“La toubana beach bar guadeloupe/ zero stars”

La Toubana Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Sainte-Anne
Reviewed 28 March 2012

We went w somw friends at the end of our Brunch to the beach bar to finish they off with some champagne. Needless to say we were almost thrown off the beach because we arrived at a quarter to five They literally chased us off the pier and when we went up to the bar , the were rude as h}#%%^*! We were finally allowed to order a bottle of champagne but only if we paid upfront right away. We sat there and tried to drink the libetions , but they did everything they could to make us leave with lots of noise and disgrunteled gestures as they tore down the beach chairs.
The french in Guadloupe really need a reality check if they want any more tourists to come back. I would highly recommend going to the other French islands like St Martin. Or St Barts where at least they understand the sense of hospitalty.
I truly recommend to stay away from La Toubana Beach

Stayed: February 2012
6  Thank Americanaenparis

Reviewed 7 January 2012

My husband and I just got back from a 4 day stay at La Toubana. We enjoyed ourselves! The staff was quite friendly and spoke enough English to allow for good communication (we speak minimal French). The breakfast was good and the beach/pool areas were wonderful.

A couple of things - If a room with a view is important, make sure you request this. I was under the impression that all of the cottages had a good view of the ocean. We did - if you walked to end of our patio. That was a bit of a disappointment for me, however, our room was large and we had a retracting window from our kitchenette to the patio, which I liked. Given where our room was situated, we had complete privacy (#23). The room was a little worn and could use some updating. We also had an issue with the safe and the a/c that were not reconciled by the hotel. However, they do have safe deposit boxes at the front desk that we used and we were able to turn the temperature down on the second a/c unit in the cottage.

The description above sounds like this should have been rated a 3 or lower, but, we found the property overall very charming and relaxing. The views from the pool area were magnificent and made for an enjoyable dining experience at breakfast and dinner. The path to the beach is pretty steep, but, this was not a problem for us.

The hotel is close to the town of St Anne, but I would not recommend walking to town given the traffic on the main road and for the fact there are no sidewalks.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank crapipa
Reviewed 16 August 2011

We arrived at TOUBANA after 5 nights @ LE JARDIN MALANGA, both hotel owned by the same company: http://www.deshotelsetdesiles.com/. We spent before 6 nights in Martinique @ Hotel Plein Soleil.

We 've planned this trip -last minute- for our honeymoon. Quite interesting the difference in terms of contacts we got on the different hotels. So easy to make something small , to say some words or have a little chat to a "young" couple. At TOUBANA, it miss something I can sum up easily: Authenticity in the contact. Smiles were present upfront but didn't seems sincere and not even one word like: congratulation we are happy for you (just can I make a copy of your voucher)

Is it so difficult to be a little more "proactive", "sincerely customer friendly" I don't thing so... May be next time? There is a few small things missing. I want to mention that the SPA personal is good, the team to clean the room are friendly but ...

If I may make a suggestion to the boss of this hotel group, please send Mr FABRE (Directeur Jardin Malanga) to the TOUBANA to wake up this team. With some small good advises I am sure he can give the TOUBANA will really become a good Hotel and not only because of his location (or restaurant ?...), or old reputation ... otherwise it will decline... for me it's a written story.

we wish you all the best

Marc & B

Room Tip: ask room / bungalow with view
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Otima
Reviewed 26 April 2011

We had booked a cottage over a year ago through RCI. We arrived last Saturday only to be told there are "technical difficulties with RCI" and we were sent to antoher town 1/2 hour away in St. Francois BWA Chik for 5 nights of our 7 night stay. LaToubana location is divine and we expected our cottage on the cliffs overlooking the ocean. What we got was a loft hotel room overlooking a busy street no where near the ocean. They called us back to La Toubana for the last two nights of our trip.

