“"Samana was a great experience."”

Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa
Ranked #6 of 54 Hotels in Samana Province
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My daughter and I returned on April 17 after spending a fun filled week .Flight with West Jet was excellent ,on time and the crew was great.especially Tony for his valued info. Check in went very efficiently and were in our rooms within minutes .
Our hotel room was seaview on 400 level, very clean,maid service good and frig well stocked daily. We tipped the maid daily. We were not bothered by the lobby staff trying to sell time share. There was an invitation under our door, chose not to go.
Buffet restaurant was better than average. Food was presented well at the a la carte restaurants, salmon and shrimp at the Orequeida was excellent, as well as the lobster at El Pescador. Service at the Dolce Vita was slow and people who arrived last were served first, Things got a little mixed uo at times. They tried hard.
Barcardi Island trip would have been great if it didn't rain so hard, our clothes were saturated
Pineapple drinks hit the spot $5. ea and the flea market had some good deals. Beautiful beach and well worth the $20.00.
Animation staff worked long hours and there was lots of things to do if you wanted to take part. Went to a few shows, some of the costumes could use some updating, all in all not bad.
The beach was nice, not large but very dissapointed with the trash that was floating in, after that the pool was more inviting. The beach cleanup staff were kept very busy . Does not reflect well on Gran Bahia Principe Chain.
The bar staff were very friendy, especially Angel and Manuel. All the staff in general were very pleasant and helpful.
We took the hotel shuttle and went down the hill to Samana.Greeted by a young man, who became our guide, made sure we were kept safe in the stores and crossing the streets, picked up some souvenirs and shopped at the local grocery store for coffee and vanilla.
Don't be discouraged by the stairs the shuttle will pick up and drop off very quickly.

Room Tip: 400 level with seaview
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Lovely location, good food, and spotlessly clean. Friendly staff who don't seem concerned about you tipping them, but are very grateful when you do.
I judge a hotel on it's ability to rectify problems, on arrival, we were not happy with the room allocated, but with no fuss whatsoever, at the earliest opportunity, we were moved to a much nicer room. Our only other complaint, sadly, was about some Canadian guests,who seemed to think it great fun to get drunk as skunks on the day of arrival, then each and every day sit on the terrace making as much noise as possible whilst getting more drunk, and continuing their rowdy behaviour in the restaurant... I have Canadian roots (Grandfather) this was embarrassing to watch, hear. When on holiday, please remember your Country is judged by your behavior! Making stupid "whoop whoop noises is just plain idiotic and childish, and extremely annoying to your fellow guests!
Other than that, as I said, it's a lovely place, lots of interesting places to visit (the waterfall on horseback is fabulous!) as is Playa Ricon.
The beach has been awarded a blue flag, and is cleaned every day of all debris, and the water is crystal clear...please do not beoive the reports that say this is a dirty beach!
In summary, nice rooms, good food and drink. Speciality restaurants we found the Italian poor, the gourmet better, and the seafood best of all.
We have been back home now for several days.....missing it already!
We will return!

Room Tip: Beware that rooms 200+ could be on the way to the dining room, therefore very noisy at meal times!
4  Thank johnb2123
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Overall Hotel - amazing location, friendly staff with excellent service
Food- for the most part good - I am a picky eater and was still able to gain 7 lbs. even with all the stairs and walking! Ramon and Carlos in the buffet are amazing! My husband liked all the food; some others with us said it was average.

Booze - great - always available great service from Angel and Manuel in the lobby bar and from AltaGarcia our singing, dancing waitress!

Shows- only went to the magic show and as everyone says - go. They do have mini-shows at night in the lobby bar patio.

The patio was one off our favourite spots either for mid-morning coffee and cappuccinos - which are excellent!! Great place to meet up with friends before and after dinner.
Beach – Bar service excellent. We did snorkel quite a bit from both beaches so nice to have it right on the beach. We did meet some local kids on the beach; they were very friendly and respected your privacy when you wanted it.

Pools – we used all of them, but preferred the beach.

