

4. The pool/beach -- As I said earlier, you could probably nitpick over a couple of things, but I thought both were great...very clean and spacious.

5. The gym -- While not large, the gym was very nice and had good cardio equipment and weights.

6. Cable TV -- They offered tons of channels, such as ESPN, E Channel, Biography, TNT, NBC, CBS, ABC, etc.

7. The Spa -- Very nice spa with indoor pool, steam room, etc. I also heard the couples' massages were great (though pricey).

8. Room Service -- We ordered it late night all 4 nights and each night they delivered in a reasonable amount of time and got the order right.

9. Fridge Restock -- No issues with this...they kept it stocked daily.

10. Shower -- Lots of water pressure and plenty of heat for your showers.

11. Phone -- The free worldwide calls was a nice feature. We actually used it quite a bit to check on the kids and didn't have to pay roaming charges from our cell phones.

12. Liquor -- I'm a vodka drinker and they had Skyy, Stoli, Finlandia, Absolut, and Belvedere (and in several different flavors as well). No Grey Goose, but I'm not complaining...a very nice, quality collection.

13. No kids -- I love my kids but didn't want to go on a vacation with a bunch of kids running around. While this resort allows kids, I didn't see one there. It's one of the reasons we chose this resort in the first place.

Here are my "minor complaints":

1. My room was very humid. I'm not sure why and I didn't call to complain as I could live with it, but you could feel the humidity in the room and all my clothes were slightly damp. I know this wasn't the case with the other rooms my friends were in. They also noticed the humidity in my room.

2. WiFi was a little spotty. You could get it out on your patio sometimes, at the front of the resort near the main reception area and business room, and on the beach interestingly enough. Not a big deal as I did not do any work while on vacation, but having WiFi working better throughout the entire resort would've been nice.

3. No swim-up bar. I already knew this going in, so I can’t complain too much…I just love swim-up bars in general.

Here are my “tips”:

1. Try to schedule spa services on Sunday if possible. Because it's a big travel day and slow day for the spa, they give you 15% off if you book a service on a Sunday.

2. In order to avoid finding bugs in my room, I placed towels at the bottom of the front door and of the sliding door that lead out to the patio. Another thing I did was spray the Raid they provide in the room around the perimeter of the doors each evening. It may sound extreme, but it only took 30 seconds and we never saw any bugs.

3. For those couples who want to spice things up in the bedroom, tune into Channel 96. This is a free channel that is not advertised or listed on the guide the resort provides you and cannot be accessed by scrolling up/down on the remote control -- you must type in "96" from the remote. It's not nearly as tame as your late night Cinemax movie...I'll just leave it at that!

4. I stayed in Room 16 which is lower level and right next to Indigo. Besides the beachfront rooms, I don't think it gets much better than this (except for the humidity issue). The location is absolutely phenomenal...next to the Indigo restaurant, near the pool, and close to the beach. You don't know how many times my wife or I would run to our room to grab something or use the bathroom and were so happy with where the room was located. I know another recent reviewer said he had Room 16 and complained about the noise of dishes and carts at 7am, but my wife and I never heard any of this. I will agree with the previous reviewer that the shower didn't drain very well b/c the drain was on a slight incline, so it didn't catch all the water. This didn't bother us much as it's not like the drain was backed up...they just need to relocate the drain.

5. It's not required, but I recommend bringing some cash for tips. We ended up spending about $150 in tips over our 4 night stay. We brought a bunch of $1s and $5s and tipped the bartender, wait staff, maids, baggage guys, etc. These tips probably mean a lot to these people and I'm sure they appreciate it greatly (and probably provide even better service). Again, not a requirement....just something I'd recommend personally.

6. If you're willing to sit through a sales pitch for an hour, you can get $100 off a spa service. We sat through a Zoetry sales pitch from a guy named Fernando who works for the corporation. They try to sell you on some discounted packages for future visits to their resorts (not just Zoetry, but Dreams, Secrets, etc. all belong to the same company). Of our group, two of us sat through the pitch while the other two refused. My sales guy was not pushy and it was over in an hour. My other friends had some lady named Brooke and said she was very aggressive, like a used car saleswoman. Neither of us purchased the package for future visits of course.

7. If you're a coffee lover, make sure you visit the little cafe. My wife said their cappuccino was amazing, one of the best she's had. She said it tasted better at the cafe than it did when ordered at Amaya for breakfast.

8. You can use the indoor pool, hot tub, steam room, etc. for free in the Spa. You do not need to order any services to use those amenities.

9. I recommend the free horseback ride...it was a lot of fun and lasted around 45 minutes.

10. Thankfully it wasn't needed, but I recommend bringing "Deep Woods OFF" which is stronger than what they provide at the resort. I'd also bring some Benadryl or Calamine lotion in case you do get bit by mosquitoes. The resort requires all men to wear long pants for dinner (it can be jeans) and I typically wore thin long sleeve shirts too, so that probably helped in being protected by mosquitoes.

11. While I didn't use the laundry service, one of my friends did and he said they did an excellent job and returned his clothes on the same day. I think the resort asks that you give them 24 hours, but it's possible to get your clothes back quicker apparently.

Sorry for the long review, but I wanted to provide something in-depth and useful since reading TripAdvisor reviews helped me so much prior to our trip. I highly recommend Zoetry Agua and hope to go back someday. If you have any questions, feel free to email me.

Room tip: We loved our room (16) as it was very close to the pool, beach, and Indigo restaurant. There'll be plenty of times where you'll need to go to your room to grab something or use the bathroom, and you'll be happy it's not far away.
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
13  Thank yolli71
uguzmanUA, Guest Relations Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Dear Guest,

We just want to thank you for having chosen our hotel for your vacation, and take part of your time to post such a in-depth and truthful review.

Will be a honor to welcoming you back for a future visit, and thanks again for everything.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

We spent our 30th Anniversary at the Zoetry Agua Punta Cana resort and couldn't have asked for a more relaxing and romantic destination. The food, room service and staff were exceptional. The staff made us feel welcome from the first step in the resort to the last. The room was fantastic and the view from our balcony was incredible. We had a romantic dinner on the beach that was just excellant.

Room tip: We had a second floor room right on the beach, view was fantastic! Woke up every morning to the sounds of the surf and great sunrises.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank Spencer571
Paco A, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for this amazing review, and for having choosed us for your memorable 30th anniversary.

Is our pleasure be at your service, and with open door to welcome you for a future anniversary vacation.

Best Regards from second home!