“Great and authentic”

Smokeez
Ranked #69 of 139 Restaurants in Montego Bay
Price range: US$5 - US$25
Reviewed August 2, 2018

Smokeez offers a relaxed and casual environment, with a beautiful view of the sea. Time your visit right and you may just experience a gorgeous sunset. The food is also great, and prepared fresh so there might be a little wait; however, it is worth it. I visited twice and definitely enjoyed the authentic vibe of this restaurant!

Reviewed August 1, 2018 via mobile

I went with my husband and daughters for dinner in a Thursday night only to find that they were out of several items on an already limited menu. The food was ok but over priced....not that we knew until we paid since there are no prices listed on the menu. The main courses don't come with any sides and the only ones available when we went were bammy and festival. The escoviched fish was tasty but without sufficient sides we left not feeling satisfied. The ribs were ok. A little kick to them which would have been nice to know in advance as we ordered it for our 3 and 7 year olds. I wouldn't go back. Slow service (though very friendly) and limited menu. We've definitely had much better local cuisine at similar establishments.

Reviewed July 16, 2018 via mobile

My newly acquainted dive buddy and I asked our taxi driver for local food by the ocean. What we got was Smokeez. When he first pulled up next to a boutique hotel that looks run down and abandoned, and led us through an iron gate, I wondered what we had gotten ourselves into. Soon enough that courtyard opened onto another with green grass and tables. Due to the time of day, and the fact that there was only one shade tree, the crowd of people were under a carport type enclosure cheering the World Cup on a big TV. There were a couple of cats hanging out (a good sign since our driver said authentic places should have an animal or two). I sat at the end of the bar… It was in the shade, nearest the ocean and the service. I started with a red stripe (perfect after a day of diving) and perused a menu of local favorites. Prices were notably absent, but I was assured my meal would be no more than I could afford (?!) I warned the servers that my pocket was not bottomless, and they told me it was OK. On the advice of the bartender, I settled on curried conch with a side of bammy. The wait was long, but I had nowhere to be. It was so long that when the food finally came I had to order another red stripe to get it down. The curry, as they say where I am from, made me want to slap somebody, and I mean that in the best way. If you aren’t used to conch, it comes across as rubbery. In that case order curry something else, because the taste was phenomenal. The bammy was super crisp… So satisfying that I saved one whole cake of it for after the food and ate it almost has a crunchy dessert. It took forever to get our checks. The receipt was indecipherable and in local currency. We were told we owed about $20 apiece. I explained all I had was a $20 so I could leave no tip. As we were walking away, they came out to say that they had accidentally messed up the exchange and that actually our bill was three dollars more than they had said… I figure (hope) this is how they got the tip. My buddy reached into his wallet and pulled out a five. I chalked it up to a rewarding cultural experience.

Tips:

Our driver was also our DM at Dive For Fun, so if you dive or want a water tour, look them up (see my review).

Definitely go to Smokeez, but not when you are in a hurry. Be careful what you order… DO NOT look over the menu and decide what sounds best to you. Find out what they have, what is fresh and already made, or what is good that day. If you have a limit to what you can spend, tell them in advance, since there are no prices. When I go back, I think I’ll say “I have X amount of money. What can I get for that?”

Thanks Kamara and Racquel- I had a lovely time.

Reviewed June 14, 2018 via mobile

Went expecting good food like on a previous visit in 2016 as a great location on the ocean. However, after over 30 minutes of waiting for a menu, trying to place an order with a distracted server over 3 visits to our table, finally found out jerk chicken and some side dishes -- and this was at 630pm -- were out.

Likely never to return and if do, even before sitting down, will ask if out of any food.

Other establishments nearby, while are not on the ocean, make very good food.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed May 21, 2018 via mobile

I visited smokeez 3x during my 7 day visit in Montego Bay, after trying conch several times in Bahamas, I really wasn't a fan of conch, but after trying it at smokeez it changes my opinion of grilled conch, the spice was just perfect and I really enjoyed it. Roxanne made the atmosphere fun and welcoming! Thanks for a great time!

Date of visit: May 2018