Trips-we took two – booked both with Raymond and Gregory – use them – We used them for private tours –as there were 12 people in our group and did a sailboat tour – snorkeling, lunch, drinks, beer, wine and rum, we had an amazing day!

The other tour was the ATV’s - 8 people – left at 8:30 returned about 6 – about a 45 min drive both ways to the ATV’s – lots of fun. Went to: Devils hole: Playa Rincon beach: pineapple farm, all around the county side had a fantastic lunch and a few drinks, got to stay at the beach as long as we wanted. ATV’s were in fantastic shape and somewhere brand new!
Samana – Do go into town and get out of the hotel and experience the town and the local people, they are friendly, fun and very happy people. We met great people and kids. Please if you are going, bring stuff for the locals – popular items for the kids are: tennis balls, baseballs and gloves new or used they don’t care, the love pens, pencils and note books which we can get from the dollar store here. If you have used backpacks for them they love those too! We bought most of our rum and vanilla from the local grocery store one block behind the main drag – just ask the locals, Raymond took us there. You can buy a big beer there for $2 and walk around town with it. We even got a ride back to the hotel from the local cops in the back of their pickup – drinking our beer in the back of the pick-up truck!

Tip or not to Tip- Do it. We usually left the maid $2 per day and most days items for kids, pantyhose etc. We tipped at the bars and restaurants; they do share the tips with the rest of the team in the area. Let’s face it the service and the staff deserve and appreciate it – we do it at home why not on vacation!

Would we go back – maybe – but not for a while – as we were there for two weeks, we’ve stayed at 5 Bahia’s in the DR and never been disappointed.

One Recommendation for the Bahia – is to start a community ambassador program in the schools – for recycling and also at the hotel, it is such a beautiful island with beautiful people I hate to see the garbage everywhere!

I hope you enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: We were in Room 310 - perfect views!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank nikitaandduker
Reviewed 20 April 2012

I had a wonderful time at this resort . I traveled with my mother on April 7th for one week.
Our room was originally 447 and we switched it to 431 .Great room , clean but I think the fridge was broken..They have 3 a la carte restaurants and to be honest stick with the buffet , you get a better selection. As for the pool the one next to the buffet is the best one , no need to rush plenty of space available to suntan . As for the beach it is small and quiet . Overall great place to relax.
This is in response to Paul , while I appreciate your concern , your indignation is completely unjustified - you have NO idea what actually transpired. We are simply living a teenage dream we never once got into any sort of trouble :) (bananarama) ! I hope that this may relieve some of your distress, perhaps you were too busy staring over at me to notice that the staff was completely on top of the situation . Misunderstandings aside, I do hope that your experience hasn't turned you off Cayacoa completely, because it is truly a wonderful place. Great food and atmosphere, and in my years of traveling I have never been surrounded by people that is so much a family, which is why I feel the need to defend it as I would any of my other friends or family. Despite how it may have seemed to you, the management and staff at the hotel were not annoyed . My party rockin' friends have the utmost respect and consideration for each other.
So come on in again, and give us another shot...who knows - maybe, just maybe, you will see what the fuss is about; and perhaps you will become one of us !!!!

By the way nobody ever claimed to be downhill skiers or gold medalists .
We never spoke so please get your facts together and don't worry about me !

Eiffel Tower Live On !!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank hannahb379
Reviewed 20 April 2012

I will start by saying we have travelled extensively, both in Europe and Caribbean so we have stayed in all kinds of resorts from basic self catering to the highest quality all inclusives. The GBP chain we have previously found to be solid and good value so when we booked Gran Bahia Principe in Cayacoa we thought we would have a fun, solid vacation after visiting both Runaway Bay in Jamaica and Esmerelda in Punta Cana...how wrong could we be.

First impressions were good, we landed in the middle of a rain storm (which was repeated every day during our holiday) and as we flew directly from Toronto to Samana the transfer was short at 45 mins. Check in was quick and simple and our room was a standard seaview which we got and had no complaints with. We were further greeted with a fruit tray which was a nice touch and a small bottle of rum and Bahia t-shirts so first impressions were smile worthy although we were travel weary and so fell into bed early on our first night with high hopes for our first full day.

