Lowest prices for your stay
US$91
View deal
Free cancellation until 21-05-21
Hotels.com
Travelocity
Orbitz.com
Expedia.comUS$91
Destinia.com
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed December 2, 2015

Let us start with the positive aspects: The view from the terrace is nice and the rooms are clean.

Unpleasant: The hotel is a bit difficult to find and the road is a little dangerous, but travels to Haiti tend to be a adventurous, anyway. However, there is no restaurant at the Hotel, so you are obliged to go up and down that road to find food in town, even during hours of darkness.

False promises: The website promises air-conditioning and WIFI. However, air-conditioning only works at night (you will find a notice in small print at the reception desk...once you have arrived) and the WIFI does not work in the rooms. WIFI only available at the bar and it is very slow. If you prefer to work in a silent environment and depend on Internet / Email, no chance you will be happy. More surprises in the morning: Cold shower! and no tea is served.

Unsafe: As for the security side of my room, you cannot lock the sliding doors and the lock for a rusty burgle bar door was not working, so my room was accessible from the outside at all times.

When my colleague and I tried to negotiate with the staff, we had to find out that the reception is usually abandoned. Once you find a member of staff, you will be baffled by their lack of ability to assit you. A phone call to a rather arrogant Directress was a sad highlight of our business trip.

To sum it up: If you lie to me on the Internet, don't be surprise to find a bad review.

Date of stay: December 2015
Trip type: Travelled on business
7  Thank Ben D
Reviewed June 21, 2015

We stumbled upon this hotel by accident while searching for another hotel. It worked out well as it is one that is recommended by Lonely Planet. It's tucked away at the end of the city and secured behind a gate. No restaurant but so glad they told ys to go to The Boulevard. Had an amazing evening at La Kay!

Stunning views of the water and the hotel itself is very clean. The staff were helpful and nice. Rooms were large with two comfy beds and great shower pressure! A very nice way to end our Haiti road trip! My only complaint is that breakfast was to be served at 7 AM and we waited around until 7:20 AM but we had to leave to catch a bus back to the Dominican Republic.

Date of stay: May 2015
Trip type: Travelled with friends
4  Thank Jooolz1976
Reviewed June 18, 2015

We were actually looking for a different hotel when we came across this one right at the end of the road. Perched up on the hill looking out over the Atlantic Ocean, the Rival Hotel is immaculately clean and quite well priced with a large assortment of big, spacious rooms to choose from. Lots of hot water in the big bathrooms and beds that are big and comfortable too. We felt very secure and safe, which is important in Cap. There isn't a restaurant for meals which is a shame - but Lakay is just down the road. We were told that there would be a continental breakfast but after waiting for 20 minutes no one morning no food arrived and we had to leave to catch our bus to the Dominican - that was my only complaint about this place.

Room tip: Definitely get a room with an Ocean view and balcony
Date of stay: May 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank WorldVoyager
Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is located right on the beach so all rooms and the restaurant have a stunning view of the sea. The rooms are huge but since the hotel is located at the edge of Cap-Haitien and may not have much guests, pillows and sheets smell a bit dusty/moldy. The room I stayed in had a small kitchen, but I didn't use it as I only stayed two days and saw no need to prepare my own food. There aren't much amenities in the room, so bring all your own toiletries and drinking water. Water from the faucets taste a bit salty (probably due to close proximity to the sea). Staff are very nice. Internet is good depending on your location (the best connection I got was in the hotel restaurant). The hotel provides a delicious breakfast of fruits, omelette, coffee, juice, and toast but no other meals are available.

Date of stay: July 2014
2  Thank Julie L
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I'm shocked at the reviews that claim there are no attractions nearby. Besides the absolutely stunning views of the ocean, and the hugely popular public beach (Rival Beach) where you can people-watch and mingle with the locals, there are three forts. Two are passed on your way to the hotel, and include some really amazing cannons from at least the 1800s if not before. And then Picolette is right around the bend from the beach (away from town, and you do have to ford the water for about four steps at low tide. Don't get stuck over there when the tide comes in!) That fort is one of the most beautiful ruined forts in Haiti, with stunning views and photo ops.

Come on, people, you're in Haiti, one of the most un-westernized places on earth (there's not even a McDonald's anywhere in the country). Please don't act like you're going for a pampered trip to Orlando. You won't have the opportunity like this much longer. Enjoy the history and diversity.

As far as the roads, I find it ammusing that it's a complaint. How DID you get to Cap Haitien? The roads are not bad by Haitian standards, and no doubt will continue to improve. If you are afraid, get a Haitian to drive you. Promise, they won't "topple into the sea."

Room tip: Get a view of the water for sure!
Date of stay: March 2013