The staff never did explain what the difficulties were with RCI but they have recently lost their RCI designation. I am not surprised. The location and view were spectacular but a good view does not make up for a unkept unit, and lack of maintenance. The chairs outside were broken, the chaise lounges are worn and moldy. The kitchen stove and fridge work well, There are no utensils for cooking though and thankfully we brought our own spatula and steak knives. However the corners were dirty and the lamps were dusty. I wiped down the counter myself uponn arrrival as it had not been wiped off. Timeshare people are not made to feel very welcome. The staff was responsive when I locked us out of our safe, I speak French which is strongly recommended if you want to travel to Guadeloupe. At the end of our stay I asked if there was something they could do for us as we did not feel we got the value of our vacation. I was given the manager's card and was asked to write an e mail. They gave me a bogus email address as the email bounced back twice. The last name of the manager is the same as the owner of the chain of hotels in the French Antilles so our expectation of a response is low. In looking through old reviews, it seems La Toubana has pulled this trick before. Great location but bad service.

Room Tip: Don't book with a timeshare.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank jsdp
Reviewed 26 April 2011

I spent a week at the La Toubana and I completely recommend this hotel.
The staff is warm and very kind. Rooms are clean and ones with ocean view are amazing. I also definitely suggest the restaurant, even if you (quite unfortunately) don't eat seafood.
The location of the hotel is close to some of the outstanding beaches in Guadeloupe, but if you want to go to BasseTerre, they have a twin hotel there, so you can spend a day to see that beautiful part of the island (well I should say island).
You "must" try the spa and their treatments, the staff is very professional and the experience was simply unforgettable!

Room Tip: Definitely try the spa!
Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 December 2010

I had read the varying reviews before we went and now understand how they could range from excellent to terrible. We used RCI exchange and got a "timeshare" unit. There has been a lot of deferred maintenance in our unit. Freshly painted but the closet doors were off their tracks and some modification to the closet prevented them from returning to the slides. The two burner hob was very rusty, but cleaned up it worked well enough. There was a nice toaster and a coffee maker. Minimal pots, pans and utensils (but we had brought our own good knives, dish detergent and paper towels.) The bracket that holds the hand shower was broken when we checked in late Saturday, but it was fixed by Tuesday. The chaise lounge covers outside were moldy and dirty (as reported in another review) but I stripped them off and left them at the door on Wednesday (housekeeping day for timeshares). They were replaced with nice clean ones. The outside furniture suffers from exposure in general.
All the managers spoke adequate English and were generally accommodating and friendly. The beach bar was nice and the fresh squeezed limes in the Daiquiri were welcome. The beach area has just completed a complete refurbishment and is really quite nice. The pool is lovely and has great views of sunsets over the disappearing edge. The restaurant was OK, but pricey and the service was not superb. There were problems resulting from English by the waiter and our limited French and perhaps a shortage of staff that night.
Our timeshare unit was at the very back of the property and had no view of the ocean, but was very quiet and private. We could see that the hotel units all had lovely sea views and their outdoor furniture looked new. I am sure the hotel units are very nice. I would recommend the hotel, but warn timeshare exchanges to expect problems and a less comfortable visit.. When exchanging from an RCI Gold Crown to lesser resorts, RCI had in the past warned us. They did not this time and really should have.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank fullervi
Reviewed 21 December 2010

Le Toubana is a typical French orientated hotel, not to big so it could have a personal touch. The first thing what catches the eye is the wonderful pool + view. There are not a lot of beach chairs available, so if you come later in the day, you might to sit at a table..
There is a private beach but it is quite a steep walk down and off course up again...
During our stay, some were modifications being made at the beach facilities but I'm sure that they are well finished by now and that the result is very nice
The food is very good; the menu offers a wide range of choices.
Breakfast is basic, e.g. fried eggs are not offered.
We stayed at a bay view suite, where we had a stunning view at the sunset. We had a small garden with 2 beach chairs, with enough privacy. The only pity was that there was a small ugly fence which spoiled the view..
The bed in our nice big room was excellent !!
The town and nice beach of Saint-Anne is close but you will still need a car to get there.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TomGemoets
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sainte-Anne
11.3 km away
35.8 km away
Le Jardin Malanga
Le Jardin Malanga
#1 of 3 in Trois Rivieres

Been to La Toubana Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!