Day one's good impression went steadily downhill until we were almost desperate for our week to be over and the return flight home...

The beach is a public beach and not for sole use of the hotel guests which didnt worry us but the reality was that we were constantly followed by local vendors who congregate under the Bridge to Nowhere trying to sell you paintings etc, no matter how many times you politely decline their offerings you are asked time and time again until we gave up going on the beach and instead stayed within the main hotel grounds so that we were left alone in some peace! The beach is small anyway and not attractive with constant 'GARBAGE' being washed up. The beach guys do work hard to try and keep the beaches clean but this is a constant job as the sea was literally sparkling with garbage, polystyrene trays, cups, bottles and all kinds of other delights headed towards the beach. I dont believe all this garbage is from cruise ships as I've seen on other reviews as the contents are more household items such as empty fabric softener bottles, oil bottles etc.... There were even locals throwing glass bottles of beer to each other in the sea and then they casually walked away and left their garbage floating around ... ???? We gave up on the main beach and instead opted for the smaller beach near the snack bar although most of that has been washed away and it is more of a rocky bay than the sandy pictures I have seen online and again this was constantly littered with floating garbage.

But ....if you are looking for peace and quiet then do not go through the hotel lobby as there you will be harrassed by Premier club representatives offering dull gifts if you will sit through an hour + of their sales speil trying to have you spend $10,000 on becoming a member of the Bahia and RUI group, pushy and will not back off no matter how many times you say you are not interested so we went along and got our free bottle of rum and lost 2 hours of our day.

Food .... we struggled and had trouble finding decent food and lived mainly on rice, pasta and salads as the meats were either overcooked, unidentifiable poor quality or simply not appetizing. The best breakfast was the freshly made ommelettes and they were very good but you cant really mess up an ommelette! Potatotes and other vegetables were served day after day it seemed and often had the look that they had been served the day before! Desserts were overly and artificially sweet, the best thing about both the buffet and the a'la cart restaurants was the door out, food was more of a 3* level than the 5* Bahia advertise themselves as. Not sure exactly what did it but I was sick with an upset stomach for most of the week we were there and am only now finding my stomach is settting and I didnt drink the water etc ....

Drinks .....watered down and tasteless. Presidente beer only served in the bars, mini bar is stocked with the local fizzy hogwash that shouldnt even be labelled as beer. The cocktails etc were syrupy sweet and artificial tasting so we winded up buying our own Rum and mixing our own drinks in the room!! Dont try asking for ice in your room, the communication problems meant asking for anything turned into an impromptu game of charades and so I'm only glad I didnt have to ask for toilet tissue!!

Locals....we decided to venture into town which looked a short walk and very pretty from the hotel terrace. Almost the moment we stepped out of the hotel grounds we had guys on scooters etc chasing us offering us a ride. That continues the whole time you are out of the hotel grounds with countless scooter boys following you around, then as soon as you hit the town you have local vendors etc trying to pull you into their stores to buy their overpriced holiday goods. We did venture into a store and found 2 coffee mugs and an ashtray and were told a 'GOOD PRICE FOR PRETTY LADY' of $87!!!! Obviously they felt their products were of such high value they overpriced them, if anyone is willing to spend that kind of money on holiday tat then go shopping in Samana town... There is a huge communication problem with very few locals speaking any English. I often feel we are as much to blame for that barrier as we are travelling to their country but communication became frustrating at times and if the locals couldnt make themselves understood you got the impression they were mocking and joking with each other at your expense.

Weather .... we had one full day of heavy rain during our stay, the majojrity of the week was either cloudy or rainy with only the odd hour here and there of sun. I believe this is because the resort is located in the peninsula and so it is naturally wetter than the Punta Cana area of the Dominican.

Would we go back??? HELL NO
Would we recommend this resort????? HELL NO!!!!
Spend a couple hundred more dollars and go somewhere else unless you are prepared to accept low quality and bad service.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
4  Thank Anne_Marie187
Reviewed 20 April 2012

what a fantastic place to stay . Stayed there from April 7th for 1 week with friends and it was great ! First off let me just say if your planing to travel there dont book junior suites it is too far from the main pool the beach and other main attractions. We had a regular room and decided to upgrade and regret it ! We travelled with Air Canada Vacations and Joel was the rep. very nice and helpful.

The Food : Buffet has a better selection than the restaurants, we were disappointed at the a la carte restaurants.

Also no cappucinos until 10am as the main lobby bar only opens at 10.

Beach : Very small and the water is not clear but still nice , the main pool is great and very clean.

THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE A QUIET RESORT BUT DURING THE STAY WE HAD TO DEAL WITH SOME VERY ANOYING KIDS , THEY WERE SKI ATHLETES FROM ALBERTA , WE WERE AT THE DISCO AND THEY WERE DRUNK AND INNAPROPRIATE AS I AGREE WITH A VERY VERY SMOKIN' YOUNG LADY WHO WAS JUST AS BAD AS THOSE KIDS. YOUR PARENTS MUST BE ASHAMED . IT WAS EMBARRASING TO SEE THEM BEHAVE AS SORT.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank andre_1261
Reviewed 19 April 2012

We stayed at Cayacoa from April 10-17 2012 in room 536. It was a birthday trip for my husband and our third stay at a Bahia Principe. I emailed ahead of time and they put t shirts,rum and a beautiful fruit basket, and they decorated the room with balloons. Let me say this is a very clean facility. Our room was spotless and the maid staff was top notch, a special thank you goes out to Morena as she did a wonderful job on our room. The lobby bar was very nice with really amazing drinks thanks to Angel and Manuel(loved the mojitos and chocolate monkeys)Overall the food was very good in the buffet, however they should really watch out when they put the signs up stating what everything is because a few times we encountered things that were mislabelled.
As for the a la cartes, the gourmet restaurant was OK but the service was poor. We did not receive our welcome cocktail upon arrival. I think the servers need some further training in fine dining as I did not feel it was a true gourmet experience,in comparison to other Bahias we have been to. The Italian and Seafood Restaurants were amazing. The menus were very good and a special thank you to Emperatriz for her excellent service. Overall staff in both of those restaurants were top notch. A special thank you also needs to be mentioned to a very sweet and friendly girl named Emmi who was the hostess at the buffet. Her warm smile and friendly personality were very nice to see.
Now for the areas that need to be worked on...The pool filtration system was not working well during our stay as the pool was quite dirty and there was not enough staff around the pool keeping it clean. There should be more service around the pool overall and something needs to be done about the umbrellas. On a really windy day they will blow into the pool as they are not very secure. We seen this happen a couple of times and guests were fishing out the umbrellas on their own.
The beach was a disappointment. We encountered garbage in the water and along the shoreline the first couple of days. Yes it is a public beach, however, they need to keep it cleaner as I think it reflects back on the overall standards of a Bahia.
Upon our arrival I found the entrance to the resort starting with the road to the resort being littered with garbage on both sides of the road. The front of the resort looks tired and could use a good paint job and maybe a tiled roof. It did not have the wow factor found in other Bahias we have been to.
The lower beach where the villas are needs some work as it was really heavily littered with garbage and the gardens were not manicured at all down there.
This resort has the potential to be spectacular, it has just been a bit neglected. I really hope they take the time to work it into the gem it can be. Would we go back, yes if it was a good price but not for the full price we paid.

Room Tip: Stick to the fifth floor seaview suites. Avoid the 100's and 200s for the noise factor as these...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Samana Province
21.7 km away
Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo
7.2 km away
Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado
7.2 km away
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don...
#1 of 54 in Samana Province
Grand Paradise Samana
#4 of 4 in Las Galeras
96.4 km away
Grand Bahia Principe San Juan

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa? Share your experiences!